This is Us- Season four

I didn't add this during Rebecca's earlier episode. But their research for the writing/dementia storyline is well done.

I took that exact standardized memory test, that Rebecca took.

I took it after I had loading doses/b12 injections and scored 30/30 on it. You can get 26/30 and still be in the normal range. I annoyed my doctor by showing no issues, after openly telling her that I was struggling cognitively. But I had a ton of issues before my b12 deficiency was found, memory - word-finding - editing - stumbling on words - blanking out in the middle of a thought. Some things return for me.

****So I yet again urge everyone here to help their loved ones and themselves and learn about pernicious anemia/b12 deficiency. I know I have already posted on this thread, but just another reminder. Some things are irreversible over time.****

I wept when I finished the test thinking how awful it must be taking it for many, when it is clear something isn't right. The intense vulnerability of that moment.

I liked this episode least of the last 3. I expected to get more information. It seems like they gave us more in Kevin and Randall's episodes.

I also expected to have more closure with the Mark thing, but I loved the way they filmed the story sequence, so that made up for it for me. (But it kind of broke my heart that all she wanted was her mom. And the whole "the prince disappeared" line was waaaaaay too prophetic.)

I agree Rebecca had a great line with the "You're fat, I'm ancient..." thing! It will be much quoted. I also laughed hard at "Mom, are you on the drugs?"

I don't know what to think about the Kate and Toby thing. I'm on her side, but I can also he he just might be getting there, and I'd for her to give up right before he was going to come through.

Since Rebecca did tell Kate what's going on (I thought for a bit that first attempt was going to be the only one) I'm definitely wondering now what the rift between Randall and the twins is going to be about.

I didn’t like the episode. That’s also because I can’t stand adult Kate. As usual, she did not disappoint. She needs Toby to be A, B, C and D. Toby just needs her to be a halfway decent human being.

I don't know what to think about the Kate and Toby thing. I'm on her side, but I can also he he just might be getting there, and I'd for her to give up right before he was going to come through.

I agree. He might just need more time. I didn't find it shocking that one parent might need longer to process and adapt to such a big life adjustment.

I thought it was a good episode, but very anticlimactic. With Randall and Kevin's episodes, we got some answers about the intruder/Randalls anxiety and about why Sophie was calling. With this episode, we didn't get any answers about the stuff going on with Kate.

I think part of what will be Kate's backstory is that he said I don't want to look at your fat face at a time in her life when she wasn't fat. I'm guessing that here she thinks she isn't fat, yet my boyfriend just said I was, which will probably lead her into the extreme overeating. I think we got a good glimpse into how abusive he is. In the coming attractions you see he has locked her outside the cabin in the freezing cold. Who knows what the heck set him off, but probably something stupid like when he kicked her out of the car.

I agree that she shouldn't be so hard on Toby. I get he should be more supportive of their son's situation, but Toby has a lot of issues that she is well aware of. I think Toby is trying his best and I think he will give his best, but just needs a little extra time and understanding.

I didn’t like the episode. That’s also because I can’t stand adult Kate. As usual, she did not disappoint. She needs Toby to be A, B, C and D. Toby just needs her to be a halfway decent human being.

I didn't like this episode either. I kind of can't stand Kate's character. She is way too needy. Toby isn't doing anything wrong and the way she is behaving, you would think he is outright neglecting his child. The way she wasn't sure she could leave the baby with him for a weekend....come on. He's not an addict or anything. WTH?

I also thought the story of the controlling boyfriend would have had much more closure. Why leave it hanging AGAIN? I hate when shows do this just to keep people on edge. They know we are going to tune in next week, just wrap things up a bit more each episode.

I didn't like this episode either. I kind of can't stand Kate's character. She is way too needy. Toby isn't doing anything wrong and the way she is behaving, you would think he is outright neglecting his child. The way she wasn't sure she could leave the baby with him for a weekend....come on. He's not an addict or anything. WTH?

I also thought the story of the controlling boyfriend would have had much more closure. Why leave it hanging AGAIN? I hate when shows do this just to keep people on edge. They know we are going to tune in next week, just wrap things up a bit more each episode.

She told him he needs to be a better father. Then she gets mad when he wants to spend time with the kid.

She gets mad because they're so supposed to lose weight together. She refuses to lose weight. He loses weight. It's his fault because she won't lose weight.

She told him he needs to be a better father. Then she gets mad when he wants to spend time with the kid.

She gets mad because they're so supposed to lose weight together. She refuses to lose weight. He loses weight. It's his fault because she won't lose weight.

She did not get mad at him for wanting to spend time with his kid. She was worried about leaving her baby and it being overwhelming to him.

Fatherless daughters are not always rational or kind or logical. Be glad you don’t know what it’s like firsthand.

He lied to her about the gym. He lied about switching gyms. She has every right to feel paranoid or suspicious. She has self esteem issues which stem from feeling insignificant next to her beautiful and thin mother. She lost her father, her champion. She had a verbally abusive boyfriend. Now she has a blind child and a troubled marriage. She is not innocent, but I think your assessment is unnecessarily cruel.

She did not get mad at him for wanting to spend time with his kid. She was worried about leaving her baby and it being overwhelming to him.

Fatherless daughters are not always rational or kind or logical. Be glad you don’t know what it’s like firsthand.

He lied to her about the gym. He lied about switching gyms. She has every right to feel paranoid or suspicious. She has self esteem issues which stem from feeling insignificant next to her beautiful and thin mother. She lost her father, her champion. She had a verbally abusive boyfriend. Now she has a blind child and a troubled marriage. She is not innocent, but I think your assessment is unnecessarily cruel.

Toby lied about the gym because she obviously has had no desire to actually maintain proper diet and exercise throughout this entire series. As a result, she's morbidly obese which is causing her self-esteem issues. Her marriage is troubled because she's a very selfish person and has been since the beginning. It's not Rebecca's fault that she is prettier than her. That's part of life. I don't look like Ryan Gossling but that doesn't mean it's his fault. So far, Mark hasn't done anything other than be a jerk and it's apparently obvious that she should have left him. We'll see what else happens but so far, it's just another self-inflicted wound that she also blames on her mother because her mother is better looking than her. Everything is always someone else's fault.

I have no sympathy for her.

Toby lied about the gym because she obviously has had no desire to actually maintain proper diet and exercise throughout this entire series. As a result, she's morbidly obese which is causing her self-esteem issues. Her marriage is troubled because she's a very selfish person and has been since the beginning. It's not Rebecca's fault that she is prettier than her. That's part of life. I don't look like Ryan Gossling but that doesn't mean it's his fault. So far, Mark hasn't done anything other than be a jerk and it's apparently obvious that she should have left him. We'll see what else happens but so far, it's just another self-inflicted wound that she also blames on her mother because her mother is better looking than her. Everything is always someone else's fault.

I have no sympathy for her.

Like I said. Cruel.

Just a side note, I find it cool that Rebecca wanted to be a singer, but was told she is only Pittsburgh good, Her daughter who also has a great voice, has and still is flirting with the ideal of making it as a singer. But neither do, how ever Kates blind son , is the one who becomes world famous, I hope they touch back on that future story line

I watched this episode with my mom and holy awkward.

I relate a LOT to Kate. In a lot of ways. My relationship with her mom is the way my relationship is with my mom in a lot of ways. The scene in the pool was especially hard to watch with her sitting beside me.

It’s interesting that Rebecca told Kate about her memory issues because that makes the flash forward more confusing. Maybe Rebecca isn’t the reason Kevin and Randall aren’t talking.

Now on to the Masked Singer so I can discuss it on my other thread LOL

ETA- agree with everyone who said an unstable person can turn on a dime, just like what’s his name did in the car.

I am happily married, but I’d be ok if he knocked on my door one day..

HA!
:laughing: Sorry - he's apparently not interested in being anybody's hall-pass.

In other rather random news, I've just finished binging Season 3 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Sterling K Brown's character on that show is such a villain :furious: I'm pretty sure I won't be able to help holding it against Randall Pearson.

:laughing: Sorry - he's apparently not interested in being anybody's hall-pass.

In other rather random news, I've just finished binging Season 3 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Sterling K Brown's character on that show is such a villain :furious: I'm pretty sure I won't be able to help holding it against Randall Pearson.

Oh I was so mad at him on Maisel. I am not used to him being a jerk.

I mean while I think they're both really struggling with different things; it does seem that Toby has decided to kinda just fully focus on himself (all his time at the gym etc.) and avoiding being around Kate and Jack because it's easier than dealing with his feelings. I can see why Kate would have an issue with that. I also don't think it's very uncommon for a mom (probably even moreso of a mom with a child with special needs who has been their main caregiver since they've been born) to be a little hesitant or ask for some reassurance when dad asks to keep the child by himself and for her to be gone...probably the first time she's left him overnight and they're not in a great place. I'm glad Toby wants to keep him and think it'll be good for all of them, but again I see know fault in how she reacted.

Last edited:

Agree 100%... I think some perspectives are skewed if things hit close to home where there's resentment.
I agree that neither of them are perfect, but I also see them both as pretty darn decent/good ppl. They're just struggling and focused on different parts of their lives currently.

Yes, this exactly! We know what is wrong with Mark, but I wanted it to be a case of what was wrong with Mark. - I wanted to see her get out of that. Because:

ETA- agree with everyone who said an unstable person can turn on a dime, just like what’s his name did in the car.

What he's doing is way more than being a "jerk". - He's downright scary! And Kate has been staying in that situation because she thinks she can't do any better. :(

Sorry I’m late to the party on this, but I was in WDW last week and am finally catching up on my shows.

The “fat face” comment was not the only comment Marc made about Kate’s weight in the episode. He also made the “are you sure you want to eat that?” comment when they were at work. He justified it with “You’ve been working so hard on your diet.” But with verbal/emotional abuse it’s really those subtle digs that wear you down. Maybe I’m more sensitive to it because those exact words were a breaking point for me in my teen years. It’s probably not the first time he’s made those comments. We don’t know when/why she started dieting. And when they were fighting on the phone she says “I hate it when you do this.” not “I hate that you’re mad,” or “I hate that you’re doing this.”

I can't remember the earlier scene with Kate and Rebecca finding his picture very well, so I may be way off on this. But when Rebecca said she wished she had seen it sooner, or something to that effect, doesn't Kate respond 'me too'? And not in a spiteful/mad at her mom way, but in a sad/painful memory way? Maybe he just hurt or kill/attempt to kill himself in front of young Kate? Just a thought.

I also didn't enjoy this episode. Hopefully tonight's episode will have us moving forward with the plot and not just re-living the same two days over and over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter