"This is a special place"-Feb 2019 WDW & Cruise-COMPLETED (finally) 6/29!

trying to negotiate a sudden dental issue, and po
I forgot about that! You did have a rough pre-trip start.

Because I upgraded us to main cabin select, we were boarding group 5. Of course, people are idiots and crowd around the boarding area, even when they are group 7, 8, 9, etc. And it makes it a pain to get through! I wish people would just wait further away until they are called!
Why do people do this? I just don't understand. You have a seat, relax.

Then we left and headed to AKL. As we pulled through the gate we were surrounded by trees and lushness. Then pulled up to the building and my mom audibly gasped at how gorgeous it is! She loved the thatched roof and just how awesome of a first impression it is!
perfect!

0EajSXe.jpg
So cute!!!

We both really liked this. Of the dips, I think I really only liked the Mango Chutney but my mom also liked the Cucumber Raita. I wish they still had the option to get a couple pieces of bread and only 3 dips like I heard about in the past, because it would be a waste for me to get the whole thing if I was by myself. (I think you may be able to get Naan by itself, so maybe I’ll check that out when I’m staying at Kidani Village in February)
Maybe you could sub out some of the dips for more than one of a certain kind. The naan is sooo good to dip in the butter chicken!

We considered buying my sister, Lauren, one of the bread service dishes but it was expensive!
They are! I did get one and I love it! But they are not cheap!

At first I was annoyed at all the screaming and shouting coming from the overlook, thinking it was raucus teenagers. Then I realized it was the African music piped out there! Oops!
Ha! That is hilarious.

So excited to read this report! I will definitely stay at AKL one of these days. A mom/daughter trip there sounds like a great idea, so hopefully I can convince my daughter to go. Thanks for sharing this report! :flower1:

Joining in! I'm trying my very hardest to not change my first night in August to something non value 🤣 it will be the first time my sisters bf will be back to Disney since he was like 7 though so I am sort of on the fence about it. Although, he's a boy and it is really only to sleep and it was such a good deal that I think I'm just going to leave it! Haha

Can't wait to hear all about your trip!

Sounds like you had a perfect first day! I don't understand disneys new thing of putting so many resorts on one bus but at least your mom didn't mind and added to her excitement!

Awesome upgrade to savanna view! Looks like one of the better views I've seen from AKL. It bothers me the rooms that have the circle fence right out front, I don't feel like those should be considered savanna view!

So nice you were upgraded to a savanna view for mom's first trip! Made it even more special :goodvibes

as well as I had my lovely TA (@ArielSRL )
Yay for supporting small business!! It's nice sometimes to have someone else take care of the details for you even when you know what you're doing :thumbsup2
Of course, people are idiots and crowd around the boarding area, even when they are group 7, 8, 9, etc.
OMG I HATE this. We always fly JetBlue so everyone always has their seat assignment when they board-or did until they made a recent change, but still the majority know their seat. Then they divide you into groups A-D as to load the plane back to front, window/middle/aisle seats so if you're group C or D you KNOW you aren't getting on right away! But everyone STILL crowds around as soon as they start boarding and then those in A and B have to shove their way through everyone else :headache::headache:
We both got the Butter Chicken
Mmm my favorite there!

Holy Legroom on your flight, Batman!!! That's pretty nice despite the annoyingness of a narrow seat and not being able to start your in flight entertainment right away.

I love how your Mom gasped and was so impressed with your hotel choice :) Good work!

We've never eaten at Sanaa either. I LOVE bread, so I'm sure the bread service would be an easy go-to for me, but not sure I'd love anything else on the menu.

I loved the Sanaa bread and varied dipping sauces. There was so much that I couldn't finish my lamb entree and had to take that back to the room to eat for breakfast the next day. BTW the lamb tender and delicious.

I'm here!! I'm so glad everything worked out and you got an upgrade! Wow, that is a lot of legroom on that flight! Chad's favorite restaurant on property is Sanaa, so we go often. I usually get the bread as my meal so then I can get dessert! Can't wait to read about all the rest!

Joining in!

What an amazing view from your room and a perfect relaxing day after your early start!
Yeah, it was nice! Still super exhausting day - it's surprising how exhausting sitting in a plane can be!
I'm again late to the party here, but enjoying reading about AKL. How cool it must be to have giraffes right outside. The food looked great too!!
Yeah, I loved that room view!
I forgot about that! You did have a rough pre-trip start.
It was stressful! At least it ended up working out in the end!
Why do people do this? I just don't understand. You have a seat, relax.
OMG I HATE this. We always fly JetBlue so everyone always has their seat assignment when they board-or did until they made a recent change, but still the majority know their seat. Then they divide you into groups A-D as to load the plane back to front, window/middle/aisle seats so if you're group C or D you KNOW you aren't getting on right away! But everyone STILL crowds around as soon as they start boarding and then those in A and B have to shove their way through everyone else :headache::headache:
Sooo annoying! Last week there were a lot of flights leaving for Hawaii before mine back to CA. And one the flight attendants had to keep asking over the loudspeaker to move out of the way because they were actually blocking people trying to get thru!
So excited to read this report! I will definitely stay at AKL one of these days. A mom/daughter trip there sounds like a great idea, so hopefully I can convince my daughter to go. Thanks for sharing this report! :flower1:
I really just love AKL! My favorite resort!
Joining in! I'm trying my very hardest to not change my first night in August to something non value 🤣 it will be the first time my sisters bf will be back to Disney since he was like 7 though so I am sort of on the fence about it. Although, he's a boy and it is really only to sleep and it was such a good deal that I think I'm just going to leave it! Haha

Can't wait to hear all about your trip!

Sounds like you had a perfect first day! I don't understand disneys new thing of putting so many resorts on one bus but at least your mom didn't mind and added to her excitement!

Awesome upgrade to savanna view! Looks like one of the better views I've seen from AKL. It bothers me the rooms that have the circle fence right out front, I don't feel like those should be considered savanna view!
Yeah, it's always hard to pick between saving money and having a great room, even if only for a night!
So nice you were upgraded to a savanna view for mom's first trip! Made it even more special :goodvibes
I know! I think if/when I bring her back, we will bring my dad and definitely stay in AKL.
Yay for supporting small business!! It's nice sometimes to have someone else take care of the details for you even when you know what you're doing :thumbsup2
Haha, yeah! Though I can't quite give up full control over the cruise yet!
I'm here!! I'm so glad everything worked out and you got an upgrade! Wow, that is a lot of legroom on that flight! Chad's favorite restaurant on property is Sanaa, so we go often. I usually get the bread as my meal so then I can get dessert! Can't wait to read about all the rest!
That seems smart for bread/dessert!

Day 1, Part 1 – Introducing my mom to WDW!

We woke up around 9am today. I knew we’d need to not be going pretty hard that early because of the time difference, so first thing planned was Boma breakfast at 10:45. We actually woke up earlier than expected and I was able to modify it to 10:30 (though it probably wouldn’t have been an issue even if we had showed up early).

(Oh and I know at some point this morning, my mom did comment that "this is a special place", which was the inspiration for my TR title!)

While getting everything together, we had the curtains and balcony door open, but not a whole lot of animals yet (I think they had closed off that savanna for cleaning).

Got everything transferred over to Beach Club Villas, said goodbye to our lovely room and view, and then headed down to Boma (actually walked thru pool area and mom really liked how lush it is; I need to spend more time there on an upcoming trip!)

TuA8gGn.jpg
KWlfio1.jpg

Breakfast was delicious as always! My mom was sooo in love with it all!

GQLNyrq.jpg
Nu1kheh.jpg
paD0EmY.jpg
z176rwh.jpg
MuOrPh1.jpg
OSXwyUZ.jpg

Mom also had her birthday button showing (it was her birthday earlier in the month) and the waitress brought out a cupcake, which was good, but we were sooo stuffed!

I19JGoZ.jpg

This one of the few repeat meals I do at WDW and I highly recommend it. It’s also a great value, with my TiW it was only $30pp including tax and tip! And because we were there right before it closed, there weren't lines at the buffet (but we still had a full selection of food available)

During breakfast we heard drums and thought they were coming from the lobby but turns out it was some of the hostesses banging along since the host desk was closed at 11! Fun atmosphere.

j07vcQg.jpg

And I loved how the telephone wire baskets were located above the telephones!

9wstyN5.jpg

Headed out and went out to the savanna overlook since animals were out now.

lE4Ikrp.jpg
JXLKYXs.jpg
ma3AKyc.jpg
RFE57vs.jpg
A3Rz0pp.jpg

Also went over and checked out the sunset savanna lounge/overlook where we got to see ostriches. Mom really liked looking at all the photos in the lounge, as they reminded her of her aunt and uncle who had lived in Africa for years.

X1AuM9G.jpg
KjI1u7c.jpg

Finally headed out of the lodge around 12! A bit tight considering our first FP was safari 11:30-12:30 and we had a tour at 1! Though I did some FP modifying and was able to push that one back to 1:20, phew!

mtkH0wJ.jpg

Once we arrived at the park, I introduced mom to Disney’s photopass system, and warned her – if there’s not a line, we stop!

oNT9e8J.jpg
bcpa6zB.jpg
brfiF5V.jpg

And another inside the park!

TVFBa04.jpg
hmp5tXP.jpg

Headed up and checked out some of the animals around the tree of life (kangaroos were out).

ZlwmvzM.jpg
wwGDGnf.jpg
N9Nz77y.jpg

And also the little monkeys on the back exhibit were adorable and very active. (the Otter Grotto was still under construction)

tcewVZn.jpg
bxyEXwM.jpg

Ended up checking out some of the carvings too by the exit from TTBAB.

Dzzguzc.jpg
S5RGvzk.jpg
REHDjly.jpg
X3IvijS.jpg

Realized we were running late and I rushed us up to Africa to check in for our Caring for Giants tour (my mom loves elephants so I thought she would like this). I noticed this rock which was sweet!

y5cxDiJ.jpg

Ended up only being us and 1 other lady on the tour (her husband couldn’t make it). Loved the tour, gave such good info and great views of the animals. Got to see one sleeping standing up and all of them ended up walking by the outlook at one point or another. I highly recommend this! It’s a nice, short, and affordable tour!

x3XG9zT.jpg
Gjb4P55.jpg
z80qvt4.jpg
ShVPeX4.jpg
27mejEO.jpg
X03tdwV.jpg
tc2lPvC.jpg

giphy.gif

Sleepy elephant

WR0Aeff.jpg

And a wake up call…

9EyCh83.jpg

Afterwards, headed right into the safari. Got a row to ourselves which was nice!

i8lD74p.jpg

A great safari – driver was awesome and gave lots of good info. Unfortunately I forgot her name so I couldn’t give cast compliment!

Anyways, some ghosts in the forest! Plus a clearer view of the elusive Okapi!

Xm3oaQ2.jpg
qq6pnKV.jpg
2FjtaMD.jpg

An active Rhino

8nTXKgz.jpg
Noym1aT.jpg

Ok…don't know what's going on with these birds! (I'm pretty sure they are trying to cool down, but it's still weird looking)

X6l6KvD.jpg

The funniest thing ever happened on the Safari! We passed by the hippos and I noticed Tuma moving thru the hippo pool with baby Augustus bobbing behind her.

caG6dfc.jpg
PrFTUKH.jpg

As we passed by, her tail started to spin. And I realized what was about to happen (I’ve seen enough youtube videos)… and she began to poop, using her tail to fling it all around. But Augustus literally got a face full of poop! Poor little guy! But I was laughing so hard I could barely tell mom what had happened!

DuWUUOO.jpg
UvnVzNr.jpg
Phc2eiL.jpg
25swJxc.jpg

Ok, on with the safari!

African wild dogs – most sleeping, but one running around.

mrJvXSD.jpg
m4jSRid.jpg

On the Savannah

2G8CDo9.jpg
BG8Wpks.jpg
QcsdVZM.jpg
Xm0mPRp.jpg

All of the baby giraffes were hanging out around the shade and trees (it was pretty warm that day)

lsEGUAT.jpg
6EUQjVX.jpg
37rtSYc.jpg
20Gwbao.jpg

Our elephant friends again

cLreEBk.jpg
XaUKecQ.jpg

Caught in the act…

pVGjxGn.jpg

More rhinos

JPnPof5.jpg

And sleepy lion

TQf7rGg.jpg

Coming up: A Dismeet and dinner!

That Caring for Giants looks like a fun tour. I'd love to do it when I have time!! So funny about the tail spinning pooping hippo lol! You don't see that every day!

Boma is so delicious! What a great way to start off the day.

My sister and I did the Caring for Giants tour and loved it too! That's awesome that you almost had a private tour though! I love the photo frame in the shape of an elephant! They didn't have that when we did it!

Ewwww…poor Augustus! 😆

We are doing the Caring for Giants tour next month because we couldn't get the Rhino tour. It looks pretty cool and like you get fairly close to the elephants. Love your pics!

Sounds like a great breakfast! I always hear such good things about it!

A great start to your afternoon at AK! Poor Augustus :rotfl2:

Enjoying your report and loving all the pics! I feel so bad for Augustus! :rotfl: Your Boma pictures look amazing. I am desperate to try it some day. And I'm so glad your mom loved AKL! Sounds like you made the right choice. My mom has not been to WDW since she took me when I was 8. I want to take her with us sometime, but she's disabled and has some pretty significant chronic pain issues, so I don't know that it would work very well. Anyway, when we stayed at AKL in 2018 I sent her pictures of the resort and her immediate response was "if I ever get back to WDW this is where I want to stay." It's just so gorgeous! Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip, particularly the cruise, as we've never done one.

Late to the party! Following along and looking forward to reading more . Love Boma for breakfast. What a great view y’all had .

What a great morning with your mom. AKL is such a lovely place to stay.
I really enjoyed the caring for giants tour. The tours so far at AK have been so wonderful
It’s so nice to have an interactive Safari and a good guide!

What a lovely start to the day. We've never ventured over to Boma, but it always sounds delicious in your reports! You and your Mom are just adorable :) Love the picture with the cutout elephant on your tour! That's another thing I'd like to try some day soon.

Poor little Augustus....but also quite hilarious LOL

That Caring for Giants looks like a fun tour. I'd love to do it when I have time!! So funny about the tail spinning pooping hippo lol! You don't see that every day!
Yeah, it's a fun tour! About 1 hr start to finish, so not too hard to get into the schedule!

And I love Hippos, so it was hilarious watching that!
Boma is so delicious! What a great way to start off the day.

My sister and I did the Caring for Giants tour and loved it too! That's awesome that you almost had a private tour though! I love the photo frame in the shape of an elephant! They didn't have that when we did it!
I do love Boma! Caring for Giants is a great tour - I wish they had even more (like Giraffes, cheetahs, etc)
Ewwww…poor Augustus! 😆

We are doing the Caring for Giants tour next month because we couldn't get the Rhino tour. It looks pretty cool and like you get fairly close to the elephants. Love your pics!
Yeah, I hope you have fun! Keep checking on the Rhinos though- that one was great!
Sounds like a great breakfast! I always hear such good things about it!

A great start to your afternoon at AK! Poor Augustus :rotfl2:
Boma is delicious!
Enjoying your report and loving all the pics! I feel so bad for Augustus! :rotfl: Your Boma pictures look amazing. I am desperate to try it some day. And I'm so glad your mom loved AKL! Sounds like you made the right choice. My mom has not been to WDW since she took me when I was 8. I want to take her with us sometime, but she's disabled and has some pretty significant chronic pain issues, so I don't know that it would work very well. Anyway, when we stayed at AKL in 2018 I sent her pictures of the resort and her immediate response was "if I ever get back to WDW this is where I want to stay." It's just so gorgeous! Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip, particularly the cruise, as we've never done one.
Ah! Same thing with my parents - I know I would take them back to stay at AKL. And my dad just watched The Imagineering Story, so is more interesting in seeing more than just Disneyland!

Could you guys do a trip that is park-light and more relaxing at AKL-it's such a great resort with lots of activities! Maybe get a villa so you have the same room but each get your own space in case your mom needs to retreat and take a break due to pain?
Late to the party! Following along and looking forward to reading more . Love Boma for breakfast. What a great view y’all had .
Yeah, I loved that room view! Hoping to get something just as good in 1.5 weeks!
What a great morning with your mom. AKL is such a lovely place to stay.
I really enjoyed the caring for giants tour. The tours so far at AK have been so wonderful
It’s so nice to have an interactive Safari and a good guide!
Yeah, Animal Kingdom does have the best tours! I wish I could get even more time backstage!
What a lovely start to the day. We've never ventured over to Boma, but it always sounds delicious in your reports! You and your Mom are just adorable :) Love the picture with the cutout elephant on your tour! That's another thing I'd like to try some day soon.

Poor little Augustus....but also quite hilarious LOL
Boma definitely is a place I recommend!

Day 1, Part 2 – A Dismeet and dinner

After the Safari, we looped right around to Gorilla Falls. I knew this probably wasn’t a good idea timewise, but we were right there…

3xQlqpP.jpg
yAIeBlL.jpg

Meerkats! So cute with the pile of babies! (At least I think there were babies – it isn’t clear in the photo but I do remember seeing babies…)

qUpsDLm.jpg
24uPXh8.jpg

Gorillas weren’t out (we could see a keeper walking around in the enclosure, which definitely shows the gorillas aren’t in the same space). By the time we got to the bridge though, they had just been let out and were running around! It was pretty cute!

Zt5puiC.jpg
ceNiE2j.jpg

But didn’t have a whole lot of time because I had to rush us over to Festival of the Lion King. Officially we had a Fastpass, but by the time we got there they had closed that line. Just letting in the very last of standby, so we tagged along into there and just made it to the show. They had just started to do the section introductions. I think we were the giraffes (I’ve always been lion). Mom really loved show, I just wish we could have had a better view.

bAS5FX9.jpg
rDXHyMm.jpg

We had a bit of downtime before our next FP so we decided to stroll down to Pandora using the back path. We were hungry though, but not hungry enough for a whole meal and knew we were having a big dinner. Neither of us were really interested in the Pandora options, so we ended up grabbing ice cream bars from the stand behind the bathrooms.

hQCbjIN.jpg

No real photos from here – arrived, walked around Pandora a bit, rode Flight of Passage (loved it as always, though my mom did have to close her eyes on the scenes where it feels like you are dropping).

YH7VLEX.jpg
2Tm1aKC.jpg
1gi4evY.jpg
BRiBLwe.jpg
zFdZCQK.jpg

I was able to pickup a FP for NRJ. While waiting for the time, we got to meet up with my friend, Zach (@AMusicLifeForMe ) and his dad! We didn’t intend for this, but it looks like a phone signal bars here based on the way we lined up.

iPQEjgS.jpg
FeXatn8.jpg

At the NRJ FP tap-point I was able to nicely ask the CM, and they let Zach and his dad on with me and my mom! We ended up getting a full boat to ourselves – it would have not been comfortable being squished together! But my mom really liked the ride as it was nice and calming.

CG7w64h.jpg
J1blGc0.jpg
5lofRRA.jpg

giphy.gif

And for the first time (for me and Zach), the Shaman was on B Mode and we got to see the screen. Sucks to not be able to show my mom the animatronic, but still better than a black curtain over it!

HMz8ePo.jpg
HXE0LXQ.jpg
giphy.gif

We said bye to Zach, but we would see him again the next day. Some more photos on the way out.

xhCh8Vp.jpg
iuplyM4.jpg
Ewh31vU.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts