The Rest of Hollywood Studios

Donaldb112

Earning My Ears
**Apologies if this is in the wrong thread**

After the TSL and SW:GE construction wraps up, do we think that other parts of the park (i.e. Fantasmic, Indiana Jones, Star Tours) will begin to undergo construction/refurbishments/updates?

I remember seeing a while back that a new Tangled show was rumored to replace Beauty and The Beast, and that updates to Fantasmic were coming soon. Do we think that Disney will wait until the new lands are opened to begin construction so guests have somewhere to go?

Also, does anyone know what will be going on with Star Tours once SW:GE is opened? It would be out of canon to have the attraction outside of the land, and make pretty much zero sense. I believe that they will be demolishing the attraction along with Indiana Jones, and somehow blend the two plots of land together to create new attraction space.

The speculation is star tours will become something else. But it’s not known if it will what it’ll be or when it’ll happen.

I’m personally of the opinion that the park needs more. It’s going to close regularly to capacity in my estimation, and I don’t think some of the current offerings (the Indy stunt show for one) are going to be enough to absorb the Star Wars surge.

I’m figuring animation courtyard will be the next to get revamped. I’d also like to see a fantasmic refresh.

That being said I think it’s unlikely they’ll do anything after Star Wars for at least five years

**Apologies if this is in the wrong thread**

After the TSL and SW:GE construction wraps up, do we think that other parts of the park (i.e. Fantasmic, Indiana Jones, Star Tours) will begin to undergo construction/refurbishments/updates?

I remember seeing a while back that a new Tangled show was rumored to replace Beauty and The Beast, and that updates to Fantasmic were coming soon. Do we think that Disney will wait until the new lands are opened to begin construction so guests have somewhere to go?

Also, does anyone know what will be going on with Star Tours once SW:GE is opened? It would be out of canon to have the attraction outside of the land, and make pretty much zero sense. I believe that they will be demolishing the attraction along with Indiana Jones, and somehow blend the two plots of land together to create new attraction space.
There are several things being looked at for DHS. A possible Indiana Jones ride is in the mix, new shows, and more. They will need the capacity once Star Wars opens.

There are several things being looked at for DHS. A possible Indiana Jones ride is in the mix, new shows, and more. They will need the capacity once Star Wars opens.
Wasn’t the rumored Indy ride supposed to utilize the Shanghai pirates ride system?

Animation courtyard would make sense as thats a lot of space and not really much of anything there now. Even going down the street and replacing Little Mermaid and the Walt Disney Story gives you a lot more space to work with.

Animation courtyard would make sense as thats a lot of space and not really much of anything there now. Even going down the street and replacing Little Mermaid and the Walt Disney Story gives you a lot more space to work with.

Launch Bay has a decent size for something significant as well. That area isn't exactly high capacity right now and I imagine that'll change over if needed before other parts of the park. It could close post Star Wars and not have an enourmous effect on the rest of park operations and crowd flow.

What's going to happen to Disney Junior Live on Stage? The park already has nothing much for those under a certain height and age.

What's going to happen to Disney Junior Live on Stage? The park already has nothing much for those under a certain height and age.
Long term it’s unclear, but I’d think they’ll keep it around in some capacity. I believe the shows also getting new characters added to it at some point this year

Long term it’s unclear, but I’d think they’ll keep it around in some capacity. I believe the shows also getting new characters added to it at some point this year

Yes, it is changing in September to a new Dance Party version with newer characters (Vampirina, etc) though I believe some will only be screen based

Studios needs tons more work after Star Wars. I think they'll resort to just updating the shows and then any re-imagining or further expansions are pushed past the Epcot overhaul.

Last edited:
I just can't seem them putting up construction walls again so soon after Toy Story land and Star Wars land.

The park will finally have a lot of "ride" attractions after those lands open up. If nothing unexpectedly closes down after SWGE, with Mickey's Runaway Railway that brings the number to NINE "ride" attractions. (A ride attraction - wait in a queue, get on some sort of vehicle, etc. - aka attractions actually worth getting a FP for because there is an actual line to skip). That is more ride attractions than AK and the same (or close) (I think) as Epcot.

Add in the shows, and DHS has a decent number of attractions that probably won't be able to be all done in one day (due to crowds).

So .. while I feel theming of DHS needs some work after the new lands opens, I doubt they will do anything right away except maybe what they are doing with Disney Junior --- giving an existing attraction a quick refresh to attract crowds to a tired old attraction. So maybe a new show in place of Beauty and the Beast or maybe a whole new script and props for Indiana Jones?

To me .. I think the following needs to change (just from a theming perspective):
1) Launch Bay needs to go .. doesn't make sense to have a Star Wars building out side of SWGE. That opens up a lot of space for a new attraction. Take away the whole Animation Courtyard and its shows and you could have a whole mini-land in there.

2) Indiana Jones needs to go .. it is the only remaining attraction that still has the "making of movies" theme.
2a) Star Tours needs to go .. a fun attraction, but since they couldn't tie it to SWGE, it is just oddly out of place and not sure how you keep the immersion of SWGE with a Star Wars simulator outside its gates. (I still feel they could just redo the exit around the back of Pizza Rizzos to dump you into SWGE and make Star Tours the immersive way you "get" to the planet.
2b) Basically I feel the whole left side of Echo Lake needs to go .. including the under used old "Sound" show theatre . Seems like they would have enough room with those two attractions to have room for a new decent attraction or two.

3) Really the whole middle of the park has always been a hodge-podge, but it is the last remants of the "studio" buildings .. which can still fit into the "Hollywood" theme of the park -- I just think maybe they could change the restaurants there (Sci Fi and ABC).

4) Rock-n-Roller coaster - always annoyed me, while fun ride, because it had no theming. It didn't fit into the "making of movies theme" and didn't fit in the Sunset boulevard theming that is beautifully capped off with the Tower of Terror. It was just a dark coaster with a cool story and some great music.

I definitely agree abou not wanting or expected eating a ton of new construction walls in DHS for a while

I could see them replacing BatB and / or TLM shows to something new that can be a crowd sucker and also potneially updating Fantasmic! as the focus will be on Star Wars for a while

Actually, that made me wonder - are they going to continue to run the Star Wars fireworks/projection show once Galaxy’s Edge opens? Seems to take away from the immersion of the land but they did all the work for the projections i can’t imagine them getting ride of it (maybe they change theme of the show?)

The whole park is a mess honestly. That's why you'll see Star Wars in different parts of the park. There is no clear grouping like the MK and it's lands. It's going to take a whole lot of work if they ever want consistent theming and park layout.

The theming of the whole park always seemed off to me.
It was fine in the beginning, they just opened the park with too few attractions in order to open before Universal.

The problem is the park was created probably a decade or two too late.
The "making of movies" as a theme was entertaining in the late 80s and early 90s, but already the movie technology was quickly shifting away to practical effects and into the digital realm. There is nothing exciting to see when someone is filming on a green screen and computer artists are sitting in a room making all the backgrounds and special effects. So, like Epcot, the concepts showcased in the park were dated just a very short time after the park opened.

It's exciting to see a physical movie props, live stunts, a recreation of a game show, and seeing shows/animations being made "in person". Add in some fun rides that take you into the movies (GMR, Star Tours) and it was a magical park to me in my teenage years.
It just got dated really fast and the magic disappeared when they stopped actually using it as a working studio.

And like Epcot .. once they started adding in attractions to "fix" this problem, the park become this jumbled theming mess. Rock-n-Roller coaster, Toy Story Midway Mania .. both super attractions, but didn't fit the "making of movies" theming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter