Mini TR for another Boston Road Trip - updated Nov 22

I always have that same fear of missing my FP day!

I actually got a reminder today from TouringPlans.com that I signed up for, and it told me my FP day is tomorrow - which is good because by my calculations I thought it was Saturday! So I'm glad I did that!

When I was solo without a hopper, I could just try for FOP every day and change my intended park for the day if I got a pass. If you get it, great! If not, you can try modifying your FP+ throughout the day to see if anything becomes open.

This is a good strategy!! Although I have some things I can't be that flexible with unfortunately because for the first week, we will be with friends who got the 4 day 1 park per day passes - and we're doing a dessert party at HS one day so that has to be our HS day...so I just have to cross my fingers for getting some good FP's on that day... for the second half of our trip though we will have hoppers so I can be a bit more flexible!

ETA: Ugh, I'm afraid that my next trip now is not going to be until fall 2021!

Ugh that is too bad!! Although I'm pretty sure after this year of trying to make the most of my AP, I may have to take a break the following year...but you never know...

Another thing I'm curious about...the dates of the AP - I purchased it online a couple days ago, but our actual first park day isn't until March 8. So will my AP expire a year after the first actual park day used? Or will it be the day that it was purchased online? Hoping it's the actual park day...something to research.

It's just over a month out...and I'm switching things around all the time...

In case anyone's following just to recap the PTR and park days - just in case any DisMeets may work out too, I have switched some park days around, so here's where it stands now:

Sunday March 8 - MK - hope to be there from RD until about 2, then break, then back for evening, possibly with stop at TS at the Poly

Monday March 9 - EP - again hope to RD and afternoon break, then return in evening for the F&G FOOD!

Tuesday March 10 - get up crazy early and RD HS and hopefully get boarding group for ROTR, afternoon break and then back for Fantasmic dessert party

Wed March 11 - non parks day - we may go to DS or BW or something, have to pick up my mom at MCO

Thursday March 12 - Universal Studios/US IOA day

Friday March 13 - MK day

Saturday March 14 - Morning rest/pool time - late afternoon AK day!

Sunday March 15 - MK for morning with BOG breakfast at 10am, afternoon break then EP for evening and dinner at La Hacienda for nighttime show

Monday March 16 - Non parks day, maybe DS or BW, or resort hopping, maybe same day ADR

Tuesday March 17 - Morning AK, afternoon break then maybe hop to HS or other park

Wednesday March 18 - EP morning, possibly back at night or hop to other park later in the day

Thursday March 19 - non parks day, maybe pool, more resort hopping, possibly downtown Orlando

Friday March 20 - HS day, afternoon break, then back to HS, dinner at 50's Prime Time

Saturday March 21 - Last day - spend some time in MK but not too late!

Update: I suck at Disney Math!

Got up at 6:45 am today thinking it was FP+ day for March 8...but I can only do until the 7th today...so that means...not only can't make FP's today but have to get up early again tomorrow lol

Just since I was up I checked for any FP's for Minnie and Mickey's RR or SR, and no luck, Same for SDD....I guess we will just have to get there super early and try to ride one of those, while hopefully waiting for our boarding group for ROTR. I guess for my friends with only one day at HS....I think they will be out of luck for riding more than one of these headliners....

I do think it's sad that the system and Disney's greed....sadly have gotten to a place where if you want to ride all the popular rides you pretty much have to stay onsite, or stay long enough for more than one day at each park, otherwise wait for many hours...and then you will just run out of time! Sorry to be negative Disney...I love you but it's pretty sad. It doesn't bother me for myself because I will have enough days to hopefully try to get on more than one headliner in the trip...but for my friends doing one park per day with just one day at each...that's just sad that even that, which still costs and arm and a leg...is not enough to have a reasonable shot :(((

Sorry...vented a little there...I'm just a little sad about that because my friends are so excited about going....

Anyway...wishing luck for tinkering with FP's every day for the next month lol

OK so rant over...I'm still annoyed that I don't think we have any hope of getting top rides,....but my math wasn't so bad after all! It was actually today, I just was a couple of minutes early!!

Our first day is MK, so I'm reasonably happy with what I got - couldn't get 7DMT, but I did get Pirates, Buzz and Jungle Cruise for my son who is a ride wimp like me, and Space Mountain for everyone else. I had wanted to get BTMR but there was no hope for that. I will keep trying but it's a tough call because I really want all the ones we have too!! Does Pirates have shorter wait times than BTMR if I can get it? Not sure what to do...

In any case I'm not as worried about MK...but today's experience doesn't give me too much hope for our HS day! Also...now I will be getting up every day at 6:45 for the next two weeks to do FPs...I think I will have to just put a list beside my bed and roll over and try to get on...although half asleep FP'ing may not be wise...who knows what we may end up with lol

Crickets in here, guess no one wants to listen to me rant about FP selection lol

In any case, I have resigned myself to the fact that we will have fun at Disney even if we don't get all the FP's we want, we just have to accept that!

I've gotten the FP selection down at least - set alarm for 6:55am every day, get up and do FP's...and go back to bed lol. Of course no more sleep is really possible because then I start second guessing my choices lol

IN any case, I've got our EP day down for March 9, Even though I'm not sure I will go on TT, I grabbed FP's for that and I figure we will RD Soarin'. I also got SE since I read that will be down for refurb sometime soon and want to make sure I get on before that! And then even though it's kind of a waste of FP, I got the Land. I love that ride mind you but it doesn't really need an FP, but not much else to use it on with the dang tiers. I do hope to get on Frozen but since my kids and I will have more days there I can worry about that later. I am second guessing whether Soarin' would have been a better use of FP, but what can you do, it's done and now nothing is available so I will live with it...although no doubt tinker later!

Tomorrow is FP day for our first HS day for March 10...that is the one I really don't know what to do with. I mean ideally I'd love to score an FP for either SR or MMRR but that doesn't seem likely with staying offsite and our 30 day window. So if I don't get either of those..I have no clue what to even book for HS, since no one in our group has the balls for either TOT or RNRC so....Indiana Jones? Muppets? Maybe Star Tours? Oh TSMM for sure if we can get that so there's one...but what the heck else?

I also just read they changed HS hours for our trip to 8am...at first I was annoyed because I thought, great...now we have to get there even earlier...but the thing was I think we were gonna try to be super early anyway so .....doesn't really make much difference, except that you can't actually "book" a boarding group until the park actually opens...so now...what time to aim for arrival? 7:00 am? Who knows...and how busy will getting into parking etc be at that time?

When you think about this it's really absurd....hoping my family and friends will be ok with getting up that early...or just accepting we won't get on and not be pissed about it...that's the kicker lol

OK so I've gone and done a spreadsheet

I KNEW IT! ;) I knew you would.

Not sure anyone's reading

I am, but took a couple of weeks off as I got ready for and started work again after surgery. Tough transition but sure got me behind here.

We ARE mid day break people,

How long are you budgeting for travel, bag check, etc...??

AND I AM AN AP HOLDER folks!!!! Yes, I did!!

WOOT!! That's awesome!

Does Pirates have shorter wait times than BTMR if I can get it? Not sure what to do...

Yes, I'd do POTC. BTMRR is almost always longer.

Crickets in here, guess no one wants to listen to me rant

Nope, still here. :)

even earlier...but the thing was I think we were gonna try to be super early anyway so .....doesn't really make much difference, except that you can't actually "book" a boarding group until the park actually opens...so now...what time to aim for arrival? 7:00 am? Who knows...and how busy will getting into parking etc be at that time?

Yes, but you want to be IN BEFORE the 8:00 mark!!!! And if there's still a line you risk being late into the park and I've heard the Boarding Groups are GONE by 8:03. GET THERE EARLY and keep refreshing over and over and over starting at 7:50. I've also heard rumors they open them a few minutes early. Lastly, I know park hours can change abruptly with no or little notice. Check park hours often right up to that morning.

How long are you budgeting for travel, bag check, etc...??

I'm budgeting about 3 hours for a break, but that can be a bit flexible as we most likely would have used any FP's already so can just get back when we get back, except for when we have dinner reservations of course...

Yes, but you want to be IN BEFORE the 8:00 mark!!!! And if there's still a line you risk being late into the park and I've heard the Boarding Groups are GONE by 8:03. GET THERE EARLY and keep refreshing over and over and over starting at 7:50. I've also heard rumors they open them a few minutes early. Lastly, I know park hours can change abruptly with no or little notice. Check park hours often right up to that morning.

Oh boy, ok good to know. I will definitely do that. I guess there is still a chance they change it to even early for March...hoping not since they just changed a couple days ago to 8am. I wonder how much time we should budget for parking and getting from the car to inside the actual park? If park opening is 8am...do you think arriving to entrance to parking by 7:30 is enough? Or should we aim for 7...probably 7 to be safe I think...

Today was my 3rd day of getting up before 7 to try for FP's for our trip. It's not THAT much of a stretch because I normally get up by 7:30 am...but sometimes that extra half hour of sleep makes a difference!

This morning I was trying to get FP's for March 10 which will be our HS day....and....not a good morning so far.

I'm trying not to be discouraged, but I was on the app and hitting refresh right at 7am....it took forever to load and by the time I got in there were no FP's...for ANYTHING! How does that even happen? I went into some of the FB groups for Disney fans and saw that others had the same issue, and some were saying maybe a glitch...but I don't have much hope. I'm sad for this because for our friends, this will be their only HS day, they don't have hoppers either. I have no problem getting up super early because we were going to go and try to get a boarding group for ROTR anyway...but to do that and then have to be in HS the rest of the day with no FP's....and obviously ridiculous crowds...ugh.

I'm trying to think positive and maybe we will be able to just enjoy the atmosphere and details and slowly make our way around the park doing whatever we can...but even for the less popular rides I was looking at wait times at 8:30am this morning and they were already all above 40 mins...and it's not even spring break....that does not leave me much hope for being able to do much of anything.

The one consoling factor is that we have the Fantasmic Dessert party that night, so at least we will get a good experience to see that show, which I've actually never seen. But the downside of that is that now that it's booked, it means we can't change our HS day to a different day and hope for FP's. I have not completely given up and will keep trying...but I don't have much hope for going on much that day! At least there is lots to take in with SWGE and TSL....but...still stings a bit!

Myself and my mom and kids will have another shot at HS rides later in our trip since we'll be there longer, but sadly our friends can only stay one week...ugh!

I'm budgeting about 3 hours for a break, but that can be a bit flexible as we most likely would have used any FP's already so can just get back when we get back, except for when we have dinner reservations of course...

Yeah that sounds about right. :)

Oh boy, ok good to know. I will definitely do that. I guess there is still a chance they change it to even early for March...hoping not since they just changed a couple days ago to 8am. I wonder how much time we should budget for parking and getting from the car to inside the actual park? If park opening is 8am...do you think arriving to entrance to parking by 7:30 is enough? Or should we aim for 7...probably 7 to be safe I think...

I'd say 7:00. Just to be safe cuz you'll have bag check which can chew up a good 15 or more minutes.

Don't give up hope. Check every day and something will pop up. Also, if you do the RD, send others to SDD while maybe one or 2 of you keep refreshing for the boarding passes they wll for sure get on that with less than an hour wait. Then, I'd do TSMM, SR, RNRC and TOT in that order.

Don't give up hope. Check every day and something will pop up. Also, if you do the RD, send others to SDD while maybe one or 2 of you keep refreshing for the boarding passes they wll for sure get on that with less than an hour wait. Then, I'd do TSMM, SR, RNRC and TOT in that order.

This is great advice, I hadn't thought of sending a few people to SDD while the rest of us go wait for SR. Good plan! We did manage finally to snag an FP at 5:55pm for TSMM, which is actually good because we are doing the dessert party that night, so we can go right before that. I also picked up a FP for the Alien Saucers and for Indiana Jones - but the timing on those isn't great because after getting up so early I am pretty sure that is a day that we will need an afternoon break, so I will keep trying to tinker with those FP's.

OK so I've gone and done a spreadsheet - even though it may have been for nothing since the rest of my party may or may not follow it and may or may not see the benefits of getting up early on a Disney vacay...so it may go out the window! But it was fun planning anyway!!
:laughing: Gotta spreadsheet!
We'll have to get up at the fairly civilized for travel day hour, probably around 6am, still early but not too ridiculous.
That's actually not bad at all. :) Beats 2am!
We are travelling with our dog as well, so we can't do online check-in when with a dog
Oh! You're bringing your pup!
Are you crating him or did you buy a seat? Or is he small and can fit under the seat in a carrier?
I've never actually rented a car at MCO before...hoping it isn't too crazy to find and get on our way.
I have, but it was years ago. It took... a fair bit of time. Hopefully things have improved since then.
I'm a little concerned about finding it but hoping Waze saves me again and has decent reception in the area for the drive!
You have a smartphone? Google maps works well. If you don't want to chew through data, you can download an offline map before you leave.
Not sure anyone's reading lol
I'm here, Kathy. It's been... very challenging at work lately and I've been having trouble finding 2 minutes to spare.
I'm catching up as I can, on the DIS.
I managed to find a dog walker
That's good! I'm sure the pup will like that. :)
we will have to show our Canadian ID at guest services to activate our tickets.
::yes:: Been there, done that.
I'm told you can do this at the guest services near DeLuxe Burger in DS! Hoping this is accurate!
Oh! Yes, I'm sure you can. I just did it when we got to a park, but if you want to rope drop... then best to have it before.
I bought ALL of our theme park tickets today. I'm going to go into shock when the credit card bill comes,
Oh dear.... but... yes.
spend more than my first car on a week's worth of theme park tickets for the family.
ouch... but... Disney.
AND I AM AN AP HOLDER folks!!!!
Hey! Congrats!!
OF COURSE I have to plan another trip within the year
::yes::
Isn't Ratatouille opening within the year too?
Scheduled for summer 2020.
It's just over a month out...and I'm switching things around all the time...
Of course you are! :laughing:
Update: I suck at Disney Math!
:laughing:
I do think it's sad that the system and Disney's greed....sadly have gotten to a place where if you want to ride all the popular rides you pretty much have to stay onsite, or stay long enough for more than one day at each park, otherwise wait for many hours...and then you will just run out of time!
Yeah... there's a real problem with the FP system. I'm almost of a mind that they should either scrap it, charge for it or go back to paper.
Sorry...vented a little there...I'm just a little sad about that because my friends are so excited about going....
They should still have fun, though. :)
Does Pirates have shorter wait times than BTMR if I can get it? Not sure what to do...
I've found that POTC line moves fairly quickly. The waits are often much shorter than BTMRR.
Given a choice, I'd take a FP for BTMRR over POTC.
Crickets in here, guess no one wants to listen to me rant about FP selection lol
I'm here! I'm here!
In any case, I have resigned myself to the fact that we will have fun at Disney even if we don't get all the FP's we want, we just have to accept that!
Resigned?
You'll have fun! You don't have to go on all the rides to have fun. You won't be able to anyway. You can't do everything, so enjoy what you can. :)
I also got SE since I read that will be down for refurb sometime soon and want to make sure I get on before that!
Good!
by the time I got in there were no FP's...for ANYTHING! How does that even happen?
:sad2:
I'm sad for this because for our friends, this will be their only HS day, they don't have hoppers either.
Rope drop. But you'll be there for that anyways. Get on a boarding group... that'll work wonders.

Our FP day is tomorrow and suddenly my aunt's ticket isn't showing in MDE!! So, I am freaking out! Hopefully my good friend and TA will be able to help sort that out for me some time today!

Sorry your FP luck isn't going so well :( I'm worried about our DHS day, too. We are planning to spend two half days there, but I didn't really want to waste FPs on both days...think we will have to though, realistically.

Hopefully you'll be able to tinker with what you get along the line and get some pixie dust along the way before your trip!

Oh! You're bringing your pup!
Are you crating him or did you buy a seat? Or is he small and can fit under the seat in a carrier?

It's complicated :) My dog is a SJA Therapy Dog - so we visit at hospitals and retirement homes etc, Because of this, she can fly on WestJet and sit at my feet without having to go in a carry bag. However, because we are travelling to the US, I still need to bring the carry bag so she can sit in it for 5 minutes as we go through customs and they check her rabies documents. But on Air Canada, she travels as a "pet in cabin" which is ok because she is small enough to go in a carry on sized dog bag that fits in front of the seat in front of me. I would not bring her if she couldn't go in the cabin with me. And there was some debate about bringing her on this trip because we will be out a lot etc. But she loves being with her people, and we have the dog walker for her so she won't be alone for too long. Also, since my son is away at school he doesn't get to see her that often, so that is another reason we are bringing her. Plus she is MY therapy dog too - not officially...but...I don't like to spend too much time away from her!

You have a smartphone? Google maps works well. If you don't want to chew through data, you can download an offline map before you leave.

Good tip!! Yes I often use Waze as well, but I find it does chew data and also battery life! But you do what you gotta do! Good idea for offline maps!

I'm here, Kathy. It's been... very challenging at work lately and I've been having trouble finding 2 minutes to spare.
I'm catching up as I can, on the DIS.

Hey no worries!! That wasn't directed at you lol. I have been a crappy Dis TR reader and commenter too of late!

Oh! Yes, I'm sure you can. I just did it when we got to a park, but if you want to rope drop... then best to have it before.

Yeah I do want to RD, but it was also more about not wanting to have our passports on us in the parks and risk losing them or damaging them!

Yeah... there's a real problem with the FP system. I'm almost of a mind that they should either scrap it, charge for it or go back to paper.

Yes I agree. I wonder if Disney would ever do something that drastic - ie: scrap the whole thing and start over...it would change the whole culture of planning...but maybe improve things. But I guess as long as they are making money it's a win for them so...why would they? Unless people stop going I suppose...

I've found that POTC line moves fairly quickly. The waits are often much shorter than BTMRR.
Given a choice, I'd take a FP for BTMRR over POTC.

Good to know. I will be getting up early tomorrow again to try to book our FP's for our 2nd MK day and BTMRR is the first thing I'm aiming for.

You'll have fun! You don't have to go on all the rides to have fun. You won't be able to anyway. You can't do everything, so enjoy what you can. :)

Oh for sure, I know we will have fun no matter what! Just when friends have only a short trip...you hope they will be able to do enough for them to feel like they got their money's worth...because it is a LOT of money lol

Rope drop. But you'll be there for that anyways. Get on a boarding group... that'll work wonders.

Yup, that is the plan!! Since everyone has to be there anyway to get a boarding group, does it make sense for several people to be on the app at the same time trying to get it for the same group? Or does that mess things up with the system and make it actually take longer?

I'm worried about our DHS day, too. We are planning to spend two half days there, but I didn't really want to waste FPs on both days...think we will have to though, realistically.

Yeah, if you want to do more than one of the headliners it seems like you need two days - and two early mornings at that!

My dog is a SJA Therapy Dog - so we visit at hospitals and retirement homes etc,
Ah! Nice!
Because of this, she can fly on WestJet and sit at my feet without having to go in a carry bag.
Good!
However, because we are travelling to the US, I still need to bring the carry bag so she can sit in it for 5 minutes as we go through customs and they check her rabies documents.
Oh! Hadn't thought of that.
But on Air Canada, she travels as a "pet in cabin"
What? Why???
Plus she is MY therapy dog too - not officially...but...I don't like to spend too much time away from her!
:hug:
Hey no worries!! That wasn't directed at you lol. I have been a crappy Dis TR reader and commenter too of late!
We'll form our own club. Crappy DIS commenters club. CDCC.
Yeah I do want to RD, but it was also more about not wanting to have our passports on us in the parks and risk losing them or damaging them!
I put mine in a "money belt". You can get them at CAA.
I wonder if Disney would ever do something that drastic - ie: scrap the whole thing and start over...
Doubt it. Too much invested. They'll tweak it, though.
Oh for sure, I know we will have fun no matter what! Just when friends have only a short trip...you hope they will be able to do enough for them to feel like they got their money's worth...because it is a LOT of money lol
Ain't that the truth!
Since everyone has to be there anyway to get a boarding group, does it make sense for several people to be on the app at the same time trying to get it for the same group? Or does that mess things up with the system and make it actually take longer?
Will it be just you trying to get a boarding group? I think it's just a matter of who gets on fastest. Then the other(s) can just... stop trying.
Yeah, if you want to do more than one of the headliners it seems like you need two days - and two early mornings at that!
I can't wait until they change the FP system back. I know I saw a date... but don't remember what it is... Found it. They change on Feb 19th. You might want to look at making some changes on that date.

Will it be just you trying to get a boarding group? I think it's just a matter of who gets on fastest. Then the other(s) can just... stop trying.

Well that's what I'm wondering...should all of us who want to get a boarding group (and of course have to be "in" the park) be on the app trying to get a boarding group for the same 5 people at the same time? or does that just make it less likely that anyone will get it since we will all be trying for the same five people? Who knows...

I can't wait until they change the FP system back. I know I saw a date... but don't remember what it is... Found it. They change on Feb 19th. You might want to look at making some changes on that date.

Wait what? What's changing back on Feb 19? Oh editing this....got it. SR is available for FP's after Feb 19...yeah...unfortunately with staying offsite...not sure we'll have any hope of that...I've been stalking it but so far it's hasn't been available even at 7:00am on the dot for any days of our stay...that said, I haven't been able to get 7DMT or SDD either....

I think to ride those I will have to plan another onsite trip with my new AP and ride everything I don't get to do this time!

Last edited:
I keep forgetting to check the PTR forum and got behind! Not that I can give any useful advice on FPs anyhow, considering how long its been since our last trip. My mind is blown about how difficult HS FPs were! Hopefully, it will be easier to get them on your next trips with your new AP.

Well that's what I'm wondering...should all of us who want to get a boarding group (and of course have to be "in" the park) be on the app trying to get a boarding group for the same 5 people at the same time? or does that just make it less likely that anyone will get it since we will all be trying for the same five people? Who knows...
It only takes one. Just keep refreshing! And the closer it gets to park open... refresh faster!
I think to ride those I will have to plan another onsite trip with my new AP and ride everything I don't get to do this time!
I approve of this plan.

Wait what? What's changing back on Feb 19? Oh editing this....got it. SR is available for FP's after Feb 19
No. Well, that too.
SR, SDD and M&MRR will be tier one, the rest are tier two. So you can have TSMM and TOT FPs now. (For example)

My mind is blown about how difficult HS FPs were! Hopefully, it will be easier to get them on your next trips with your new AP.

Yes, I've had very little luck with them so far..I still have a few more days to keep trying but I don't think MMRR is in the cards unless we RD it.

It only takes one. Just keep refreshing! And the closer it gets to park open... refresh faster!

Yeah, I have a bad feeling about the speed of my mobile service, even at home, by the time I refresh to get on at 7am...so much is already gone....I'm think I may have to get someone else's phone in on the action...maybe my son who has a US based phone will have better luck...

SR, SDD and M&MRR will be tier one, the rest are tier two. So you can have TSMM and TOT FPs now. (For example)

Oh I get it. That's cool...because I would probably want TSMM and SR or MMRR .....one day when I'm staying onsite lol and have a hope...lol

Yeah, I have a bad feeling about the speed of my mobile service, even at home, by the time I refresh to get on at 7am...so much is already gone....I'm think I may have to get someone else's phone in on the action...maybe my son who has a US based phone will have better luck...
Probably a good idea, then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!