The Running Thread - 2020

Hi! šŸŒˆ (the rainbow is for the We will be ok movement that sprouted from the Covid-19 crisis)

I have a quick question: My DH started running (gym closed). He does 5km three times a week. He is hurting on the top of his foot, at the foot-leg junction, when he runs. Do you have any suggestions, stretches or reinforcement exercises to help him with that? TIA

So, because people refuse to follow basic rules (stay 6' away from others), we have new restrictions in place: local parks are still open, but only for as long as people adhere to the 6' rule, all playgrounds closed, all pools (other than those in the yard of single-family homes) are closed. That's on top of all state parks closed, all beaches closed, and all gyms/fitness centers closed. With the only options left for recreation being sidewalks or parks, I'm guessing the parks will get even more packed and will be shut down soon. ~sigh~ #thisiswhywecanthavenicethings

On the brighter side, I'm okay with sidewalks, and I bought a hydration pack so I can do longer runs without needing to use a public fountain to refill my handheld bottle.

Really random question- does anyone know where I can download WDW parks music? I'm specifically looking for the Magic Kingdom entrance loop. I can get it on youtube, but I'd like to stream it or download it.

I have been playing Disney instrumental music (Jim Brickman Disney and Carthay Circle) in the background while working, but looking for something different.
(Also my mood greatly improved after changing to music from the news ;) )

I listen to D-park radio or Sorcerer Radio.

So, because people refuse to follow basic rules (stay 6' away from others), we have new restrictions in place: local parks are still open, but only for as long as people adhere to the 6' rule, all playgrounds closed, all pools (other than those in the yard of single-family homes) are closed. That's on top of all state parks closed, all beaches closed, and all gyms/fitness centers closed. With the only options left for recreation being sidewalks or parks, I'm guessing the parks will get even more packed and will be shut down soon. ~sigh~ #thisiswhywecanthavenicethings
Chicago just closed the lakefront and all of the parks; my suburb followed immediately afterwards. The forest preserve trails I used to run undisturbed on are now crowded with groups of people. I know of a few trails that are not readily accessible from any parking lot and I'll check them out tomorrow.

I have a quick question: My DH started running (gym closed). He does 5km three times a week. He is hurting on the top of his foot, at the foot-leg junction, when he runs. Do you have any suggestions, stretches or reinforcement exercises to help him with that? TIA
He might try this (which is also good for shin splints and tight calves):
Standing on one leg, point the foot of the opposite leg down so the top of the foot is resting on the floor. Gently press down on the top of the foot, applying as much pressure as you like and hold as long as comfortable. Might find that the tendons of the foot are tight so some release for flexing the foot is warranted.

Also freestanding is optional, having to balance on one foot without an aid does not detract. :)

Altering my running patterns is probably good for me, but the concrete sidewalks are not. So, I have explored and found a gravel access drive as well as some empty asphalt parking lots to circle with the hope my knees, hips, and back will stop yelling at me. My question is would you pick asphalt over paver bricks for a more forgiving surface? My gut feeling is that if it is dry, the bricks set in dirt are better, but I'm not thinking clearly in most aspects of life at this point and welcome additional opinions.

For pandemic-related running, I have been sticking close to home. We live in a rural area, so I very, very, very rarely see anybody out running or walking. I do a 4.5-mile loop from my house, up the highway, onto more backroads, past a farm, and end up back at my house.

I usually head to my favorite rails-to-trail on Sunday mornings for long runs, but with the cancellation of church and school and basically everything, I have been worried that the trail is flooded with people. Instead, I have finally, after six years of living next to it, taken advantage of the single track trails through the woods at the local (half a mile down a dirt road) state park. Ran 3.5 this morning and didn't see a soul. Pace is slower and terrain is tougher, but it's better than being around people!

My question is would you pick asphalt over paver bricks for a more forgiving surface?

I would pick asphalt for the more uniform surface, meaning less likely to trip. Plus, I find running on 'patterns' distracting.

I don't have a scientific study, but asphalt would seem softer/easier on the joints, especially as the weather gets warmer. I'm imagining pounding a mallet on asphalt and brick pavers. The asphalt goes 'thud' and the pavers go 'crunch'.

In these crazy times I want to focus on what I hope happens. Star wars was cancelled and I'm sad. My next race now is peachtree road race in July.

I don't know if things will get back to normal next month or the month after so I'd rather focus on a goal a bit down the road.

Seriouslly, compared to where we are today how amazing would it be that on July 4th, Atlanta is still able to put on the largest 10k in the world with 60,000 people there. I'm signed up (triple peach again actually) but I just think it would be so motivational if on July 4th things are so back to normal we can do a race with 60,000 people together and not worry about things.. and especially for America for July 4th it would just mean so much. That is my dream and what I hope happens and I think July 4th to be able to do something like that is a reasonable timeline.

That is my dream and what I hope happens and I think July 4th to be able to do something like that is a reasonable timeline.

I'm on the same page: hoping July 4th/Peachtree means 'all clear'. Looking forward to number 34, family time, and seeing some DISers (balloon M for Mickey).

If you haven't seen it, here's a link to an interview with the ATC executive director. The tough decision is on what date do they make the decision. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets postponed to Labor Day (maybe a T+D of 155 instead of 160!).

https://www.ajc.com/sports/with-atl...ing-the-ajc-peachtree/7JruHKN5nBczmWo1FADHYN/

At this point I am guessing the B.A.A. 10k that is scheduled for the end of June (21st, I think) wonā€™t be happening. We have a shut down in MA until 5/4 as of right now and with the numbers still climbing I donā€™t think things will be safe by May. So I just find it hard to believe that things will be cleared enough to get people registered and for the B.A.A. to pull off a race of 10,000 people in June. Iā€™m planning for no races to happen until the fall. I hope Iā€™m wrong. I really wanted to get in at least 5 races this year. I havenā€™t raced since October on 2018 and Iā€™m itching to get back.

At this point I am guessing the B.A.A. 10k that is scheduled for the end of June (21st, I think) wonā€™t be happening. We have a shut down in MA until 5/4 as of right now and with the numbers still climbing I donā€™t think things will be safe by May. So I just find it hard to believe that things will be cleared enough to get people registered and for the B.A.A. to pull off a race of 10,000 people in June. Iā€™m planning for no races to happen until the fall. I hope Iā€™m wrong. I really wanted to get in at least 5 races this year. I havenā€™t raced since October on 2018 and Iā€™m itching to get back.
I'm in MA too and really hoping to do a half-marathon in Bristol, RI at the end of June. I sure hope things begin to improve.

I'm in MA too and really hoping to do a half-marathon in Bristol, RI at the end of June. I sure hope things begin to improve.

Donā€™t get me wrong. Iā€™m really hoping the B.A.A. 10k will happen still, even if itā€™s moved to another date. Iā€™m still training as if it will happen. I just donā€™t want to get disappointed if it doesnā€™t so Iā€™m assuming it wonā€™t until I hear differently.

Well, today was supposed to be the Love Run in Philly, but thatā€™s been postponed until 10/10/20. Nevertheless, I went ahead and ran a solo half today. When I got up this morning I really wasnā€™t feeling up to it and keep putting it off. Finally around 11:30 I decided I need to get it done, even if it ended up being a PW. It ended up being my second fastest Half time. Once I actually got running I felt great. Since I hadnā€™t been feeling it I hadnā€™t mapped out a route and ended up running a lot of new neighborhoods off of a whim.

Hi! šŸŒˆ (the rainbow is for the We will be ok movement that sprouted from the Covid-19 crisis)

Hi! This sounds like something similar to what I was dealing with during Goofy training this year. If he flexes his foot, like bringing his toes up toward his leg, is it the big tendon that sticks out on top of the ankle toward the inside of the foot? If so it's what I have and it was called anterior tibial tendonitis. I used some of the rehab suggestions here
http://www.benbenjamin.com/pdfs/09SO.pdfand it helped me, but basically the only thing that helped was total rest for a few weeks and then getting a soft ankle brace and coming back slowly. It still isn't 100% but I can get about 18-20 miles a week out of my ankle right now.

If that's not what it is then I have no advice :)

He might try this (which is also good for shin splints and tight calves):
Standing on one leg, point the foot of the opposite leg down so the top of the foot is resting on the floor. Gently press down on the top of the foot, applying as much pressure as you like and hold as long as comfortable. Might find that the tendons of the foot are tight so some release for flexing the foot is warranted.

Also freestanding is optional, having to balance on one foot without an aid does not detract. :)
View attachment 483560
Oops I should read the whole thread before responding! But take a look at the webpage/pdf I posted also it had a lot of good exercises.

Donā€™t get me wrong. Iā€™m really hoping the B.A.A. 10k will happen still, even if itā€™s moved to another date. Iā€™m still training as if it will happen. I just donā€™t want to get disappointed if it doesnā€™t so Iā€™m assuming it wonā€™t until I hear differently.

I feel a little better about the Bristol race than the BAA 10k, but still not great. The Bristol race is on my list (we got married there), but a half in July scares me weather-wise! Maybe it shouldnā€™t after this yearā€™s WDW marathon....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!