The rumors of Splash Mtn being wetter are true

VandVsmama

DIS Veteran
we went on a Splash Mtn this morning. Thank goodness we had ponchos. The kid in the front seat of our boat didn’t have one on. She got drenched. To the bone. Totally soaked. Looked like she had taken a shower with her clothes on. She was cold and miserable after.

Do yourself a favor and come prepared! Or ask to ride in the rear half of the boat.

It is craziness!! We rode yesterday morning and my kids got soaked! Dripping, soggy, soaked. We had to go back to the hotel at 9am for them to change and blow dry shoes. Honestly, I'm super disappointed with the change. It's one of my favorite things to do, but after yesterday, my family is refusing to ride again (and I can't blame them)!

My YDD wanted to ride it with no poncho yesterday. I told her that I was making an executive decision and the answer was a big fat NO to that!

Yep, another confirmation from us! My kids and I were there in the middle of January. It was a super rainy day, so we were all set with rain boots, waterproof jackets, etc. My daughter still opted out because Splash isn't her favorite, but my son and I thought it was a perfect opportunity to ride Splash with our protective gear. That part actually did work out really well, and it's a very good thing, because we were hit with the biggest wall of water EVER!! Wow - we would have been absolutely soaked. to. the. bone. if we hadn't had all the rain gear. I felt really, really badly for the people behind us in the log.

I have no idea why there is such a difference now. It worked out ok for us, but if it's still the same way in August, I'm not sure I will be riding. It's one thing to come off the ride somewhat drippy - it's part of the fun (for some of us, not my daughter, ha!) and at least when it's warm out, you know you will be drying off relatively quickly. But when you get completely drenched, that's just no fun. It's too extreme.

OH MY STARS, YES! Everyone was coming off the ride soaked. It wasn't very warm out, so that was a bit of a drag. My daughter wouldn't ride it once she saw how wet people were, so I had to get soaked by myself. :lmao:

Last time I went I could ring out my shirt. My underwear was soaking wet I got that wet. Only thing that was dry was about a 5x15 sections on my back that was against the seat and I was in the back.

we went on a Splash Mtn this morning. Thank goodness we had ponchos. The kid in the front seat of our boat didn’t have one on. She got drenched. To the bone. Totally soaked. Looked like she had taken a shower with her clothes on. She was cold and miserable after.

Do yourself a favor and come prepared! Or ask to ride in the rear half of the boat.
I had to drop over $100 on new clothes in a Frontierland store last week I got so wet!

Pro tip: If you hold your feet all the way up and to the side, so basically underneath the top of the log, it will save them from gettin drenched!

I always do that too and it saved my shoes at least. The rest of me was soaked through!

We did it last trip when it was raining at the end of the night - we all got absolutely drenched. We all think its name needs to change from 'splash' to 'soak'. Definitely requires quick drying shoes as I can also confirm holding feet up the side under the log does not work, on one section water was just pouring in the sides of the boat! We had a great time but I wish there was a drying booth like at DCA as during the day it wouldn't have been warm enough for clothes to dry.

Last edited:
Would someone explain the Splash Mountain change and when this occurred? Thanks.

The splash-to-drench factor happened after the last refurb in April 2018. But I think the recent rains have increased the water levels on that ride, too. That ride now moves faster and the waves come harder and bigger this winter than I ever remember them being. So for the time being, if we're not wearing full rain gear (rain coat, rain pants, rain boots), we don't ride. And if we are prepared, we ride multiple times in a row because the "drench factor" doesn't matter. I'm just not willing to be soaked to the skin when it's in the 40's or low 50's outside!

Pro tip: If you hold your feet all the way up and to the side, so basically underneath the top of the log, it will save them from gettin drenched!
That used to work. It does not work anymore.

Signed, someone who rode Splash more or less weekly in 2017 and could do that, tried probably five times post-refurb in 2018 before I gave up, now will not ride unless I brought flip flops to change into for the ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter