The Rest of Hollywood Studios

Star Was is a huge IP deserving a huge land. Star Tours and the shop and Jedi Training are all sorta themed already, they could expand the SW theming to encompass it. Seems like the Launch Bay and Animation Courtyard are too far away, but it's a huge IP. Disneyland won't be able to keep up.

I definitely agree abou not wanting or expected eating a ton of new construction walls in DHS for a while

I don't want to eat a ton of construction walls either. If the rumor about gooey toffee construction walls manifests I may change my tune.

Not trying to be rude or anything but there are plenty of places on this site that have all of that information and a lot more.

Sorry to waste your time then. Was just curious to know what particular rumors are swirling around Hollywood Studios. Just glancing around I see a 500 page thread about News where the original post is a list of links. One about rumors that was last updated 20 days ago and the only reference to Hollywood Studios is news from 2017. Then any other rumors are based on Star Wars/Hotel and Toy Story Land. I was asking about the rest of Hollywood Studios.

If you don't feel like re-typing or discussing it further here in a thread about the rest of Hollywood Studios, a link would be helpful.

Sorry to waste your time then. Was just curious to know what particular rumors are swirling around Hollywood Studios. Just glancing around I see a 500 page thread about News where the original post is a list of links. One about rumors that was last updated 20 days ago and the only reference to Hollywood Studios is news from 2017. Then any other rumors are based on Star Wars/Hotel and Toy Story Land. I was asking about the rest of Hollywood Studios.

If you don't feel like re-typing or discussing it further here in a thread about the rest of Hollywood Studios, a link would be helpful.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/dhs-construction-update-thread-read-post-1-updated-6-5.3466620/

https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-rumor-tracking-thread-updated-5-31-18.3549330/

These two should have most things you are looking for. While yes the rumors thread says it hasn’t been updated since 5/31 it doesn’t mean those rumors are out of date and that more discussion hasn’t happened in the most recent pages of that thread.

I will take a shot here...but by all means if you have the time, go to the rumor thread that @rteetz has running, if nothing else just the first post on the first page is a great summary.

As for DHS....

Please keep in mind you have the following opening soon - TSL(this June), SW:GE(Fall of 2019 and somewhere in between is MMRR in place of GMR(that is the new Micky ride in the building that held the Great Movie Ride....in case you don't know the alphabet.... ;) ).

so there you will have a net of 5 new attractions to the park.

There is a few rumors on DHS post that. At one point there was a Phase 3 supposed to be added, but that has been cancelled. Instead they are potentially looking at adding one more major ride(one rumor has it as a Pirates of the Carribean shanghai boat ride in a different IP). Also once SW:GE and TSL and MMRR open, there was to be some more sprucing as well, and potentially some new shows in place of Beauty in the Beast and/or Little Mermaid. None of this is confirmed though.

I'd be pretty shocked if Launch Bay wasn't closed by the end of spring 2020. I can understand it not closing before SW:GE opening, but soon after makes sense.

A Star Tours re-theme seems extremely logical and relatively inexpensive, and probably possible for the 50th anniversary if it closes around when SW:GE opens.

I feel like there are a lot of little areas they could work on and improve: I'm sure Pixar Place will be closed off, but it could be redeveloped for shopping or small dining options; Seems like the animation courtyard area will be worked on; and maybe some of the theaters will be updated with new shows or attractions.

Everything east of Echo Lake will need work, but I personally wouldn't put money on major changes to that area until after the 50th at this point.

I'd be pretty shocked if Launch Bay wasn't closed by the end of spring 2020. I can understand it not closing before SW:GE opening, but soon after makes sense.

A Star Tours re-theme seems extremely logical and relatively inexpensive, and probably possible for the 50th anniversary if it closes around when SW:GE opens.

I feel like there are a lot of little areas they could work on and improve: I'm sure Pixar Place will be closed off, but it could be redeveloped for shopping or small dining options; Seems like the animation courtyard area will be worked on; and maybe some of the theaters will be updated with new shows or attractions.

Everything east of Echo Lake will need work, but I personally wouldn't put money on major changes to that area until after the 50th at this point.
Yeah post 2021 seems like a possibility for further additions. The only scenario we get anything major though is if/when the park is so overpacked that management fast tracks future additions to absorb the crowds

The muppet courtyard area seems like such a waste. I'd love for the muppets to be more popular, but sadly they are not. I feel like it would be a quick hit to just retheme a 3-d show in some sort of star wars theme. Retain Star Tours. Re-theme pizzarizo which is unfortunate do to the recent remodel. Heck you could turn the area into Endor.
I think they see the muppets as appealing to the youngest kids, but I don't think it does. Our last trip in February of this year, we made our first visit to muppets 3d....mostly just to check off that we've hit that attraction. My wife was miserable, and my 9 year old son was too. He likes carousel of progress and even liked hall of presidents better than the muppets area.

If they are obligated contractually or morally to have a muppets attraction, do something over in the animation courtyard. Muppets is such an outlier from what is going on there, it just doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't think it eats up crowds like it could. Leave the 3d theatre just change the show and theme of the area.

There is a few rumors on DHS post that. At one point there was a Phase 3 supposed to be added, but that has been cancelled. Instead they are potentially looking at adding one more major ride(one rumor has it as a Pirates of the Carribean shanghai boat ride in a different IP). Also once SW:GE and TSL and MMRR open, there was to be some more sprucing as well, and potentially some new shows in place of Beauty in the Beast and/or Little Mermaid. None of this is confirmed though.

Thanks, this is primarily was I was asking about, I'm already aware of TSL, SWGE and the GMR. I was curious about rumors of what happens to the park after that, if there are any rumors to begin with. rteetz seemed to allude to that there were.

Thanks, this is primarily was I was asking about, I'm already aware of TSL, SWGE and the GMR. I was curious about rumors of what happens to the park after that, if there are any rumors to begin with. rteetz seemed to allude to that there were.
There’s some vague rumors here and there. As a pp mentioned there was a planned phase 3 to the studios that seems to have been scrapped for the time being.

The people of Black Spire need to escape their drudgery, they don't want to see a show about their existence. They want to see the exotic Muppets 3D in the Black Spire Theater! They love to visit Toy Story Land, their local theme park, because it's so unlike their normal lives!

There’s some vague rumors here and there. As a pp mentioned there was a planned phase 3 to the studios that seems to have been scrapped for the time being.
There were phases 1-4 but that was with the less ambitious Star Wars land. Things all changed when they went for SWGE.

There were phases 1-4 but that was with the less ambitious Star Wars land. Things all changed when they went for SWGE.
I also remember when Star Wars was supposed to be built out into the current parking lot. How things change eh?

On that note, I did miss one item stated above. There is a rumor as well that Star tours will get rebooted with a new IP some time after SW:GE opens. Per most insiders that will be over a year or more though.....

The muppet courtyard area seems like such a waste. I'd love for the muppets to be more popular, but sadly they are not. I feel like it would be a quick hit to just retheme a 3-d show in some sort of star wars theme. Retain Star Tours. Re-theme pizzarizo which is unfortunate do to the recent remodel. Heck you could turn the area into Endor.
I think they see the muppets as appealing to the youngest kids, but I don't think it does. Our last trip in February of this year, we made our first visit to muppets 3d....mostly just to check off that we've hit that attraction. My wife was miserable, and my 9 year old son was too. He likes carousel of progress and even liked hall of presidents better than the muppets area.

If they are obligated contractually or morally to have a muppets attraction, do something over in the animation courtyard. Muppets is such an outlier from what is going on there, it just doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't think it eats up crowds like it could. Leave the 3d theatre just change the show and theme of the area.

The muppets 3-D show is fun for kids, but there just isn't enough of it elsewhere in that area. Another attraction (or true puppet show) is needed to make that feel like a "Muppets land" rather than a dated 3-D show.

The retheming of Pizza Planet to PizzaRizzo's was interesting in the timing. It felt like that would have been the perfect time to make a more developed Muppets Land with the removal of Streets of America .. or just trash it so SWGE could have been put there and connected easily with Star Tours.

It makes sense that they got rid of the Pizza Planet theming with the upcoming Toy Story Land,but not sure why they retained a pizza restaurant there and rethemed it, but at least Grand Avenue sorta "extends" the theming of that area.

They probably were forced to keep it, if they had gotten rid of Muppets Courtyard and two restaurants, then DHS would have had even more capacity issues.

My kids and I love the muppets show if we are at HS we go at least twice and laugh every time.
I agree with tlmadden they need more muppet stuff to do or see and they significantly cut into that area for construction at this point anyway.

With the amount of crowds that will be IN DHS once SW:GE opens, I would think a crowd eater like Muppets 3D will greatly be needed. I don't see any way they can close that off, and move to another IP or something else this late.

No, I think the fact they did a bunch of work in that area to match it to the new area outside SW, this is here to stay.
Its also one reason I don't think Star Tours gets revamped for a year or more post SW:GE opening...you need something to eat crowds.

Animation area to me is a key area they could do some expansion, as nothing is there really outside of the Launch Bay. I think if Indy gets redone, to take on the new Ride...IF they decide to add a ride, that too will wait...

For the record I don't think they'll do it. I only suggested that the muppets area is a bit of a waste in my opinion, and that I think the IP is not as appealing in 2018. I think the time has passed where it would be a good idea to change something there. I think we will see Star Wars open, then a new area developed before they touch the muppet, star tours and Indy theatre area.

The listed operational capacity of muppets is 900/hr, where philharmagic does 1350, and it's tough to be a bug does 1800 by the same measure. I think they could push more through there (Muppets) if the demand was there. Their theoretical capacity is quite a bit higher in proportion. So that makes me wonder if the demand just isn't there to turn it over quicker.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter