The Running Thread - 2020

Anyone have recommendations for plus size running gear? I've got one (1) pair of capri leggings from Maurice's that I really like for running, and right now they're holding up fine but I hate to be so reliant on a single garment...plus I'm going to be looking for purple leggings/skirt/etc. in the next year since I'm planning a Figment costume for the 2021 marathon. Maurice's has been getting worse and worse for actually having things in larger sizes; I haven't seen plus size athletic leggings there in ages. I'm too big for everything on the sparkle skirts website, too big for anything on Raw Threads (which was gut-wrenching since I really wanted the "Poor Unfortunate Soles" shirt), and too big for anything sold locally at Scheels (the running bra I got there is too small for me and my ribs always feel bruised after a run, but it's all I've got right now).

Is Torrid my only option? And can anyone speak to the quality of their athletic gear? I've piggybacked onto one or two of my housemate's orders to get t-shirts from them and haven't always been super impressed by the fit and fabric quality, but they do have some fun fandom stuff.

Anyone have recommendations for plus size running gear? I've got one (1) pair of capri leggings from Maurice's that I really like for running, and right now they're holding up fine but I hate to be so reliant on a single garment...plus I'm going to be looking for purple leggings/skirt/etc. in the next year since I'm planning a Figment costume for the 2021 marathon. Maurice's has been getting worse and worse for actually having things in larger sizes; I haven't seen plus size athletic leggings there in ages. I'm too big for everything on the sparkle skirts website, too big for anything on Raw Threads (which was gut-wrenching since I really wanted the "Poor Unfortunate Soles" shirt), and too big for anything sold locally at Scheels (the running bra I got there is too small for me and my ribs always feel bruised after a run, but it's all I've got right now).

Is Torrid my only option? And can anyone speak to the quality of their athletic gear? I've piggybacked onto one or two of my housemate's orders to get t-shirts from them and haven't always been super impressed by the fit and fabric quality, but they do have some fun fandom stuff.

Have you looked at Fabletics? I believe a majority of their athletic wear goes to size 4x, and you can see the styles modeled by women of all shapes and sizes. Full disclosure: I am not a plus size runner and not exactly sure what sizing you are needing but I appreciate on the website how I can see the same item modeled by different women and it gives you the size they are wearing along with their height so you can get a sense of how it might fit your frame.

The biggest downside to this company for me is it is mostly online orders and to get the best pricing they want you to join a membership. I had seen commercials but only checked them out because we have an actual store where I live but I think they only have storefronts in large metro areas. I’m not great at the online returns (I forget and miss deadlines) but it may work better for others. They have lots of bright colors that change seasonally, this was actually part of the draw for me when I was planning a RunDisney costume (I think they may currently have some electric purple leggings). Overall, I found the items to be of good quality, I’ve only bought leggings and a few shirts, the sport bras don’t fit my body very well.

I’m not plus size but just throwing out suggestions. Have you looked at old navy for leggings? Also skirt sports for skirts, not sure about purple but I love their stuff.

Try looking at Bolder Athletic Wear (formerly Sparkle Skirts). They offer a pretty wide variety of their products in plus sizes. My wife loves the running skirts she's gotten from them.

Now that I think about it, I know a number of you are Zwift-ers/ride for Tri training. Would welcome your thoughts as well - didn’t mean to make this specific to Peloton only!
I love Zwift! I have been doing triathlons for several years now - I used to ride my bike outside a lot, but traffic has really gotten bad with a lot of new construction so I have been almost exclusively riding on Zwift for the last couple of years. I really like it because it is the closest thing to actually riding outside without actually being out on the road - I ride my own bike, on the smart trainer (Wahoo Kickr). Zwift simulates elevation gain, and has really taught me how to ride with power. The workouts and group rides are great.

I hate cold weather - last week in Charlotte it was 70 on Monday and it snowed on Saturday. The cold really hits my arthritis hard
And Charlotte keeps on delivering - last Monday was mid 60s and gorgeous - yep snowed Thursday. This Monday was 44 and rain two days later it’s 70. With a low of 25 in two days.

Add me to the people headed to NYC next fall.

I didn't post about it yesterday because it really doesn't feel real. I keep checking the NYRR website to make sure I am really in. It also doesn't help that something weird happened with mine.

I checked the website around 11:30 my time after I saw the drawing was over. Though I pretty much knew the answer already (no credit card charged). And confirmed that I hadn't gotten a spot. And start looking into charity spots and other alternative methods.

Fast forward to 2:30 I've just finished my quiz for class and I'm pulling my phone out of the locker checking to see if anyone texted/called when I was inside. And proceeded to almost drop my phone in surprise. At some point during the quiz, my card got charged by NYRR. A second check of the email confirms it, while mine had a very distinct lack of fanfare compared to everyone else's, I had been accepted into the marathon.

I literally have no clue what changed in about 3 hours. One of my other friends thinks it was a website glitch and I got in via the lottery method all along. And I think its that or a second possibility involving Achilles who I'm registered as an ambulatory athlete with this time around. But without knowing more about the process on both ends I have no way to know for sure what happened.

Either way it doesn't matter what exactly happened or why it happened the way it did. I'm running the 50th NYC Marathon!

Have you looked at Fabletics? I believe a majority of their athletic wear goes to size 4x, and you can see the styles modeled by women of all shapes and sizes. Full disclosure: I am not a plus size runner and not exactly sure what sizing you are needing but I appreciate on the website how I can see the same item modeled by different women and it gives you the size they are wearing along with their height so you can get a sense of how it might fit your frame.

The biggest downside to this company for me is it is mostly online orders and to get the best pricing they want you to join a membership. I had seen commercials but only checked them out because we have an actual store where I live but I think they only have storefronts in large metro areas. I’m not great at the online returns (I forget and miss deadlines) but it may work better for others. They have lots of bright colors that change seasonally, this was actually part of the draw for me when I was planning a RunDisney costume (I think they may currently have some electric purple leggings). Overall, I found the items to be of good quality, I’ve only bought leggings and a few shirts, the sport bras don’t fit my body very well.
skirt sports
@YawningDodo you can check Athleta. They are part of old navy and gap. They have a lot of sizes. They are not cheap though, generally well made. I look for sales. They also make stuff in Tall sizes.
@YawningDodo I'll put in another plug for Skirt Sports - they go up to 3X and carry more than just skirts: capris, tights, shirts, bras, etc. High quality, comfortable stuff that lasts!

Thank you all!! I was having a downer night and feeling frustrated--mostly from the disappointment about the shirt I wanted from Raw Threads and realized I couldn't get in a size that would work for me. I ended up ordering a sports bra and a pair of capris from Lane Bryant that night since they have a sale on and I was a bit desperate, so I'll see whether those fit alright as I'm figuring out next steps. Might have to snag something from Skirt Sports with their sale going, though! Also, Fabletics absolutely does have purple leggings (yay!) though the membership thing makes me nervous. Reminds me of those old CD subscription clubs where you'd inevitably get charged for stuff because you forgot to send a skip notice.

Bonus if I can get things made for tall folk. A lot of skirts end up shorter on me than intended because I'm big in that direction as well. Tall, big-boned, and fat--makes a difficult combo for clothes shopping (I am not fishing for reassurances here--I'm okay with the fact that I'm fat. It's just frustrating to navigate certain things as a result).

If this outbreak is seasonal hopefully it ends with the season but I have been following some commentary about the Olympics. It looks like they would be cancelled as opposed to postpone or moved if it comes to that.

It isn't running but the UAE Pro Cycling Tour was cancelled due to coronavirus cases.

Also, Fabletics absolutely does have purple leggings (yay!) though the membership thing makes me nervous. Reminds me of those old CD subscription clubs where you'd inevitably get charged for stuff because you forgot to send a skip notice.

Fabletics is notorious for pushing you into the membership to get the discount pricing and making it difficult to get out. The parent company/startup fund settled at least one lawsuit regarding deceptive practices. TechStyle (as they are now called) is the same group behind Rihanna's Savage x Fenty brand--also facing the same charges. You may still want to buy their product, just be aware of their sales practices.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!