The rumors of Splash Mtn being wetter are true

We rode two times yesterday. In rows 5 and 6 and then 3 and 4 (had our own log on the 2nd run!). Had on big ponchos I had brought from Target. Not the Dollar Store cheap ones. Didn’t get soaked. I think the soak zone is definitely in rows 1 and 2 from what I saw.

Is this for all seats in the boat? Will you get drenched no matter what?
I think the above quote answers your question. You will not get "drenched" on every ride. It depends on where you sit, how your log is loaded, and how heavy your log is. If you don't want to get wet, bring a poncho and change in to flip flops for the ride.

I think the above quote answers your question. You will not get "drenched" on every ride. It depends on where you sit, how your log is loaded, and how heavy your log is. If you don't want to get wet, bring a poncho and change in to flip flops for the ride.
Aaah. Thank you. Missed that.

It happened to us, front seats, in October. But the worst by far, was a smaller drop 1/2 through the ride, NOT the final drop. As a matter of fact, we were laughing afterwards, because in our ride photo, we are ALREADY drenched, and that is taken at the top of the big drop hill (obviously).

For us, warm day, and it did not ruin the day. I think I may have changed my son's clothes, because I had spare set with me (adult but special needs). I was going to buy a shirt but powered thru and shorts and shirt dried ok. Did not really get our shoes too bad.

This is so disappointing to hear. Splash used to be my absolute favorite ride. And I loved that although I might get a little wet, I didn't get totally drenched like I did on Kali River Rapids. I had to wring out my clothes, and dripped for almost 2 hours. If Splash is that bad, and it sounds it, there goes my Splash love.

Back in August my friends and I were in rows 1,2 &3. My friend who was in the 2nd row and I, got drenched by the middle drop. A wave of water came into the log and seemed to just wash right onto us. My friend in the front row was wondering why we shrieked so loud..she didn’t get hit as bad by that one. She got more drenched from the front during the big drop.

And I don’t think our log was overly heavy either. We aren’t very large..and then in the back row was a lady and her small daughters. One of them was screaming because she didn’t like the amount of water. She was wetter than us in the front.

We had a new experience: At the entrance they were handing out sandwich size zip-loc bags for your phone with Splash Mountain printed on them. I hadn't seen this before. And on following days they weren't doing it.

I used to tuck my feet under the rail, but the water now runs right down my leg into my shoe. Now I roll feet on outside edge and tuck under the seats and works better for me. Because the kids want the front, I usually end in middle/back and get a wave over side. It mostly falls straight down under the rail.

Just guesses:
Maybe added weight/ballast to the logs during the refurb. I think it's all about weight. When you ride with 2 people in the middle it's a pretty dry ride. When a log is stopped by the belts near the unload, I don't think they tip as much as they used to. I always felt like a log could take water over the back corner when this happens.

They may be running more water as mentioned. I feel like we don't get clogged up as much near the end, but maybe that's unrelated.

Last June there was literally a fire at the top of the final lift. We smelled it and made it to unload before they shut it down and evacuated. Fire department responded to backstage access. I wonder if they need higher water level to cool the system.

Last edited:

We had a new experience: At the entrance they were handing out sandwich size zip-loc bags for your phone with Splash Mountain printed on them. I hadn't seen this before. And on following days they weren't doing it.

This started when Ziploc became the official sponsor of Splash Mountain. There's a clever synergy there. They do it at WDW too.

This started when Ziploc became the official sponsor of Splash Mountain. There's a clever synergy there. They do it at WDW too.

THAT'S IT !!!!! I could never understand why I am in a vegetative state when I leave the Tiki Room. Dole is official sponsor of Mickey Mouse birthday and the grocery store produce section has packages with his image on Dole products......and peel off stickers on dole Bananas.... I have collected three of them......indeed, there is a clever synergy there!!

There are dryers at GRR. It would be a nice idea to install some at the Splash exit -- it could save on return trips to the hotel.

We are usually in rows 3 and 4 in our own log. I get mostly splashed, some small wave action. DH gets real waves over the sides -- so watch out for your jeans and shoes.

Rephrasing the old joke that "It's Tough to Be a Bug" was designed by Imagineers who hate children, it appears that the Splash refurb was done by Imagineers who hate dry people.

Wait what? There are dryers at GRR? :eek:When were they installed? Did I miss them last summer (not that I needed them as the sun dried me quickly enough)

When I rode splash last August I got a little wet but definitely not soaked like I did on GRR. If it is really wetter now I definitely need a plan for next winter...
I guess I need ponchos for it. But those ponchos don’t cover everything and I am a little worried about water coming in through the holes for the head and arms...:confused3 Disney at winter time makes me already nervous and drives me crazy and I still have more than 250 days to prepare...:rolleyes2

Wait what? ..:confused3 Disney at winter time makes me already nervous and drives me crazy and I still have more than 250 days to prepare...:rolleyes2

wait till the marine air flows inland during winter nights, it creates massive condensation on all the metal railings.....and metal roofs....proving that collars are useful after all!!!

That is disappointing. I do enjoy getting a little wet, but I don't want to be drenched shoes and all. I'll have to ride Splash and then run over to DCA and ride GRR and then go change lol

We rode last week on a rainy drizzly day. 7 of us in total so we filled the whole log. My friends daughter was surprised at the baggies being handed out as we got in line. She said "do we really need these? They don't do this at Disney Wold" The CM said it's a good idea to use them. We were soaked! My son was in the front of the log. He said it was like a bucket of water was dumped in his lap. Most of us had rain ponchos but that didn't help with how soaked our feet got! Even with lifting them up. When we were getting ready to get off the ride my friend's daughter asked if we could just stay on and ride again. She said sure and made people in line wait for next log. How often does that happen at Disney!?! I wasn't too thrilled about going again but we were already soaked so what the heck!

We rode last week on a rainy drizzly day. 7 of us in total so we filled the whole log. My friends daughter was surprised at the baggies being handed out as we got in line. She said "do we really need these? They don't do this at Disney Wold" The CM said it's a good idea to use them. We were soaked! My son was in the front of the log. He said it was like a bucket of water was dumped in his lap. Most of us had rain ponchos but that didn't help with how soaked our feet got! Even with lifting them up. When we were getting ready to get off the ride my friend's daughter asked if we could just stay on and ride again. She said sure and made people in line wait for next log. How often does that happen at Disney!?! I wasn't too thrilled about going again but we were already soaked so what the heck!

Did all of you get soaked? Was it much different than WDW?

Did all of you get soaked? Was it much different than WDW?
Yes we all were pretty soaked. I was probably the driest being in the middle of the log, wearing a rain poncho and basically gluing myself to the back of my son. Didn't help keep my shoes or jeans dry! We really did have lots of laughs about it though. All the kids could wring out their shirts they were so soaked. We'e done WDW splash many times and I know we've never gotten anywhere near this wet. We actually rode DL splash 5 years ago and didn't get this wet then either.

I can deal with wet clothes, even wet shoes. But it's what the drenching does to my naturally curly and frizzy hair that really kills me! Ya spend over an hour flat ironing and one trip on the Mountain and you look as if half your head got electrocuted!

That's really weird. We went for a day in July 2018 (after the refurb). It was the same! We rode it twice late at night like we always do and we got wet like we got wet like always. No one got drenched.

That's really weird. We went for a day in July 2018 (after the refurb). It was the same! We rode it twice late at night like we always do and we got wet like we got wet like always. No one got drenched.

I've had the same experience as you. I rode multiple times a day over the summer months last year and was never "soaked to the bone" wet. I was actually disappointing the WDW version is barely a splash as I was looking forward to getting wet to cool off in the September humidity.

This whole thread is mystifying to me. We have almost ALWAYS gotten soaked.

Would someone explain the Splash Mountain change and when this occurred? Thanks.

As far as I'm concerned it's been like this since at least our first trip in 2007.

Pro tip: If you hold your feet all the way up and to the side, so basically underneath the top of the log, it will save them from gettin drenched!

Something that's never worked for me when there's a splash over the side that sloshes UP. I still try it, but if there's that slosh, my feet are toast. Luckily, because we always get soaked, I always wear my flipflops.

Then maybe we all had gotten (mentally?) used to the drought levels of water on that ride?

I think maybe people had. And maybe I didn't go during the drought years. Because seriously, what people are describing are my experiences on the ride.

Well, at least now I know that I need to bring TWO cheap-o ponchos! One for Splash, one for GRR.

One could even get a nice poncho to keep and just shove into a bag. That's what I do.!

There are dryers at GRR. It would be a nice idea to install some at the Splash exit -- it could save on return trips to the hotel.

If they are anything near as useless as the ones at Universal Orlando (and I bet they are) they will only help you if you're already wearing dri-fit clothes and non-cotton underwear or padded bras.

Was it much different than WDW?

IME it's the same. I've been soaked out there, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts