Thoughts on next summer

Really hope travelling is ok next summer. We have a cruise booked for end of Aug 2021. But one additional hurdle we have is our son's passport expires in the new year and so the longer they keep the passport renewals closed, the bigger the backlog. I think they are starting to open but for travel coming up. (And he'll need a new passport either as a child, or as of end of April, an adult one)

For this summer, we should have been leaving for WDW end of the month followed by a cruise. So sad. Instead, we are planning on just going to a local Ontario resort. No comparison though.
Me too! We rebooked our trip for next Aug 2021 so have my fingers crossed.

I’m going to be booking dvc for May 2021, so I’m hoping late spring. I’m not sure if the vaccine will be rolled out by then though.

The way that Covid seems to come in waves makes me worry that planning any trip (prior to a vaccine) is a risky prospect.
We will not plan/book a visit south until things are at least stabilized. Who knows what next year will bring?

We have a trip booked for the end of January. It's supposed to be our first trip as DVC members, and for my second son's first birthday. So much of his first year is already going to be so different than what we expected (we were supposed to be in Brazil right now for my family to meet him and have his baptism). I'm trying to be optimistic that he'll be able to have his first birthday at Disney, just like his big brother.

Yeah, I’m not there. Thoughts of being old enough to join the AARP and signing up for GreyPower Insurance, all while eating early-bird dinner specials at 4:30 in the afternoon, don’t make me feel great about leaving my 40’s behind. Mid-life crisis here I come...

Hmm, I just turned 50 in June and certainly do none of those things:)

Attachments

• Concert in park.jpg
    Concert in park.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 6
Really hope travelling is ok next summer. We have a cruise booked for end of Aug 2021. But one additional hurdle we have is our son's passport expires in the new year and so the longer they keep the passport renewals closed, the bigger the backlog. I think they are starting to open but for travel coming up. (And he'll need a new passport either as a child, or as of end of April, an adult one)

For this summer, we should have been leaving for WDW end of the month followed by a cruise. So sad. Instead, we are planning on just going to a local Ontario resort. No comparison though.

Passport Canada is open again as of July 31 for mail in applications ! I just mailed my daughters off a couple of weeks ago. We have a March WDW trip booked that we are almost certainly canceling, but I wanted her passport updated in case of a miracle.

Passport Canada is open again as of July 31 for mail in applications ! I just mailed my daughters off a couple of weeks ago. We have a March WDW trip booked that we are almost certainly canceling, but I wanted her passport updated in case of a miracle.

I totally missed that . Thank you for sharing . I may send big kids in now . We have decided booked but will be cancelling but also have may booked

Thanks. Yes my husband noted that it is slowly starting up. But our son is 15 so he needs a new passport so can't do mail in. I worry too. Our next scheduled trip is March and one after that Aug. Our DS turns 16 end of April. So DH already said that March cruise is doubtful so he'l probably just wait until after his bday (i.e. May ) so he can apply for an adult one for him. Who knows if that would be enough time to receive it. Again, I worry about the backlog which is just getting longer and longer. But yes...at least there is some kind of resuming, even if restricted. It's just another hurdle ontop of everything else.

Thanks. Yes my husband noted that it is slowly starting up. But our son is 15 so he needs a new passport so can't do mail in. I worry too. Our next scheduled trip is March and one after that Aug. Our DS turns 16 end of April. So DH already said that March cruise is doubtful so he'l probably just wait until after his bday (i.e. May ) so he can apply for an adult one for him. Who knows if that would be enough time to receive it. Again, I worry about the backlog which is just getting longer and longer. But yes...at least there is some kind of resuming, even if restricted. It's just another hurdle ontop of everything else.

my daughter is only 7 and so we couldn’t renew - - she needed a new passport as well . Why can’t you do mail in? The nearest passport office to us is 3hrs away so I have only ever done mail in for all of our passport needs. It takes a bit longer than in person, but nobody is going anywhere any time soon anyway !

my daughter is only 7 and so we couldn’t renew - - she needed a new passport as well . Why can’t you do mail in? The nearest passport office to us is 3hrs away so I have only ever done mail in for all of our passport needs. It takes a bit longer than in person, but nobody is going anywhere any time soon anyway !
Good point. It makes use nervous though mailing in his birth certificate.

Thanks for the reminder! My son’s passport expires in October so he will have to get a new one soon. He’s 15 so I assume I’ll have to either tale his application into one of the offices here or mail in his birth certificate which I am not super comfortable doing.

Since he is 15, does anyone know if he will have to get a new, adult, passport next July when he turns 16?

If you feel uncomfortable mailing a birth certificate in regular mail, just register it. That way you have a tracking number.

I need kiddo to get a haircut so we can get photos done, oh his hair is so crazy. We'll see, he's at my parents for a few days so we'll see if they can convince him to get it cut. Then I'll have to find someone to guarantor it and mail it in. His expired in early December and I had planned to get it all done in March, my job is located near the office in Ottawa, but of course that didn't happen. I'm sure it'll take awhile to get back, though it says 20 days for the timing, we'll see!

You should always send it registered though, they give different addresses for registered mail versus a courier, but suggest tracking information either way.

Thanks for the reminder! My son’s passport expires in October so he will have to get a new one soon. He’s 15 so I assume I’ll have to either tale his application into one of the offices here or mail in his birth certificate which I am not super comfortable doing.

Since he is 15, does anyone know if he will have to get a new, adult, passport next July when he turns 16?

No. he’s good for the five years. I did my DD weeks before she turned 16. It was considerably cheaper getting her the child passport & was easier to renew. Now she needs an adult one before February when she turns 21. She’ll get the ten-year one then.

So does anyone have any idea when processing centres will open? Since my DDs are now over 18, they have to process new passports and can’t renew their non-expired (yet) child passports. They are going away to school & passports expire in January.

Yes - that info is for passports that have expired or travel is within 30 days — can mail in or make appt. Otherwise it says no other services available.

My DDs passports have not expired ... and they don’t qualify for “renewal” because they currently have child passports. However, they will require new adult ones before January.

The page applies to anyone who needs a passport and then specifically deals with those whose have expired (the normal timeframe to renew is extended if it expired after a certain date) or who need it within 30 days (proof needed to get the passport).

Passport services in Canada are gradually resuming

We’ve now resumed

mail-in service
if you need a passport in more than 30 days
some in-person services (by appointment only)
if you need a passport in less than 30 days

Walk-in services at Service Canada Centres and passport offices (Service Canada Centre – Passport Services) are still unavailable.

Here is the page with the current processing times. The page says it was updated in early July so unknown if the # given are accurate, especially given the cautions on the other page about delays: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...ices/canadian-passports/processing-times.html

It will likely be easier for them to renew while they are still at home - they will need references and a guarantor who has known them the required period.

Good luck !

SW

Yes - that info is for passports that have expired or travel is within 30 days — can mail in or make appt. Otherwise it says no other services available.

My DDs passports have not expired ... and they don’t qualify for “renewal” because they currently have child passports. However, they will require new adult ones before January.
You can apply by mail. I just sent my daughters new passport application in a few weeks ago. It expires in December.

DD12 needs a new one as hers expires in October. Our December trip will likely be cancelled, so not in a huge rush now to get it done. I will likely wait until January at this point. By then we should know if Spring/Summer international travel is allowed/advised to be okay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter