Thoughts about Hotel Parking Fees - Renting cars

Rich M

DIS Veteran
Is anyone who normally rents a car and stays onsite is the new fee's making you think about going on MDE instead? I personally love renting a car and driving myself around but the longer you stay the harder it is going to be.

I have a walking disability which makes standing in long lines for a bus or standing on a lurching bus very difficult.
The first time we rented a car, it was so much more enjoyable to be able to come and go as we needed to.
It would be very difficult to go back to waiting for and standing on a crowded bus again.
We've read about getting much larger and cheaper rooms off property so may look into that for our next trip.

I have a walking disability which makes standing in long lines for a bus or standing on a lurching bus very difficult.
The first time we rented a car, it was so much more enjoyable to be able to come and go as we needed to.
It would be very difficult to go back to waiting for and standing on a crowded bus again.
We've read about getting much larger and cheaper rooms off property so may look into that for our next trip.

I agree that it would be difficult to not have a car but it might be more difficult for me to go outside the bubble

I don’t consider using pretty greyhound buses from the airport, or city buses around property, to be in any sort of bubble.

Going off property gets me things I want and enjoy.

I am the associate on our Dvc account, so it’s up to the CM working as to whether I’d get charged when Dh isn’t on the trip.

I’m pretty irked, to be honest.

I don’t consider using pretty greyhound buses from the airport, or city buses around property, to be in any sort of bubble.

Going off property gets me things I want and enjoy.

I am the associate on our Dvc account, so it’s up to the CM working as to whether I’d get charged when Dh isn’t on the trip.

I’m pretty irked, to be honest.

I agree

In general - it is raising the price of a Disney vacation for me - by a measurable amount as I frequently rent a car - and I don't seem to be getting any measurable benefit from it - so it's quite irksome to me. It's one of the reasons I don't stay at Universal resorts. It will encourage more off-site stays for me.

I hope they get enough angry folks they cancel the idea - but I realize that is highly doubtful. It's just one more way for them to increase revenue.

I’m dvc, but certainly know we could be next. If it comes to charging us in the future, I’ll still rent, but will be spending less money eating there. It will have to balance out for us. But wonder, what’s next? We are not happy with these misdirected changes and charges.

Yes, the new parking rates are making me rethink my plans. For a 6 day trip (my usual time) the parking fee adds $120 to my trip. I'm booked for a 7 night in Sept so taking DME will save me about $290.

I'm not as disciplined as others; I know I would SAY I'll spend $120 less on eating but then still want that Dole Whip and the Sampling of Mom's Favorites WITH Grandpa's Crab Cakes and the Bhaktapur Duck... So moving off property is a very real option. Many great and less expensive hotels that offer free parking. Looking at options for a 5 day in December I see I can save $450 to $550 off site. then I can eat what I love and still save money.

These parking fees are pure profit for Disney as they are not adding any benefit to the parking as manned entry points are already in place, grounds keeping and maintenance is already in place. Disney is just another blood sucking conglomerate finding ways to position hidden costs into your vacation. This is no better than airlines charging baggage fees. They are finding ways to force people to use their transportation system especially their new Minnie Van service.

These parking fees are pure profit for Disney as they are not adding any benefit to the parking as manned entry points are already in place, grounds keeping and maintenance is already in place. Disney is just another blood sucking conglomerate finding ways to position hidden costs into your vacation. This is no better than airlines charging baggage fees. They are finding ways to force people to use their transportation system especially their new Minnie Van service.

Tell us how you really feel. :goodvibes

My understanding is that those with disability parking tags are exempt from the resort parking fees.

Bill From PA

Have never stayed on site before. Certainly won't ever stay on site now. Accommodations are always cheaper (and bigger) off site. So not only am I saving that money, I'm now saving an incredulous parking fee too.

Yes, the new parking rates are making me rethink my plans. For a 6 day trip (my usual time) the parking fee adds $120 to my trip. I'm booked for a 7 night in Sept so taking DME will save me about $290.
No added cost of your trip is already booked.

I own DVC, I have an AP, my dd is a WDW CM and lives about 20 mins from WDW. I never used to rent a car, but lately, it's made more sense for me...I'm able to meet up with her, or go to her apt if I want. Not having a car limits what I can do, and where I can go. I've started looking at off-site resorts. Yes, most charge a resort fee....anywhere from $10-30 a day. Some charge for parking, others don't. I can find a nice resort, for under $100 a night, that charges a $10 resort fee, no parking fee. I park at my door, the room is usually larger with better amenities, especially better than the value resorts. Yes, I lose the ability to make FPs at the 60 day mark. I can live with that...I go often enough that I just don't care. Same with EMHs.
I figure Disney is entitled to charge anything they want, for any perk or benefit they want. It's up to me to decide whether or not it's worth it to me to pay it. I think tiered parking charges are outrageous....the deluxe lots are a longer walk in most cases. And smaller. It's also really annoying that those who aren't paying to stay in a resort get to drive there and park, free. So, they can eat breakfast there, and then leave their car all day while they head off to a park. I would have thought it would have made sense to charge them to park instead of those staying at the resort. But, that wouldn't bring in nearly as much money.
Then, I have to laugh at those who say 'well, don't go' or 'just take DME'. If Disney can so easily institute a parking charge, what's to stop them from dropping in a resort fee? After all...it is the 'industry standard'.
For me? It's really the principal. Disney has always allowed us to park free. To just up and change it is crazy and insulting to the guests. Perhaps it would have been a better idea to start charging resort guests to park at the parks, not the resorts!

Supposedly you won't have to pay to park if you are disabled.

I used to always rent a car. The rates have gone up so much, I haven’t on my last few trips, used Magical Express. Im DVC so no parking fee when staying DVC but unless the car rental rates come down I will not rent.

Is anyone who normally rents a car and stays onsite is the new fee's making you think about going on MDE instead? I personally love renting a car and driving myself around but the longer you stay the harder it is going to be.
We always rent a vehicle when in Florida since the Theme parks are not the only reason that we visit.
So, if anything, the new resort parking fees are pushing me even more toward staying offsite.
It used to be that the included parking at resorts and parks offset some of the higher costs of staying onsite.
Now that they are starting to take that way, offsite is becoming even more attractive/cost effective for our stays in the area.

I was born in Southern California and spent most of my adult life in Texas or California - two places where a car is pretty essential. So it's in my DNA to have a car. I like to be able to go to grocery store (as many times as I want to), drug store, outlet malls, favorite offsite restaurants, etc. Now as a retiree I live about a 9-10 hour drive from WDW so it's much easier to drive than to fly and only takes a little longer door to door than flying.

I used to drive to the parks, but now that I need an ECV I find it easier to use the buses. That may change when we get a lift for our new van.

I've owned DVC for about 15 years. I've stayed off site when we made a last minute trip and couldn't get a DVC room for a day or two. I used to stay offsite a lot before DVC. Doesn't bother me at all.

I realize that the current parking fees will not affect me. One because I have DVC and two because I have a state issued handicap parking tag. Not sure if these charges would change my behavior or not. The last time I stayed onsite prior to DVC I stayed at AKL (Savannah view) for $109 and at a value for $49. I can't remember what I paid for a moderate. So today's room fees would floor me with or without parking.

Would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath. These poor kids need to work two jobs in order to live down there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter