The "Why do my cats do that?" Thread

PollyannaMom

I was a click-clack champ!!
Inspired by the cats and Christmas trees thread, and my own two crazy little furballs, here is the place to discuss kitty quirks.

I'll start:

I recently started running a cool mist humidifier in DS's room. Both cats try to drink out of the base/tank when I separate the parts to empty it in the morning. It just uses regular water. - Why is it more fun than their regular water dishes?

Inspired by the cats and Christmas trees thread, and my own two crazy little furballs, here is the place to discuss kitty quirks.

I'll start:

I recently started running a cool mist humidifier in DS's room. Both cats try to drink out of the base/tank when I separate the parts to empty it in the morning. It just uses regular water. - Why is it more fun than their regular water dishes?

Our cat has always liked drinking out of the running faucet in the bathroom. When he was younger he'd jump up on the bathroom counter and meow loudly until someone turned the water on (after a few years we learned just to keep it dripping for him). Now that he's 14, and his jumping skills have declined a little, he sits on the floor and meows until one of us picks him up so he can drink. Meanwhile his water bowls are pretty much untouched.

One of our cats enjoys sitting on the tab wall while I shower. He occasionally bats at the water as it runs over the shower curtain. Some days he'll hop into the tub with me just after I've turned off the water. He'll then proceed to either lap up the draining water or roll in it. Silly kitty.

Our other cat likes to chase our 2yo male German Shepard. He spots her coming and runs. She doesn't tolerate his playfulness. lol. Both cats like to frustrate him even more by sauntering over to his bed and lying on it knowing that he'll turn away and lie elsewhere out of defeat.

Why does my cat just sit there while I play with her toys but as soon as I get on the computer she drives me nuts until I play?

I was actually going to start a thread about this next one to see if other cats do it too but I'll ask here since clearly people with cats will be reading...
Does anyone else's cat have a stuffed toy that they love up when no one can pay attention to them at the time?
My cat has "beary". its a small very soft and snuggly pink bear. The only place the fur is matted is its neck where she licks it and carries it by.
Say I'm not home or even I'm just watching a TV show and she knows I'm not going to pay attention to her for an hour she will give out this specific "mommy I'm lonely meow' and a little while later her beary will be in a completely different place.
It could have been upstairs on my bed and now its downstairs in the front hall etc.
Anyone else's cat do this?

Great thread!

My current cat is...quirky. She must go to the bathroom with you, if it's bathing, teeth brushing, etc., she wants to be involved. One day she's going to fall in the bath, I'm certain. Also, she is talkative! Like holy bejesus, shut up cat, chatty. It's adorable though because she effectively talks back to you. Also, if she hears cats on tv or on laptop, she will look and look for those cats. Ugh, I love her so much!

Last edited:
One of our cats just like to hear his voice. He will lay in the floor 4 feet from you and meow. Over and over. He doesn't want anything.

He also has to meow in the middle of the night almost like he's asking permission to get on the bed. I wish he would just get on the bed and lay down but noooooo he has to wake me up to ask.

This is fun! I have a few. We have 2 cats at home. Most of my stupid cat tricks tales are thanks to our 7 mo old cat, Nemo. He's an orange male tabby.
  • Whenever he hears somebody using the toilet, he comes RUNNING! Meows and won't leave you alone. When you flush the toilet, he's fascinated. We're all now in the habit of lowering the toilet lid as soon as we're done.
  • He also likes drinking out of the toilet bowl. But it involves him dipping a paw in the water and then licking it off. Super gross.
  • The other cat also likes drinking from the Waters of Life a la toilet bowl.
  • Nemo enjoys watching TV with us. 2 evenings ago, he seemed to really like the Hobbit. :rotfl2:
  • Chases his own tail sometimes. Maybe he's part dog.
  • Brings out his favorite mouse toy and places it in the food bowl for safe keeping.
  • Whenever we come home, Nemo is sitting by the door to the garage waiting for us.
  • Will sneak food if you leave it out on the kitchen table. Seriously. He'll jump up on the table and eat your leftovers.
  • The other cat really likes chocolate milk so you have to pay attention and guard your food & drink! Of course, we don't let her have it because I don't want to have to clean up cat barf in the hallway.:eek:
  • Nemo has been known to sing the song of his people at odd hours when he's apparently forgotten that there are 5 other mammals (4 of us humans + 1 other cat) in the house with him. If you call out, "Nemo!" he comes running over and shuts up.
  • Nemo plays catch. Pick up & shake a rattly mousey toy, throw it, and he will run and get it and bring it back to you.

My one cat also loves to drink out of the bathroom sink. It doesn't matter if I put fresh water in a dish up there for her, or buy one of those plug in fountains and put it up there :rolleyes1 she still insists on drinking out of the faucet.
She also will not eat beyond the first layer of food in her dish. I have to "refresh the top layer" for her. If I only put a little food in her dish to cover the bottom she won't eat it. It has to be almost up to the top of the dish at all times.
My two newest love to get in the tub after someone showers. Other than that so far they are just crazy playful and jumping up on everything they shouldn't be.

Why does my cat just sit there while I play with her toys but as soon as I get on the computer she drives me nuts until I play?

I was actually going to start a thread about this next one to see if other cats do it too but I'll ask here since clearly people with cats will be reading...
Does anyone else's cat have a stuffed toy that they love up when no one can pay attention to them at the time?
My cat has "beary". its a small very soft and snuggly pink bear. The only place the fur is matted is its neck where she licks it and carries it by.
Say I'm not home or even I'm just watching a TV show and she knows I'm not going to pay attention to her for an hour she will give out this specific "mommy I'm lonely meow' and a little while later her beary will be in a completely different place.
It could have been upstairs on my bed and now its downstairs in the front hall etc.
Anyone else's cat do this?
One of our former cats had a stuffed lion. He tried to have "relations" with the lion, but still liked to carry him around.

Our current cats found a Winnie the Pooh Candyland game in the basement. Every couple of days, they'd bring a new piece upstairs into the living room.

One of our former cats had a stuffed lion. He tried to have "relations" with the lion, but still liked to carry him around.

Our current cats found a Winnie the Pooh Candyland game in the basement. Every couple of days, they'd bring a new piece upstairs into the living room.

LOL, I had a cat that had a stuffed elephant he tried to have relations with. He carried it around everywhere too

I lost my cat on Halloween, but he used to meow this weird sounding meow after I coughed or sneezed. Only when I cough or sneeze... nobody else. I still wait for that everytime I cough or sneeze...Miss him. he would also lick my legs after I got out of the shower- weirdo. I couldn't dry off and get dressed fast enough!

Both of my cats like to drink the hot water in the tub, as they walk along the edge. The other night, as I was sitting up in tub, I heard a crash and then felt a slice pain all the way down my back....our male cat jumped onto the edge but slipped and used my back to try to stop the fall. :scared1: Wow, did that hurt. DH came running when I screamed. So much for having a relaxing bath.

Does anyone else have a cat that doesn't know how to bury and will scratch on every surface possible to "bury" but not touch the litter? She gets in the box and does her business but then scratches the sides and top of litterbox, then moves onto scratching the wall, carpet and furniture. All this noise is cue for our male cat to saunter into the room with an annoyed look on his face and bury for her....he has been getting a little lax in this area lately but I think he waits until he needs the box and then buries for her before he uses it.

One of our previous cats had a knitted mouse that she liked to carry around and make a howling meow as she roamed the house with it. She usually liked to do this in the wee morning hours.

Our 2 year old has a thing for empty sewing bobbins. They are the best cat toy EVER. Just like hockey pucks. He loves to bat them about. But mostly he plays fetch. Like a dog. Any time I sit down to cut something out on my cutting board, he finds a bobbin and drops it in the middle of what I'm doing. I throw it, he brings it back. Over. And over. And over. I reached under a piece of furniture in the dining room and found 7 bobbins under there. Poor cat needs longer arms.

ETA: Just ordered him a bag of 50 sewing bobbins from China. I hope they get here in time for Christmas! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!