Thinking of getting my first credit card...

Mainly because I really want airline miles as I'm having to fly more lately. I have my sights set of the Capital One Venture ONE card. It has no annual fee and a low APR.

Any thoughts on this card or recommendations for others?

I Believe Chase sapphire gets the better rating if you do your research and use the Miles correctly however it will mainly benefit international travel not domestic... Using miles for most major carriers to fly to Florida unless Florida is a distant part of the US for you is a poor use of miles. These cards are more for people who fly a lot... truthfully if you fly even a reasonable amount on one airline they make it easy to earn a lot of bonus miles.
However you are in general better picking an Airline and getting their card there are more benefits like free luggage discounts for in flight purchases and earing more miles for certain category purchases much less booking with the airline.
If you are not picking an Airline a cash back card may serve you better...Preferably one that gives you more of a cash based conversion for miles like Jet Blue. I am personally not a fan of Southwest due to how the seating works and further it offer very few flights out of my area except for the more remote smaller airports near me but I believe they have a cash based conversion as well.... However make sure you understand how the searing works and it further complicates things when using points especially when you can only cover one ticket.
There is lots of information on the internet if you search and even a forum.

Edit to add No annual fee cards will get you no where in the world of flying except maybe a one time use free ticket but will make you ineligible for the big bonus for the paid cards under the same brand in a lot of cases.... If no annual fee is your goal get a cash back card you will make out far better.

Agreed. Don't get the airline cards to rack up miles for domestic travel. Only way you can get value out of them is to fly international first class.

I love my Capital One Venture card. I did the math and I made almost $1,000 last year in travel rewards.

This is a frequently asked question on here. There isn't one solution for everyone. It depends on: 1) which airline(s) you frequently use and how often you travel, 2) how much you charge each year and 3) if you pay off the balance each month. If you travel on business, some companies let you keep those miles while others don't. If you don't accumulate enough points to purchase a ticket before they expire, then they aren't worth much. Those are the factors to consider vs. looking at generic 'ratings' of the various credit cards.

This is a frequently asked question on here. There isn't one solution for everyone. It depends on: 1) which airline(s) you frequently use and how often you travel, 2) how much you charge each year and 3) if you pay off the balance each month. If you travel on business, some companies let you keep those miles while others don't. If you don't accumulate enough points to purchase a ticket before they expire, then they aren't worth much. Those are the factors to consider vs. looking at generic 'ratings' of the various credit cards.
People have been telling me to get a "airline" specific card, but there isn't just one airline I use. I literally just use whichever is the cheapest for my dates. In term of how much I spend, not much each month, so paying it off isn't an issue.

^^ That is exactly why I made those remarks. The answer isn't a 'one size fits all' approach and depends on various factors specific to each person. Cash back may be worth more to some compared to frequent flyer miles.

I switched to this one (Venture) last year. I’ve banked $1650 in travel dollars so far. You can use them for many travel expenses including hotels and car rentals. I’m saving them for a big trip. I pay it off every month. Never paid a penny of interest. I put everything I can on it EXCEPT gas. I put gas on a card that pays me 3% cash back for gas. Saving that $ for same trip.

AND I POSTED EARLIER TODAY that I’ve used my new RED Card to buy Disney gift cards for 5% off for Disney purchases. SAVED $75 off my DCL balance. Only catch I can’t get the 6 months grace period like with my Disney Visa. I pay it off a day or two after I make the purchase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter