Thoughts on restaurant picks for March 2018 trip..

acarsme123

DIS Veteran
Just looking for input/opinions on restaurant picks. Already starting to think about choices for a March 2018 trip. My wife wants to do Boma again, and I am picking Cape May seafood buffet for my repeat pick. We are thinking doing T-rex for our arrival day to please the son. Two years ago we went to both Trex and Rainforest Cafe....I thought the food at Trex was a little better.

For Epcot we are thinking Le Cellier....we did Via Napoli last trip....it's good pizza, but it's pizza. I can get good pizza in the city I live in. So we are thinking about changing it to Le Cellier this time.

We will be staying at Port Orleans Riverside....I was contemplating trying Boatwrights. The menu looks interesting.

Tusker House for a character breakfast (depending on input I get from my other thread starter)

We have 7 nights of having to pick dinner restaurants, and possibly a lunch place on the day we leave. Last time we didn't eat any lunches really. Just snaked on pretzels and such if we got hungry.

I guess I'm just looking for some new restaurants to try this time....some I have on my radar are Boatwrights, The Boathouse, Paddlefish. I have a 9yo son so I have to have restaurants where he can find something to eat too. He doesn't really do seafood except for fish sticks....but he does eat steak. Everything else is pretty much down to mac and cheese and cheese pizza!

Thanks for all input!

Tusker House - We really like Tusker House breakfast. I think it's a good choice. I drank about 5 glasses of the "Jungle Juice".
Boatwrights - It's been 5 years since we have eaten at Boatwrights. We didn't much like it 5 years ago. We have considered giving it another try. The menu looks good. Maybe someone else has eaten there more recently.
The Boathouse - We ate there last month and we enjoyed it.
There is one place that we go to on every single trip "50's Prime time Cafe". We just enjoy the food and we have always found the staff to be very friendly.

Tiffins has excellent steak. Other restaurants we like....Skippers Canteen, Yak and Yeti, The Wave, Biergarten.

Restaurants we are trying for the first time next trip include Rose and Crown, San Angel Inn and Beaches and Cream

These are the restaurants my almost 9 year old and 3 year old have requested again:

Teppen Edo (epcot) My almost 9 year old wants to go here twice.
Garden Grill (epcot-character meal, restaurant turns)
50s prime time (HS)
Tusker House (AK) lunch. (we like lunch just so we can knock off rides in the am)

We are also doing:
Ohana
TrailsEnd
Skippers Canteen (first time)
Biergarten (second time in 30 years)

Thinking of whispering canyon too.

There are really so many restaurants to choose from. In the past, we've like the Grand Floridian Cafe too. I think visiting other resorts can be fun and any of the monorail resorts are east to get to from MK. Trailsend is a great value and just a boat ride away.

You have a nice variety of restaurants. Tusker House is a reliably good breakfast experience. Sci Fi may also be a fun one for your ds. I always like to give our resort restaurant a try so I'd give Boatwrights a chance.

Our new picks for our upcoming trip are Whispering Canyon, Yak & Yeti, and Coral Reef. I also enjoy giving some new places a try. :-)

We’ve got Tutto Italia on our radar now too. My wife thinks it would be a good option cause we know our son will eat spaghetti. Looks like they have a wide variety on their menu too to suit everyone’s tastes. This place any good? I seem to read conflicting reviews of it.

We ate at Boatwrights last April and it was one of our favourite meals. It was so much quieter than the other restaurants, and the food and service was great. I actually wish I booked it at least once more, it was so simple eating at the resort where we were staying.

Ok so here’s what we got so far:
Saturday arrival day: Rainforest Cafe at DS. Couldn’t get a res for Trex.
Sunday Magic Kingdom: head to Epcot for dinner at Tutto Italia
Monday Magic Kingdom: go to Animal Kingdom for Yak and Yeti (this one I’m unsure about just because of the logistics involved)
Tuesday Animal Kingdom: Tusker House for breakfast. Boma for dinner.

Wednesday: taking day off and eating dinner at Port Orleans food court

Thursday Epcot: Le Cellier
Friday: Hollywood Studios/Animal Kingdom: Beaches and Cream for dinner

Saturday departure day: Trex for lunch before heading home.

I feel pretty good about most of my pics except Yak and Yeti. The food looks interesting. I did watch one video that said this is a Landry restaurant, which gives me pause given how mediocre to downright bad the food is at rainforest cafe and Trex. I’m just not sure it’s with the trek to animal kingdom from the Magic Kingdom just to eat there.

Thoughts ?

I don't like the fact that you are changing parks so much on your MK days......do you HAVE to do TS for dinner? Maybe picking an in park restaurant or a very close by resort for those ones you are leaving MK for instead? Anything on the resort monorail loop would be easier than trekking to AK or Epcot....

I don’t have to do it, but I don’t want to eat crap food at MK. I’d love to stay at MK to eat if they had decent options. Believe me I’m not excited to trek to another park either. I figured Epcot won’t be so bad cause we can take the monorail. Animal kingdom is going to be a pain though. I would have loved to go to Ohana, but reservations are already non existent for our March trip. And I’m not going to eat dinner at 9:30pm, which is the only reservations they have. I considered Kona Cafe but they just don’t have a lot that I think would appeal to my son.

Oh, we’ve now swapped out Rainforest Cafe for Splitsville. Their menu looked so much better and seems to have a wide variety for everyone’s tastes. The food just looks better prepared from the pictures I’ve seen too.

Actually, I see Kona Cafe has a hot dog for a kids option. My son would be fine then. My wife I’m not so sure about

I don’t have to do it, but I don’t want to eat crap food at MK. I’d love to stay at MK to eat if they had decent options. Believe me I’m not excited to trek to another park either. I figured Epcot won’t be so bad cause we can take the monorail. Animal kingdom is going to be a pain though. I would have loved to go to Ohana, but reservations are already non existent for our March trip. And I’m not going to eat dinner at 9:30pm, which is the only reservations they have. I considered Kona Cafe but they just don’t have a lot that I think would appeal to my son.

I would go from Magic Kingdom to Boma and then save Yaki and Yeti for your Animal Kingdom park day. We ate at Yak and Yeti in August and enjoyed it. I would recommend it!

That’s a good suggestion. Never thought about doing that. That could be better logistically
I would go from Magic Kingdom to Boma and then save Yaki and Yeti for your Animal Kingdom park day. We ate at Yak and Yeti in August and enjoyed it. I would recommend it!

Oh, we’ve now swapped out Rainforest Cafe for Splitsville. Their menu looked so much better and seems to have a wide variety for everyone’s tastes. The food just looks better prepared from the pictures I’ve seen too.
We finally ate at Splitsville in August and the food was great!
I agree MK doesn't have the greatest TS options. Have you checked Skippers Canteen? Also the Plaza is really good, basic food and inexpensive, and would save you some travel time on a MK day :)

We went ahead based on this suggestion and switched Boma to the second night we are at MK. Yak n Yeti for the day we are at Animal Kingdom

That’s a good suggestion. Never thought about doing that. That could be better logistically

Ok so here’s what we got so far:

Thoughts ?

Saturday arrival day: Rainforest Cafe at DS. Couldn’t get a res for Trex. - If you become a Landrys club member you can get a reservation, also even a walk up with a Landrys club card will get you a seat. Also try calling directly. When you join its 25 dollars, but you get it back, also you get 25 on your birthday.

Sunday Magic Kingdom: head to Epcot for dinner at Tutto Italia - this is a favorite of ours and the food is very good and the service has always been stellar.

Monday Magic Kingdom: go to Animal Kingdom for Yak and Yeti (this one I’m unsure about just because of the logistics involved) - That's a lot of moving around, I would try for something either in the park or on the monorail for ease getting to and from, maybe the Wave, Kona or Grand Floridian Café, Ohana's, Chef Mickeys, one of our favorite QS is Captain Cooks at the Poly just throwing that out there.

Tuesday Animal Kingdom: Tusker House for breakfast. Boma for dinner. That's 2 buffets that have similar food and theming. Both are great but just putting it out there that we find them very similar, so we try to break up our visit's to them also DH is okay with 1 buffet a day but really not 2. We love breakfast at Tusker House and always have breakfast here. Boma is good but it is a pain getting to and from AKL again with the buses, and if you are going back to your resort after dinner, you will need to go to one of the parks first, then catch a bus to your resort or use Uber or Lyft to go directly.

Wednesday: taking day off and eating dinner at Port Orleans food court

Thursday Epcot: Le Cellier - Good Choice yummy

Friday: Hollywood Studios/Animal Kingdom: Beaches and Cream for dinner - Are you going to DHS in the morning and early afternoon, then dinner at Beaches and Cream, then to over to AK for the evening and ROL ?... that would work out, or vice versa would also work out... but again there is some logistics involved... You might want to rethink and see if its possible to do DHS and Epcot on the same day as they are a boat ride away from each other, and beaches and cream is in the middle of them easy access to all 3.

Saturday departure day: Trex for lunch before heading home. - If you decide to go with T-Rex on arrival day, you could look at Planet Hollywood, Homecoming, Raglan Road and lots of other choices at Disney Springs

oh there's a ton of not crap food at MK! LTT, the Plaza and Skipper's are great, but if you don't like those, I will echo the folks already who said a monorail dinner would be better, keep checking for Ohana! And keep in mind that if your dinner is in the World Showcase, I would say that it would be AT LEAST 30 minutes, maybe even 45 min-1 hour for the 2 monorails PLUS the walk time to the restaurant....I would say almost ANY resort restaurant might have a less transport time than getting to the back of Epcot maybe even a bus to the BC? (it that the closest one to the IG?) would be easier.......

I understand what you're saying about not wanting to eat subpar food at MK. But, I agree with others about looking at monorail hotel choices. We personally love Kona - my husband requests it every single trip - and he's far from an adventurous eater. But, if you choose to go the yak and yeti route, I will say- I'm not usually a fan of that kind of food and we actually really enjoyed it on our last trip.

This is what I would do too....makes way more sense and also Yak & Yeti was one of our best meals in Sept

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter