thinking of driving to WDW

bbrnca

addiction r bad unless a Mickey one
My DW and myself are thinking of driving to WDW in May 2018 and was wondering what is there along the way to see or do if we take 3 days to get to WDW. We would be crossing in fort Erie. Where does everyone usually stop along the way to spend the night. We are not planning to drive straight through. Let me know what you have done in the past. BTW- no kids along this trip at least on the car ride they are old enough to drive themselves or fly if they want

Don't know ur route but AAA ( if ur a member) will give you great ideas, local books, discounts for motels etc and typically tell you what others in ur area do.
Happy n safe travels.

We loved the drive to WDW. Sadly for health reasons driving is no longer an option but when we did we took 2.5 days, averaging about 8 hours on the road each day (no children). On the first day we drove from the Hamilton area to Beckley WV. We were on the road by 8 am and crossed in Niagara Falls. We would stop at the outlet mall in Grove City PA in order to stretch our legs and have lunch and we would stop at the Walmart on the I-19 (watch your speed) again to get out and stretch our legs (not sure what town it was in but it is right on the I-19). We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Beckley and there was a Bob Evans next door for dinner. The next day we drove to either Darien GA or Brunswick GA (again staying at a Hampton Inn). We stopped at the Walmart in Mooresville NC (also known as Race City USA) and a small mall in Columbia SC (Hobby Lobby). Again stopping at rest areas when needed and stopping for gas when necessary. The last day we were on the road by 8 am and have either driven right through to WDW arriving around noon and other times we have stopped in St. Augustine and Daytona Beach and arrived in the middle of the afternoon. Driving home, we did it in 2 days, not stopping much. We drove from WDW to Jonesville NC and then Jonesville NC to home. Driving home was approximately 11 hours each day. Hope that helps. You might want to check airfare from Buffalo as we found that it was cheaper to fly and rent a car for a few days while at WDW.

We loved the drive to WDW. Sadly for health reasons driving is no longer an option but when we did we took 2.5 days, averaging about 8 hours on the road each day (no children). On the first day we drove from the Hamilton area to Beckley WV. We were on the road by 8 am and crossed in Niagara Falls. We would stop at the outlet mall in Grove City PA in order to stretch our legs and have lunch and we would stop at the Walmart on the I-19 (watch your speed) again to get out and stretch our legs (not sure what town it was in but it is right on the I-19). We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Beckley and there was a Bob Evans next door for dinner. The next day we drove to either Darien GA or Brunswick GA (again staying at a Hampton Inn). We stopped at the Walmart in Mooresville NC (also known as Race City USA) and a small mall in Columbia SC (Hobby Lobby). Again stopping at rest areas when needed and stopping for gas when necessary. The last day we were on the road by 8 am and have either driven right through to WDW arriving around noon and other times we have stopped in St. Augustine and Daytona Beach and arrived in the middle of the afternoon. Driving home, we did it in 2 days, not stopping much. We drove from WDW to Jonesville NC and then Jonesville NC to home. Driving home was approximately 11 hours each day. Hope that helps. You might want to check airfare from Buffalo as we found that it was cheaper to fly and rent a car for a few days while at WDW.

Normally we fly out of Buffalo but this time we want to drive for some strange reason...lol... I know my wife would probably do most driving as only way to keep her in the car that long. We would cross in Fort Erie and take I-90 to I-79 to I-77 to I-26 to I-95 along those routes was looking for interesting things to stop at. Might just read the signs along interstates and say "hey lets go there" I would say 8 hrs per day driving would be enough for her. Daughter and Son in law are flying out 3 days later to join us down there. but again could change if prices are that good out of Buffalo still got 11 months before we head out, at least 6-8 months before the schedule for flights would probably open up for that time period.

We drove from NB. We stayed in PA the first night, and SC the second night. On the second day we stopped and toured the Shenandoah Caverns. I highly recommend!

We've driven several times from Oakville, ON with kids, my husband drives and prefers to drive at night. So we usually leave in the afternoon and cross the border into the us at Fort Erie. We take the 77/79 route too. He pushes through to Wytheville, VA the first night, but we usually get there around 1 Am. There is a Fairfield inn we have stayed at a couple of times and have also stayed at the Ramada across the street from it. The next morning we push off after breakfast around 9:30-10 am and then we keep going until we arrive at our hotel in Orlando usually late but then after a good nights sleep we can start the next day with our plans. :). We don't normally make any stops to see things along the way.

One time we did take the I75 home and stopped in Atlanta for a night so we could go to the Georia Aquarium and see the whale shark. It was pretty cool to see. :)

My MIL swears by the outlet mall in Grove City, Penn. I haven't been, but she likes to stop there on the way to and from FL.

You might also like the N.C. countryside. It's quite beautiful.

Grove City outlets are pretty good - I can vouch for that. My $1500 tux I got for $40 bucks there still comes on most cruises!

DH and I talked about driving and did a cost comparison between driving and flying. Turns out it would save us about $300 flying out of Ottawa instead of driving down. Now DH is struggling with his dislike (fear) of flying vs his need to find the most financially sound option. I'm good for either option as I love flying and I love road trips.

What magic airline did you find to save that kind of money? Or is it just the two of you? We are 4 people and driving from Toronto, even with a rental is much cheaper.

What magic airline did you find to save that kind of money? Or is it just the two of you? We are 4 people and driving from Toronto, even with a rental is much cheaper.
It's just the two of us and both our vehicles are trucks so the gas is a killer. With gas, hotels, and food stops it added up to over $1200 and WestJet had flights for $950

Oh yes, then I totally understand... there's also wear and tear on your vehicle. That's why we rent to travel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter