The Running Thread - 2020

Update on this...I had been monitoring the registrations for this event and it was above 200 remaining the other day, and still at 137 early yesterday. I looked last night and it was down to 10 spots left, so I quickly signed up. I'm looking forward to the event, although I'm a little under the weather this week (not COVID) and have missed a couple of training runs. I hope I can get back out for a few miles tomorrow.
Oh wow that's great! Valley Forge was a little soon for me, but I literally just now signed up for the half marathon that happens on Bucks County Marathon weekend in Washington Crossing in November. It coincides pretty nicely with the training plan I was already doing for the Philly Marathon. It has a limit of 225 or around there too.
Feel better soon. I've been a little sniffly too.

Oh wow that's great! Valley Forge was a little soon for me, but I literally just now signed up for the half marathon that happens on Bucks County Marathon weekend in Washington Crossing in November. It coincides pretty nicely with the training plan I was already doing for the Philly Marathon. It has a limit of 225 or around there too.
Feel better soon. I've been a little sniffly too.

Ooo, that Bucks County race is interesting. Looks like is is about a 3-hour drive from me. When is the race?

Ooo, that Bucks County race is interesting. Looks like is is about a 3-hour drive from me. When is the race?
It's November 7! There is a full marathon Sunday the 8th too. It's showing sold out right now but I know I had been on a wait list and came off this morning, and was given until 9/19 to actually register. So you could potentially join the wait list to see if a bunch of slots open up when folks who had been on the waitlist, don't actually sign up?

https://runsignup.com/Race/PA/WashingtonCrossing/2018BucksCountyMarathonWeekend

QOTD: When you started running, did you do so because you signed up for a race and needed to train, or you started running and then later started adding races?
ATTQOTD: I ran here and there with colleagues until one asked to do a C25k. It was a good warmup before going to the gym too. So I started running before thinking of racing... but I became focused on running because of racing. My running buddy had hurt his knee in Winter so when I restarted running in Spring, I was alone and needed a challenge. I changed trainers at the gym for one who could coach me on running and signed up for my first 10k. By then I knew it could be used as POT for runDisney. I like the motivation future races give me.

I first started running in 5th grade. No race, just cross-country club after school!

I restarted in my adult life after baby #1, for weight management....and then for real after baby #2. I registered for PHM to keep me honest - but it was also for weight management and alone time.

Race #2 of my virtual series this weekend. It’s flexible distance-wise - debating 5 miles or a 10k. I’ve been training hard and consistently, but I’m nervous and feeling afraid to push myself. Been saving a podcast on mental performance - hope it helps get me in the right mindset!

For me it was races first, I never understood why people wanted to run but I ran the Castaway Cay 5K in 2016 to do something different and found out that they also ran through the parks! Unfortunately too late to make the inaugural Star Wars but the following year was the Princess and Star Wars 5K without out much for training. Then I figured why not challenge myself so signed up for W&D 2017 2 course challenge.That is when I started to train a bit more regularly, then the rush I got after crossing the finish line at my first half was instant addiction. It’s been at least three days a week since then and every runDisney weekend until the shutdown, hopefully to return this January

It's November 7! There is a full marathon Sunday the 8th too. It's showing sold out right now but I know I had been on a wait list and came off this morning, and was given until 9/19 to actually register. So you could potentially join the wait list to see if a bunch of slots open up when folks who had been on the waitlist, don't actually sign up?

https://runsignup.com/Race/PA/WashingtonCrossing/2018BucksCountyMarathonWeekend

Thank you very much! I got on the waitlist for the marathon. I had originally been training for a marathon 1 week later, so hopefully this one would be do-able. Also, a 9:00am start makes the nearly 3-hour drive a much more pleasant prospect!

ATTQOTD: I started running as a kid on an age group track club. I ran pretty competitively through college and then sat on my but for a long time. I would have periods of running but would drop it again each time. Around 2012 I started getting more serious and ran the Goofy in 201. From there I was hooked on runDisney. I also have redound my love of running. I had an injury that really sidelined me for almost two years. So now, I still get excited about races and love the race day atmosphere mostly I am just happy to be running!

I have the Capital City River Run on Sunday, so psyched!

Thank you very much! I got on the waitlist for the marathon. I had originally been training for a marathon 1 week later, so hopefully this one would be do-able. Also, a 9:00am start makes the nearly 3-hour drive a much more pleasant prospect!

@SheHulk , I already got an entry for the marathon. I have until Sep. 22 to decide.

I have to say, the runBucks folks seem very enthusiastic and earnest, but their website is a mess to find anything. They do seem like they are trying hard and being quite inventive about covid procedures for their races.

@SheHulk , I already got an entry for the marathon. I have until Sep. 22 to decide.

I have to say, the runBucks folks seem very enthusiastic and earnest, but their website is a mess to find anything. They do seem like they are trying hard and being quite inventive about covid procedures for their races.
I watche

Yeah I know what you mean. I have no idea if they are having race morning bib pickup for instance. Or if it's chip timing?

I watche

Yeah I know what you mean. I have no idea if they are having race morning bib pickup for instance. Or if it's chip timing?

Well, this link says there is packet pick-up at 8am for the 9am marathon: https://runsignup.com/Race/2018BucksCountyMarathonWeekend/Page-5 This page also says there is chip timing, with the chip being on the bib. The big question mark is whether any of this has changed due to covid.

Their main page https://runsignup.com/Race/PA/WashingtonCrossing/2018BucksCountyMarathonWeekend does address covid issues and says the marathon will be on the "chasing the unicorn" course, which is a double out-and-back on the towpath.

I did some digging and it looks like the "Chasing the Unicorn" marathon is usually held much earlier in the year, but was postponed to Oct. 31 for this year. If you Google for the "Chasing the Unicorn" race info, you can find their very detailed procedures for social distancing, lessening contact, and so on. They don't have this info for the Nov 7/8 races yet, but I would assume it will be similar.

It may be that if I actually register, I'll get some info. Did you register already?

Well, this link says there is packet pick-up at 8am for the 9am marathon: https://runsignup.com/Race/2018BucksCountyMarathonWeekend/Page-5 This page also says there is chip timing, with the chip being on the bib. The big question mark is whether any of this has changed due to covid.

It may be that if I actually register, I'll get some info. Did you register already?
Oh funny, I registered for the half so never clicked that "Bucks County Marathon tab" to look at that one! Probably (might) have been useful. Hopefully it's the same info for the half. And yeah I already registered for the half.

Also now that you said that you might get more info if you register, I went back and actually looked at the email I got when I registered! Here is what it says about the marathon:
-----------------
We EXPECT to return to the single out-and-back course
with the stair climb at the 8.25 mile mark and the down steps at 18.
for the 10th Annual Bucks County Marathon
Event Date: Sunday November 8, 2020
Start Time: 9:00am EST
End Time: 3:30pm EST

BUT further down in the email it says:
Plans was for the 2020 Bucks County Marathon course are to return to the single out and back (to just north of Virginia Forrest Recreation Area) but DCNR will only permit the double out-and-back course this year to to public impact.
-----------------
So there's a *stair climb* in the full?!??!?!?

Edited to add that *somehow* managed to find the page for the half, and it does say there is packet pickup before the race but they prefer you come the night before. So thanks for pointing me where to dig a little more.
On the webpage for these races they posted this link and said they are using those measures.

Last edited:
Oh funny, I registered for the half so never clicked that "Bucks County Marathon tab" to look at that one! Probably (might) have been useful. Hopefully it's the same info for the half. And yeah I already registered for the half.

Also now that you said that you might get more info if you register, I went back and actually looked at the email I got when I registered! Here is what it says about the marathon:
-----------------
We EXPECT to return to the single out-and-back course
with the stair climb at the 8.25 mile mark and the down steps at 18.
for the 10th Annual Bucks County Marathon
Event Date: Sunday November 8, 2020
Start Time: 9:00am EST
End Time: 3:30pm EST

BUT further down in the email it says:
Plans was for the 2020 Bucks County Marathon course are to return to the single out and back (to just north of Virginia Forrest Recreation Area) but DCNR will only permit the double out-and-back course this year to to public impact.
-----------------
So there's a *stair climb* in the full?!??!?!?

Edited to add that *somehow* managed to find the page for the half, and it does say there is packet pickup before the race but they prefer you come the night before. So thanks for pointing me where to dig a little more.
On the webpage for these races they posted this link and said they are using those measures.

I read that as the marathon will NOT be using the course with the stair climb because they have to use the double out-and-back course (which is the Chasing the Unicorn course).

I read that as the marathon will NOT be using the course with the stair climb because they have to use the double out-and-back course (which is the Chasing the Unicorn course).
Right, but I was more marveling at the fact that there was *ever* a marathon with a stair climb!!! :oops:

So the marathon I was supposed to run in two weeks got canceled. The entire running community (organizers, volunteers and runners) is disappointed because it is clearly a decision taken by an overzealous clerk at Public Health who did not care to understand what had been put in place by its own team and the organizers. Basically, they suddenly decided to interpret the full linear course of the marathon (42km long by 12m wide, it was an old train track) as one « site » for one « event », like they would for a wedding hall for example, thus limiting the number of participants to 250 on the full course at all time. It is the totally illogical rationale behind the decision that hurts. We would all have understood if the Marathon had been canceled due to region level going orange. No point in rehashing what we cannot change. I am happy about the training I have done.

Here is the letter the organizers wrote if anyone is interested.
Marathon du Petit Train du Nord

So the marathon I was supposed to run in two weeks got canceled. The entire running community (organizers, volunteers and runners) is disappointed because it is clearly a decision taken by an overzealous clerk at Public Health who did not care to understand what had been put in place by its own team and the organizers. Basically, they suddenly decided to interpret the full linear course of the marathon (42km long by 12m wide, it was an old train track) as one « site » for one « event », like they would for a wedding hall for example, thus limiting the number of participants to 250 on the full course at all time. It is the totally illogical rationale behind the decision that hurts. We would all have understood if the Marathon had been canceled due to region level going orange. No point in rehashing what we cannot change. I am happy about the training I have done.

Here is the letter the organizers wrote if anyone is interested.
Marathon du Petit Train du Nord
Sorry that stinks. If it makes you feel better, the races that seem to open up around here are counting people the same way: The cap of 250 people includes all volunteers and spectators as well as everybody participating on the course.

An actual race report.
I ran the Capital City River Run this morning. I was impressed with how they handled all the Covid stipulations. Runners had the choice of doing virtually or in person. They had a kids race, 5K and Half. I did not see the kids race or 5K. For the half you had to wear a mask at registration, until the start and after the finish. I got my bib, medal and a new sweatshirt; really like it! Runners could go on their own between 7:00-8:30am. There were hash marks every 8 feet from the start that went back about a block. I started a little after seven, went very smoothly. Once on the course I could take my mask off. There were two aid stations passed twice; so four opportunities to get water, no food of any kind. The aid stations were self help.

I have been planning to use the result of the race as a POT for MW. My old time had expired. At last years MW I was running to finish and did not get a time I could use. It was pretty cold this morning, great racing weather. I finished in 2:00:43; missing a sub-2 by 43 seconds! But my goal was 2:10, with a reach goal of 2:05. So I am super happy with my results. This is a post injury PR by 35 minutes! After the injury/PT/surgery/PT debacle and turning 50 I figured it was a good time to simply start over.

Looks like 700 people signed up, with a little over half doing it virtually. It was a good event and a good result for me. And now I have a usable POT; and I hope a race to use it for - that wait continues.

Question of the Day: With the sun rising later and setting earlier, how do you stay visible? What do you like about the items you use, and what do you dislike? For those that run in areas with few, or no, streetlights, how do you see the road?

Answer: this is the first year I have had to worry about being visible. While I have a reflective vest (think road construction mesh style), it isn’t enough for two of my routes that have me in the shoulder for most of the time. Also the lack of streetlights has caused a few almost twisted ankles due to the $&*# sweet gum seed balls and uneven sidewalks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts