The new rule at sit down restaurants..

glencoe

DIS Veteran
I have made a new rule for our family when we are at a sit down restaurant for a nice meal. What do I mean by nice? Well in the parks and on a schedule I don't mind efficient service (in and out in 45 min-1 hour average) however at Disney Springs for example when we have the time and want to enjoy the meal, we follow a new plan. Here it goes..

Don't order your drinks/apps/entree at the same time.

We generally are informed of where we are going, have a kid with Celiac so we don't stare at the menu for long. So we are most often ready to order all up front. Unfortunately this has created a problem. It happened at the Boathouse last June in Disney springs (other places too, but this was the worst ever) We arrived at 6:50 for a 7pm reservation. We were sat immediately. Drink orders in, Chef came to table and spoke with my son about celiac order. We placed our orders.. Sat back for a nice dinner, we were dropping him for the college program so we wanted to enjoy this last meal with him until next visit.
Salad came, I was on my second bite of salad and then our stuffed lobsters arrived. 7:13!!!!! ( I kid you not) You would think it was impossible to cook a stuffed lobster that fast.....I guess not.
Our server saw the look on our faces and apologized and sent them back "to make new ones" . Then not even 5 minutes later another runner came back with the same buggers and just dumped them on the table (we were still working on our salad/apps).
I have not idea what was going on back in the kitchen, but we did not order cheap, weren't on the dining plan (we were going to use TIW but that was not a factor at that time). Honestly not sure if any of that is truly a reason but just putting that out there. I still nicely tipped our waiter as he seemed to be trying to fix the problem, spoke to management on way out as well. They offered up return visit with "something nice" but I will probably never return....there are way to many options at Disney to take a chance of a repeat.

So the end finally of this story/review of sorts. Separate your app/entree order, hopefully the server doesn't hold up the app order to enter all at once though. That way you wont have the dreaded entree on top of unfinished app issue, or the "rushed meal" feeling. I am courteous of using a table past a reasonable time, I always tip above the 18% mandatory TIW added tip as well. We go out alot and follow responsible dining rules, however I always hope the server/kitchen/runners do their job as well!!

Thank you for sharing your experience and commenting on this. We noticed this was becoming an increasingly large problem during our last stay (August 2017). 'Ohana really tried to have us in and out as quickly as possible, as did Via Napoli and Grand Floridian Cafe to a lesser extent. There's something to be said about being able to sit down for a while and relax at a Table Service restaurant at WDW-- it's largely why we book them, to sit down and not have to run around for an hour and a half or so.

We had a similar experience( though not as bad as yours) at The Boathouse last year. We did order the drink before anything else so maybe that helped but there was no time between our salad & soup before we got our entrees. We had a much more relaxed lunch at Mama Melrose where we were expecting rushed service.

I have made a new rule for our family when we are at a sit down restaurant for a nice meal. What do I mean by nice? Well in the parks and on a schedule I don't mind efficient service (in and out in 45 min-1 hour average) however at Disney Springs for example when we have the time and want to enjoy the meal, we follow a new plan. Here it goes..

Don't order your drinks/apps/entree at the same time.

We generally are informed of where we are going, have a kid with Celiac so we don't stare at the menu for long. So we are most often ready to order all up front. Unfortunately this has created a problem. It happened at the Boathouse last June in Disney springs (other places too, but this was the worst ever) We arrived at 6:50 for a 7pm reservation. We were sat immediately. Drink orders in, Chef came to table and spoke with my son about celiac order. We placed our orders.. Sat back for a nice dinner, we were dropping him for the college program so we wanted to enjoy this last meal with him until next visit.
Salad came, I was on my second bite of salad and then our stuffed lobsters arrived. 7:13!!!!! ( I kid you not) You would think it was impossible to cook a stuffed lobster that fast.....I guess not.
Our server saw the look on our faces and apologized and sent them back "to make new ones" . Then not even 5 minutes later another runner came back with the same buggers and just dumped them on the table (we were still working on our salad/apps).
I have not idea what was going on back in the kitchen, but we did not order cheap, weren't on the dining plan (we were going to use TIW but that was not a factor at that time). Honestly not sure if any of that is truly a reason but just putting that out there. I still nicely tipped our waiter as he seemed to be trying to fix the problem, spoke to management on way out as well. They offered up return visit with "something nice" but I will probably never return....there are way to many options at Disney to take a chance of a repeat.

So the end finally of this story/review of sorts. Separate your app/entree order, hopefully the server doesn't hold up the app order to enter all at once though. That way you wont have the dreaded entree on top of unfinished app issue, or the "rushed meal" feeling. I am courteous of using a table past a reasonable time, I always tip above the 18% mandatory TIW added tip as well. We go out alot and follow responsible dining rules, however I always hope the server/kitchen/runners do their job as well!!
I think this would be more helpful on the main Dining Forum thread, not here on the Dining REVIEW Forum

I have noticed the speed up mentality but I have my own cure. I cheerfully send the stuff back until we are ready and to make sure they don't send my back the same food which got flavorless under a heat lamp I make small cuts in the meat of example that I can recognize. Le Cellier once tried to send me the same steak back 30 minutes later but I cheerfully pointed out that I eat my steaks very rare and the one they gave me was the old one and it wasn't rare the 1st time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter