The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

Hey! sorry not used to DVC in California, seems like availability is pretty low. Do I have any chance of booking a mid week stay 2-3 nights in a studio this September/October (would be trying to rent points) at this point or have I totally missed the boat?

Hey! sorry not used to DVC in California, seems like availability is pretty low. Do I have any chance of booking a mid week stay 2-3 nights in a studio this September/October (would be trying to rent points) at this point or have I totally missed the boat?
Sept would be gone. I haven't looked, but you might be able to get late Oct if you move ASAP.

Hey there everyone! I tried searching through this thread, but after an hour of looking I figured I'd just ask.
So my husband and I will be renting DVC points for the first time and are booked for early October for our Anniversary. I'd love to have a view of Redwood Creek, and know that there are only a handful of studios with a view. Is it possible at all to request or suggest particular villas? And since we're only renting points, would that effect it at all?

Hey there everyone! I tried searching through this thread, but after an hour of looking I figured I'd just ask.
So my husband and I will be renting DVC points for the first time and are booked for early October for our Anniversary. I'd love to have a view of Redwood Creek, and know that there are only a handful of studios with a view. Is it possible at all to request or suggest particular villas? And since we're only renting points, would that effect it at all?
The owner has to make the request for you in advance. Most have the best chance by listing specific room numbers. See this link: https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...vers-group-2-0.2592085/page-175#post-58099633

As mentioned, the owners will need to put in the request, but you can most definitely list rooms in order of preference. Here’s a link to help although some of the pictures no longer show:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/villas-at-disneys-grand-californian-room-views.2906031/

The owner has to make the request for you in advance. Most have the best chance by listing specific room numbers. See this link: https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...vers-group-2-0.2592085/page-175#post-58099633

As mentioned, the owners will need to put in the request, but you can most definitely list rooms in order of preference. Here’s a link to help although some of the pictures no longer show:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/villas-at-disneys-grand-californian-room-views.2906031/
Thank you both! I'll make sure to email the gentleman we rented our points from. :)

We just had our first visit this month in a 1-bedroom and fell in love! We'd like to go again in August 2019, this time in a 2-bedroom with friends.

We are not owners so would have to book at 7 months out. I'm thinking a dedicated would be easier to get than a lock off due to the small amount of studios? Thoughts?

We just had our first visit this month in a 1-bedroom and fell in love! We'd like to go again in August 2019, this time in a 2-bedroom with friends.

We are not owners so would have to book at 7 months out. I'm thinking a dedicated would be easier to get than a lock off due to the small amount of studios? Thoughts?

Absolutely the dedicated 2BR vs the lock-off.

Does anyone have experience with self-parking at VGC? We have a 2-bedroom reserved and our rental car -- my brother is local and will be coming out one night to have dinner with us (not go in the park, just Downtown Disney). Can he use our 2nd parking spot, or does he officially need to be on the list of people staying in the room?

You have to show a room card to get into the self-parking. You could put him on your room reservation so that he could pick up a card, but it might be easier to meet him at the portico entrance to the Grand Californian, get in the car with him with your room card, and show that card to get into the parking. My recollection is that he doesn't need a card to get out, just to get in.

Does anyone have experience with self-parking at VGC? We have a 2-bedroom reserved and our rental car -- my brother is local and will be coming out one night to have dinner with us (not go in the park, just Downtown Disney). Can he use our 2nd parking spot, or does he officially need to be on the list of people staying in the room?
Your brother will need a room key to enter and exit the GCH self-parking lot. If you are not at your occupancy limit, just add him to your reservation.

If it’s not convenient to meet your brother when he arrives, he could drive to the front of GCH and get a key issued then self-park

All VGC rooms have balconies.

Repost of exterior room numbers:

Paradise Pier side:
exterior_pier.jpg

Redwood Creek side:
exterior_trail.jpg

Pool side:
exterior_pool.jpg

Very nice, thank you for this! Do you have the same layout, but with rooms that face downtown Disney? (Or do any of the villa's point to downtown Disney?)

We are planning a one night, two day getaway at VGC. We are not going into the parks. What fun things are there to do at the hotel? Thanks! Two adults, one toddler.

We are planning a one night, two day getaway at VGC. We are not going into the parks. What fun things are there to do at the hotel? Thanks! Two adults, one toddler.

There's the pool. If you want to rent a cabana they have treats and a nice place to spend the afternoon.

They have a tour of the hotel, which if they can, includes some of the really fancy suites. The hotel is really beautiful and interesting.

There's always Downtown Disney with its stores and restaurants too.

Hope this helps!

We've got a 2-bedroom booked for 5 nights. I've never thought about a room request. I think we'd like with closest proximity to the park entrance. Any suggestions what we should request? Can you see the fireworks from any of the rooms? Are the pool view villas loud?

We've got a 2-bedroom booked for 5 nights. I've never thought about a room request. I think we'd like with closest proximity to the park entrance. Any suggestions what we should request? Can you see the fireworks from any of the rooms? Are the pool view villas loud?

The DVC rooms are all in the same area so there's no real "closest" to the park entrances. You pretty much have to go back to the main lobby and either enter DCA through the entrance next to the Napa Rose, or exit the hotel and go to the Esplanade to get to Disneyland.

I've been looking for a map of the DVC rooms and for some reason can't find it, but you'll have three view choices based on the requested room. There are no "view categories" in your reservation. You'll either face the swimming pool, Redwood Creek Challenge Trail or Paradise Pier, both in DCA. The rooms are fairly well insulated so we haven't ever noticed the noise in any of those locations.

If you want to see World of Color from your room you need to be on the side of the hotel that faces Paradise Pier and on a high floor. The only problem with that will be that you're to the side of the optimal viewing point and may not get the best view. There's a balcony on the sixth floor available to DVC guests, but it is even further to the side and you can't really see any of the projects. There are trees between VGC and DCA so you have to be on a floor above the trees.

If you're on the side of DVC that faces the pools you may be able to see some of the higher fireworks at Disneyland; however, you'll have to be on the highest floors.

When we go to VGC we tend to ask for ground floor rooms. When you're returning to your room, either for a mid-day nap or at the end of the evening, you're tired and don't want to stand around waiting for the elevator. I just want to go to my room. Further, the ground floor rooms have a patio which is larger than the balconies of the rooms on the upper floors. Clearly, each person has their own wants.

Hope you have a good time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter