Thoughts on next summer

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
I fully understand that anything based on today is a huge shot in the dark, nothing more than a mere guess.

But...where do you think we'll be next summer with Covid. Especially travel wise?

Do you think we will be in a place where it will be okay to travel across the country? Do you think you will feel okay with a trip like that by next summer?

I think we will probably be at about the same place. Dr Tam said next summer for the vaccine. It will take time to roll out. Hopefully, the end will be in sight by next summer, though.

I’m hoping for travel November 2021.

I'm hoping to be able to travel out of province, within Canada but I'm not sure.

We were supposed to be going to the U.S. in June for a dearly loved relative's 90th birthday party. Of course that didn't happen. And now it is sad to think we may not be able to visit him again. When I start to think about that sort of thing, it makes me so sad and I know there are others who are in much more difficult situations with loved ones that they cannot see.

I’m hopeful things will be more back to normal. I know they say next summer for a vaccine but hopefully one will start rolling out early spring. Also they have been making some good progress on treatments as well.

We have a Disney trip booked for May (to replace our cancelled March trip) but I know we may have to postpone again. Everything booked can be changed. But hopefully we will be get to go by next summer.

I’m hopeful things will be more back to normal. I know they say next summer for a vaccine but hopefully one will start rolling out early spring. Also they have been making some good progress on treatments as well.

We have a Disney trip booked for May (to replace our cancelled March trip) but I know we may have to postpone again. Everything booked can be changed. But hopefully we will be get to go by next summer.
I have my fingers crossed for May too. I’m going to book my dvc, knowing I can cancel.

I hope we can travel but....unless their is a vax I dont see my DW and I making a trip until that time. Always nice to plan and dream though...gets me through the crappy times.

I am comfortable with interprovincial travel now. Obviously the restrictions of each province should be observed. I know it’s different in the maritimes, but we aren’t being asked to not travel outside our province anymore. If I am comfortable with the mask requirements, and social distancing measure of a destination I would consider travel there . I don’t think a vaccine will be a cure all, or a quick fix and I don’t think we will be in a much different position next summer than we are now.

So to answer your question I would be comfortable with that now with the same precautions I am taking at home. On a personal level I have decided to take more risks as our tourism economy is being decimated . I want to see safe and careful reopening where possible and I will support that . People need their livelihoods .

As for the US... I can’t even picture it right now. I am disgusted with the current state of affairs .. so I will wait and see how a number of things play out before I consider it. I think Canada really needs our tourism dollars right now.

I hope to plan a trip for next summer, likely within Canada though. I'm hoping for the US by early 2022 but we'll see on that! I may change cruise to all inclusive.

I usually go to Ottawa each summer for a couple of days to see my sister and go to Bluesfest. This year we had been planning to meet in Vegas instead but of course Covid threw that plan right out the window. I'll very likely fly to see her next year but travel to the US is going to be very iffy for a while.

When the world came to an end in the middle of March, we were days away from flying to Miami for a cruise, I spent my birthday canceling a trip that I had been planning for a year. :sad: Now we have NCL and United airline credits that we have no idea when we can use them, which reminds me that I will have to call United soon to get an extension on the credits, there is no way we are going to be in any position to fly by December which is when the credits expire.

edited to add: It seems as though United is not as dumb as I thought they would be, they have already extended the book by date to Dec 2021 instead of Dec 2020

Last edited:
I have a feeling we will be in the same boat next summer. I do not hold up much hope to feel safe to travel into the US. I guess much of international travel will depend on what they find out about the virus. I would LOVE nothing more than to maybe take a late winter ( March - April ) trip to Mexico...maybe. I have seen a few youtube videos on the safety precautions at the all inclusives...and I feel that would be sooo much safer than travelling to the US. But then our government would have to lift the level 4 travel ban and the 14 day quaratine as well for us to do that.

We did talk the other night about if the situation is similar to what it is now, we would love to travel east...and visit the Toronto, Niagara Falls, Ottawa areas and other touristy things there. We have never been there ( except for landing at airports ) and would love to see that part of the country. We want to travel, and that part of the country is on our bucket list, so it might be a good time to start. Now if we could find decent priced flights across the country, that would make us even happier. It is sad that I can find flights into the US ( even on the eastern side ) for cheaper than flying across our own country. How sad is that!!!!! It would boost tourism in Canada if flights were cheaper :sad1:

We are rescheduling our Atlantis trip to June 30-July 7, hopefully that will be a go. Only need to connect flights in TO or Montreal.

WDW will be December 2021, so hopeful about that one as well.

I have a feeling we will be in the same boat next summer. I do not hold up much hope to feel safe to travel into the US. I guess much of international travel will depend on what they find out about the virus. I would LOVE nothing more than to maybe take a late winter ( March - April ) trip to Mexico...maybe. I have seen a few youtube videos on the safety precautions at the all inclusives...and I feel that would be sooo much safer than travelling to the US. But then our government would have to lift the level 4 travel ban and the 14 day quaratine as well for us to do that.

We did talk the other night about if the situation is similar to what it is now, we would love to travel east...and visit the Toronto, Niagara Falls, Ottawa areas and other touristy things there. We have never been there ( except for landing at airports ) and would love to see that part of the country. We want to travel, and that part of the country is on our bucket list, so it might be a good time to start. Now if we could find decent priced flights across the country, that would make us even happier. It is sad that I can find flights into the US ( even on the eastern side ) for cheaper than flying across our own country. How sad is that!!!!! It would boost tourism in Canada if flights were cheaper :sad1:
Agree, Canadian domestic flights are at ridiculous prices. You can fly to Europe cheaper.
We got back from Puerto Vallarta just before the shut down. A friend lives there, he said Covid is really bad right now. I don’t know how safe an all inclusive would be as all the staff live out in the community. They can clean and sanitize all they want. But if they’re coming into the resort with the virus it won’t be good.

We were hoping to do France/Italy May 2021 (to replace our France/Med cruise trip that was supposed to happen in May 2020), but I'm starting to think that won't happen. Now, I'm just hoping we can do a trip in the maritimes next summer without a 2 week quarantine (we're in Ontario).

We got back from Puerto Vallarta just before the shut down. A friend lives there, he said Covid is really bad right now. I don’t know how safe an all inclusive would be as all the staff live out in the community. They can clean and sanitize all they want. But if they’re coming into the resort with the virus it won’t be good.
This just makes me sad :sad::sad::sad: I am hoping that by Jan 2022 I will be able to sit on a beach with a fabulous drink and celebrate my 50th in the nice hot climate rather than freezing my **** off here in Northern Alberta. I will be very disappointed if this virus gets in the way of how I have been dreaming of how to spend my 50th for at least 5 years. I have been planning it in my head for years now!!!!

This just makes me sad :sad::sad::sad: I am hoping that by Jan 2022 I will be able to sit on a beach with a fabulous drink and celebrate my 50th in the nice hot climate rather than freezing my **** off here in Northern Alberta. I will be very disappointed if this virus gets in the way of how I have been dreaming of how to spend my 50th for at least 5 years. I have been planning it in my head for years now!!!!

I'm also turning *gulp* 50 in 2022 and had just convinced my sister to join us at DL in March 2022 to celebrate. I can only hope that the trip will actually happen! I turned 40 in DL and really wanted to be there for my 50th as well.

I'm also turning *gulp* 50 in 2022 and had just convinced my sister to join us at DL in March 2022 to celebrate. I can only hope that the trip will actually happen! I turned 40 in DL and really wanted to be there for my 50th as well.
I was also hoping to do a mother/DD trip to Disney and do one of the festivals that they have in the spring or fall as part of my " 50 yr celebrations " I still have 2 of those Am tickets that have no expiration date on when to use them. I had promised that one was hers. I guess the situation has about 20 - 24 months to get itself sorted out so that we can travel safely there.

Hopefully by 2022 things will be better! Isn’t it crazy? Border closure as expected just got extended again to Sept 21. I know my Nov/Dec Universal trip is a no go. I just haven’t had the heart to officially cancel yet. And now find myself wondering if Aug 2021 will be a go. Who would have thought this would happen. Ugh

Hopefully by 2022 things will be better! Isn’t it crazy? Border closure as expected just got extended again to Sept 21. I know my Nov/Dec Universal trip is a no go. I just haven’t had the heart to officially cancel yet. And now find myself wondering if Aug 2021 will be a go. Who would have thought this would happen. Ugh

As I was walking over to Timmies to get some coffee, while wearing my mask, it hit me that this is so surreal. Less than 6 months ago things were so different... I had plans for this summer, spending a lot of it at the water park which hasn't even been able to open this year. I know my December cruises are done for, just haven't official cancelled yet. I will just not PIF I guess. :( And looking to book something, anything, for the future but when? Is 2022 going to be ok? Should I hope to plan for 2023 instead? Crazy times...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter