The Running Thread--2024

I don’t add up monthly mileage because, well.. I just don’t care lol! But I happened to notice that my “all-time” (read: since I’ve been using the app, which is only a bit more than a decade of my running life) mileage total on Runkeeper is getting close to 10,000 miles, which is pretty nifty.

On the general “what does ‘fast’ even mean???” Topic…
I can run fast… for short distances. I was the go-to kid to lead off and give our team a good head start in field day relays.
I can run far… but only rather slowly and with walk intervals. Shoot, I’m pretty sure I could keep going for days if my life depended on it and I had enough fuel.

But fast AND far? Nope. My body just cannot, for a variety of reasons over which I have no control. I love speedwork and do it because it makes me happy - but it does not make me any faster. The thing I’ve come to love most about running is that I can move the goalposts at any time to suit my wants, needs, and limitations. I’m also weirdly appreciative of its ability to humble my “I can do anything I put my mind to” mentality as it teaches me that no, sometimes I actually can’t and that that’s perfectly okay. But I also totally get the desire to do what others are able to master and I can’t. Team Not So Fast is a complicated place!
Same here! I can go fast, I can go far, but not far and fast. I am working on speed, and actually joined a track club last spring and summer. It was completely out of my comfort zone, but no one was shaming, and I found it was better than a standard run club. Yes, I was almost always the slowest one, but being on a track meant I wasn't getting left behind when I joined run clubs. I was in a run club to meet people, but then I was also the last since I do RWR.

Now that I've moved 70 miles away to CO Springs, I don't have the track club anymore. I'm doing speed work on the treadmill with Peloton, specifically with Robin Arzon. Her classes are a beast by themselves, and I feel so accomplished when I'm done.

I got so caught up in getting a 60-minute 10K in COVID but I wasn't enjoying the workouts to be honest. I have my POT for Princess, but it expires after this year, and I don't have another one yet. I don't know if I want to pursue another one. I'll decide at some point, but local races are tough since Colorado doesn't seem to have a flat piece of land anywhere :rotfl2:

I did a race like this in Salt Lake in 2018 or 2019. It was a timed 5K with a donut hole stop halfway through. For every donut hole you ate and kept down, they marked your bib and took a minute off your time! Super fun concept, and there were several athletic young guys who had crazy short official times. Full size donuts at the finish line, too. Sadly this local race didn't survive covid.

This is exactly my struggle and why we have Team Not-So-Fast! Perhaps it's time to start a dedicated thread? I'm happy to do that during my travels today.
Ohh I like the idea :)
To echo @FFigawi How do you feel after long runs, especially runs that include some number of miles at race pace? If you feel the same that is where you need to experiment either with some real food before the run or different fuel during the run.

What kind of training are you doing to improve speed. @DopeyBadger provided some great information here about the types of paces you need to run to improve speed. My race times plummeted when I added in the types of pace workouts the Hanson method incorporates to their training.
What kind of speed work are you doing? What worked for me was a combination of Vo2Max workouts and Threshold workouts. I did them on alternate weeks for three months before I started my Hanson's HM plan.

This was a great article which guided my Vo2Max workouts:

https://lauranorrisrunning.com/vo2max-fartlek-workout/

For the threshold workouts, I used Joe Friel's threshold field test to determine my lactate threshold and would do mile repeats with a minute jog in between intervals.

This article might help you with the threshold workouts:

https://lauranorrisrunning.com/how-to-use-threshold-workouts-in-your-training/
To both of you guys... I am in customize jeff gallow group... so wed are the day I work on counting my steps and trying to make it as fast as possible. I have gotten good at them... and have up it for sure. Also I do 800 work some times on the weekends... I suck so bad at them. I always go out too fast and die later... lol. So I have a plan that I follow. I wish I could do the weekly talks more... but being a teacher on in Colorado time zone they are when I am at work or picking up my son... so I do not get to talk to chris as much as I would like about my worries.
For what it's worth, that group isn't associated with the Slow AF book author and they've actually been trying to get them to change the name of the group because of all the negativity and speed shaming that goes on in there. I joined but left when I realized it was really just a place for people to brag. There are so many better, more supportive running groups on fb and here!

I am not fast. I am probably never going to be fast enough for a proof of time. I question sometimes why I spend so much time doing something that I'm actually quite bad at. But I love it, and it's good for me physically and mentally, and I love this community. I'm realizing that I can do things badly and still enjoy them, and that's another reason why running is good for me.

It's good to want to improve but even if you don't get a proof of time there will still be plenty of people at the back of the pack with you. Come party your way through Dopey with us! 🎉💜💎💚
Yeah... I learned about the recently and I was very surprised. I have been in the back... I just want to meet more characters.. the line are just soo long. So I was hoping I would get faster...

The following is my mindset when I start working with a new to me runner, and can be attributed to looking at one's self potential path over the short and long term.

What's their potential?

One of the easiest places to start is with potential. Like it or not, training can only take each of us so far. There's virtually no chance for any of us to go from where we are after years of training into Olympic level athletes. So each of us has a "cap" so to speak of about the best we can reasonably expect. A good average for that is a 20% increase in Jack Daniels VDOT value. Now, that's an average value. Which means there will be people who improve more and some improve less. But even in my own limited work in comparison to the vast population, I see that average number often. So how is it calculated?

The best place to start is by typing in one of your earliest 5k races into the Jack Daniels VDOT calculator (link). Doing so will output a VDOT number. For instance, if I type in 30:00 min 5k, then I get a value of 30.8. So then what's a reasonable average potential cap for someone who starts out as a 30 min 5k runner?

30.8 * 1.2 = 37.0

This was a great post, and my key takeaway is that I've already reached my cap :rotfl2:When I compared my first race (a 10k in 2012) to my latest race (a 10k in April), my VDOT changed by 1.23 in that 12 year span.

It's all downhill from here :P

This was a great post, and my key takeaway is that I've already reached my cap :rotfl2:When I compared my first race (a 10k in 2012) to my latest race (a 10k in April), my VDOT changed by 1.23 in that 12 year span.

It's all downhill from here :P

And that's not from a lack of trying a variety of different approaches as we've tried them together. Like I said, I still don't have all the answers on why some have so much more room to grow and not others.

I've come to the conclusion that with running, like with any sport, some people are just more naturally gifted at it and have higher potential / faster times.

I accepted that 1. I'm never going to be super fast, but more importantly, 2. I don't have the desire to put in the work that is required to improve significantly. I'd rather go out and happily run slow miles vs. dread having to run.

Others want to push themselves to see what they can achieve, and that's awesome!

And that wisdom has only come as I moved from a young 20-something runner with no life commitments (except for a job) to someone pushing 40 with two kids and way more commitments.

The following is my mindset when I start working with a new to me runner, and can be attributed to looking at one's self potential path over the short and long term.

What's their potential?

One of the easiest places to start is with potential. Like it or not, training can only take each of us so far. There's virtually no chance for any of us to go from where we are after years of training into Olympic level athletes. So each of us has a "cap" so to speak of about the best we can reasonably expect. A good average for that is a 20% increase in Jack Daniels VDOT value. Now, that's an average value. Which means there will be people who improve more and some improve less. But even in my own limited work in comparison to the vast population, I see that average number often. So how is it calculated?

The best place to start is by typing in one of your earliest 5k races into the Jack Daniels VDOT calculator (link). Doing so will output a VDOT number. For instance, if I type in 30:00 min 5k, then I get a value of 30.8. So then what's a reasonable average potential cap for someone who starts out as a 30 min 5k runner?

30.8 * 1.2 = 37.0

So then I'd go back into the calculator and see what a VDOT of 37.0 is equal to by brute forcing the calculator until I get a matching value. It's a 25:45 min 5k. So a reasonable expectation is to see a drop of about 4-5 min when this person reaches their peak. Going from a 9:39 min/mile 5k to a 8:17 min/mile 5k. Does it always have to be that way? No. Again, some people see more or less. Here's my progression:

View attachment 856106

My very first training run when I started in June 2012 was around a 36 min 5k. First race a 4:50 marathon (Oct 2012). First HM on a known short course with adjusted time around a 2:00 (April 2013). So that's a starting VDOT of 24.7-36.5. My peak has been the 2018 Dopey 10k in 39:54 (VDOT 52.1). So on the high end, I've improved my VDOT by 110%, and on the low end 43%. So just to show an example, it's possible to exceed that 20% VDOT improvement value.

On the flip side, I've seen others work as hard as I have using similar training plans, career miles, and all the other fixings and not see near the same improvement as I have. I'm very lucky, and to this point don't have an answer as to why one is above the average in improvement and another not, when following a similar path. But one way to figure out one of the best ways forward is to look for what plans have worked well and which have not and look for similarities/differences. Look at volume, effort levels, circumstances around the races, etc.

How long does it take to hit that long term potential?

For endurance races, it's on the order of years. Another good average, not perfect, is around 7,500 career miles of good training. After about 7,500-10,000 career miles, you're likely as good as you're going to get. I hit 7,500 career miles in early 2017 (about where that small green dot is). I've tried a lot of different training techniques since then, and every once in a while I'll catch lightning in a bottle, but for the most part I've been pretty much the same since then. I'm coming up on near 20,000 career miles with not much difference since 7,500. These days it's more about maintaining than it is expecting to see much more in terms of improvement.

Once we know the reasonable potential, and what the goals are, then we can figure out what's the best way forward.

Needs Endurance (most of us)

In my experience, about 90-95% of the people I work with fall into this category. Most of us are trying to improve our 10k, HM, M times. And more often than not, to meet that end you need more endurance. But how do we determine which is the best path forward. I start off with typing in some recent race times within the last six months. Here I'm trying to assess where current fitness is. Let's say someone has a goal of a sub 2 HM, and has recently run a 2:05 HM. According to the VDOT calculator, the following are the equivalents to the sub 2 HM.

View attachment 856107

If we do a mile test, and they run a 7:45 min/mile or faster, then they already have the requisite speed to run a HM in under 2:00 when fully trained. For them, I'd aim for more endurance work. More HM tempo (9:09) work to get them comfortable with that particular pace. More work just slightly faster and slower than HM tempo to have them understand how the early and late race should feel. Some blind tempo runs where you're not allowed to look at your watch for feedback and you have to "feel" the pace.

Now one way to improve speed is simply more endurance as well. We all have our caps in terms of the weekly volume we can tolerate. I've seen some runners who've tried 6-7, 7-9, and 9-11 hrs per week, and done better at different ranges. Some are better at 6-7 and some are better at 9-11. Only way to know for sure what type you are is to try with a well written/structured and safe training plan to see what happens to your body, and only with a proper volume buildup to it. Don't go from a max of 6hrs per week into a training plan that maxes at 11 hrs per week. A proper long term approach is needed.

Need Speed

If we do a mile test, and they run a 7:45 min/mile or slower, then they need more speed in order to hit that HM time. Now it depends on how far away they are. If they're running a 8:30, then it's going to some work to get down there. Maybe more than a single training plan can yield (more on that coming up). So they'll probably need two training plans or 6 months to be closer to hitting that sub-2 goal. If they're closer, then we might try blending the speed and endurance into a single plan to hit it sooner.

When I'm prescribing speed work, my first go to is the Jack Daniels 3rd edition mile or 5k/10k plans. I've seen tremendous progress for myself and others using that system. It really helps get you comfortable with being uncomfortable. The issue for most is that the Jack Daniels plans are written in a weird format (with distances/times/paces) that can make it overly complicated at first. You really have to sit down with the book and understand what he wants you to accomplish in the workouts. I've simplified it based on the understanding that deep down all of our physiological systems work similarly when it comes to effort and time. So if you and I do a 45 sec fast pace + 90 sec rest at a relatively high effort, then in a vacuum we're doing a similar workout regardless if one of us is doing 100m and the other 200m. So converting his workouts into time based makes it easier to translate to people of all paces.

We know the reasonable expectation for the long term, but what about the short term?

So if it takes years to hit your potential, what's a reasonable expectation for a single training plan? Again, another good average is around 3-5%. Sometimes more and sometimes less. That's going to have a lot to do with how long you've been training for. Because as the flat line suggests, it gets harder and harder to make smaller and smaller gains. But let's go back to the 2:05 HM with the sub-2 goal. What's a 5% gain in a single training plan?

2:05 * 0.95 = 1:58:45

So depending on a lot of factors, it's possible to go from a 2:05 to a 1:59. You can expect less gains if you're later in your journey and more gains if you're early.

For endurance, the first real kick into overdrive came when I did the Hansons Intermediate (blending of Beginner and Advanced) plan in 2015. Made tremendous improvements on my marathon time as it relates to other race equivalencies.

For speed, I always go back to the Jack Daniels 3rd edition mile or 5k/10k training plans because I saw an unexpected improvement. The 5k/10k plan was in early 2017 at that small green dot (VDOT 47.2 and 10k of 43:25), and then after a single training plan was a 19:29 5k with VDOT of 51.4. That was a 8-9% improvement in VDOT and 5k performance. A tremendous improvement off a single plan, and even more impressive coming so near that 7,500 career miles.

Now for a while, I was an odd duck. I could do really well comparatively in 5k, 10k, HM, but never the mile. My mile time was always slower than the others. So in 2020 I did a Jack Daniels mile training plan and was able to finally lower my mile time from 6:02 to 5:42 (VDOT 51.3) but still not quite the same performance as the other VDOT PRs.

Now it's important to note the final caveat. In general, the online race equivalency calculators are not good for setting reasonable marathon race expectations. The values outputted generally fall into a value that only about 6% of people achieve.

So going back up to that now sub-2 runner and the screenshot with equivalencies. They may now have their sights set on a 4:07:42 M time because that's what the Jack Daniels calculator says they can do coming off their 2:00:00 performance. But the truth is, only about 3-4% of 2:00:00 HM runners will hit a 4:07:42 M time based on a large recreational runner population data set (link). So based on that data set, what's a better expectation for our 2:00:00 HM runner?

6% of sub2 HM runners will run a 4:10
10% of sub2 HM runners will run a 4:12
25% of sub2 HM runners will run a 4:17
50% of sub2 HM runners will run a 4:25

That's a big difference, no? The race calculator says a 4:08ish, but the average sub2 HM runner will actually run a 4:25. So those online race calculators tend to set unreasonable expectations for M goals.

So like I said, that's how I approach goal setting, potential, long term gains, short term gains, when I'm discussing these things with people I've never yet worked with. It kind of helps see the roadmap I take mentally with trying to help others achieve their goals. As always, reach out and I can try and talk you through what I'm seeing in the data.
So there is a chance I reach my peak or close to it... I started running about in 2020s during Covid and I am turning 40 this year. I have worked up from couch to 5k to all the way to running a Marathon lost about 50ish pounds (still overweight though) . Cool... lol. Well there we go...

The thing that does make me feel better but does not help for POT... I always run soo much better in WDW cause of the lower altitude. But cannot afford to go to a lower altitude place just for a POT.

Also thanks everyone for letting me vent and whine a bit and love that you guys understand my pain.

April Total: 9.7 miles, all treadmill (was hoping to get in 3-4 miles outdoors but it just didn't work out).
That was at an average of about 12:45 min/mi, so add me to team "on the slower side." I used to run faster (not much, but faster) and I actually hated it. I'm happier when I run slower (although I still don't love running).

The Disney POT thing sucks. There's such a perception within the community that you can only have a good experience with a good POT and it's hard to get out of that mindset. Truth is, my ideal Disney race (all the characters, no crowding) can probably only happen with a POT that's way outside my range. So I've kinda just adjusted my mindset to "whatever I get I get, as long as I finish." It's not ideal, but I manage to have a good time anyway. It's just really hard to get into that mindset when you know there's more available.
So yeah. I definitely feel the POT pain. It sucks that you can't have the same experience at all paces.

I am usually in the second to last corral and I still managed to do a character stop, castle photo, and SSE photo at Princess Half. I also stopped twice for the bathroom. For the Springtime 10 Miler I was in C and got two characters, a Tower photo, and the bellhops. I also stopped once for the bathroom. So I’m not at the total back of the pack, usually have 15-20 minutes on the balloon ladies, but I can still stop and not get swept. Would I like more characters? Sure, but I’ll take what I can get!

April Running

Total Distance: 82.6 miles
Average Pace: 11:19/mi

Tough month. Had a mystery illness that knocked me down for almost a week, then a hip/quad tightness and pain that has kept me from training hard the past 2 weeks. Pain almost gone but I don't have high hopes for a strong race at the Broad Street Run this weekend. In a real first, I have NO races on my calendar after this weekend, all the way through to the 2025 WDW Marathon! I'll keep running this summer but the focus is to try to find a good strength training routine to stick to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter