The Running Thread - 2020

Thanks @DopeyBadger I definitely need to look at that carb source. I will say my PB and J is normally pretty close to race start. i dont like to eat early in the morning so i always bring it with me and end up eating it closer to the start. Plus i know i can eat that close to the start and not get sick. I have done it a lot. I know the other thing i can eat and basically go run is the Luna Bar the chocolate peppermint stick. I can sometimes tolerate other flavors but i know that works so if i need to eat and run ( :rotfl2: ) i tend to use that flavor and if i am having one as a snack or breakfast for other things (like sitting in the car) i will use other flavors.

As far as my favorite fluids just in general, i drink a lot of water. i am lucky i love it. I do usually have two normal sized cups of coffee in the morning (after my run). Water all day. Then i do drink wine at night, though not leading up to race day. I don't drink a lot of anything else. No pop, no powerade or powerade zero. I guess i need to take a look at that and see if i can add that pre race day.

This leaves me with 2 things i am going to do for the next time (no way i can fix it all and definitely not at once). First is try to get a more carbs in, not just via pasta, starting two days before event. Second is work on getting gels in me during a race am for 3 or 4 and get them in earlier starting about mile 6. I will still have tailwind or something to mix in and use at the end but get it in earlier in the race.

thanks everyone.

ATTQOD: I’m another one on the c25k train. I did start it and finish it 4 times with repeating the more difficult weeks in the midst of each one. It wasn’t until that 4th time that I kept running once winter set in. I eventually connected with Dopeybadger to get a plan for longer distances.

I too recommend it for others with the thought that it is okay to repeat a run or a week if needed.

I am a little over a week out to the local Half here in Lansing, I believe it is about 1500 runners. Not huge, but decent sized. So far it is still being planned for an in person option (there is also a virtual option as well). There is no official start time, runners just have to begin btwn 7am-8:30am And it is chip timed. I am hopeful the in person options holds as I plan to use to get a new POT.

That is the thing. Cancel too far out and people accuse races of making decisions too quickly but wait till closer and it really causes issues with plans. I'm not sure there is a right time before a race to make the call - people are going to be upset regardless.
I am not sure I totally agree with you. In this case, “numbers have been low and stable.” So what is changing? If the town/county/state is not ok with racing when numbers are low and stable, they should cancel right away or at least be transparent and tell the runners that “we are holding out just in case Covid disappears before race day” which everyone knows is not going to happen.

Here in CT, numbers have been low and stable for months. The state is allowing races with specific requirements/restrictions. Several have happened live but most are still canceling. I have asked a few race directors who have canceled races and they say they want to do the races but the towns are the ones not allowing them even if the race follows the state’s guidelines. It is very frustrating for them I am sure and I don’t blame them for holding out but if the town knows they don’t feel comfortable when numbers are almost zero and the governor already gave the ok what is the point of waiting until the last minute to cancel? If they are holding out for a miracle, that’s fine. Just post that on your Facebook page so runners can look for another race.

I am a little over a week out to the local Half here in Lansing, I believe it is about 1500 runners. Not huge, but decent sized. So far it is still being planned for an in person option (there is also a virtual option as well). There is no official start time, runners just have to begin btwn 7am-8:30am And it is chip timed. I am hopeful the in person options holds as I plan to use to get a new POT.

are you being given specifc start times or can all 1500 start at 7am if they want?

No specific start times for runners, but the website indicates they will only allow as many people to start at a time where social distancing can take place. So I guess everyone taking the in person option could show up at once. But with no official start I suspect the faster runners will step out first and so on. I am planning to be there early, hang back and wait for what looks like the best time To step out and take off. I will not be in that “faster runners’ group, those days are long gone.

Of course MSU (which is 10 minutes from Lansing) has had several outbreaks now that students have returned. So I am kind of wondering if that will play a factor and push it all virtual sometime in the next week. I sure hope not.

No specific start times for runners, but the website indicates they will only allow as many people to start at a time where social distancing can take place. So I guess everyone taking the in person option could show up at once. But with no official start I suspect the faster runners will step out first and so on. I am planning to be there early, hang back and wait for what looks like the best time To step out and take off. I will not be in that “faster runners’ group, those days are long gone.

That sounds like a potential to be a mess unless everybody cooperates. Hopefully it won't be. Be interested to hear how things actually go.

@garneska thanks for remembering! Yes I got to do a real in person race yesterday!
Quick race report: Tugaloo Olympic distance triathlon 9/12/20
Covid precautions- masks were required when setting up your stuff in transition and up until you got in the water. They had masks at the finish and you were expected to wear them, but that was tough as athletes need to rehydrate and refuel after. Entries were limited, only 3 bikes per rack in transition, and the swim start was 2 at a time 10 seconds apart. Water was self serve bottles, they also had small cups with an electrolyte drink available. I just used my own hydration/nutrition. The course never felt crowded.
I had a good day- my splits were 31:37 for the 1500m swim, 1:25 for the hilly 26 mile bike (18.5 mph), and 57 minutes for the hilly 10k run (9:10 pace). I placed 3rd in my AG and got to race with my tri group friends. It was a fun day!62BBD727-596D-446D-95FA-F65FAB2A09E7.jpeg58986827-ECBC-4E30-A22D-219CD8B62F07.jpeg61FB724D-26F0-42C6-9A4C-125426CF3DD2.jpeg18F8EE0F-9703-4891-BD15-75F75187D89E.jpeg

@BigEeyore Wow! Congrats on your tri. You really smoked it (IMO). I don't think I could ever hit that pace on a bike, and I was always sort of hopeless on the swim. In my very brief Tri career (2--1 sprint, 1 half) I never did an Oly. My view was: "Nearly all the swim distance of a half---blech!"

Also....cute suit!

QOTD: When you started running, did you do so because you signed up for a race and needed to train, or you started running and then later started adding races?
I signed up for the WDW 10K first. For me it’s never been just fitness. I do it to run races. Obviously right now in the current situation it’s more about fitness because there are no races.

ATTQOTD: A little of both. A few years ago, started going to WDW earlier in spring and I noticed people walking around with the Princess medals. Being DVC, we chose and booked our trips 11 months out, so I soon realized our next trip was going to overlap with the Princess 5K. I HATED running, but figured I could walk a 5K, so I signed up just for the experience. I didn't train at all, and I just walked it for the most part, but I had SO much fun and SO much medal envy for the longer races (this was when the 5K medals were still rubber), I decided to look into this whole rD thing a little more seriously. That's when I saw the Kessel Run medal. That was it -- I HAD to have it! At the same time, my family saw how much fun I had at Princess and wanted to do them with me, so I signed up for all three Princess races the next year and started training.

Now that I've done multiple races and challenges, and finished my first full in January, I definitely see a pattern of losing interest when I don't have a race to train for. I have good intentions, but inevitably I take a break after the race and then just get lazy about doing any kind of maintenance or regular running until it's time to train for the next one.

ATTQOTD: I started out walking to lose weight and then went back to playing Ultimate Frisbee when I was able. One January my PT asked me to run the W&D half with him, so I started running. I signed up for an April 10k for PoT and was hooked. Really ramped up the running at that point and ran my first half that June and my first marathon the next January as part of Goofy. Ironically, despite getting the ball rolling, we weren’t able to register for W&D and I still haven’t gotten to run that weekend!

QOTD: When you started running, did you do so because you signed up for a race and needed to train, or you started running and then later started adding races?

I signed up for a race as a way to force myself into trying to run 3 miles. I played sports so did run but it was short sprints. When I signed up for my first race 1 mile was about my limit and it wasn't easy. The end goal was more about fitness than racing but I do love racing.

QOTD: I started running because I was about to turn 50 and was looking to improve my fitness, and who am I kidding, because we pushed both my kids to do XC in HS, and my husband, who has since moved on to cycling, also was a runner. I felt like the slacker of the family.

I think I very soon decided to race at Disney....the dearly departed Minnie 15k in2008.

So in short.....Yes.

ATTQOTD:
I first started running. I had a friend who had recently ran a half. I had always hated running, but I was looking for something new besides P90X or another program to stay active. I decided to give running a try - again. I was too late to sign up for a half training program, so decided I would make the 5k of that race my goal. Having races scheduled is definitely a motivator. It’s hard for me to keep running without a training plan and goal in place.

I recently ran OYO Salt Lake City Marathon since all my other marathons had been canceled. I wish I would have had time to wait a day to run - the temps would have been about 20 degrees cooler. (45 vs 65ish at the start and 65 vs 80ish at the finish) I started about 45 minutes before sunrise, and it felt pretty good with the very low humidity (especially compared to what I’m used to for summer running). I wish I could have (would have) started earlier, but I wasn’t sure how safe the isolated bike trail would really be in the dark. For anyone who might run this later, my opinion is the first 6/7 miles seemed fairly safe and through nicer neighborhoods. I might feel okay running there a little more in the dark. The next 6-7 miles to the turn around point are through an open area (with trees), and probably a little more sketchy for running alone in the dark. I probably wouldn’t recommend that section in the dark. When I was there it was light, and there were enough people around that I felt safe. I felt good for the first half, but after the turnaround, I just started to feel tired. I had one quad that just started to feel weak the last few miles. And an ankle that had very minor pain. I don’t know if the sun/heat got to me or if it really wasn’t my day. I felt like I had a really good training cycle, so it was a little disappointing.
The course is slightly downhill the first half, and slightly uphill the second half (150 ft over 13 miles) with little rolling hills throughout (but nothing major except for one that really wasn’t too bad). You have to wear headphones for the app to give directions (I used my Aftershokz, so I could still hear my surroundings), and it worked really well. There were several restrooms and water fountains throughout the course. The app would tell you when the next one was and how far the one after it would be. Overall the course was nice and enjoyable, and the app instructions were very good. I’m glad they created something unique that works well when it’s hard for large races to be run.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter