The Trip That was The Good The Bad and The Ugly Christmas thru January

FtW Mike

DIS Veteran
Our trip started great. Departure day December 17th arrived and we were already fully loaded the dogs were excited to get going and as we hoped to leave at 8 am at 8;05 we were pulling out of the driveway. Stop 1 Carolina Crossroads RV Resort in Roanoke Rapids NC is about 300 from home I and as I need to Dewinterize for the remainder of the trek and I can get there before 4pm. We arrived at 3 and after a quick trip to the Dog Park (another reason we like it here) I finished out set up for the night and Lucille heated up the Lasagna she had had made for the trip.
The next morning Lucille discovered she had left her Wallet at home We had enough Id to prove who we both are so onward we would press. Breakfast was in our Favorite Cracker Barrel on the outskirts of Fayetteville NC. In SC we did a quick stop for Fuel at the Pilot Flying J outside Florence SC exit 170 off I 95. Stop 2 is Camp Lake Jasper Hardeesville SC exit 8. We LOVE this place. The girls adore the dog park and love chasing the neighbors chickens that come over and under the fence in the morning. Dinner is the second half of the Lasagna .
Day 3 we are trying a new place to us. Thanks extended to Vince The Snow Medic for his review of the Whippoorwill KOA in Orlando. I looked them up liked the price and ease to Disney the next morning. When they said they had an opening we would fit in I jumped on it. At the time I booked it I didn't care that it faced the lake but appreciated it . As we were having our coffee the next day we stopped for few minutes to marvel at the Spaceex Missile launch that took place the morning of Dec 20.

The extra time we spent watching the launch actually ended up being a good thing. While I had filled the propane tank back in the fall between needing it the previous 2 nights and on a few days when we did some house keeping before we left. They offer propane at a reasonable rate but it is not available before 9am so we had extra time to fill. Once we filled the tank we were off to Disney any 20 minutes later we were there. Our assigned spot came available as we were arriving and it was one that we knew would be very tight for us. I had done some research both as an online search and in person search last year for sites we would prefer. Number 2 on our list 1807 was available so we jumped on it. A half hour later we were in our site with the coach set up and out exploring the 1800 loop for familiar faces.
I had also done so coordinating with Kristin regarding our golf cart and as it was a purchase from them Kenny wanted to be there for the delivery. As often happens he was running in multiple directions at once. So when another customer was bringing in his cart he also brought in ours.
Resized_20191221_084942.jpg
THis is the cart he built for us. For those don't recognize it that is the base color scheme for the NY GIANTS
Resized_20200115_150005_37258033650994.jpg
While this was taken later in the trip it does show how much the girls liked it. The rain cover was an extra from AMAZON and in the first 10 days we were there it paid for itself with the cold and sporadic showers

Once we had the cart and the girls saw it they jumped right in so we decided this was a good time to go visit the dog park. While Disney did some improvements ie a covered area for people to congregate under at the picnic tables the grading they did leaves a lot to be desired. The pooling and puddles that form from the rain turn both the large and small dog sections into a near swamp. It took a while for this to finally dry out.
When we left we went and did some quick looping and went to see our friend the Crazy Kentucky Goat Lady. Unfortunately she wasn't there and Lucille wouldn't let me kidnap one of the goats. So off to do some recon looping we went. Then to the coach and feed the girls before we went off to Trails End and our Dinner. After dinner it was a quick trip to the Settlement Depot to see what sort of Fort themed Merchandise was available before heading back and calling it an early night after 3 days behind the wheel i was ready

The extra time we spent watching the launch actually ended up being a good thing. While I had filled the propane tank back in the fall between needing it the previous 2 nights and on a few days when we did some house keeping before we left. They offer propane at a reasonable rate but it is not available before 9am so we had extra time to fill. Once we filled the tank we were off to Disney any 20 minutes later we were there. Our assigned spot came available as we were arriving and it was one that we knew would be very tight for us. I had done some research both as an online search and in person search last year for sites we would prefer. Number 2 on our list 1807 was available so we jumped on it. A half hour later we were in our site with the coach set up and out exploring the 1800 loop for familiar faces.
I had also done so coordinating with Kristin regarding our golf cart and as it was a purchase from them Kenny wanted to be there for the delivery. As often happens he was running in multiple directions at once. So when another customer was bringing in his cart he also brought in ours.
View attachment 475134
THis is the cart he built for us. For those don't recognize it that is the base color scheme for the NY GIANTS
View attachment 475133
While this was taken later in the trip it does show how much the girls liked it. The rain cover was an extra from AMAZON and in the first 10 days we were there it paid for itself with the cold and sporadic showers

Mike, do the dogs have a preference for riding in the front or back seat of the cart? Me and my brothers had our favorite seat positions when we had the family station wagon (with the rear facing back seat!).

Bama Ed

I remember a rear facing statin wagon, too. And, yes, we also fought for that back seat.

Mike, thanks for sharing a trip report with us.

Mike, do the dogs have a preference for riding in the front or back seat of the cart? Me and my brothers had our favorite seat positions when we had the family station wagon (with the rear facing back seat!).

Bama Ed
Ed they are funny. If I take them 1 at a time everybody wants to ride up front otherwise Katie jumps into the front seat ant won.t move till I push her Wide Load over. Sky is very happy with rear seat if we all take a ride, and both seem to like the rear if I fold the back seat down and will ride there

Last edited:
Mike, Thank you for sharing your trip. I love the golf cart ~ the babies are ready to go looping. Our Missy wants to drive when I take her to the doggie park. I just tell her move over no license to drive yet haha. Have fun & keep the sharing forth coming, if you can.

Mike, Thank you for sharing your trip. I love the golf cart ~ the babies are ready to go looping. Our Missy wants to drive when I take her to the doggie park. I just tell her move over no license to drive yet haha. Have fun & keep the sharing forth coming, if you can.
Happy to share. Katie is the same as your Missy only she insists she has a license just look at her collar. Then I push her fat behind over. Kenny did a great job on the cart fixed it up exactly the way we wanted

Sounds pretty good so far. The wallet would be frustrating, but looks like that wasn't too big of a hurdle.

Thanks for sharing

Since Sat. the 21st was a last minute add on we had little to no plans. Finish putting standard stuff at the site like outdoor mat, chairs, string up some lights and as we are in Florida put out some Sparkalee Turkeys (Some call them Flamingos) Then decorate the cart for the Holiday Parade. As the weather forecast had rain we decided first thing to do was add the rain cover we bought for the cart. Good decision all the way around as we had the sides down more than up during the first 10 days. We put up 2 strings of lights that have been in our basement for 4 years ( Too bad one string went out and the offending bulb couldn't be found) Then added the candy canes and Garland to the cart .
Resized_20191225_113432(1).jpg
Resized_20191225_113432(1).jpg
We had considered going to Disney Springs to check out the Christmas Tree Trail but the weather wasn't looking too cooperative. We ended making a ressie for Whispering Canyon Cafe over at WL. The Log Cabin Gingerbread House was really neat. The lack of Squeaky Squirrel and Ferret Fart Soaps in the Mercantile was a major let down.
Resized_20191221_171733_52989194568795.jpg
The change over to an All Platter menu there was something of a disappointment . The food was great but we were looking forward to some old favorites. Still a must do place for us but we'll likely cut back to 1 breakfast and one dinner in future trips

Attachments

• Resized_20191221_171748_52963437427919.jpg
    Resized_20191221_171748_52963437427919.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 8
Sunday Dec 22 was our original check in day so again we had no real plans for today. Went out to work on that string of lights that had gone out. Checked every bulb for seating , doubled checked the plug, broke out another string that worked each bulb to make sure they all lit up but still this one wouldn't light up. Tossed both strings. Did set up our propane grill and did some quick dogs for lunch. Then took the girls for a ride to the dog park. This is when we found out Katie is a COUGAR. Another couple in our loop had a 7 month old Basset Hound pup named Walter. Well when he came over to say hello she immediately started to play Kissey Face with him and that set the tone for every time she saw him

She must have a type because she later met a 7 month old lab mix also n no named Walter and same thing.
Katie by no means is our only little Hussy Both she and her sister Sky are a pair of Gold diggers when it comes to Kasey. Kasey is our friends 10yr old Golden Retriever. Both want to have a Vacation fling with him.
Back at the coach we caught the rest of the days games before heading to Trails End for dinner. After dinner we went back and got the girls for some loopienng to enjoy peoples decorations all lit up

Mon the 23 was our first Park day. We always start with MK and Lucille is still unhappy that the WDW RR is still out of service for the TRON construction. While she allows me to enter Town Square and look up Main Street USA to catch a glimpse of the castle, she wants to ride the RR over to Fantasy Land and then work our way towards the Castle. As we went earlier in the day in order to catch the Holiday Parade I booked FP's for some old Favorites Jingle Cruise, POC and Haunted Mansion so we would arrive at Diamond Horseshoe in time for our ADR but still see the parade. That worked out pretty well . That is considering Lucille decided to back out of POC as she wasn't ready for the drop at the front of ride. I looked and saw a 30 min wait for standby so I did it that way after cancelling our FP's BTW actual wait was more like 15 to 20. As we headed back towards the archway into Adventureland we saw that The TIKI ROOM had a 5 min wait so we jumped in that line.
Once in Adventureland we saw a 10 Minute wait for Country Bear Jamboree so in we went. During the show I took a bunch of pictures of the CAST and sent them to my friend for his son who has a bear Obsession since they stayed at a relatives cabin with a bear skin rug. We still had 40 minutes before our Haunted Mansion FP ripened but the River boat had just pulled into Port and Lucille wanted to ride. So on line we got for Samuel Clemmons tour of the Mississippi River. When we got off it was evident that the crowds wer forming for the parade . Doing Haunted Mansion would mean a less than desirable Parade Viewing location so I cancelled our FP and grabbed a great location outside of the Diamond Horseshoe. When the parade was over I checked us in and we were soon seated. While I really want to rave about the food here I have to be Honest. This was the 4th day in a row that essentially we were eating BBQ and we were BBQ'ed out by then. We won't not go again but will make sure we have a week or so between BBQ themed places I book it again.
After dinner we made our way back down Main Street and caught the boat back to FtW.The girls got a quickie trip to the Dog Park and they had dinner once we returned . The great ways people decorate their sites makes evening looping for us a simple choice and that is how we spent the next few hours. We did have to laugh as SKY is no fan of the inflatables where SANTA steps out of a camper or outhouse so we would have to check them out from a distance.

Christmas Eve is an important day for us. After Coffee in the dog park with friends it was off to Wilderness Lodge and Breakfast at Whispering Canyon Cafe. The antics were great and one server in particular caught our attention. While not ours both Lucille and I couldn't help but notice she is my aunt's doppleganger. Nice to that when a Nun retires the convent finds ways for them to remain busy
Resized_20191224_095931_132283071866511.jpg
This is the woman in question and my mother, Uncle John and sister Reenie all agree with our assessment.
Once done with Breakfast is was back to the coach and the girls for another trip to the dog park. We also found a note letting us know that the Pet Parade would be at the Campfire Movie theater rather than the dog park. We did have concerns the girls would try and eat their FROZEN Princess capes but they could care less. In fact Katie was more interested in meeting Miss Dolly and Six Bits Slocum who were hosting the event than anything else. While the fix was in and they didn't win before we left the staff of the Pet Care Center couldn't help themselves and gave them each a special prize
Resized_20191224_163941_132245860985119.jpg
Here is SKY with her Major Award
As it was overcast raining and cold we went back to the coach for more coffee before the Golf Cart Parade, The Girls by now weren't too happy with their capes so off they came while Mom and dried off and tried to warm up. At 4pm we went to the hitch unhitch area to join the procession. As we pulled in our Friend the Crazy Goat Lady from Kentucky called us over and we lined up behind them. Big Mistake. They had one of the goats atop their cart and during the parade it wasn't pretty. Holding onto KATIE and driving the cart made taking any pics impossible and we ended up being the very last people in the parade.
FB_IMG_15774174912951.jpg
Our cart the CKGL's husband ,son and some Riff Raff wanting to be near our cart
During my nephews wedding last Oct my Aunt and Uncle reminded me of how many years I had dinner with them on Christmas eve and how tube steaks were on the menu so thats what we had. As the weather was still not so good we stayed in the rest of the night.

Christmas Day arrived and instead of their normal ride to the dog park we all took a nice walk around the loop saying hello to assorted friends and their pups. Handing out candy canes and treats to all the Good Boys and Girls. Then it was time for breakfast. While I went outside and did up the SCRAPPLE and Bacon Lucille did the Pancakes. After a nice Breakfast it was time to go see friends in other loops and wish everyone a Merry Christmas. we brought the girls so another trip to the dog park was in order. Walter was there so Katie was in her glory barely letting him eat his cookie.
When we got back I broke out the secret Gift I had gotten Lucille.
Resized_20191226_092430_154211708699187.jpg
As I didn't have time to build a stand for it we did the next best thing. Used a piece of rope to secure and center to the grill. Originally our plan was to take a boat over to the Contemporary then do a Monorail tour of the Poly and Grand Floridian for their Christmas Decorations. That after time we spent with friends in the Fort meant that wasn't about to happen. New plan . Hang out at the coach till it was time to head over to Whispering Canyon Cafe for our Dinner ADR. This was a variant of their standard Platter meals that included Turkey and Ham along with the standard fare ie Mashed potatoes, stuffing and some other things I can't remember. What I do remember it was all very good. So good in fact Lucille has told me we are going back again this year. As we were finishing our meal Kasey's people came in for theirs. Bill and Nancy are truely nice people. We look Forward to seeing them when we arrive. Happily the antics were not suspended for the day and with just a little coaxing we convinced their waiter that Bill was a bad man who mistreated his lovely bride forcing her eat only what he didn't like and would refuse to share his desert with her. He ended up in WCC JAIL. Nancy found it hysterical Bill not so much. Back at the coach after taking care of the girls we decided to do some more looping and even took them down near the Marina to see the Electric Water Parade. They didn't seem to care other than they did not like the Sea Serpent and Crocodile so we didn't stay for the whole show

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter