The ultimate split-stay thread

We booked a split stay for January 6 - 13th... When we made the Room-only reservations, we were told they were linked and that we'd be able to book our ADRs 180+10 out. However, that was not true. I'm posting this as a warning for the rest of you... When I logged on to do our ADRs earlier this week, 180 days out from January 6th, I was only able to book for Jan. 6, 7, 8 & 9. I was not able to book for Jan. 10-13. I called and spoke to a CM. She said this is caused by the software and I would have to sign in again at 6 a.m. on Thursday morning to schedule the remainder of my trip. Had we known this in advance, I don't think we would have done a split stay. It's a hassle, and it lessens our chances of getting hard-to-get reservations at places like BOG. /sigh

We booked a split stay for January 6 - 13th... When we made the Room-only reservations, we were told they were linked and that we'd be able to book our ADRs 180+10 out. However, that was not true. I'm posting this as a warning for the rest of you... When I logged on to do our ADRs earlier this week, 180 days out from January 6th, I was only able to book for Jan. 6, 7, 8 & 9. I was not able to book for Jan. 10-13. I called and spoke to a CM. She said this is caused by the software and I would have to sign in again at 6 a.m. on Thursday morning to schedule the remainder of my trip. Had we known this in advance, I don't think we would have done a split stay. It's a hassle, and it lessens our chances of getting hard-to-get reservations at places like BOG. /sigh
Looks like changed in 2015 and is mentioned in the third post in this thread.

Love this thread. I was considering a split stay for a trip this November, and ended up having to do it because of availability at the two resorts we wanted (BWV and Polynesian). I'm really looking forward to it ! We usually stay off property, because we usually travel with a huge group and it's fun to just rent a few big houses and have our own retreat each day. This time, though, it's just the 4 of us for our first Christmas Time trip, and the kids are going to be thrilled when we surprise them the day of and they find out were staying at the Boardwalk - one of our favorite resorts to visit. Then they'll be even MORE thrilled when we surprise them again 5 days later and tell them we have to move to the Polynesian !

I had a lot of people on the forums counsel me against a Split Stay because of the "hassle" of relocating, but as someone who travels frequently for work, I find it no big deal to pack and move. I just need to research this thread and see if we'll need to transport our luggage to the new resort, or if Disney does it. Won't be a problem, as we will have our own car.

see if we'll need to transport our luggage to the new resort, or if Disney does it. Won't be a problem, as we will have our own car.
Disney will do it, but if you have your own car it is way way easier to just do it yourself so you have your stuff when you need it.
We did this in 2015- I had cold stuff that needed to be held so we packed up drove to BC to check in and let bell services have my cold items until room ready. We got lucky and room was ready.
So the answer is- Disney can do some, part or none at all:P

ETA-the fun part of split stays is feeling like you get "another" vacation with the new resort!​

ETA-the fun part of split stays is feeling like you get "another" vacation with the new resort!

Absolutely ! The kids (17,11) have spent a ton of time at Disney, but this is their first time staying in a Disney resort ... they'll love getting to check out 2 of them.

Yeah - probably easier to transfer luggage myself. We are going the DHS on our last day at Boardwalk. I may just stuff the bags in the car before we leave, then drive to DHS. Figure we'll leave there by 2 or 3 and make the trek to Polynesian. Got an 8pm Ohana reservation on that "transfer" night, and doing early California Grill the next night so the kids can hang at the pool before our last day (they won't care if it's "Florida" cold in early December ... they'll be in that pool).

How do I convince my boyfriend to do a split-stay?

The next time we go (in about 4/5 years for the 50th Celebration of MK), we will be adding on 4-5 Days at the Waldorf (my bf works for hilton and heʻll get a small team member discount), but he only wants to stay at one Disney Resort... I want to stay at three, so I said What about a split stay... he didnʻt like the deal at all... I know either way we will be renting DVC points but I would love to stay at AKL, GF & POLY. When the time comes should I just book/rent the points? And tell him later or just stay at one... What would you do?

The next time we go (in about 4/5 years for the 50th Celebration of MK), we will be adding on 4-5 Days at the Waldorf (my bf works for hilton and heʻll get a small team member discount), but he only wants to stay at one Disney Resort... I want to stay at three, so I said What about a split stay... he didnʻt like the deal at all... I know either way we will be renting DVC points but I would love to stay at AKL, GF & POLY. When the time comes should I just book/rent the points? And tell him later or just stay at one... What would you do?

We enjoy split stays, but they are not for everyone. I don't think it would be a very good "surprise" if he's already told you he doesn't want to.

Wait... he said he didn't like the idea but you'd book it anyway? :scratchin

Please don't.

Wait... he said he didn't like the idea but you'd book it anyway? :scratchin

Please don't.

We talked about it! He just basically said it will be alright as long as it is not night after night so I am hopeful :)
and the time might come where we do no do a split stay anyway! We are excited for Disney anyway!

Does the luggage get transferred to the 2nd hotel in roughly the order that it is left at the first hotel?

I'm wondering if we being bring it to the bellman at 6:30 am, is it still a few hours or would it more likely still not get to the second hotel until late afternoom?

How much do you too for this?

Does the luggage get transferred to the 2nd hotel in roughly the order that it is left at the first hotel?

Nope. They wait until after 11AM, official checkout time, sort the bags and make all the deliveries at once.

I'm wondering if we being bring it to the bellman at 6:30 am, is it still a few hours or would it more likely still not get to the second hotel until late afternoom?

No matter when you drop it off, don't expect it until 3-5PM.

How much do you too for this?

$2 per bag on each side.

We are doing a split stay once again. 3 nights at CSR and 11 nights at AKL. 8 days left!!!!! :yay: I think this trip we are going to uber over to AKL with our luggage so we can go enjoy the parks and not worry about being in the room when they deliver it.

For those of you who have has Disney move cold stuff... how does that work?

We have a split between POFQ and AoA and we'll have a cooler from the drive down. Planning to grab wine/drinks and some milk/sandwich stuff on our way in. Spending our swap day totally in the park so it doesn't seem like a good idea to take our own stuff and have it sit in the car all day.

I was thinking of packing the cooler up with the cold stuff and having the other groceries in a plastic shopping type bag. Plus a few suitcases. If I brought all that down to the desk would they know what to do with it or do you mark them or tell someone specially?

For those of you who have has Disney move cold stuff... how does that work?

We have a split between POFQ and AoA and we'll have a cooler from the drive down. Planning to grab wine/drinks and some milk/sandwich stuff on our way in. Spending our swap day totally in the park so it doesn't seem like a good idea to take our own stuff and have it sit in the car all day.

I was thinking of packing the cooler up with the cold stuff and having the other groceries in a plastic shopping type bag. Plus a few suitcases. If I brought all that down to the desk would they know what to do with it or do you mark them or tell someone specially?

We always have whatever we need kept cold packed separately. Tell Bell Services what you need kept cold and they will. They deal with this every day, anyone at Bell Services will know what to do. :thumbsup2

Trying a second split stay starting April 28, 2018 OKW for 5 nights, then onto Beach Club for another 5!

We always have whatever we need kept cold packed separately. Tell Bell Services what you need kept cold and they will. They deal with this every day, anyone at Bell Services will know what to do. :thumbsup2
OK-to build on this-would you leave it in cooler or pack in separate grocery bag? I am debating on using a "real" cooler vs the large soft sided insulated grocery bags. We won't have much in them on drive down, but will be nice once we get to resort and load up.

OK-to build on this-would you leave it in cooler or pack in separate grocery bag? I am debating on using a "real" cooler vs the large soft sided insulated grocery bags. We won't have much in them on drive down, but will be nice once we get to resort and load up.

We've done both and both worked great. When we fly we use a soft sided grocery bags and when we drive we use a cooler.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!