Things to do in Gettysburg, PA with kids?

lilkimmyk

Mouseketeer
We will be joining DH for a couple of days in Gettysburg for a conference this weekend. I know it's last minute to ask and although we are just happy to be away for a minute in this never ending winter we are having, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for something fun for DS 7 and I to do during the day.

He is more interested in history than most kids his age (he loves to learn about everything!) but I don't want him to get too bored. I've done the battlefield tour years ago so that may be a possibility. Of course he is always happy in the hotel pool haha!

Bonus- they are also getting 3-6" of snow today during this recent snowstorm so I don't know how walk-able things will be.

If anyone has any recommendations for an activity or two we can do it would be greatly appreciated!

I live nearby, but have only gone to visit Gettysburg College with my kids on college tours.

Honestly, I'd go on tripadvisor and see what there is to do.

We just got the largest snowstorm today here that we've gotten in two years, since the blizzard of 2016. It is a mess! Going to be cold all weekend.

I live nearby, but have only gone to visit Gettysburg College with my kids on college tours.

Honestly, I'd go on tripadvisor and see what there is to do.

We just got the largest snowstorm today here that we've gotten in two years, since the blizzard of 2016. It is a mess! Going to be cold all weekend.

I was checking around today and who knows if we will be able to find anything too exciting to do, especially with the storm lol. I saw the outlets are close by and the hotel has a pool. So if all else fails it's shopping, a movie and lots of pool time. He definitely won't complain about pool time!

Sigh, at least it will be a break from home in this never ending winter! Thank you so much for your help! :)

I was checking around today and who knows if we will be able to find anything too exciting to do, especially with the storm lol. I saw the outlets are close by and the hotel has a pool. So if all else fails it's shopping, a movie and lots of pool time. He definitely won't complain about pool time!

Sigh, at least it will be a break from home in this never ending winter! Thank you so much for your help! :)
is the pool indoor? outdoor ones are not open yet.

I went to school there and never did a battlefield tour but my mom did a bus one I think? She liked it. There are ghost tours too but they’re prob all at night.
Check out the Dobbin House- maybe get lunch there. They have tours and a gift shop. It’s the most historic (1776?) house in Gburg...it’s very cool.
Walk around Lincoln Square. Get ice cream at Mr Gs.

My boys were 7 & 8 when we took them to Gettysburg several years ago. We did a battlefield bus tour that was pretty boring for them. They were much more interested when they were able to get off the bus and on to the battlefields. We also did an evening ghost tour. It was more of a ghost talk while we sat in an old attic. My kids got a kick out of it. We did this trip in August, so the outdoor pool was the biggest draw for my kids.

I went to school there and never did a battlefield tour but my mom did a bus one I think? She liked it. There are ghost tours too but they’re prob all at night.
Check out the Dobbin House- maybe get lunch there. They have tours and a gift shop. It’s the most historic (1776?) house in Gburg...it’s very cool.
Walk around Lincoln Square. Get ice cream at Mr Gs.

Dobbin House- I forgot about there. If I'm thinking of the same place they had an area you could see where they hid slaves traveling the Underground Railroad. He'd like that! Thank you!

My boys were 7 & 8 when we took them to Gettysburg several years ago. We did a battlefield bus tour that was pretty boring for them. They were much more interested when they were able to get off the bus and on to the battlefields. We also did an evening ghost tour. It was more of a ghost talk while we sat in an old attic. My kids got a kick out of it. We did this trip in August, so the outdoor pool was the biggest draw for my kids.

Thanks for your input about the bus tour. I was mulling that over and was wondering if he'd be bored with it and I think for sure he would. I think I may just drive him around show him the basics depending on their snow situation. The storm is over preforming in my area (NEPA) looks like another day off of school tomorrow. :worried:

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: rlk
I live 20 minutes from Gettysburg and DH and I usually spend our anniversary date at the Dobbin House.

On the square, there's a little clock shop that has tons of old pocket watches and mantle clocks and wall clocks. I love looking around in there. There are a ton interesting shops at the square. You can go to the visitor center. I love Gettysburg.

It's too cold, but one year for our anniversary we did a horseback tour of the battlefield. It was incredible.

If you don’t mind venturing out a little farther, you could visit Hershey. It’s about an hour from Gettysburg. You could visit Chocolate World and The Hershey Story (museum). Just a thought...

If you don’t mind venturing out a little farther, you could visit Hershey. It’s about an hour from Gettysburg. You could visit Chocolate World and The Hershey Story (museum). Just a thought...
And it may be springtime at Hershey. Plus there's the butterfly garden (my DH built the structural steel part of the dome!)

This is what we did when we took our children. We planned two nights at Hershey Lodge and three in Gettysburg.

Hershey has a very interesting tram ride through the town explaining the history. You get chocolate throughout the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!