The Running Thread - 2018

FOMO is kicking in...

How fast do we think the 10k or half will sell out for marathon weekend??

I went back and looked and I was able to switch DD28 to the half from the marathon on December 7th for the 2017 Marathon weekend. And that one had no anniversary races in it. I think they broke up some Goofy bibs that didn't sell. (Of course she ended up running the marathon anyway when the half was cancelled!)

QOTD: Today lets discuss water stops at races. Do you use them? Do you carry your own fluids and also use the water stops... or only one of the two? Best type of cups to have a water stops (plastic, paper, other)? Whats your method to getting the water down instead of all over you?

ATTQOTD: I both carry water and use water stations. For long races I normally carry 3 little bottles on my fuel belt. Two with a sports drink and one water. I use the water stops normally for water but have taken whatever sports drink is being offered. The best cup is the waxy paper cups. The secret is to pinch the top making a spout and drinking that way. Takes a little practice, but I have become pretty good at not having sugar sports drink all over my shirt. I have also learned that as much as I hate yellow sports drinks, there comes a time during a race that I no longer care and will drink it lol. Boston offers water and yellow sports drink only!

QOTD: Today lets discuss water stops at races. Do you use them? Do you carry your own fluids and also use the water stops... or only one of the two? Best type of cups to have a water stops (plastic, paper, other)? Whats your method to getting the water down instead of all over you?
I definitely use water stops in a race. I use them as a short walk break, so that I can ingest the liquid without spills or coughing. However, for races of Half-Marathon distance or more in the heat I also bring my own fluids, this could be a small bottle that fits in a pocket of my clothes, or a hydration pack depending on weather and distance.

ATTQOTD: I bring my own water bottle and use the water stops. I like having my own water so that I can take a sip when I want to instead of depending on when the next water stop is. Pinching the cup is key but I still manage to spill it on me at times. Anyone else ever have a coughing fit right after you go through a water stop and accidentally end up spitting the water back out or is it just me?!?

Yesterday’s question: Goofy is a possibility for me but I don’t like saying it out loud in case I get my hopes up and I can’t do it. If I do go, I will probably stay at a value resort.

Yes I do. I don’t carry my own. I don’t like to have a lot with me while running. Paper works best. I usually slow down, drink, and carry on.

All about the water stops! I am considering liquid fuel (tailwind?) going forward, so that could change. On hot/long training runs, I bring a bottle in my flipbelt.

I definitely use water stops during races, and don’t carry my own. I always go for the water over Gatorade. No preference for type of cup - I’m also not really fast enough to worry too much about strategies to save time while running and drinking!

ATTQOTD: Always have my handheld regardless of distance. 5 and 8ks I probably won’t stop to refill, 10k I’ll stop once, half (and longer when that happens) I’ll refill at every stop and mix water and whatever sports drink they have. Only one half where I used my vest and I think I stopped at the last water stop since I was running low. How many times I stop in shorter distances of course all depends on weather and how I pre-hydrated (or dehydrated) leading up to race day.

I prefer paper cups.

Some people call me a beer snob. So we have coffee, wine, and beer covered! Open spots remaining for Scotch, Whiskey, Tequila, Steaks, and Tea.
I believe ice cream was also covered!

QOTD: Today lets discuss water stops at races. Do you use them? Do you carry your own fluids and also use the water stops... or only one of the two? Best type of cups to have a water stops (plastic, paper, other)? Whats your method to getting the water down instead of all over you?!
As it has recently been HOT, I have been trying to run with water on my daily runs, and it has not gone well. Firstly, I recognize that I cannot hold anything in my hand, even for a short distance so running to my track and putting my daily water bottle on the loop failed repeatedly. I got the baby Nathan's handheld as I know I do not need much for a 5 mile run (and again, only if it is hot/humid), but I ended up with a blister on my hand :(
I do stop for water in an organized race, and went for the gatoraid on the last race as the rain had diluted it to a concentration I could stomach it.

For anyone looking for some new Disney themed t shirts, teepublic is having a sale today. I own a few shirts from here and they are great. I do upgrade to the soft shirts and its worth the extra $. Also of note, if you pay using paypal tax is not added on.
https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/1640225-i-am-not-fast

The link above will bring you to the site as well as a solid option those of us that take our running a little slower. I am considering it lol.

"Open spots remaining for Scotch, Whiskey, Tequila, Steaks, and Tea."
Sign me up!

I am THE Tequila snob!
I have been for many years.
I have tried over three hundred different types and brands.
Many come and go and quality varies among the same product.
Makes things interesting.

Of course my favorite Disney spot is the Mexico pavilion at Especially Pricey Cocktails Of Tequila. :)

Some people call me a beer snob. So we have coffee, wine, and beer covered! Open spots remaining for Scotch, Whiskey, Tequila, Steaks, and Tea.

:wave2: Scotch snob right here! The Balvenie Doublewood 17 Year is my regular preference, though the Caribbean Cask 14 year is a fun change sometimes, and the Madeira Cask 21 year is a lovely spurge. 1-2 fingers, neat, with room-temp still water on the side.

"Open spots remaining for Scotch, Whiskey, Tequila, Steaks, and Tea."
Sign me up!

I am THE Tequila snob!
I have been for many years.
I have tried over three hundred different types and brands.
Many come and go and quality varies among the same product.
Makes things interesting.

Of course my favorite Disney spot is the Mexico pavilion at Especially Pricey Cocktails Of Tequila. :)

Alright folks Tequila is spoken for and you are now obligated to participate in DATW Monday after the marathon. You will be our guide of the Mexico Pavilion.

:wave2: Scotch snob right here! The Balvenie Doublewood 17 Year is my regular preference, though the Caribbean Cask 14 year is a fun change sometimes, and the Madeira Cask 21 year is a lovely spurge. 1-2 fingers, neat, with room-temp still water on the side.

Scotch is also taken by @PrincessV ! Not sure where this is a option for DATW, but I will see what I can find out. lol

ATTQOTD: I use them to refill my handheld bottle. If the race has Gatorade or Powerade, I'll just refill with that, or if it only offers water, I'll use that and bring my own Nuun tabs or Tailwind packets. Paper cups are easiest: unscrew handheld cap and hold in teeth, grab water cup and pinch top, pour into handheld bottle, chuck cup into trash, replace cap. No stopping - I just walk until I'm done.

ATTQOTD: I will usually carry my own water (usually with a Nuun tablet) for a longer race or if it's hot out, and always use all the water stops, too. If they have Gatorade, I take 1 cup of each water and Gatorade usually, if not then 2 cups of water. I will also use the water stops to refill my handheld if it empties. The best way to keep myself from spilling water all over me at a water stop that I've found is to walk through it... or just stop and drink my cups by the trash can so I don't have to be a litter bug. Yeah, it costs me like 10 seconds, but whatever. :)

ATTQOTD: I always bring my own water. For shorter races I have an 8oz bottle that goes on my belt, and for longer races I carry my regular 32oz bottle.
I do occasionally also stop at water stops, sometimes because I finished my water, and sometimes for the mental break. When I do stop, I walk the water stop. I cant drink out of a cup while running.
I have no preference what kind of cup, but I hate when they're filled all the way (or even most of the way). I cant drink that much water all at once and I feel bad tossing it.
Also, I once ran a race that gave out small water bottles at the water stop ... that's a big no. If I do that race again (which I will if I can), I'm not going to bother stopping for water.

For anyone looking for some new Disney themed t shirts, teepublic is having a sale today. I own a few shirts from here and they are great. I do upgrade to the soft shirts and its worth the extra $. Also of note, if you pay using paypal tax is not added on.
https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/1640225-i-am-not-fast

The link above will bring you to the site as well as a solid option those of us that take our running a little slower. I am considering it lol.

This almost became very dangerous. But then I remembered that I'd have to pay way too much for faster shipping and it still might not get here before my trip, so I'm okay now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!