The "Why do my cats do that?" Thread

Whenever he hears somebody using the toilet, he comes RUNNING! Meows and won't leave you alone. When you flush the toilet, he's fascinated. We're all now in the habit of lowering the toilet lid as soon as we're done.

My female cat (3) is like this -- completely fascinated with the toilet. She'd probably be one of those cats who could be toilet trained.

She also to be "spanked". Just tapped kind of hard above her tail.

She also had a cat bed that she used knead (we call it "makin' biscuits") in, but only does it now on this fleece throw in the living room. She suckles and kneads it, and it's almost kind of disturbing how much she goes to town on it.

Our 2 1/2 year old male cat will stand at the top of the stairs, peer through the banister, and bump fists with DH on command (only DH, though).

My cat likes to walk on my head at night. Only mine apparently. I like to sleep with the door closed and obviously can't sleep with a cat tap dancing on my head so I lock her out. She's learned our bedtime routine so rushes and hides under the bed when she knows it's bedtime. I'd be fine with her in the room if she would just sleep like a normal cat but she doesn't. She refuses to come out from under the bed until we're all settled in and then she comes out....to walk on my head. Sigh....

Does anyone else have a cat that doesn't know how to bury and will scratch on every surface possible to "bury" but not touch the litter? She gets in the box and does her business but then scratches the sides and top of litterbox, then moves onto scratching the wall, carpet and furniture. All this noise is cue for our male cat to saunter into the room with an annoyed look on his face and bury for her....he has been getting a little lax in this area lately but I think he waits until he needs the box and then buries for her before he uses it.

Ted will scratch at the sides sometimes and not get it buried. Also sometimes he will get hold of one of the plastic sacks I keep nearby and put that on the litter to cover, or drag the scoop into the box. But he's very conscientious about covering puke. His own, or Miss Kitty's. He will push any toys or whatever is nearby into it to "help" :)

Does anyone else have a cat that doesn't know how to bury and will scratch on every surface possible to "bury" but not touch the litter? She gets in the box and does her business but then scratches the sides and top of litterbox, then moves onto scratching the wall, carpet and furniture. All this noise is cue for our male cat to saunter into the room with an annoyed look on his face and bury for her....he has been getting a little lax in this area lately but I think he waits until he needs the box and then buries for her before he uses it.

YES!!! I don't think in 16 years that my cat has ever actually buried her poo. She paws like crazy after she goes, but never actually covers it.

Mine too. Many times I go cover it up for them. :cool: If aliens came to this planet they would be hard pressed to figure out who the supreme beings were-- humans or pets. We cover their poo (or pick it up if you have a dog) and we are their beck and call. And if you have one of them lying on your lap or next to you it mean to have to just sit there since they can't be disturbed.

In a creepier vein, my youngest has a cat that likes to watch me shower. Only me. My daughter has a cloth shower curtain and a clear plastic liner inside of that. When I shower, the cat sits in between the two curtains staring at me. I am just glad that he doesn't own a camera.

That's what our male cat does. Only to me. Rarely does anyone else receive his company. Both will join me when I'm using the toilet.

This is fun! I have a few. We have 2 cats at home. Most of my stupid cat tricks tales are thanks to our 7 mo old cat, Nemo. He's an orange male tabby.
  • Whenever he hears somebody using the toilet, he comes RUNNING! Meows and won't leave you alone. When you flush the toilet, he's fascinated. We're all now in the habit of lowering the toilet lid as soon as we're done.
  • He also likes drinking out of the toilet bowl. But it involves him dipping a paw in the water and then licking it off. Super gross.
  • The other cat also likes drinking from the Waters of Life a la toilet bowl.
  • Nemo enjoys watching TV with us. 2 evenings ago, he seemed to really like the Hobbit. :rotfl2:
  • Chases his own tail sometimes. Maybe he's part dog.
  • Brings out his favorite mouse toy and places it in the food bowl for safe keeping.
  • Whenever we come home, Nemo is sitting by the door to the garage waiting for us.
  • Will sneak food if you leave it out on the kitchen table. Seriously. He'll jump up on the table and eat your leftovers.
  • The other cat really likes chocolate milk so you have to pay attention and guard your food & drink! Of course, we don't let her have it because I don't want to have to clean up cat barf in the hallway.:eek:
  • Nemo has been known to sing the song of his people at odd hours when he's apparently forgotten that there are 5 other mammals (4 of us humans + 1 other cat) in the house with him. If you call out, "Nemo!" he comes running over and shuts up.
  • Nemo plays catch. Pick up & shake a rattly mousey toy, throw it, and he will run and get it and bring it back to you.
So funny! Btw I think the mouse in the bowl is for you b/c you can’t hunt. That’s what I’ve read that when they put things they’ve hunted in their bowl. I used to have an outside cat that would kill mice & leave them in his bowl. Yuck!

I had a cat who would fetch, but only the pre-made gift wrap bows. They were his favorite toy. I think he liked the way the foil sounded. That cat would also drink my ex's watered down scotch, like he was having a glass in the media room and it's mostly finished and watery. He never tried to drink my wine, I guess he knew he'd get in trouble. Don't mess with the wine!

I lost my cat on Halloween, but he used to meow this weird sounding meow after I coughed or sneezed. Only when I cough or sneeze... nobody else. I still wait for that everytime I cough or sneeze...Miss him. he would also lick my legs after I got out of the shower- weirdo. I couldn't dry off and get dressed fast enough!
Omg! My cat does that now with the sneeze. It’s only me. But it’s this quick little meow. We joke that he is saying bless you. So now when he does it, I say thank you. Sorry about your loss :(

My cat will lay on anything new you leave in the middle of the floor. One time, when I had 2 cats, they were fighting about who was gonna get to lay inside the circle that the curled up vaccum cord had made.
Ours will fight over who gets to sit on a folded up towel. It started once when I cleaned up a spot and left a folded bath towel on the spot when I was done. Now it's a running joke. Just fold up a towel and lay it on the floor. One of the cats will always have to sit on it.

Ours will fight over who gets to sit on a folded up towel. It started once when I cleaned up a spot and left a folded bath towel on the spot when I was done. Now it's a running joke. Just fold up a towel and lay it on the floor. One of the cats will always have to sit on it.
Lol! So true! It doesn’t matter what I put down. I only have 1 cat now, but he will sit on anything I put on the floor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter