The year of living Disney TR - Winter edition! Update! 11/27/17 mini November trip report

Hi everyone! Were back!
It was a really good trip, and an interesting one as well. As I mentioned before we left we changed our flight to leave Friday night instead of Saturday afternoon and boy, are we glad we did. Parts of the area near where we live got anywhere from 12-24 inches of snow last Saturday. :sad2:

So we flew into LAX instead of Orange County airport where we originally had planned, and got a hotel nearby just for the night. We slept in a bit that next morning since we didn't get to the hotel until close to midnight. After waking up we walked to a nearby Starbucks and then got our things together and had our first experience with a Lyft driver. Yes, we were Lyft and Uber virgins before this trip. :D He was awesome! He drove us to our next hotel, which was near Orange County airport, it took about an hour to get there...#LAtraffic... and we had a nice relaxing day hanging out at the pool and Bob taught Kiya and I how to play chess. Can you believe I had never played chess before??
IMG_2194.JPG
These big chessboards are cool!

The next morning we took another Lyft to the Disneyland Hotel and checked in early so that we could take advantage of the Club Level Lounge for breakfast

IMG_2219.JPG
They had Mickey watermelon! And Mickey waffles too!

The Club lounge was really nice to have for breakfasts and afternoon breaks, the CM's there were so nice, but it was definitely a splurge.

We love, love, love the Disneyland Hotel. The rooms are so nice and the headboards are awesome.IMG_2211.JPG
Yes, they light up!
IMG_2216.JPG
What do you think of the Mickey hand holding the light fixture? Cool or creepy?

The weather was perfect for the three days we were there but it was pretty crowded. We had dinner at Blue Bayou one night and although the food was pretty good we didn't think it was nearly as good as the Signature restaurants that DW has.

DH always thought that DLR was his favorite but he changed his mind on this trip and has decided DW is better :worship:.
We never did get to ride Hyperspace Mountain because every time we tried it was down. :sad:

IMG_2232.JPG
Tiny castle

I'm not sure if I mentioned it before we left but we made an appointment to visit the DVC people while in California just to see what it was all about and if it would be a good fit for us. And then this happened.

IMG_2248.JPG
We came home with a very expensive tote bag full of papers telling us we are now owners of .2% of unit 75 at the Polynesian Villas! :goodvibes

Yep, we made the plunge and are now in the DVC family! It made sense for us to go ahead and do it and honestly we are pretty jazzed. I never thought we would make that kind of decision so quickly but about 20 minutes into our visit Bob turned to me and said "we are totally doing this" :eek:

Sorry I don't have a whole lot of pictures to show you because I'm typing this on my phone as I sit at Kiya's school waiting for her to get out and it keeps telling me my pictures are too big.... but we had a great time and now can't wait to use our points in July for our First official DVC stay at AK Kidani Village!

Woah that's a lot of snow you got back home! Did you come home to a pile of snow?
But nice that you arrived early and got to relax.
I think I've only played chess about 3 times in my life. :)
I love those headboards at the DLH! But yeah those Mickey hands holding the lights...they don't look like Mickey hands to me, so a little creepy.

DH always thought that DLR was his favorite but he changed his mind on this trip and has decided DW is better :worship:.

Haha, he drank the kool aid like we all did.

The weather was perfect for the three days we were there but it was pretty crowded. We had dinner at Blue Bayou one night and although the food was pretty good we didn't think it was nearly as good as the Signature restaurants that DW has.

Yeah BB was nice but it wasn't my favorite. Carthay Circle was much better.

We never did get to ride Hyperspace Mountain because every time we tried it was down. :sad:

Noooooo!!!

I'm not sure if I mentioned it before we left but we made an appointment to visit the DVC people while in California just to see what it was all about and if it would be a good fit for us. And then this happened.

OMG!!!!

We came home with a very expensive tote bag full of papers telling us we are now owners of .2% of unit 75 at the Polynesian Villas! :goodvibes

Congratulations! So excited for you! And at the Poly!!! LOVE.

in July for our First official DVC stay at AK Kidani Village!

YAY!!!!

Haha, this sounds like our honeymoon! Though we had been tossing it back and forth for a long time before signing the paperwork. Best decision we ever made so far - I feel like we've probably gotten our worth out of it in the almost two years since we bought in, not even counting the future trips :D

Yep, we made the plunge and are now in the DVC family! It made sense for us to go ahead and do it and honestly we are pretty jazzed. I never thought we would make that kind of decision so quickly but about 20 minutes into our visit Bob turned to me and said "we are totally doing this" :eek:

Congratulations! I wonder if we are in the same building - I don't remember where our .2% is :P Poly is amazing - and we've had pretty good luck with other resort availability when we've looked as well. Enjoy your first DVC trip :D

Parts of the area near where we live got anywhere from 12-24 inches of snow last Saturday. :sad2:
It's been a long winter, at least up where I live. We haven't had significant snow since March, but we had a lot of it over the winter and the temperatures in April were near freezing (that's below normal) so the snow that was on the ground took a long time to melt. Since I rotate overseas for work, I usually leave around the end of April. This year was the first in 12 years that I was not able to rake and fertilize the lawn before I left because there was still snow on it.

After waking up we walked to a nearby Starbucks and then got our things together and had our first experience with a Lyft driver. Yes, we were Lyft and Uber virgins before this trip. :D He was awesome!
I have never used either of those. Good to hear it was positive for you. DW is going to be in Orlando in July for DD's dance school trip. She wants to take half a day to go to the outlet mall, but is nervous about using Uber to get there.

They had Mickey watermelon! And Mickey waffles too!
It just tastes better when it's Mickey shaped!

I might not have noticed if you didn't point it out, but I think it's creepy. Like poor Mickey is trapped inside the wall.

Wow, very exciting! Congrats.

Woah that's a lot of snow you got back home! Did you come home to a pile of snow

Not at all! In typical Colorado style it was completely gone the next day.

those Mickey hands holding the lights...they don't look like Mickey hands to me, so a little creepy.

I'm thinking my vote goes for kinda creepy too

Haha, he drank the kool aid like we all did.

Yep, a big 'ol jug of it! :teeth:

Yeah BB was nice but it wasn't my favorite. Carthay Circle was much better.

I tried to get a Carthay Circle res. But could never get one.

Noooooo!!!

I know, kinda bummed about that

Congratulations! So excited for you! And at the Poly!!! LOVE.

Thanks!! :goodvibes

Haha, this sounds like our honeymoon! Though we had been tossing it back and forth for a long time before signing the paperwork. Best decision we ever made so far - I feel like we've probably gotten our worth out of it in the almost two years since we bought in, not even counting the future trips :D

Funny, I thought we would just go in and listen and hash it out for weeks crunching the numbers, but after comparing what we spent on hotel rooms and renting points this year and last year it made sense. Glad to hear you love it.

Congratulations! I wonder if we are in the same building - I don't remember where our .2% is :P Poly is amazing - and we've had pretty good luck with other resort availability when we've looked as well. Enjoy your first DVC trip

Thanks! That would be funny! I didn't know you owned at the Poly! For some reason I thought it was at BWV. We asked about owning at the new Copper Creek but our guide told us the taxes and fees there are a lot higher, plus I'm not sure they are selling there yet. So we didn't really get much choice on our home resort, but I'm happy.

Thanks! That would be funny! I didn't know you owned at the Poly! For some reason I thought it was at BWV. We asked about owning at the new Copper Creek but our guide told us the taxes and fees there are a lot higher, plus I'm not sure they are selling there yet. So we didn't really get much choice on our home resort, but I'm happy.

Yeah, we didn't have a whole lot of choice either (but we wanted Poly anyway). We did look at the Copper Creek pricing just out of curiosity, but it is higher - and the fees are a lot higher per year, which isn't ideal. We have certainly stayed at Boardwalk enough that it feels like home :P But I love owning at Poly - mostly just because I can say that ;)

Congrats on the DVC!!!!! That is so exciting.

Glad to hear your DL trip went well and you got out before the snow. We're thinking of maybe going to DL next year and my one hesitation is the lack of signature dining, cause well we all know I'm all about the food :-) But we haven't been in 10 years and Casey has never been so feel like its long overdue!

We haven't had significant snow since March, but we had a lot of it over the winter

We didn't have much at all either until Spring came along, but that's kinda typical of CO

DW is going to be in Orlando in July for DD's dance school trip. She wants to take half a day to go to the outlet mall, but is nervous about using Uber to get there.

I was really nervous about it too, but it turned out to be a piece of cake.

It just tastes better when it's Mickey shaped!

It sure does!!

might not have noticed if you didn't point it out, but I think it's creepy. Like poor Mickey is trapped inside the wal

So far "creepy" is winning! You're right, it does look like he's trapped in the wall

Wow, very exciting! Congrats.

Thanks so much!

Congrats on the DVC!!!!! That is so exciting.

Thanks! I feel like such a grown up now.

We're thinking of maybe going to DL next year and my one hesitation is the lack of signature dining,

@chunkymonkey said Carthay Circle is pretty good, and we didn't try steakhouse 55 or Napa Rose, so there are a few choices there.

But we haven't been in 10 years and Casey has never been so feel like its long overdue!

I totally understand that. Disneyland has such a different feel than DW. Cool to be able to see both though, I think we finally feel like DW is home for us now.

We did look at the Copper Creek pricing just out of curiosity, but it is higher - and the fees are a lot higher per year, which isn't ideal. We have certainly stayed at Boardwalk enough that it feels like home

Isn't it funny how resorts so close to each other can differ in fees? I'm still searching for the resort that feels most like home, although the shower at the Poly is the absolute best! I have a stay booked at a Copper Creek booked for Nov. really excited to see the new villas there.

But I love owning at Poly - mostly just because I can say that ;)

:laughing: I know what you mean

Welcome to the DVC Club. LOVE the Poly...but also love Kidani as well. We own at SSR but rarely stay there as we just enjoy staying at all of the resorts. We even used our points to pay for a partial stay at the Disneyland Hotel one year...totally worth it. We loved the headboards also. Sorry that Blue Bayou disappointed you. I'm not sure if/when we'll ever get back to Disneyland ourselves but we certainly love WDW.

Hi everyone! Were back!

Welcome back! :)

Parts of the area near where we live got anywhere from 12-24 inches of snow last Saturday. :sad2:

No. Just.... yuck.

Yes, we were Lyft and Uber virgins before this trip.

I still am.

He drove us to our next hotel, which was near Orange County airport, it took about an hour to get there...#LAtraffic...

An hour? So why didn't you just walk if it was only half a mile away?
Oh... too many bags, right?

Bob taught Kiya and I how to play chess.

Love the big chessboards.

Can you believe I had never played chess before??

Really!
Actually... no, not that surprised. Not everyone has.

They had Mickey watermelon!

Never seen that before. Nice touch.

The Club lounge was really nice to have for breakfasts and afternoon breaks, the CM's there were so nice, but it was definitely a splurge.

But you're definitely worth it, aren't you?

The rooms are so nice and the headboards are awesome.

Cool!

I looked for a while and decided....

creepy.

We had dinner at Blue Bayou one night and although the food was pretty good we didn't think it was nearly as good as the Signature restaurants that DW has.

Oh? I would've thought it would be right up there.

Really! (I agree!)

Well... guess you'll just have to go back, then.

Tiny castle

Tiny print, too. :laughing:

No way! Congrats!!

I never thought we would make that kind of decision so quickly but about 20 minutes into our visit Bob turned to me and said "we are totally doing this" :eek:

Wow! That was fast! And congrats again!

A belated welcome home! Glad you enjoyed your trip; I want to go back to DL so bad (it's been 22 years) but DH doesn't want to fly for 6 hours with my youngest because he complains nonstop on our 2.5 hour flight to Florida :rolleyes: Someday.............

Yes, we were Lyft and Uber virgins before this trip. :D
:laughing: You lost yours before I lost mine!

They had Mickey watermelon!
That is too adorable.

Congratulations! Like many others we go back and forth on this but have yet to take the plunge.

AK Kidani Village!
:thumbsup2

Welcome to the DVC Club.

Thanks! :goodvibes

LOVE the Poly...but also love Kidani as well.

I'm really looking forward to trying out Kidani. It looks awesome

We even used our points to pay for a partial stay at the Disneyland Hotel one year...

Really?! I didn't know you could do that! Very cool

Sorry that Blue Bayou disappointed you. I'm not sure if/when we'll ever get back to Disneyland ourselves but we certainly love WDW.

Maybe not quite so much disappointing as just kinda blah. Food was decent but the service was very different than what we have experienced at DW. That was my second time there and had similar experiences both times.

Welcome back! :)

Thanks!! :hug:

No. Just.... yuck.

I know, right?

An hour? So why didn't you just walk if it was only half a mile away?

Something about walking along an LA freeway doesn't excite me too much :confused3

Never seen that before. Nice touch.

I thought so too!

But you're definitely worth it, aren't you?

Geez, um, well.....absolutely

I looked for a while and decided....

creepy.

Seems to be the general consensus.

Oh? I would've thought it would be right up there.

Me too, the prices sure are though.

Really! (I agree!)

Oh? I'm intrigued. But not surprised.

Well... guess you'll just have to go back, then.

I think it will be a while before we go back to DLR. I love California Adventure but DL didn't knock my socks off this time for some reason.

No way! Congrats!!

Way! Thanks!

I want to go back to DL so bad (it's been 22 years) but DH doesn't want to fly for 6 hours with my youngest

Wow that's a long flight to still be in the continental US!

You lost yours before I lost mine!

HA HA :rotfl: I'm such a tramp now

That is too adorable.

Cute, aren't they?

Congratulations! Like many others we go back and forth on this but have yet to take the plunge.

Thanks, it was kind of a surprise we choose to take the plunge so quickly, but decided to go ahead and do it while we were there.

All caught up with updates and chatter! :) YAY for DVC! Definitely not for me since I don't go enough to make it worth it, but so happy for those who take the plunge. Let me know if you ever need a body to fill a bed there.

Hi guys! Hope everyone is doing well. We are doing great, I've just been taking a bit of a DIS break lately. It started with my IPad being glitchy and it was frustrating me because I could never finish reading a thread or start replying without it constantly refreshing itself, so I just kinda got out of the habit of checking the boards for a while. :confused3

In real life news our Granddaughter was born May 15, and she is 6 weeks old already, boy how time flies!
IMG_2264.JPG
Isn't Bob a cute Grandpa?! Her name is Bobbi Ann and Bob is over the moon with her. ( I think she's pretty darn special too )

Life has been good, regular work and stuff, you all know how that goes.

In Disney news we are leaving TOMORROW!!! party: We are staying just three nights at Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village. It's our first time staying there and our first time using our DVC membership. We have an action packed 3 days planned ( flying home July 4). California Grill brunch on Sunday, our fav. Flying Fish Sunday night, Crystal Palace on Monday for breakfast and Artist Point Monday dinnner.

Kiya and I fly down Saturday morning and Bob will take a later flight and meet us there since he has to work half a day on Saturday. Kiya and I are going to try to hit all 4 parks before he gets there, with the help of the express bus, wish us luck! Then we will spend the day on Sunday at AK and Monday at MK and then head home after a late breakfast at Grand Floridian cafe.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy July 4th! I'll try to post some photos of our trip while we are there or shortly after we return.

Hugs to you all, I've missed being on the boards and keeping up with everyone's threads.
:grouphug:

First of all, :bday:!!!

Hi guys! Hope everyone is doing well. We are doing great, I've just been taking a bit of a DIS break lately. It started with my IPad being glitchy and it was frustrating me because I could never finish reading a thread or start replying without it constantly refreshing itself, so I just kinda got out of the habit of checking the boards for a while. :confused3

We've missed you Kelly!

In real life news our Granddaughter was born May 15, and she is 6 weeks old already, boy how time flies!
View attachment 247825
Isn't Bob a cute Grandpa?! Her name is Bobbi Ann and Bob is over the moon with her. ( I think she's pretty darn special too )

Aww, congratulations grandparents! She is beautiful, and I love her name!

In Disney news we are leaving TOMORROW!!! party: We are staying just three nights at Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village. It's our first time staying there and our first time using our DVC membership. We have an action packed 3 days planned ( flying home July 4). California Grill brunch on Sunday, our fav. Flying Fish Sunday night, Crystal Palace on Monday for breakfast and Artist Point Monday dinnner.

Wow sounds like so much fun! I really like it when we have a lot of activities and meals planned in a short trip. Makes me seem so productive! and YAY for using DVC points for the first time!

Kiya and I fly down Saturday morning and Bob will take a later flight and meet us there since he has to work half a day on Saturday. Kiya and I are going to try to hit all 4 parks before he gets there, with the help of the express bus, wish us luck! Then we will spend the day on Sunday at AK and Monday at MK and then head home after a late breakfast at Grand Floridian cafe.

Good luck! But you probably don't need it as it's totally easy to do that with the Express Bus.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy July 4th! I'll try to post some photos of our trip while we are there or shortly after we return.

Hugs to you all, I've missed being on the boards and keeping up with everyone's threads.
:grouphug:

Have a fantastic, amazing birthday trip!! :hug:
Are you gonna attempt to see the fireworks on July 3rd?
Hope to see all the pictures when you're back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter