Thoughts and impressions changing after stay

groomsy

Earning My Ears
Last year, we split our vacation across the Polynesian and the Art of Animation. We had stayed at AOA the year prior and my son loves Cars, so we felt obligated to stay there again. We also wanted to experience a deluxe resort. We ended up getting a deluxe studio. At the time, I didn’t realize these were the DVC rooms.

While staying at the Poly, my opinion of it was neutral. I appreciated the monorail and the pool. However, we had a few problems with the room (water issues that took maintenance a few hours to address, a gnat issue in our shower) that, coupled with the higher price tag of a deluxe resort, somewhat soured my experience.

At the end of our trip, and in the months following, my opinions and feelings toward the Poly have softened. In addition to the monorail and pool, I’m now fondly remembering the water parade, watching the fireworks from the beach, the food, etc.

I have been considering a DVC purchase for a few months, doing research on the program. I’m at the point where I am getting serious about purchasing through resale. Additionally, the Poly is currently our number one choice.

I’m curious: have any of you found your opinions/impressions change after an initial neutral or negative experience? If this did happen with a resort that ended up becoming your home resort, I would love to hear about it.

Last year, we split our vacation across the Polynesian and the Art of Animation. We had stayed at AOA the year prior and my son loves Cars, so we felt obligated to stay there again. We also wanted to experience a deluxe resort. We ended up getting a deluxe studio. At the time, I didn’t realize these were the DVC rooms.

While staying at the Poly, my opinion of it was neutral. I appreciated the monorail and the pool. However, we had a few problems with the room (water issues that took maintenance a few hours to address, a gnat issue in our shower) that, coupled with the higher price tag of a deluxe resort, somewhat soured my experience.

At the end of our trip, and in the months following, my opinions and feelings toward the Poly have softened. In addition to the monorail and pool, I’m now fondly remembering the water parade, watching the fireworks from the beach, the food, etc.

I have been considering a DVC purchase for a few months, doing research on the program. I’m at the point where I am getting serious about purchasing through resale. Additionally, the Poly is currently our number one choice.

I’m curious: have any of you found your opinions/impressions change after an initial neutral or negative experience? If this did happen with a resort that ended up becoming your home resort, I would love to hear about it.

Not so much negative while staying there ,but more of a preconceived notion of what I thought the resort was going to be ,to what it actually was.

In my case, we thought that we'd never ever stay in GF, for it was too stuffy, and just not for us.
Well 3 years ago we were able to secure 3 nights in a DVC studio, just following a Grand family gathering in Puerto Rico. Low n behold our flight was cancelled flying into MCO, so I had to switch on the fly & come in Fort Lauderdale, and then rent a car to drive the 4 hours to WDW. During this drive we found out that WDW was trying to reach us and we had no idea why.

When we arrived they told us that we werent in the DVC bldg, & to check in at the main bldg.
Fortunate for us they put us in the only suite on the ground level of the Sago Key bldg. (Cape Coral Suite). Now this mightve swayed our decision, but TBH even w/out this monster room/suite we wouldve enjoyed this resort in a closet...

From some of the most friendliest CMs to the vast array of food options, to the monorail, to the nice pools. Never once did we not feel like we were outta place......
For all these years we avoided it, and we could've enjoyed instead... :confused3

I stayed at the Poly in 1996, hated it. Felt dark and musty. GF and BC was more my preference. Bought BWV in 1999, love it. When Poly DVC opened, I booked it to try it out. Loved it! Have stayed there twice more.

Thank you for your feedback!

I like the "preconceived notion" aspect. I'm honestly not sure what I expected going into our first stay at the Poly. After our stay though, I just keep thinking back to the location, food, style, pool. I also think we missed out on enjoying the resort more too, since we were going to a park every day during our stay. I'm looking forward to non-park days when we go back, to really enjoy the resort.

Thank you for your feedback!

I like the "preconceived notion" aspect. I'm honestly not sure what I expected going into our first stay at the Poly. After our stay though, I just keep thinking back to the location, food, style, pool. I also think we missed out on enjoying the resort more too, since we were going to a park every day during our stay. I'm looking forward to non-park days when we go back, to really enjoy the resort.
I was loving the poly when we stayed there. Albeit for only 4 days, but it rained twice and the only negative was that it was outside walks to the main house in the rain...Which could happen at other resorts too I know, but honestly this place is top 2 of my fav's...Especially the way the DVC resort studios are laid out.

My DD dreamed of staying at the Poly. When she became a CM we took full advantage of the discount and did a week stay in a studio. Now for some backstory: we've stayed at all levels of resort over the years. We we so excited to stay at POLY. We weren't very happy with the room. It was ok. But not very roomy. The pool is nice, but overall it was just ok. We then stayed at AOA cars suite. We felt that had much more room to spread out. Granted being on the monorail was awesome! But I'd never opt to stay there again. Too many other faves out there

Before we purchased our DVC, I was 100% sure we would buy at Poly. I grew up going to the Poly (in the 70s, 80s and early 90s), and I loved everything about it.

I was heartbroken when I learned that Poly wouldn't have any 1 or 2 bedroom units. My dreams of owning Poly DVC were crushed. DH and I had two kids. There was no way we were going to stay in studios with them as they grew. Enter BLT.

I don't care for modern decor. I was hesitant to consider buying DVC at BLT, but the walk to MK and the extra bathroom in the 1 and 2 bedrooms had me thinking. After careful thought and examining all available DVC resorts, we settled on BLT.

I've been so happy with our purchase. I still don't care for the decor, but it's not "in your face" modern. And I absolutely love the walk to MK and the extra bathroom! With two teens we either stay in a 1 or 2 bedroom unit. To me, BLT is the best for people who choose that option. It's also one of the best values when you factor in price per point, expiration date and maintenance fees.

If you are thinking of buying resale, I'd do lots of research and wait a few more months. I think prices are really going to drop.

Our initial impression of OKW, driving through was negative. We weren't yet DVC members but had been offered a special rate to "try it out". We didn't take it because we didn't know much, but we drove through while we were there and agreed that NOT staying there had been the right decision. Fast-forward a few years to after we joined (at another resort) and decided to extend our stay an extra night. Unfortunately (we thought) OKW was the only resort available, so we begrudgingly stayed there. The next morning of our stay, DH decided that OKW was the ONLY resort he wanted to stay at from now on, and we went home, sold our points and bought at OKW. He wanted to know that his yearly dues would now go to the resort he loved.
BTW, I've stayed once at Poly DVC-didn't really like it while I was there, 6 months later, the memory's no better. For one thing, I guess the theming just isn't for me.

Yes, I did not like BWV at all. First visit was pre-major refurbishment and the room was well worn. The sofa bed was horrible, the walk was crazy long, and the quick service was non existent compare to other resorts. I gave it another shot and it was amazing. Now it’s a top 3 favorite. The difference was changing my expectations. I realized there is a big difference in the “hotel” side of a resort and the timeshare side. I learned better routes and shortcuts, and planned better food options for in-room cooking.

My perspective is probably a little different as it relates to your question. I have always loved Grand Floridian and had stayed in the hotel a few times. When I decided I wanted to buy DVC, I never even considered other resorts and bought VGF direct from Disney. This was before I found these forums or ever watched an episode of the DVC show which I actually find pretty informative. While I wouldn't change where I bought, I would definitely change how I went about it. Some may feel differently, but if I had it to do over again, I'd buy a direct contract with Disney but at whatever the cheapest resort is at the moment (considering cost of points, annual dues, expiration date) and for the minimum number of points to get the "blue card."

I would then have bought VGF via resale. I also didn't have a very good appreciation at the time about booking windows and the difference between 7 months and 11 months, but that can make a big difference for certain resorts (including VGF which is near impossible to get at 7 months). If you tend to book vacations 7 months or less in advance, I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference what is technically your "home resort" so I'd probably buy more points at a cheaper resort because at the 7 month window, you can book at any resort. Needless to say, I was a bit clueless when it came to DVC and I just knew I wanted to buy in. There's a forum about purchasing so I won't belabor this too much. My only advice is to do plenty of research before purchasing and you can save thousands.

As for Poly, I have only stayed on the hotel side a few years ago and found it dated relative to the GF yet still in the same price range which didn't make sense to me. Oddly enough, we were supposed to be starting a stay at DVC Poly today 😕 . Needless to say, we've rescheduled and are supposed to be staying there in September. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised with the DVC rooms. Anyway, hope this is somewhat helpful!

We purchased BWV in 2009--mainly due to location and ascetics (and from reading here on the Dis.)

It was really a leap into the unknown because we had always been off-site and never stayed on Disney property.

Our first few trips were BWV, AK, BLT and a couple short stays at SSR and OKW(which we didn't really like). At first we preferred those larger hotels--our kids were younger then, and it just was more convenient--hallways were preferable and food was closer. However, we have totally flipped in the last 3-4 years. Our favorites are now OKW and SSR and we don't like the big resorts as well. We prefer our privacy, parking in front of our villa, and being peacefully tucked away. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter