The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: I'm planning to do maintenance runs in June and my plan depends on whether or not I get into Peachtree. If I get into Peachtree, I'll probably do 3, 3, 5 with an hour of hills on the weekend. If I don't get in, I'll nix the hills.

Side note: I'm going to get a myofascial release massage tomorrow to try to get some release on my calf. I'm tired of wearing Rock Tape all the time. She mentioned they could try cupping too. Fingers crossed it works!

ATTQOTD: If I don't have a training plan, I'm pretty lazy/distracted/uninspired/horizontal. My maintenance mode is typically making up excuses to not get out of bed and run. Therefore I need to keep signing up for races because that "encourages" me to have and follow a training plan. If @DopeyBadger sends me a spreadsheet, I follow it. If I have no spreadsheet, I hit snooze until it's time to go to work. In summary, I don't believe I know how to do maintenance.

Side note: I'm going to get a myofascial release massage tomorrow to try to get some release on my calf. I'm tired of wearing Rock Tape all the time. She mentioned they could try cupping too. Fingers crossed it works!
When I started running, I used to get painfully tight calves. I started doing a yoga routine specific to lower legs after developing plantar fasciitis (possibly related?) Tight calves haven’t been an issue since!

After your massage, lookup Jasyoga Preventative Medicine for your Lower Legs & Feet on You Tube. I do an updated version of this routine almost every day (it’s only 11 min) and it has done wonders!

When I started running, I used to get painfully tight calves. I started doing a yoga routine specific to lower legs after developing plantar fasciitis (possibly related?) Tight calves haven’t been an issue since!

After your massage, lookup Jasyoga Preventative Medicine for your Lower Legs & Feet on You Tube. I do an updated version of this routine almost every day (it’s only 11 min) and it has done wonders!

Thank you so much! I will certainly check that out.

QOTD: A few days ago I asked about training seasons vs off season. I would like to know what people do differently for training vs. maintenance vs. whatever else there is. I wonder if the difference is frequency, time, distance, tracking, or just not following some sort of specified run?
Todays question is a suggestion from a fellow poster on this thread. Thanks for the suggestion!

Training: Follow a plan (pace, intervals, duration) adjusted to the next big race I am registered for.

Maintenance: Loosely follow a plan ajusted for a smaller race and be ok with not respecting a given pace if the conditions (mine or outdoor) are not favorable.

Either way, I run three days a week. If other physical activities opportunities arise, they are on top of said running plans.

Hello everyone!
I am new to runDisney and running in general. (Like so new, I haven’t started yet.)
I think I’m setting the goal for myself to be able to run in the Princess 5k next year. Does anyone have a program they recommend for me? I was looking into C25K as a start.
For the record, I am not a runner. I’ll be 37, overweight, out of shape, and I am going from pretty much no exercise. Even when I was young and fit and exercised, I never really liked running. I found it boring and I wasn’t good at it.
Is there a program for people like me to follow? I want to enjoy myself while getting healthier, more fit, and stronger. I figured setting a goal (Princess 5k) may help.
Any and all advice is welcome! Thank you!

Welcome! As others have already said, this is a wonderful group of runners with various levels of experience. Many of us, myself included, have been right where you are, so don't hesitate to ask any questions. Anyhow, I may have missed it in all the great advice so far, but wanted to add that, no matter what program you decide to go with - run much slower than you think you should on the run portions. I am not kidding when I say you may even feel at times like you could walk faster! As most of us start, especially for run/walk programs, we seem to think we should run as fast as we can and end our run intervals gasping for breath. This in turn means that you haven't recovered before it is time to run again and that can get old very fast.

QUESTION (for Galloway Runners):

Do you run different intervals in a race than you do in your long run?

I have been running 1 minute longer during my weekly maintenance runs (as well as running continuously several times) than I do on my long run. I decreased my long run running interval by 1 min in an effort to complete my long run at a slower pace, as suggested. Am I asking for trouble to use my weekly interval for a longer race? I think I should be able to hold it, but without practicing, I don't have the confidence that I won't crash and burn.

ATTQOTD: It is sad, but to stay motivated, I have to have a schedule. If there isn't a run on my schedule, I will find some excuse to do something else as I am in a season of life where I have no shortage of things on my to-do list. I don't necessarily need a race on the schedule to stay motivated though. The training group I am with right now has been offering monthly plans that offer me not just a great schedule of runs, but are full of runner specific strength training.

I have been running 1 minute longer during my weekly maintenance runs (as well as running continuously several times) than I do on my long run. I decreased my long run running interval by 1 min in an effort to complete my long run at a slower pace, as suggested. Am I asking for trouble to use my weekly interval for a longer race? I think I should be able to hold it, but without practicing, I don't have the confidence that I won't crash and burn.

I do the same thing. I am not good at controlling myself so add to the walk time to force myself to slow down. I have done ok with this strategy. Now my problem is running too fast as I try to shorten the intervals back up while building a base.

ATTQOTD: Maintenance is where I tend to get inconsistent and not maintain. Especially as it gets hotter in the summer. I am determined to keep running this year and build a good base... so I found a race to sign up for in early October so I can't quit for too long or I'll never be ready. Plus I will (if all goes to plan) finally have a POT.

We have been using a variety of intervals with our DopeyBadger plan. Our LR intervals currently are :60/:30. He usually has one speed run during the week with different paces and intervals (10K pace is 3:00/:30 and HM tempo is 2:00/:30). We just ran a 15k race doing the 2:00/:30 intervals at roughly HM tempo pace. So, that's a long answers to say, yes. :) I was worried about running that 15k at 2:00/:30 intervals since all our long runs had just been :60/:30, but it went just great!

I don't actually know. :) Like @ZellyB I have been doing a variety of paces on my plan. My runs scheduled to be Easy/LR are 30/30, 10K is 90/30, HM tempo is 75/30 (although I ended up doing 90/30 last night because #watchproblems... I didn't know how to deal with warmup/cooldown at 30/30 but middle miles at 75/30), but I don't actually know what my race intervals are yet, they're not listed on there. :D I think they are probably longer than 30/30 though.

I wouldn't try a brand new interval during a race, but if it's the interval you use for your maintenance runs, I think you'll be fine.

ATTQOTD: My running definitely doesn’t follow a good schedule if I don’t have a race to train for, especially in the winter. My last race was the WDW half in January and up until the last couple weeks, I had hardly run at all since. But I have a marathon I’m registered for in October (I started a training journal for it, by the way - please follow along!) so even though official training for that won’t start until probably May or June, I’m working on trying to put together a pre-training plan schedule to follow for regaining some fitness lost over this winter and getting more consistent. The runs will probably mostly be easy, but I would like to try to build a little more speed.

Honestly, I'm not sure. My only races have been runDisney races so photo stops alter my time. I have run multiple races with photo stop times that have me either finishing faster or very close to the actual speed at which it took me to do the longest run of 12.5 or 14 miles.

ATTQOTD: Same as others, when training for a race, I try to follow THE PLAN. In maintenance mode, run to run. I usually don't have a goal for a run, and the distance run will sometimes change in the middle of a run, might stop sooner, might go longer.

ATTQOTD: I like to race a lot (more medals!) but a lot of my races are done at less than all-out pace, so I really don't "train" for them, but just run off my base fitness. I try to run 5-6 days every week, with at least one, but preferably two, runs of 10+ miles, and total mileage of 45-55 per week. Almost all of this is done at an easy pace (around marathon race pace+1:00/mile or so). Unless I'm really targeting an upcoming race, I very rarely do any sort of work-out runs (tempos/intervals/etc.). I've found that having a solid base like this gets me really close to where I need to be if I'm targeting a race (like going for a BQ or something). All I have to do is up my mileage for a few weeks to the 60 mpw area and add in a few workout runs, and I'm good to go. I've found that maintaining a solid base of easy mileage keeps me injury free and helps me maintain and regain peak fitness much faster.

This is an amazing post I found purely by accident whilst on another board. I am one of the co-founders of www.letsdothis.com a site trying to help you find races around the world. i'll admit at the moment we don't have complete coverage of the USA but we are working on increasing our coverage all of the time.

However, if you are ever heading to the UK check it out, and if you are in the USA it would be great to get your feedback on the running side of it as there are still a lot of events :)

This is an amazing post I found purely by accident whilst on another board. I am one of the co-founders of www.letsdothis.com a site trying to help you find races around the world. i'll admit at the moment we don't have complete coverage of the USA but we are working on increasing our coverage all of the time.

However, if you are ever heading to the UK check it out, and if you are in the USA it would be great to get your feedback on the running side of it as there are still a lot of events :)

Your platform is really slick and the UI is awesome.

I'd love to chat with you on how you populate your content ... I might have a few ideas to help with listings and content stateside. PM if you want!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter