The Running Thread - 2020

March Total: 75km
After the gyms were shut down, my local oval and run paths were invaded by trainers running group fitness classes. Many of the participants were elderly, few were observing social distancing. Add to the mix dog walkers, toddlers, kids on swerving bikes...

Screenshot_20200402-135053_WhatsApp.jpg

Last edited:
March totals:
miles: 152.8
avg pace: 8:49

Thanks for letting me vent earlier, I was in a dark place. I feel like I moved into the anger stage and now onto acceptance. I also did a quick speed run that helped break me out of my funk. We've begun surge prepping so not sure what kind of running I'll be doing the next few weeks.

DH here.
113 March miles. More than in 2019, when I was training for my MW PoT half. But it was the number of runs that did it. Running 4-5 miles several days each week after work to clear the mind before going home. The hospital is gearing up for the coming surge.

Tomorrow was to be DW's goal 5k for the spring. She was so inspired after doing the half during MW. Got herself an @DopeyBadger training plan, too. The race was only postponed (to June) and not cancelled, but given where she was in her training plan, she asked if I'd run 5k with her on the original race date. We plan on getting out early tomorrow morning before all the newbies hit the trail. Hopefully we'll have a positive "race report" to post this weekend.

My April half has been cancelled. It was my PoT race last year, and I'd signed up for it again to bookend the year and try for a PR. I knew weeks ago it was unlikely to happen, so I dialed back my long runs to about an hour.

March greyhound update:
We got the email a few weeks ago: they had several males ready for us to meet and see if we bonded. DW and I were literally <24 hours from heading to the adoption center (a several hour drive) when things seemed to all come apart. Now we're on hold.

The day we were supposed to adopt our next hound, we headed to the grocery store instead, where we witnessed the naked toilet paper shelves. We then decided to go to our local independent running store because nobody would be there, right? Mostly right. They'd staffed extra, as a local high school made arrangements for their kids to come shop for sports that day, but it was cancelled. So we got to tell some of the staff our MW stories. And we bought shoes, socks, and other basics.

Hoping everyone and their families are well.

Good morning! It's a beautiful day here, so I was able to enjoy a run outside this morning, although maybe a little more wind than was ideal. I decided to not constantly look at my watch while I was out and somehow managed to run faster than intended. Actually achieved my goal which I thought was a stretch goal for my 5 miler which was cancelled next month (60:14 - so okay 14 seconds off, but still!)

I hope you're all doing well and able to enjoy your day.

The Philly Hot Chocolate 15K that was supposed to be today was turned into a virtual race. So got out there today and knocked those 9.32 miles out. I looked back at the Hot Chocolate 15K from last year and I was off last year’s time by 1 second. 😯. I couldn’t have done that if I had tried to. I definitely could have gotten it faster, but I went out with a route planned and just made it up as I went along.

With the stay at home order, there is a lot less traffic on the roads and some major roads around me are a lot easier to cross now, so I’ve been doing a fair bit of running through neighborhoods I generally don’t get to. That’s been nice.

The Philly Hot Chocolate 15K that was supposed to be today was turned into a virtual race. So got out there today and knocked those 9.32 miles out. I looked back at the Hot Chocolate 15K from last year and I was off last year’s time by 1 second. 😯. I couldn’t have done that if I had tried to. I definitely could have gotten it faster, but I went out with a route planned and just made it up as I went along.

With the stay at home order, there is a lot less traffic on the roads and some major roads around me are a lot easier to cross now, so I’ve been doing a fair bit of running through neighborhoods I generally don’t get to. That’s been nice.
Nice going! I checked my mail this morning and found my Hot Chocolate 15k packet in there too! I"m guilt-ridden sitting here with this medal I didn't earn :oops: so I think I'll try to do it tomorrow early before the trails get mobbed. I'm too nervous to run on the roads by me. I'm not going to race it, just jog it.

On that note if we go into serious lock down and the gyms are all closed, i am thinking about getting a bike trainer. I live in a condo so I don't have a lot of space, but i do have a bike. What are people's thoughts on cheap bike trainers?
We have a Wahoo Kickr and I use Zwift - while it wasn't cheap, it has been well worth the $$. I have ridden almost exclusively on Zwift for the past two years, as I have had one too many close calls with bad drivers on my bike out on the roads. I LOVE it - there are structured workouts, group rides (where you get drafting benefits!), races, challenges, and opportunities to ride with friends virtually. I love that I can ride anytime - no worries about daylight, weather, or angry drivers.
We got the email a few weeks ago: they had several males ready for us to meet and see if we bonded. DW and I were literally <24 hours from heading to the adoption center (a several hour drive) when things seemed to all come apart. Now we're on hold.
I hope you guys get to do your adoption soon!

Monthly Totals:

Running: 50 Miles
Biking: 80 Miles
Walking: 75 Miles

I am easing back into running. This was my first full month on the new training plan. The month had me doing more walking than running and the milage was usually btwn 2-4 miles. I am so eager to do more. But I am sworn on threat of death (or at least a significant talking to by my PT) if I venture outside the agreed upon plan. So it is low milage, low pace, still lots of walking for now. But my ankle feels really good and my hip seems to be hanging in so far. Honestly, I am happy to be running without pain!

The plan had me working towards the Dexter/Ann Arbor Half Marathon Weekend and it has been postponed to the fall. I have decided to just keep training and run the distance on my own on the day of the race. It will be just fine. I hope everyone is doing well and are safe and healthy!

Happy Monday, all. (Okay there are several things wrong with that comment). I am mobilizing to go for a run after eating my breakfast. The specific breakfast prompted me to post this totally-non-running-related-QOTD, just for fun.

QOTD: What's one thing that you eat now/ate as a kid that you figured everyone ate?.....until you realized that they didn't.

ATTQOTD: 2 Shredded wheat biscuits, on a plate, softened with boiling water, drained, slathered in butter. I grew up thinking this was how it was done. It's how my mother ate it, and I did the same. Have no clue where this variation came from.

Happy Monday, all. (Okay there are several things wrong with that comment). I am mobilizing to go for a run after eating my breakfast. The specific breakfast prompted me to post this totally-non-running-related-QOTD, just for fun.

QOTD: What's one thing that you eat now/ate as a kid that you figured everyone ate?.....until you realized that they didn't.

ATTQOTD: 2 Shredded wheat biscuits, on a plate, softened with boiling water, drained, slathered in butter. I grew up thinking this was how it was done. It's how my mother ate it, and I did the same. Have no clue where this variation came from.
My dad is Welsh and this is definitely something he would eat. No idea whether other Welsh people do or if this is a Welsh thing generally.

March Running

Miles: 57.02
Time: 10:05:41
Average Pace: 10:47

Still trying to keep on running a bit - I'm doing a lot more on the treadmill, as well as around my house. I live in the country and right by a state park, so I never see anyone. However, it's very hilly, and I have taken to running on single track trails through the woods to really avoid people. This slows down my pace, but I'm hopeful I will come out on the other side of this stronger (and more capable of tackling big hills!).

Also cycled about 2 miles (around my kids in the driveway) and walked/hiked about 5 miles with my DH and kids.

ATTQOD: I am not sure if this is actually a normal thing but it was a cream cheese and jelly sandwich, instead of peanut butter and jelly (i ate those too). I am not sure if people eat that or not. Something I love but I am pretty sure few people eat are brunschweiger (liver sausage) and dill relish sandwiches. That is probably the answer to a different question though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter