Things about brokers that irritate you?

My biggest complaint are brokers telling resale buyers that they need to pay the current year's maintenance fees in full, no matter what month it is, and no matter whether there are current use year points or not.

This is probably my number one gripe with them as well.

Another gripe is being judged on my offers by the brokers. It's one thing to say, "I presented the offer, and the seller won't even counter", OR "I will present your offer, but we have had x amount of contracts not pass ROFR at y dollar amount or lower." It's another thing entirely to tell me, "That's way too low, and I won't even present it." So unprofessional when part of their job is to present offers.

This is probably my number one gripe with them as well.

Another gripe is being judged on my offers by the brokers. It's one thing to say, "I presented the offer, and the seller won't even counter", OR "I will present your offer, but we have had x amount of contracts not pass ROFR at y dollar amount or lower." It's another thing entirely to tell me, "That's way too low, and I won't even present it." So unprofessional when part of their job is to present offers.

I guess I'm so used to real estate agents sucking, that line doesn't even bother me anymore (I just assume their trying to negotiate). With that said, if they do say that to me, I remind them they are legally obligated to present the offer. If they balk at that point, then I just tell them that they can kiss my *** b/c they clearly don't follow their legal ethics and I won't do business with them or their company. Depending on their tone, I might even make a veiled threat to report their conduct to the appropriate regulatory board.

I guess I'm so used to real estate agents sucking, that line doesn't even bother me anymore (I just assume their trying to negotiate). With that said, if they do say that to me, I remind them they are legally obligated to present the offer. If they balk at that point, then I just tell them that they can kiss my *** b/c they clearly don't follow their legal ethics and I won't do business with them or their company. Depending on their tone, I might even make a veiled threat to report their conduct to the appropriate regulatory board.
I'm not in Florida so don't know their laws but most real estate laws regarding the requirement to present all offers will also be subject to the directions of the client. If a client says (here it would have to be written) to not bother them with any offers under $XXXX then that legal direction would have to be followed and would not put the agent in violation of any laws/ethical requirements.

So far I'm good with my agent, just hope our offer wasn't so low we lose the deal. She presented our offer with no hesitation, and got back to us quickly to say it was accepted. This is our first dealings with DVC resale, other than that we are just used to buying and selling our house. Hope the process is positive going forward!

So far I'm good with my agent, just hope our offer wasn't so low we lose the deal. She presented our offer with no hesitation, and got back to us quickly to say it was accepted. This is our first dealings with DVC resale, other than that we are just used to buying and selling our house. Hope the process is positive going forward!
I have to admit, I've also been lucky with the sellers' agents with whom I have worked. They were courteous and timely in their communications, but I never lost sight of the fact that, as a buyer, they are not my agent. They represent the sellers' interests. And to the extent that it helps move the deal along, so they can collect their commission, they will extend whatever courtesy is needed. In a seller's market, buyers are an abundant resource that have less value.

Cynical? Maybe. But it keeps me from being disappointed/surprised when they are less than amenable to offers that counter their best interests.

I have to admit, I've also been lucky with the sellers' agents with whom I have worked. They were courteous and timely in their communications, but I never lost sight of the fact that, as a buyer, they are not my agent. They represent the sellers' interests. And to the extent that it helps move the deal along, so they can collect their commission, they will extend whatever courtesy is needed. In a seller's market, buyers are an abundant resource that have less value.

Cynical? Maybe. But it keeps me from being disappointed/surprised when they are less than amenable to offers that counter their best interests.
makes total sense!

I'm not in Florida so don't know their laws but most real estate laws regarding the requirement to present all offers will also be subject to the directions of the client. If a client says (here it would have to be written) to not bother them with any offers under $XXXX then that legal direction would have to be followed and would not put the agent in violation of any laws/ethical requirements.
It is a law in FL, and all states I know of. They must have written instructions to the contrary or present all offers. If they refuse to do so this suggests either it's held in house or they are unethical, possibly both. I'd report them to the state.

It is a law in FL, and all states I know of. They must have written instructions to the contrary or present all offers. If they refuse to do so this suggests either it's held in house or they are unethical, possibly both. I'd report them to the state.
Exactly as I figured...so the fact that an agent might state that they will not present a low offer does not necessarily mean they are acting illegally/unethically. They may very well have written direction from the client. We don't do this for dollar amounts but we do it when holding offers off to a specific offer date to avoid bully offers.

Exactly as I figured...so the fact that an agent might state that they will not present a low offer does not necessarily mean they are acting illegally/unethically. They may very well have written direction from the client. We don't do this for dollar amounts but we do it when holding offers off to a specific offer date to avoid bully offers.
I suspect they almost never to never have written instructions to not present offers but this is the technical information as I understand it, unless it's a contract being sold by the firm itself. I suspect if they had instructions otherwise they'd say so rather than just refusing. So yes, it's likely they are being unethical, violating state law.

I suspect they almost never to never have written instructions to not present offers but this is the technical information as I understand it, unless it's a contract being sold by the firm itself. I suspect if they had instructions otherwise they'd say so rather than just refusing. So yes, it's likely they are being unethical, violating state law.
Without evidence to the contrary I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Maybe ask if they have written direction prior to jumping to conclusions.

Without evidence to the contrary I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Maybe ask if they have written direction prior to jumping to conclusions.
Your option, I think it dramatically unlikely they ever have written instructions in this manner and if they did, they'd say so. Thus I think it reasonable to assume otherwise. YMMV.

Technically, brokers in Florida are transaction brokers, which means that they represent neither the buyer nor the seller. Are they always successful? Probably not. But that's the law anyway.

When they tell you your offer is way too low and then refer to themselves as "good salespeople." As a salesperson myself that makes me laugh out loud.

:sad2:

Just how they'll often hide a mostly stripped contract by listing current year and two future years rather than past, current, and future use years like make it seem so wonderful that dec 2019 has full points coming in :)

Just how they'll often hide a mostly stripped contract by listing current year and two future years rather than past, current, and future use years like make it seem so wonderful that dec 2019 has full points coming in :)

Or the ones who don't list the points at all, and you get to play 20 questions to try and figure out the basics of the contract/account

It takes DVC's Admin dept a few weeks to get you in the system after you close on your purchase. If you close after a certain date in December there may not be enough time to update the ownership records in DVC's system before the dues bills are sent out in late December, potentially causing your bill to be sent to the seller instead of you. Having you pay next year's dues at closing avoids that problem.

We are suppose to close on Dec 10th and I was wondering about this . Thank you what you said makes a lot of sense I guess my question is now does that mean I will not have to pay dues till Jan 31st 2019?

We are suppose to close on Dec 10th and I was wondering about this . Thank you what you said makes a lot of sense I guess my question is now does that mean I will not have to pay dues till Jan 31st 2019?

If you are closing after 12/10/17 and you are paying the 2018 annual dues at closing you will be covered on annual dues until January of 2019. At that point Disney will mail you the bill and you will have the option to pay them monthly in 2019 or pay them in one lump sum.

I closed on a resale once, and received an e-mail from the same broker the next month, stating that they were looking for people wanting to sell the contract I had just purchased. Maybe wait a few months before putting me on your list. If you think I may have been looking to sell another contract when I bought yours, maybe you should build that into the questions asked during the first transaction. The secondary email after closing just makes you look predatory.

If you are closing after 12/10/17 and you are paying the 2018 annual dues at closing you will be covered on annual dues until January of 2019. At that point Disney will mail you the bill and you will have the option to pay them monthly in 2019 or pay them in one lump sum.

Thank you

Do you know if there is a way to set it up to pay monthly if you are closing after December 10? We were told we wouldn't owe fees and things are closing a lot slower than anticipated and now the broker called saying they need the 2018 fees paid before they will close now and we will have to send another check or pay all fees on master card. We were expecting to pay monthly and am kind of angry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!