"This is a special place"-Feb 2019 WDW & Cruise-COMPLETED (finally) 6/29!

Sorry for the delay! But I knew I needed to at least finish up this day before I leave for WDW in 2 days! Eeepp! Still so much to prepare but I'm happy to get away!

Day 2, Part 2 - Festival of the Arts

After breakfast and some rides it was time to enjoy the Festival of the Arts a bit.

Saw The Living Statues (but didn’t get in photos with them because there were lines and no PP)

K9zvXDx.jpg

Checked out the rocking horses which were adorable. And I checked out art tents in showcase plaza. Bought some postcards of art prints (for a friend and for me).

NxcZ0fk.jpg
7eRNvoV.jpg
EA5YG0a.jpg

Of course more photopass stops!

PJTrG0l.jpg
1AZgycz.jpg
SpVU1Ox.jpg
k2RwKXm.jpg
5aDyDuK.jpg
yZMDaIA.jpg

Caught the acrobats, which was fine, but not earth shattering (I think it was also hot and we were standing in the sun, so were happy to move on).

FVWSDKL.jpg
5ppzdkp.jpg

Saw some of the chalk paintings, unfortunately the shadows didn't let the photos turn out well!

MwaNSav.jpg
2vHYMNt.jpg
1EKaueI.jpg
3bG1P2X.jpg

Food at Pop Eats – convinced mom to get the Almond Frangipane Cake layered with Raspberry Jam and Callebaut Belgian Chocolate, but I didn’t end up liking it (I think she did; I’m just not really a jam fan). I got the Sous Vide Poulet Rouge Chicken Roulade with Apples and Sage served with Warm Brie Fondue, Blueberry and Beet Gel and garnished with Apple and Beet Chips, which I think I liked (hard to remember this long ago)! As we were ordering, a group of maybe 200 15s walked by! It was pretty insane and I wish we had taken video/photos!

4gQWaRh.jpg
8TyzyRK.jpg
g2XeKB8.jpg

Went to the art marbeling station. I asked if mom wanted to get a scarf, but she declined. A lady was working on one so we watched hers (though she didn’t quite get the whole technique for the raking through the paint, which was a bit aggravating to watch). Crazy how the paint stayed on immediately and they could wring out everything!

HVGfgHg.jpg
cym8MqT.jpg
1G4Ztu5.jpg
pb5MCgR.jpg

Stopped to work on the mural. I got a green paint and was soo annoyed at people who did not do a good job at filling in the boxes, so after I finished my 6 boxes, I went around and touched up a couple while mom was laughing! I know they are on the last murals currently at Epcot, so hopefully they still will have some squares left by the time I visit on Sunday!

CHSjTqc.jpg
IhOHzlP.jpg
fpns4bq.jpg
Ps2qnUm.jpg

Very focused on my task!

TiAG098.jpg

Stopped at Decadant Delights to get the White Chocolate and Purple Sweet Potato Mousse, Caramel, Coconut and Maple Meringue. Meh, wouldn’t bother getting again. Too chalky. A little girl sitting next to me on the bench had one of the cookies and smushed all the colors together so it looked brown! Not too appetizing but she had fun!

c7MggRn.jpg
Pw4j5SM.jpg

Went to catch part of the Canadian band, which was very good.

FrlQrjo.jpg

And it was so clear you could see the Disney Springs balloon from Epcot!

flPzZAE.jpg

Walked around Canada pavilion (Mom is from Vancouver, Canada). Mom noted some souvenirs for my brother. Watched O Canada. Definitely needs updating and I can’t wait to see the new show!

JYkZXqv.jpg
1w6eYoN.jpg
01laPE5.jpg
BfCOTQi.jpg
Hd9WGB2.jpg

And unintentionally I recreated mom’s photo from her visit!

BVtUex8.jpg

Uk pavilion – liked the Winnie the pooh merch. I think there was a particular shirt which I liked but didn’t end up taking a photo of (smart, right)! And they didn’t have it in my size anyways. Mom spied a purse in one store she liked, and she went back for it later!

shi7tSF.jpg
un3PHRs.jpg
2FmQIu2.jpg
jHaB4DK.jpg
s0peVS3.jpg

Meanwhile, I checked out some of the chalk art on the walls!
IF0WOsS.jpg
z8xV2jB.jpg

And stopped at one of the photo opps!

zSIg7U4.jpg
SYhVxFp.jpg
aaMgVeh.jpg
kA4ofIw.jpg

I liked these little paintings at the character spots!

jBY4Y3L.jpg

Went back to the resort for a bit of a rest. I had hoped to go to the pool (gorgeous day for it) but when I got back into the room and laid down a moment, I couldn’t get back up!

Eventually we did get up and headed back to Epcot for dinner.

They had the Tinkerbell Lantern out, so we stopped for those photos!

cfk381Y.jpg

Met with Zach and his dad at Rose and Crown (cheers for his big news on getting an Orlando apartment that afternoon).

JpLiG8R.jpg

Zach had fun with his glow cube!

giphy.gif
z6MA5ha.jpg

Everyone else got fish and chips; I got Shepherds Pie. I liked mine, but had a bite of my mom’s fish and would have preferred that! At least I’ll know when I eat there again in February. (And I feel like they really should serve this with mushy peas. Or at least peas. Need to be authentic!)

KGwF1wI.jpg
jbWi9Nd.jpg

Mom and I also shared the trifle, which we liked.

iBMhg0U.jpg

Initially hoped to get a good view of Illuminations, and we had a patio table but it was underneath the awning so no real view. We could have gone to the private area, but didn’t bother as our food had come out and we all knew there would be more chances to see Illuminations. We did get to see parts of illuminations (the globe and lake portions), just not the high fireworks.

rC0L6Z5.jpg
0U5wN0w.jpg
alKYK27.jpg
WmaxW33.jpg
Arleitb.jpg

On our way back into BCV we noticed these paintings in the lobby – mom and dad have a print of the kid version above their bed (it matches myself, my sister (blond), and baby brother). We had to take a photo since it was hilarious!

3MxhUgX.jpg

Went back to room and crashed for the night!

Coming up - Enjoying more of Animal Kingdom!

Sounds like a nice day enjoying the Festival of the Arts! I love the paint a mural, such a fun thing they offer!

Still seems like you had a cool view of Illuminations!

I’m just not really a jam fan)
Don't let Su-Queen hear you say that!!!

Went to the art marbeling station. I asked if mom wanted to get a scarf, but she declined. A lady was working on one so we watched hers (though she didn’t quite get the whole technique for the raking through the paint, which was a bit aggravating to watch). Crazy how the paint stayed on immediately and they could wring out everything!
This is such an awesome form of art!! When we were there in December, I met up with one of my friends from high school who I hadn't seen in almost 20 years!!! She is a manager at the Art store/studio in Disney Springs now where they do this scarf marbling year round. So cool!

so after I finished my 6 boxes, I went around and touched up a couple while mom was laughing!
Hilariously type A of you, Lesley.....also, I would have done the same :) so you're in good company!

And unintentionally I recreated mom’s photo from her visit!
That is a perfectly happy little accident. Love those kinds of now and then pics!

Stopped to work on the mural. I got a green paint and was soo annoyed at people who did not do a good job at filling in the boxes, so after I finished my 6 boxes, I went around and touched up a couple while mom was laughing! I know they are on the last murals currently at Epcot, so hopefully they still will have some squares left by the time I visit on Sunday!
We did this late in the day and seriously can people not paint in the lines? It was so BAD looking!

And it was so clear you could see the Disney Springs balloon from Epcot!

flPzZAE.jpg
That is really cool. Don't think that is what Disney wants you to see...

Watched O Canada. Definitely needs updating and I can’t wait to see the new show!
I can't wait to hear what you think of the new version. We actually saw it this trip but we never watched the other version. Morgan and I were both getting dizzy watching it!

Food at Pop Eats – convinced mom to get the Almond Frangipane Cake layered with Raspberry Jam and Callebaut Belgian Chocolate, but I didn’t end up liking it (I think she did; I’m just not really a jam fan).

I felt exactly the same way. But I got it anyway just because it looked cool.

Stopped to work on the mural.

I really want to do this. Do they have anything like it for F&G? So fun. You are so funny that you went back and fixed other peoples' work lol I can see myself doing that too.

Got back from my trip last time, so hopefully will start posting the rest of this TR soon! Meanwhile, responses!
Sounds like a nice day enjoying the Festival of the Arts! I love the paint a mural, such a fun thing they offer!

Still seems like you had a cool view of Illuminations!
I did love the paint a number. And may have done it several times in February!
Don't let Su-Queen hear you say that!!!

This is such an awesome form of art!! When we were there in December, I met up with one of my friends from high school who I hadn't seen in almost 20 years!!! She is a manager at the Art store/studio in Disney Springs now where they do this scarf marbling year round. So cool!

Hilariously type A of you, Lesley.....also, I would have done the same :) so you're in good company!

That is a perfectly happy little accident. Love those kinds of now and then pics!
Funny thing about the touch-ups - I was there at the end of FoA and the mural was already totally done mid-day. But they still had people working to basically touch everything up! I was like - this is my dream job!
My boys did the exact same this year. Once it was a brown mess, they were ready to toss it!

Wow! Nice!
Definitely a lot of messy moments with those cookies!
We did this late in the day and seriously can people not paint in the lines? It was so BAD looking!

That is really cool. Don't think that is what Disney wants you to see...

I can't wait to hear what you think of the new version. We actually saw it this trip but we never watched the other version. Morgan and I were both getting dizzy watching it!
I did some more touch-up work 2 weeks ago and I was living for that! Basically covering up the physical lines, making crisp spots between colors, etc.

I liked the new version. I could definitely see getting dizzy too! But it was cool that you could see my apartment building when I lived in Montreal!
I felt exactly the same way. But I got it anyway just because it looked cool.

I really want to do this. Do they have anything like it for F&G? So fun. You are so funny that you went back and fixed other peoples' work lol I can see myself doing that too.
I don't think they had anything for F&G. One year they had people work on stencils on water barrels for collecting rainwater, but I think I stumbled onto that, not a constant offering!

Ok, so sorry for such a delay! Just getting back from the trip and then...well, you know whats going on in the world! Trying to balance working from home and not having a proper work space, along with just trying to keep from going crazy! Oh well, I hope everyone is keeping safe and healthy!

Day 3 - The worst safari ever!

No set breakfast plans this day, but we were headed back to Animal Kingdom.

Mom had been admiring the Minnie Vans driving around property, so I surprised her with one to drive us to AK, and it was very lovely. Pricey, but worth it on occasion!

6jkZJ9h.jpg

A lovely day for Animal Kingdom!

npz2D7n.jpg

We headed up to Kusafari to share a cinnamon roll. Very sticky. Not super fresh, but still tasty. Mom’s coffee was cold unfortunately. She just didn’t want to deal with going back to get a fresh cup.

LR3C8G2.jpg
KCHyxvC.jpg

Our first FP was a favorite, the safari.

Z81THX6.jpg

We got the front row, but it was one of the accessible vehicles so it was only a ½ row. So we were pretty squished together!

ybmWTjl.jpg
Ydotuqd.jpg

Our actual safari was pretty basic. The same animals you normally get to see.

5Hd1qok.jpg
e7Raw1h.jpg
4GgO4bR.jpg

Unfortunately, we had the worst driver ever. He basically was silent. Like would say, “Oh a hippo.” And that was it! If he didn’t see an animal, then nothing, just drove on by. I know some people can have bad days, but it was seriously ridiculous! I actually filled out a complaint afterwards with Disney. Luckily Mom had done a better safari two days earlier, but I’m sure other people had this being their first time.

