The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: In the beginning motivation was definitely an issue, especially skipping one day could derail the whole week. I still struggle with this during the winter. But more often than not now its the first mile. I never feel good during that first one, but after that I can usually get into a good groove.

ATTQOTD: When I first started, I wanted to run all the miles as hard as I could and tried to rush the process, which of course led to injury. Now, sometimes timing everything out is stressful. Increasing my training for the marathon took a lot of planning between my full-time job, part-time job, DH's race schedule, responsibilities at home and then trying to keep some form of social life. When my 17 miler fell on the weekend we were out of town for a race for DH, I had to take off work in order to get my run done. For my part-time job, I have requested not to teach on certain Saturdays or Sundays...which means I'm locked into that day off for my long run; so if the weather is crappy- oh well! I think this is the main reason I'm going back and forth on signing up for my 2nd marathon in March- the time commitment for training.

Do you find it behaves in a temperature dependent manner?
Let me know if you find a catalyst with a higher turn over frequency!
(sorry, I cannot help myself.)

There's definitely a temperature dependency! The colder the reaction mixture, the more energy it takes to get it going! Protecting the reaction from light also seems to inhibit start up, so maybe there's a free radical component to initiation? The two best catalysts that I've found to reduce the energy threshold are fear of an impending race day and having a very compelling story line in the current audio book. :tongue:

ATTQOTD: Just believing that I could run.....a mile, then 2, then 15k (Minnie), then a half (Donald), then a full (Mickie). Every increase in distance was a head-shaking pile of "uh-uh".

Today my single biggest challenge is to stop comparing myself to my younger (yeah, 50 yr old, LOL) self. At 60, I need to stop fixating on racing and PR's.

Just an update...I was excited to find and join this RunDisney group earlier this year to talk about all things running, as well as motivate me for my 1st marathon. Everything was going great, ran a training HM, but then nagging injuries started taking its toll. In the end, a knee injury prevented me from running more than 2 miles without hobbling and stopped my marathon training. I was a bit down and didn’t feel motivated to check RunDisney.

After a few flare ups, the injury seems to be under control and I’ve gotten back to running! I’ve learned much from the downtime...always cherish your health, don’t run so fast all the time, and don’t run away from a group just because things aren’t going your way.

ATTQOTD: When I first started running, I would get so bored of running, to the point that I would sometimes shorten my run at mile 1 or 2 to get home sooner. Thankfully that feeling has gone away. Now, I think the toughest part is starting my tempo and interval runs...they are such a lung and leg killer, but I do feel great after the run.

QOTD: What did you find to be the most difficult part of running when you first started? What do you find to be the most difficult now?

ATTQOTD: When I first started running, I always wanted to go too fast all the time. It was hard to make myself go at a slow, easy pace. Not that I was all that fast - I was just running too fast for what I should have been running.

Now, I'm just impatient with the process of improving my fitness enough to get legitimately faster.

ATTQOTD:

Then: lack of good gear which was mostly due to lack of knowledge. Remember this was before the internet; you couldn't just google 'running getting started'. Real running stores were few and far between.

Now: plain old boredom. I run the same multiple out-and-back route EVERY day. It gets old (like me).

ATQOTD: THEN: This may sound dumb, but there was something more difficult than the actual physicality of running that kept me from properly starting this hobby. Realizing I look fine in spandex and no one really cares anyways what I look like in any workout clothes. It's such a dumb reason not to work out but I really was super self-conscious of how I looked in shorts/tanks/you name it...whether out in my neighborhood or at a gym. Also being seen with a makeup free sweaty red face. It halted me from getting started numerous times.
Fun side effect of getting over it...I wear whatever I want now...and I've spent probably too much money on running clothes and everyday shorts :)
And I GASP post pictures of my gross sweaty self in these clothes on the internet!!!!

NOW: long or fast workouts on treadmills at night. If I could do every workout outside I would. Thursday night tempo runs or longer speedier workouts can be tough. They pay off because I enjoy the fitness and results they bring...but they are my toughest night to get motivated for.

Last edited:
QOTD: What did you find to be the most difficult part of running when you first started? What do you find to be the most difficult now?

The most difficult part of running when I first started? Getting out of the batter's box! Just kidding. It was actually having no way to gauge if I was running well. No benchmark for how fast or slow I should be running. It just evolved over time by running with others and running my first races.

What do I find most difficult now? Getting slower.

I stopped for about 15 years, so going for the recent one and not when I was running in the '90s. The most difficult part, and the part that's the most difficult now, is realizing how far I have to go to catch up to when I was in my 20s. Not impossible, but I'm seriously wondering if I can make 1:15 in my 10k a week from Sunday, and I ran a sub-hour 10k in early '98.

Even looking back at a few years ago, when I first got back into running and was working at it more seriously with my daughter - I'm still not hitting times as good as then, although that may be Strava's oversensitive 'pauses' and jittery phone GPS more than actual difference. It's a bit disheartening, though, to have done a run you thought was really good, and then Strava matches it to one three years ago that's got a 45-second-faster pace.

I stopped for about 15 years, so going for the recent one and not when I was running in the '90s. The most difficult part, and the part that's the most difficult now, is realizing how far I have to go to catch up to when I was in my 20s. Not impossible, but I'm seriously wondering if I can make 1:15 in my 10k a week from Sunday, and I ran a sub-hour 10k in early '98.

Even looking back at a few years ago, when I first got back into running and was working at it more seriously with my daughter - I'm still not hitting times as good as then, although that may be Strava's oversensitive 'pauses' and jittery phone GPS more than actual difference. It's a bit disheartening, though, to have done a run you thought was really good, and then Strava matches it to one three years ago that's got a 45-second-faster pace.

So I should talk (given my answer to this question), BUT that won't stop me! Wipe 1998 from your mind. 20 years ago times for ANYBODY are pretty useless--even for elites.

As for 3 years ago, take a critical look at what kind of base you had, training you were doing and race schedule before you go making those comparisons. Is it comparable to today? More? Less? And then, if you still feel behind, and you want to get back there, you can decide if it's worth stepping up your game.

But in any case, don't beat yourself up about it. And don't give up.

Your doctor hasn't limited your distances at all?

How long was your recovery? I am asking because I had a bone cut in my surgery and had a screw in my foot so my recovery was extended because of that. Your will be closer to what I would have this time around. I am concerned if I have the surgery in Feb/March that I might not be ready for walking the parks in April.

My recovery is still ongoing. I have been cleared to run, but I have had to pull myself back some as I could tell pretty quickly that my ankle was not ready for as much as I was wanting to do. So I am back to walking and riding my spinner and very slow, easy run/walks twice a week. I am also starting a new PT program that is supposed to help with more ankle strength and improving my gait which is really the issue right now. My doctor said I can expect a full recovery and is not putting distance limits (in the future) on me.

My injury was purely the tendon and ligaments; no bone cutting or screws. Surgery was in late August, September was the cast, October was the boot, and since it has been an ankle sleeve. I am almost at 4 months and my doctor thinks it will be 6 months to "relative normalcy". I was able to walk pretty well at 2 1/2 - 3 months; very minimal pain and enough ankle strength to feel secure when wearing the sleeve to get more active. If you can get the surgery in early Feb, I would think that mid to late April would be a realistic goal, even if you have to cruise around in the boot. Towards the end of my time in the boot I was getting around quite well.

Glad to hear that you will have multiple opinions and that you were able to get them so close to each other. This ankle stuff sucks, I can't imagine having to deal with both! Here is to quick and effective recoveries!!

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: When I started running my issue was wanting to run further and faster than I should (who am I kidding that is still my issue). But I think moving forward I am going to have to face the impact of time - 50 is on it's way. My issue is going to be letting go of PRing at distances I set 5 and 10 years ago and simply focus on injury free running. I think sense 50 will mean I move into (glup) the grand masters age division that I will use this new delineation to erase and start over my PR's. It does not matter that I am faster than I was 10 years ago but that I am pushing and challenging the person I am now.

Then: Trusting that the training would work on race day. Even though I ran 14 miles 2 weeks before my first half, I still didn't believe I could do it. I had no concept about why it would work, so I blindly trusted the training without understanding the mechanics of how the distance build up occurred.

Now: Finding the internal motivation to get out there for a Saturday run after a long work week with lots of running when I'd rather sleep in and/or be lazy.

Probably the mental hurdle and build up for longer distances. I never thought when I started I would be running a marathon
I still remember waiting in line to meet Chip and Dale the day after my first half. Sore and still quite exhausted, I remember being in awe of some ladies in front of me with Donald, Mickey, Goofy, and Coast to Coast medals. I could not even imagine such a thing to be possible. And yet now, Dopey awaits me next month. I'm still working on the mental hurdle for the marathon. I've made peace with that hurdle by telling myself that I can either live in fear of the hurdle or look back on the many difficult things I've done in life and must do every year to push through come race day.

When I first started, the biggest hurdle was fear. I was afraid of failing, afraid of falling, afraid I had decided to run a 10K and would not complete it and those around me would see me for the failure I felt to be
Fear consumed me so badly leading into my first half that it nearly ruined my race and ended my racing career less than half a mile into the race.

In the beginning motivation was definitely an issue, especially skipping one day could derail the whole week.
It becomes so easy to say I don't feel like it today, but I'll get out there tomorrow, but before long, it's been weeks since I ran.

It was actually having no way to gauge if I was running well. No benchmark for how fast or slow I should be running. It just evolved over time by running with others and running my first races.
I struggled with this too. While I didn't train "wrong" for many years, I also understood so little about training that I caused myself more stress and worry than I needed to. For instance, I don't like to skip runs when I don't feel good. But now I've learned that most minor colds, illnesses, etc. will not destroy the weeks and months of fitness I've built up to that point.

But in any case, don't beat yourself up about it. And don't give up.
I think this is invaluable for a runner. It's important to try and figure out why something didn't go the way you wanted it to, but equally important to move on from that disappointment.

Anyone have a race this weekend? I believe this weekend is the only week without someone having a official race. I understand why with the holiday and then marathon weekend just around the corner, this weekend is probably not a good idea for one, but if someone has one lined up let me know so we can keep the streak alive!

ATTQOTD: I first started running when I was about 23 and trying to lose weight (the first time). I remember the walk-runs and never believing that I could run 20 minutes without stopping to walk! Nowadays, pushing 42 (which I'll likely "celebrate" while driving from my in-laws' place to Orlando, and I should definitely do something Douglas Adams-related for this birthday), I have so much more running experience. I'm more patient with myself and have a much more balanced approach to my training, but I struggle with staying healthy (knock on wood) and I do dread getting outside in bad weather.

Just 3 more runs in Canada before heading to Virginia and (hopefully) better running weather for the taper!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter