Third Time is the Charm

StarShine3

Earning My Ears
Mother/Daughter Mid-December 2017 Trip

This is my pre-trip report for my third trip to Walt Disney World. On this trip will be me and my daughter. My husband gets fewer days of vacation than I do. We moved to a new house this summer and that ate up several of his days for the year. He encouraged us to go, he would stay home with the dogs and enjoy the peace and quiet before the holidays began.

My name is Star, I work as an instructional designer at a local community college in the Nashville Metro area. I’ve also been working on my Master’s degree, the class work is interesting but it sure does take up most of my free time.

My daughter, Julia, is a sophomore at University of Tennessee Chattanooga. It is about a 2.5 hours away from our house. Most of the time this is a perfect distance. Far enough that she doesn’t come home every weekend, but close enough that she can come home when she want to. We are both looking forward to this trip as it will be a nice break from homework, studying and tests.

The first time we went to Walt Disney World Julia was 9 years old. My husband and had planned on doing a Disney trip at some point. It took until she was 9 years old to make it work with our budget and have the time to go. We hoped that 9 years old would be a great age. I did a lot of planning and spent many hours on the Disboards researching. It was an OK trip. I was a little to scheduled and Julia was disappointed by Disney World. By this point she was already a rollercoaster junkie and thought that Disney World would be great. I tried to explain the difference between an amusement park and a theme park, even before we went but she was still unimpressed with the lack of thrills at Disney. Looking back, I see that since I had a fully mapped out touring plan, she felt a lack of control. I think if I had given her the schedule and made her the schedule master, it may have been a better experience.

We didn’t go back to WDW until Julia’s junior year of high school. In October 2015 we did a mother/daughter trip that lasted about a week. The trip was great! The drive home was a little dramatic. Part of the drama was a shortage of sleep and part of the drama was questions about who should drive home. We did make it home fine and overall it was an awesome experience.

So, we had one meh… trip and one good trip, so why take another? Because we bond in a special way at Disney World and since she is in college we don’t have that many more opportunities to take trips like these.

In my next post I explain my problem with “Disney World Creep.”

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter