Things To Do In Los Angeles - Backstage Magic Pre Day

Dis Gator

Earning My Ears
Hi!

I am going on a Backstage Magic later this year, and have a pre day booked in Los Angeles. I was wondering what you suggest doing on a pre day in L.A. My flight arrives into LAX at 8:30am on the pre day, so I basically have a full day, plus about half a day before the welcome reception. I am open to about anything, but just looking for suggestions. Thanks!

Is there anything special that you like to do? Museums? Hiking? Beach? Shopping? Foodie? If you share few ideas about what you like to do best, then it will be easier to make some suggestions that will be relevant to your interests.

We were there first week of january. We went to the California Science Center for a day. We also spent a day at Ripleys Believe it or not, world Guinness, and the wax museum (a packaged deal) and walked along hollywood blvd. Our best day was VIP at universal studios. DD got sick while we were there but our other day was planned to go to the santa monica pier where she was going to do trapeze school.

If you want to see how low the human race can fall than I suggest you take a trip to the Kardashian (spelling?) store. It is a testimonial on how crazy this "I" society has gotten.

I'm guessing that you are staying at the Loew's hotel, right? With a car, or a reasonable close Uber ride, I would suggest heading to the Observatory. It's a beautiful building, an interesting museum and a place for great pictures. But the real highlight is a hiking path from the parking lot that provides a nice hike with fabulous views of LA. For shopping, the Grove is also a quick drive or Uber ride away. Great stores, good places for lunch and you can even take in a movie. Celebrity viewing is a definite possibility. Our metro (subway) now extends to the beach so you could get the metro in Hollywood and take it to the beach (I believe this involves switching trains downtown so you should do some research). While we are talking about downtown, how about Disney Hall -- either to listen to music or take the tour? And if you are planning ahead you can book (free but necessary) tix to the Broad -- our newest museum that has an amazing modern art collection. I was just there this weekend for the first time and it is a treat. They have an amazing collection and the space is superb for looking at art -- high ceilings, well lit, airy and uncrowded. I believe that you can even book a family tour...

I'd agree with @EllinK above. Good suggestions. The observatory is pretty neat. Also the Farmers Market (at the Grove) is a really good take. If you want to hit the beach consider renting a car (Hertz has a desk right at the Loews) and driving, but only if you are brave or not afraid of traffic. ;)

However, I'd also caution you not to do too much before this ABD starts. Once you hit the Welcome Dinner on Sunday evening your days will be pretty full. There will be some late nights and early mornings. Don't start that off by being fatigued or sleep deprived.

I'd agree with @EllinK above. Good suggestions. The observatory is pretty neat. Also the Farmers Market (at the Grove) is a really good take. If you want to hit the beach consider renting a car (Hertz has a desk right at the Loews) and driving, but only if you are brave or not afraid of traffic. ;)

However, I'd also caution you not to do too much before this ABD starts. Once you hit the Welcome Dinner on Sunday evening your days will be pretty full. There will be some late nights and early mornings. Don't start that off by being fatigued or sleep deprived.

We leave on Saturday for this ABD! We added one pre and one post day, but even though this is our 5th ABD, I haven't done any pre planning except to make SUR reservations for Saturday evening! (DD & I are big BRAVO TV fans - our guilty pleasure - we watch it together and text - it's like a train wreck!)

Our last day we have red eye flights, so we are hoping the Disneyland Hotel will hold our luggage until our transfers to the airport. DD is going to get us admission for that one day. Otherwise, we really have no plans. Just to meet some of our CM friends for dinner. I'm so excited!!

We went to the tar pits, and wandered around to the Rooosevelt hotel, part of the design inspiration for tower of terror!

A good breakfast spot is Cantor's Deli. You'll feel like you've stepped back to the 50's.

Getty Center !!!!!! Its free great kids program. Great art, great place for kids to wander. Great place to be. cannot wait to go again

Just back! (and exhausted :P)

So much to do.... so little time! lol

Our "on your own time" in LA involved eating. :earboy2:
As fans of "Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" and "Vanderpump Rules", we ate at Villa Blanca and SUR! Both meals were terrific. DD got to meet two of the cast members from "Vanderpump Rules" at SUR and that was a fun highlight for her! We also had Sunday Brunch at "Laduree" in "The Grove" area. Really enjoyed it - food was great and the area was fun to people watch.

FYI - whoever takes this tour - pack some extra fleece or heavy sweater/sweatshirts - we hit a cold spell! :scared:

FYI - whoever takes this tour - pack some extra fleece or heavy sweater/sweatshirts - we hit a cold spell! :scared:

This is a huge point. Late fall to early spring can have very chilly nights in Southern California. I live in San Diego, and 2 days ago it was 39 in the am when I woke up at 630. Now this was a cold snap, but even low 50s with a wind can feel chilly at night.

This is a huge point. Late fall to early spring can have very chilly nights in Southern California. I live in San Diego, and 2 days ago it was 39 in the am when I woke up at 630. Now this was a cold snap, but even low 50s with a wind can feel chilly at night.

It's warmer at home in NJ right now! :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!