One thing that would have been cool was that on the Savannah we saw lots of the baby giraffes walking around. And then one of the youngest babies went up to their mom and started nursing, right by the safari road! So the vehicles had a lot of stops and starts because they had to be careful and not disturb them. (Oh and I only knew about the situation because I could hear I through the driver’s radio. I’m sure no one else in the truck knew what was happening, just that we were stopped. A good driver would have actually told us what was going on...)

uTyMAJJ.jpg
KBTKxLc.jpg
w21KQjO.jpg

More animals

TvmtOSX.jpg
Mfp62QY.jpg
HN3DCE2.jpg
TlEhWeS.jpg
WSvahtI.jpg

Afterwards, headed over to Asia. Got some glimpses of the birds flying out for the tree of life bird show, so we waited to see them fly back (tip – stand on the bridge connecting Asia to Discovery Island; they fly straight up that path)!

Another photopass stop!

xfPGpNE.jpg
O99dJ70.jpg
fv2leh4.jpg

Stopped to check out the gibbons a bit (but I’ll be back to that).

AhjeL9v.jpg

And onto the Maharajah Jungle trek – super cool as always.

VGeNHtL.jpg

The tigers were out and about. Male tiger was in one enclosure (he was marking things) and very agitated. You could tell he knew it was time for food or something.

nkYxy7j.jpg
nQGKilk.jpg
1zTJwxk.jpg
JjWvIcA.jpg

The “baby” tigers playing around. I think this may have been the last time I saw them together (can’t remember in May if they were together or already separated).

nFrMUy9.jpg
AK7HOBx.jpg
prNvzTV.jpg

They were also feeding the birds in the aviary.

Ao0PEGh.jpg

During the Maharajah Jungle Trek I had hoped to get us to 2pm Nemo show, but I realized that would have required us really rushing thru jungle trek, so instead I modified Dinosaur FP and figured we’d do that, then the show at 3.

While leaving the Gibbons were very active and swinging along! Very cool to see!

b0smzuv.jpg
5B3ERyv.jpg

I had skipped getting an Expedition Everest FP because I knew Mom would not want to go on it. I considered doing it via Single Rider, but that line was very long, so I skipped it this trip ☹

mY529W4.jpg
nhPZ8hi.jpg
b5QMWLW.jpg

Walked towards Dinoland and passed by Nemo around 2:20 – wait, they are letting people in? I checked with CM and the show was actually at 2:30 not 2! So we were just in time. Mom looooved the show! She’s a big Dory fan. (I guess we didn’t take any photos in the show, but you’ve seen plenty of those!)

0v0pytb.jpg

Afterwards we rode Dinosaur. Not as good as Indiana Jones (which my mom does like – she goes on very few “thrill” rides and Indy is one of those). It’s always weird riding it for me, since the track is identical to Indy and I’m always aware of what would be happening at that moment instead of Dinosaur! (Aren’t I a good daughter by putting my mom in the end seat…)

xeD0fFx.jpg
Kx287LJ.jpg
o65TW7y.jpg

Mom not a big fan of that area in general. Did see some of the Dino bash characters out, but not Chip and Dale (who I still want a photo with but am not willing to wait in a long line for it!)

Headed to Tiffins. I was worried because we had a 3:25 reservation and it was already 3:40. Girl at front said they couldn’t seat us for lunch anymore. I started to get crestfallen… but she could seat us for dinner at 4. Um, ok, sure! (Weird that they make a distinction since it’s the same menu for either meal.) And still give us the RoL package. Sounds good to me!

QqhCrJP.jpg

We went to Nomad lounge and got drinks – misjudged timing, so actually drinks came out just when we were called to the front to be seated, but they understood and we paid quickly. Way too high A/C in Nomad Lounge (which seems to be an ongoing complaint for me). I got the Leaping Lizard and mom got the Ethiopia Pressed Pot.

KDkiaxS.jpg
yxW8eCn.jpg
w6Iq4au.jpg

Tiffins – lovely. Almost empty. Chatted with CM “earning her ears” but that was just because she moved back to hourly to be able to qualify for disney’s tuition program. Food delicious. Still my favorite restaurant on property! (But does anyone else get scared that it’s always too empty. And Disney could end up making changes which would impact the overall enjoyment of that restaurant just to increase attendance? I just hope Joe Rhode keeps his influence so they won’t touch it for a while!)

For appetizers, I got the cheese plate and mom got the charcuterie plate and we shared both. (I think in the end she ate most of the cheese and I ate most of the meat!)

izhoPMK.jpg
gMgNpWq.jpg

For entrees, I got the Surf and Turf (Grilled Wagyu Beef & Lobster Tail), while mom got the Tamarind Braised Short Rib. Both excellent!

FbPQlCm.jpg
1j0j0Ih.jpg

And for dessert, I got the chocolate dish and mom got the trio.

SvaFOAn.jpg
sFxWLjr.jpg
lBVMVY2.jpg

It was just an excellent meal overall and mom realized why I really loved that restaurant.

XvWWW2u.jpg
kohZM6Z.jpg
a64iSoB.jpg

After dinner, our last FP was for Flight of Passage. Made sure to ask for a different screen area (previously we were top center; this time we were bottom right). But we finished too early for lights on in Pandora unfortunately.

QM1o4KE.jpg
9HpjYT2.jpg

We walked over to the Rivers of Light theatre and I was a bit worried about timing. I thought show was at 6:45, and we arrived at 6:30. Turns out it wasn’t until 7. Arrived and they sent us to front row of second dining section. Sweet! Plenty of room to spread out (well they did fill in people, but we had an unobstructed view of the show).

xy197cM.jpg
OmqEnaD.jpg
0guKkvE.jpg
4P5VZQI.jpg
Bepakqh.jpg

Mom really loved it – colors and fountains and animals. (This was before they added IP and I haven't seen the new version yet).

wajNbuh.jpg
31Yu6wf.jpg
zrIIV09.jpg
j5jS5Fb.jpg
FC2b71n.jpg
CtZ0kUf.jpg
S9WKktJ.jpg
vdaM0mt.jpg
oSnS08B.jpg
MxZUq5I.jpg
EWNfjcs.jpg
b7ZFwfc.jpg
8fDqznq.jpg
YzhscbO.jpg

Left and stopped at Tree of Life. Got to watch 2 awakenings shows. Mom very impressed and I was happy to see a new one!

Re60BFD.jpg
Q8a0Mzt.jpg
TUOc9GI.jpg
HIBNKGJ.jpg

Then we did a lap of Pandora for the lighting effects.

4DDD6O1.jpg
JCGbKSu.jpg
KPcElLm.jpg
TlQkDE0.jpg
AAsHCng.jpg
LWsC4tO.jpg
r7PZ8GO.jpg
ziHY4FI.jpg
374i5u1.jpg
XTdOFpU.jpg

Yet another photopass!

EgLL0L7.jpg
O6uyfJL.jpg

On the way out, we stopped at the outpost (outside security) and I finally found an AK shirt I had been looking for. I added a backpack for good measure!

Headed back via the bus – actually watched the Star Wars fireworks thru the bus window (but apparently we didn’t take photos, though the bus reflections probably would have messed all those up).

Got to hotel, dropped off stuff, and then headed down for our second ADR of the night.

g2damEz.jpg

I knew Tiffins would be early and I figured this would be a good opportunity for Beaches and Cream (mom loves sundaes and I’d never been).

N5YK7PG.jpg

I think mom got Classic Sundae, vanilla, hot fudge, nuts. I got chocolate/vanilla, fudge and caramel, no nuts. They were nice. Though pretty basic options that we could probably do at home (I think mom may have been interested in No Way Jose, but I wouldn't have joined in since I don't like peanut butter). Though we were seated at the table next to the room divider, so the take out line was right next to us and it felt like people were hanging over us. Didn’t really like that part too much.

Ske7Qnf.jpg
IKAXheH.jpg

But then bed!

Sorry it wasn't a great safari :(

Sounds like a great lunch at Tiffins, glad your mom liked it!

Such a fun night seeing RoL, the awakenings, and Pandora at night!

OoO good idea booking B&C to end the day!

Sorry you had such a crummy safari, but so glad that your Mom experienced a good one earlier! And I love that you heard what was actually happening via the radio--that's how I am, too, always tuned into whatever's going on around me. My family would be oblivious and ask me, "how do you know?!" Duh. I pay attention LOL

The rest of your day at AK sounds just great, and love how you perfectly timed getting into Nemo and your RoL seats. I've never been to Tiffin's, but was looking forward to having it for lunch on our Backstage Magic Tour....in 20 days....that I will likely not be going on. 😭

Unfortunately, we had the worst driver ever. He basically was silent. Like would say, “Oh a hippo.” And that was it!
That is crazy! I can't even imagine what that would be like?

That poor kid in the back row!

Tiffins – lovely. Almost empty. Chatted with CM “earning her ears” but that was just because she moved back to hourly to be able to qualify for disney’s tuition program. Food delicious. Still my favorite restaurant on property! (But does anyone else get scared that it’s always too empty. And Disney could end up making changes which would impact the overall enjoyment of that restaurant just to increase attendance? I just hope Joe Rhode keeps his influence so they won’t touch it for a while!)
They need to throw 1 or 2 normal kid things on the menu! Every trip I think to book it and I look at the menu and then say nope because there is nothing there for Gwen to eat...

Mom really loved it – colors and fountains and animals. (This was before they added IP and I haven't seen the new version yet).
It is pretty... just kind of boring.

Though we were seated at the table next to the room divider, so the take out line was right next to us and it felt like people were hanging over us. Didn’t really like that part too much.
That is now gone with the renovation... the line is all outside.

Saw some of the chalk paintings, unfortunately the shadows didn't let the photos turn out well!
Yeah I couldn't get good photos either because of the sun but yours are pretty nice!
Caught the acrobats, which was fine, but not earth shattering (I think it was also hot and we were standing in the sun, so were happy to move on).
We've watched them the last 2 years and enjoy them but we like the painter Trevor Carlton who does a little show up there even better.
Almond Frangipane Cake layered with Raspberry Jam and Callebaut Belgian Chocolate, but I didn’t end up liking it
Yup didn't like this either! We were expecting something along the lines of an Italian rainbow cookie but it was way too dense and didn't have enough flavor. But then again out of all the festivals I think the food at the Arts is my least favorite although I do enjoy the festival itself.
Meanwhile, I checked out some of the chalk art on the walls!
Loved these!
so I surprised her with one to drive us to AK, and it was very lovely. Pricey, but worth it on occasion!
We used to enjoy taking the Minnie Vans when they were a flat rate. Still adorable to ride in and a nice treat now and then but I wish they weren't so expensive :(
Still my favorite restaurant on property!
I have such a hard time naming my favorite but Tiffins is definitely up there for sure :goodvibes Your meal looks great!

Hi Lesley!

I can't remember if I already joined in here, but when I opened this and "Jumped to new," it brought me to the last page which means I meant to join in already at some point!

Love your AK pics, and I really need to catch ROL at some point soon!

Trying to balance working from home and not having a proper work space, along with just trying to keep from going crazy! Oh well, I hope everyone is keeping safe and healthy!

It's tough out there!! Hope you are managing ok!!!

Loved your AK pics and I have to say I was really sad that we didn't get a chance to meet in March...I saw @chunkymonkey for a brief hello and photo and I wished our paths could have crossed!! With all the craziness going on now I'm happy everyone is home safe though!!

Your AK PP pics are amazing!! That's the one park we missed on our trip because we had to cut it short obvs. I had really wanted to see ROL and get some of those pics :( Your mom is really lucky to have had you for tour guide!! Sorry you got a crappy safari driver though..I wonder what Disney does with those complaints...hopefully gives him some tips for a better safari experience!!

I agree, Tiffin's is definitely one of my favorites, although I haven't been in a while ,go figure. Been going to Nomad's more often though. I think the high prices definitely impacts the attendance and also maybe some people are scared of the menu? Not sure but it's always delicious and I'd hate to see anything change it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter