The Running Thread - 2020

@Wendy98 So sorry about Tokyo. It sucks that this is happening....on the bright side, your body gets extra recovery/training time for London. How did you get your entry for that? I'm going to try the lottery for next year's.
I got invited through the Abbott WMM Wanda Age Group Championship. Basically, you have to be in an age group over age 40. You get points based on other marathons (last year it was just WMM, but they added a bunch for the next round). You are awarded points based on your finish. They take top number of men/woman in each age group (younger age groups have more slots). I was 46/100 and 19th (USA) in the 40-44 AG. Here is Abbott's explanation which is probably easier to understand:

https://www.worldmarathonmajors.com/agwr/world-championships/
This is the first year for the age group championship, which is in London this year. It will probably change next year, but no clue as to where. I found out in October (I think Berlin closed out the year). By this time I had already entered Boston. I am going to attempt both--there are 6 days between Boston and London. Current plan is to run Boston super easy and give the better effort to London.

Agreed, London for non-UK resident is extremely difficult to get an entry. Charity would probably be the best bet.

Good morning folks! It's been a busy week or two. I recently read a story about a guy breaking the 5k record by 30 seconds. I think his pace was 4:08/mi, which is crazy fast. I also think is was the first sub 13 minute 5k. So for todays QOTD: What do you think will be the next big running record we will see?

ATTQOTD: I am torn between a official sub two full or a sub 55 half. While I think the half is more likely to happen, it just doesnt come with the prestige that going for sub 2 does. This is of course assuming the athlete had to choose between one of the two.

That really is unfortunate that they had to cancel Toyko. Anyone traveling to an oversees race has a lot of logistics beyond the race itself to worry about and could be out a lot of money if they didn't get insurance.

This whole coronavirus thing is surprising to me. When my son was 1 we thought he had the flu and took him to the doctor. They gave us a nebuliser and told us to keep an eye on his breathing. They called and told us the good news is that he doesn't have the flu, just coronavirus and to keep an eye on him for a day but it should pass with no issues. He missed 3 days of daycare but was otherwise fine. Now people are dying from it.

Anyone ever tried these GO2 devices? https://go2devices.com

A friend of mine sent me one to try out, she uses it for CrossFit stuff and swears by it.

Breathing was a topic covered recently on a Trail Runner Nation podcast and they didn't put a whole lot of weight into breathing being a big performance indicator for running. It is the first topic covered if you want to give it a quick listen.

QOTD: What do you think will be the next big running record we will see?

We just had the road 5K, American indoor mile, and indoor pole vault records broken. I think we will see Christian Coleman break his own 60m record and if he can stay in shape we may see Bolt's 100m fall at the Tokyo olympics. I think we are going to see an actual sub 2:00 marathon on an official course but don't think it will be in the next year.

This whole coronavirus thing is surprising to me. When my son was 1 we thought he had the flu and took him to the doctor. They gave us a nebuliser and told us to keep an eye on his breathing. They called and told us the good news is that he doesn't have the flu, just coronavirus and to keep an eye on him for a day but it should pass with no issues. He missed 3 days of daycare but was otherwise fine. Now people are dying from it.
People die from the flu too. I think its more about the mass outbreak of it. If it was more under control there wouldn't be much of a worry.

People die from the flu too. I think its more about the mass outbreak of it. If it was more under control there wouldn't be much of a worry.

I know. The way the coronavirus was just no big deal to our doctor at the time compared to the flu juxtaposed against the current news just surprised me. Our son is healthy and rarely sick but with the Flu they gave us a lot of stuff to do (nebuliser, tracking his breathing rate, making sure he had liquids) and then when it was not the flu but coronavirus it was just keep an eye on him and don't worry about it.

Good morning folks! It's been a busy week or two. I recently read a story about a guy breaking the 5k record by 30 seconds. I think his pace was 4:08/mi, which is crazy fast. I also think is was the first sub 13 minute 5k. So for todays QOTD: What do you think will be the next big running record we will see?

My two guesses are a sub-1:05 women's half or a world record full for a women's-only field, which is somewhere around 2:16.

I know. The way the coronavirus was just no big deal to our doctor at the time compared to the flu juxtaposed against the current news just surprised me. Our son is healthy and rarely sick but with the Flu they gave us a lot of stuff to do (nebuliser, tracking his breathing rate, making sure he had liquids) and then when it was not the flu but coronavirus it was just keep an eye on him and don't worry about it.

I think the missing piece here is that, like the flu, the coronavirus isn't a single entity. It's a family of similar virus strains. The strains can vary widely in transmissibility and virulence. COVID-19 seems to be more easily transmitted than most and it's on the severe end of the virulence scale, too. Bad combination. It's entirely likely that your son had a more benign strain of the virus.

just to add to what @camaker said. Coronavirus is just one of the many viruses (like rhinovirus and RSV) that cause the typical cold. COVID-19 is a novel strain of Coronavirus that is causing all the infections in the news. It’s like H1N1 was a particular strain of the influenza virus that caused severe symptoms globally years ago. its why we don’t have a vaccine for the common cold (too many viruses and strains) and need a new flu shot every year (scientists try to figure out what flu strains will likely be common that winter).

Question: I have been spending more time on a treadmill than I would like, and I have spent my time watching netflix. If you run on a TM, do you have a favorite show or podcast to distract you?

I just finished Jane the Virgin and at the urging of a friend started to watch Fleabag before realizing it was unsuitable for the YMCA or work gym. Binge Mode was too distracting and I could have been a bad home video falling off the back end of the treadmill so that is now relegated to less dangerous times.

Last edited:
Question: I have been spending more time on a treadmill than I would like, and I have spent my time watching netflix. If you run on a TM, do you have a favorite show or podcast to distract you?

Depends how long the run is. If it’s short-ish I’ll just throw on Friends for an episode or two. If I want something a little longer Once Upon a Time is a guilty pleasure of mine. Or I don’t mind finding a movie I’ve been intending to watch and splitting it up over multiple sessions.

I reserve guilty pleasure shows for the TM. Right now that's Outlander. For shorter runs, I'll watch The Office, as I'm listening to the Office Ladies rewatch podcast during outside runs.

Podcasts:
Connecting with Walt
Zookeeper Stories
Hist 119 - a Yale course covering the Civil War and reconstruction era
The History of England
Stuff You Missed in History Class
History Extra from the BBC
The Bowery Boys - NYC history
The History Tour
The History Chicks
Lectures in History - from various college classes

I can not watch anything on a treadmill screen as I end up with motion sickness, so would occasionally watch whatever the gym had on the big screens instead of stare out the window. Saw a lot of news, morning sports recaps, HGTV and Sunday morning infomercials.

Dead to Me was my guilty pleasure while running on my home treadmill, but then I switched to the gym and for some reason never remember to watch it. I need to start watching, it was really good.

I have to have Netflix to survive the treadmill. Shows I've watched while on it include Dexter, Friends (no longer on Netflix, sad day), The Office, The Sinner, Ozark, Cheer (please don't judge me, lol), You, Parks and Rec, and Friends from College. I guess I spend more time on the treadmill than I realized.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter