Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho, It's off to run we go! A new and improved Teetz running Journal

Nice! I haven't been entirely motivated either since I am not really in training mode for wine and dine yet and have no races between that as of yet. Still not sure which races to do in January either.
I always struggle to find my motivation without a race on the horizon. I also want Marathon weekend registration to be done with. I think I prefer Goofy, but since my little sister wants to run Dopey, I'll be up early all 4 mornings anyways. And in that case, I may as well run Dopey.

I always struggle to find my motivation without a race on the horizon. I also want Marathon weekend registration to be done with. I think I prefer Goofy, but since my little sister wants to run Dopey, I'll be up early all 4 mornings anyways. And in that case, I may as well run Dopey.
Yeah I really enjoy Dopey even though the four mornings in a row isn’t the best. I’m still thinking about goofy just to save some costs and see what it’s like to just run the two big ones.

I do speedwork one day a week based on Hanson's plan currently. Today I did 6x800s with a 400 jog in between. I do not go to the track. I easily could as it would match what my warmup/cooldown distance should be, but honestly I don't want to be on a track. So, I use a stretch of road (sometimes for longer like 1-3 mile repeats it does include a hill which is probably bad, but it hasn't hurt me yet). Sure I have to get over/watch for the occasional car, but it works.

Having a race on the calendar helps with motivation, otherwise I don't seem to bother with the speed workouts. I have the virtual series to do too, haven't ran June yet, so that's fun motivation & will be part of a tempo run day somehow.

Will be nice to get registration done, I'm pretty set on Goofy. I'll do Dopey again, but I've enjoyed mixing up what I run just so it's a diff. experience. FOMO is real though.

I do my speedwork in the park with hills. Probably not the best idea, but it's what I have.
Right now I'm doing whatever coach tells me to do, but before that I did short bursts of faster paces (specifically, I did intervals of 30 seconds at a slow pace, 20 seconds at a medium pace, and 10 seconds of "fast as I possibly can" - I did 5 minutes of that, then took a 1-2 minute walk break, then repeat).
The key is also to space out your speedwork with easier running so that your body has time to recover between speed sessions.
(I should probably warn you, I have no idea what I'm talking about)

Yeah I really enjoy Dopey even though the four mornings in a row isn’t the best. I’m still thinking about goofy just to save some costs and see what it’s like to just run the two big ones.
There's an argument to be made for that. As much as I love the Star Wars race weekends and the challenge experience, I also really enjoyed a more sane race weekend and only running the half at Avengers last year. I didn't feel a time pressure to arrive in Anaheim, go immediately to the Expo, and head back to the hotel. Instead, I went to Expo, got what I wanted and spent the evening in Disneyland. While I missed out on the bifrost tunnel they created on the 10K course, but not for the half, I also enjoyed a less intense race weekend. There is something to be said for that.

I think the aspect of waking up early four mornings in a row is my biggest concern about doing Dopey in 2019. I know myself and I'm not going to be able to say no to fireworks unless I am absolutely exhausted. I'm a little concerned about burning the candle on both ends.

On the other hand, I mentioned doing the Dopey to a guy today who does marathons and he was a little blown away by that kind of distance over the course of four days, so maybe I should be focusing on that...

I think the aspect of waking up early four mornings in a row is my biggest concern about doing Dopey in 2019. I know myself and I'm not going to be able to say no to fireworks unless I am absolutely exhausted. I'm a little concerned about burning the candle on both ends.

On the other hand, I mentioned doing the Dopey to a guy today who does marathons and he was a little blown away by that kind of distance over the course of four days, so maybe I should be focusing on that...
Training for Dopey twice now (possibly three) I say you’ll be fine as long as you can run a marathon. I think the mornings are worse than the 48.6. I skipped out on fireworks during my running days for Dopey except for the night before the 5K. Any days after the full I would stay out of course.

I've always told myself that I'll have a more enjoyable race experience if I have a reasonable amount of sleep. So I go to bed early before race days. I've also learned that running a 10K the half is a tremendous way to almost guarantee a much better sleep before the half. I'm essentially tired enough to conquer nerves. I save fireworks for after the half.

On the subject of runDisney multi race events, I think we sometimes forget how different these races are. If you're someone who likes to stop for photos with characters or just in the parks, then that alters the feel of a race. All of the sudden it's not running 48.6 miles in 4 days, but a different running experience on each of those 4 days.

I'd heard mixed reviews on runDisney 5K races. They were either really fun or way too crowded to be worthwhile. I wound up loving my first 5K at Dark Side this year. I enjoyed the lack of time pressure since this wasn't timed. I loved seeing World Showcase early in the morning. I loved seeing the cast members around World Showcase wave their nations flags as they cheered for us. So even though I would again run through Epcot the next 2 days for the First Order Challenge, it was still different.

I've always told myself that I'll have a more enjoyable race experience if I have a reasonable amount of sleep. So I go to bed early before race days. I've also learned that running a 10K the half is a tremendous way to almost guarantee a much better sleep before the half. I'm essentially tired enough to conquer nerves. I save fireworks for after the half.

On the subject of runDisney multi race events, I think we sometimes forget how different these races are. If you're someone who likes to stop for photos with characters or just in the parks, then that alters the feel of a race. All of the sudden it's not running 48.6 miles in 4 days, but a different running experience on each of those 4 days.

I'd heard mixed reviews on runDisney 5K races. They were either really fun or way too crowded to be worthwhile. I wound up loving my first 5K at Dark Side this year. I enjoyed the lack of time pressure since this wasn't timed. I loved seeing World Showcase early in the morning. I loved seeing the cast members around World Showcase wave their nations flags as they cheered for us. So even though I would again run through Epcot the next 2 days for the First Order Challenge, it was still different.
A half before a full also helps with sleep. This year I took my first nap at Disney and was worried that I wouldn't be able to sleep at night after taking a nap. I was so wrong and felt well rested going into the full.

I agree about the four different experiences. Each race is different and unique in their own ways. I think that is why I would have serious FOMO if I didn't;t do Dopey.

I really enjoy the 5K, 10K, and Full. It is the half for me that has seemed to have fallen at least at WDW weekend.

I understand why a lot of people are not fans of the half course especially since it's the same course for Princess. But since I've never run through Magic Kingdom and since it will likely be decades before I ever run Princess if at all, I think the half course won't bug me too much.

Which race weekend has the Gospel Choir in Epcot? I think that sounds like an amazing experience.

I understand why a lot of people are not fans of the half course especially since it's the same course for Princess. But since I've never run through Magic Kingdom and since it will likely be decades before I ever run Princess if at all, I think the half course won't bug me too much.

Which race weekend has the Gospel Choir in Epcot? I think that sounds like an amazing experience.
Both WDW and Princess have the choir.

I love running through MK it’s absolutely great. We do with the full too. The part I dislike is after MK running miles 7-12 on WDW roads with not a lot to do/look at.

I love running through MK it’s absolutely great. We do with the full too. The part I dislike is after MK running miles 7-12 on WDW roads with not a lot to do/look at.

Come on! There’s...the water treatment facility! Yeah! And...that out and back spur! And! And! A...DJ, somewhere?

I’ll take the miles between MK and AK over ESPN WWoS anytime.

Come on! There’s...the water treatment facility! Yeah! And...that out and back spur! And! And! A...DJ, somewhere?

I’ll take the miles between MK and AK over ESPN WWoS anytime.
That’s during the full. I’m talking about the half. 7-12 during the half is all roads with very little.

I have only done the W&D Half and MAN, I hated it.
Any Disneyland Half >>>>>>> WDW Half
IMO.

Oh no, really?? I am doing W&D for the first time in November :eek:
I just checked the course map for last year and yeah... It was a lot of nothing and then AK and then a lot of nothing and then HS & Epcot. I guess I have never ran through MK now that I see this. Ha.

I just checked the course map for last year and yeah... It was a lot of nothing and then AK and then a lot of nothing and then HS & Epcot. I guess I have never ran through MK now that I see this. Ha.

Ohhhhh. It's probably similar to the end of the marathon then. Hooray. LOL. Too late to turn back now :confused3

I actually think the Wine and Dine half looks a lot better than the WDW Half. You at least get 3 parks compared to 2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter