There and back safe and sound

travelbug24

Searches for Hidden Mickey's in carbonated beverag
Trip date: September 20 – 25, 2001
Cast of characters: Me – Debbie (45) future WDW Fairy Godmother.
Dgs – Damien (5) future Tiger Woods

My other dgs who was suppose to come with us was not allowed to go because of the WTC attack. I told Damien to ask whomever he wanted. He chose a cousin on his father’s side, who I had never met before, James, age 10. James was a very good companion for Damey.

We stayed at the HRH where the rooms, I swear, were as big as my whole house (My house is 768 sq ft.) We had a beautiful view of the pool. I had only one complaint about the room. I did not have any hot water. A maintenance man was sent up within five minutes after I called. I had hot water within minutes. He was polite and did not leave until he was certain the water was also at a safe temperature. I called star service again to let them know what a great job he did. Obviously, they don’t get many phone calls for compliments because she was taken by surprise and asked if I would fill out a card at the concierge desk for that employee to be recognized which I did do before I left. The cleaning people were excellent and honest to a fault. I left a tip for them every day and they did not take it. The last day, I left a week's worth of tips with a note...housekeeping, please take.

Saturday night, a dive-in movie was shown (Willy Wonka). The kids were given inner tubes and a huge movie screen was set up in the sand. The kids thought that was so great. The kids also loved the water slide. They kept saying, this is a nice hotel.

US and IOA were empty. Security was heightened but not intrusive. With our stay at the HRH, we had FOTL access all day but our room keys were not needed, as most rides were walk on. We would go on a ride and when we asked if we could just stay right on and go again, we were allowed to do so. The kids liked the water rides the best. The characters were very playful chasing the kids all around. The drawback of low attendance was the park closed so early…6:00 and everything was closed up.

I have one complaint about the park and that being, it is not kept as clean as WDW. There was garbage strewn about which doesn't say much for the tourists either. What is it with people who can't throw their garbage away?

We ate at NBA City where our waiter was Luis. He was so cool and funny. I paid for our meal ($38) with a $100 bill and he says, “would you like change?” The boys had milkshakes and huge kid’s meals of chicken tenders & fries. I had an oriental chicken wrap. You wrap it yourself in lettuce with fried wonton, red pepper and shredded carrot. I could not eat it all the portions are so large.

We had one lunch at Mythos. I asked if Randy (SecondCook) was working and I sent a hello to my fellow dis’er via our waiter. The boys had grilled chicken sandwiches with fries and I had the wrap of the day. I don’t know what kind of dough they use for the wrap but I could make a meal of the wrap alone. Inside the wrap was ham, cheese, nutty things (possibly pine nuts) and spinach. It was so tasty. The vegetable was a vinaigrette green bean dish just as tasty. I have only one regret here, I had no room for the warm, gooey, banana cake with peanut butter ice cream.

Because James had never been to WDW, we decided to do the MK instead of SW. He loved it. My favorite thing to do at the MK is watching the magic through the eyes of a first timer. MK was empty too and security heightened but again not intrusive. The lines for the rides were nonexistent. We walked right on and right back on again. The characters were so much more attentive too with less people to deal with. We had a wonderful and delicious Pooh character lunch at the Crystal Palace. We rode Aladdin’s Carpet (our first time) and I loved the interactive play for the front AND back passengers. The front passenger makes it go up/down and the back passenger makes it seesaw. I laughed so hard when a camel spit water in Damey’s face. The look of surprise on his face was priceless. He had no idea those camels spit water. We witnessed the soft opening of the new parade that officially made its debut on October 1. It was beautiful. When the glass water globe float stopped; confetti swirled about just as if the water globe was shaken. I was asked by a CM at City Hall how I liked the parade. I told him, the soft opening of the parade (which I knew about from Deb Wil's website) was the only reason I chose to attend Thursday, Sept. 21. The one drawback with lack of attendance; the SpectroMagic Parade was cancelled that evening.

After five fun filled days, the kids did not want to go home and asked if we could stay longer. I told them their momma’s were missing them so we had to go home plus they had to return to school. Damien knows he’ll be back again; after all, he has the best grandma in the world!

I assume dg is dear grandkid? It sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Thank you so much for posting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter