Three Things...Gratitude Thread

Mountains - When I was going through the worst of my cancer care, the Rockies were the image I kept in my mind to try and keep me focused and help me push through. I knew if I got through it, I'd be seeing the mountains that summer. Although...We really shouldn't have traveled with her team that year. DD15 wound up in a boot from a small fracture in her leg a few weeks out and wouldn't be playing, but we went anyway. I cried a little when I saw the mountains that summer.

A pretty hit - As I sit here nursing a wound over my eye (was too close to the C screen while throwing batting practice for DD15 yesterday), I'm reminded of one of my favorite softball moms and us yelling "It's a BEAUT!!!" when someone gets a pretty hit/bunt. It's all very Clark Griswold, but it even gave me a little chuckle yesterday as we were trying to clean me up. I may have been bloodied up, but the hit was a beaut!

My girls - It's really been hitting me a lot lately as I work on all of the different kinds of senior pics for DD17. All that's left for me to take are cap and gown pics and actual pics at graduation. I was hit with the same kind of emotions earlier this spring when DD15 had her first photoshoot with the school team and we did all of the "where it started/where we are now" collages.
:hug:

ACTS OF KINDNESS

I always appreciate those little day-to-day gestures. Like when someone lets you into a lane of traffic or stops to hold a door open.

I was staying at a hotel for a few weeks for work, once, and when the chef heard I liked a particular dessert (never on the menu), he made it for me 'specially. Some people are so thoughtful.

Spontaneous kindness from children - homemade bracelets, a much-treasured(!) chocolate shared, a handwritten note or a picture, a flower and, particularly, little gestures of encouragement and caring. They're all so sincere from younger children, aren't they?!

Donations to School Groups - We recently did a carwash fundraiser for our school's choir booster organization. It was at one of those drive thru wash places where many of the patrons have memberships. The company was already generously donating 50% of all sales for any patrons using a choir specific QR code. On top of that, they allowed us to set up camp near the vacuums so the kids could drum up more donations by helping patrons spot dry, clean glass, vacuum, etc. It was really some of the individual people that got me. I can't tell you how many people either skipped their membership and bought a singular wash on Saturday just to give to our group. Many others used their memberships, didn't want the kids helping with their vehicles, but still donated whatever cash they had on hand. Some went as far as leaving the carwash to go to an ATM and coming back with cash for donation. It's events like this that really restore my faith in humanity.

Our neighbors - They're around my parents' ages. They've been in their house since the 70s and have seen all kinds of people come and go. They really don't know us that well and it's normally just a wave in passing, but they are so sweet and kind. It's always been just some random compliments when I'm putting out holiday decorations. Recently, they popped by out of the blue because they saw DD17s high school senior sign in our yard. They had a gift for her! It was so random and unexpected, but so nice and generous.

Time Off - I just asked for some time tomorrow morning because DD15s permanent retainer is already coming loose. I was granted this time without any guilt trips or push back. This has been pretty much the norm for the last 10 years. It reminded me of a prior management situation that wasn't so kind and compassionate. I remember an old boss reprimanding me in a conference room because I didn't plan a bladder infection around her schedule.

1. My neighbor takes care of my dog when we travel on weekends for DD’s sport. She’s 22 now with a good job, but she still does it even though she probably doesn’t need the money anymore. I do try to pay well because I appreciate that she’s still willing to do it and my dog has always known her and is comfortable with her.
2. My mom was getting towards the end of her Alzheimer’s disease during COVID. We knew she probably needed a nursing home and were desperate to get her vaccinated. My sister got both parents appointments and when the day came my mom refused to get in the car. My dad went and another sister sat with our mom. We get another appointment for mom, this one close to home, and I was the one supposed to get her in the car. I finally succeed and we head to the rec center. We were worried about how she’d behave when we were waiting so I went in ahead with all of her paperwork, ID, dad had medical POA which I took in. I explained that I wanted to check her in and would physically wait inside and when they were ready for her my dad would bring her in. I explained she was unlikely to keep a mask on and could be really restless and sometimes a bit agitated so we wanted to minimize her time with others. The woman checking me asked me to wait and went to talk to a nurse. I thought they were going to turn us away, but the nurse came over and asked a few questions and then told me she would go to the car and vaccinate my mom there. I burst into tears when she said that and am tearing up now typing it. I told her on the way to the car that my mom was a nurse and this nurse led with that and was so good with her. Even got my mom to consent on her own. I asked for her name because I wanted to write to her employer and explain how grateful we were but she asked me not to. Said it was really against the rules to go to the car, but she decided to make an exception.
3. When we went back for dose 2, much the same. Mom refused to get in the car. Swearing and yelling at me. We gave her the “emergency medicine” we had for when she was combative, but it needed time to take effect. My sisters and I wanted my dad to give it to her earlier, but he was always reluctant to use it. We were a later appointment and worried they would close. We couldn’t find a phone number for the pop up clinic so I went ahead to find out the hours while my dad stayed with mom trying to get her in the car. I got there and they were almost done, but said if we got her there, even if they were packing up, they would do it. My dad somehow got her in the car quickly and the nurse went out in the pouring rain on a cold day and gave her the second dose. They were amazing and so kind. Angels on earth.

1. My DGD is learning to be kind as she gets closer to 5 years old. She is very aware of my back issues and is always helpful and encouraging. The other days she said, “Do you need some ice, Grandma? If you need some, just ask me and I will get it for you.”

2. My DH drove me to radiation every day and still goes to every doctor appointment with me. I am so grateful to have a caring and kind partner.

3. I am grateful for every card, note, and picture that I ever received from students. When I retired, those letters were what I saved. They were also very kind about my back and always made sure I had my back pillow and special chair. :)

Honorable mention: the countless kindnesses shown by many CMs at WDW. It’s one of the reasons we love to go back.

(Tues, 4/30) - 3 acts of kindness you've been grateful for

1. Meals brought to our home after kids were born
2. My mom running my kids anywhere and everywhere I needed her too when my kids were little
3. my boss giving my a stadium giveaway from a baseball game he was at just because he knew I loved the player that it was for

1. My neighbor takes care of my dog when we travel on weekends for DD’s sport. She’s 22 now with a good job, but she still does it even though she probably doesn’t need the money anymore. I do try to pay well because I appreciate that she’s still willing to do it and my dog has always known her and is comfortable with her.
2. My mom was getting towards the end of her Alzheimer’s disease during COVID. We knew she probably needed a nursing home and were desperate to get her vaccinated. My sister got both parents appointments and when the day came my mom refused to get in the car. My dad went and another sister sat with our mom. We get another appointment for mom, this one close to home, and I was the one supposed to get her in the car. I finally succeed and we head to the rec center. We were worried about how she’d behave when we were waiting so I went in ahead with all of her paperwork, ID, dad had medical POA which I took in. I explained that I wanted to check her in and would physically wait inside and when they were ready for her my dad would bring her in. I explained she was unlikely to keep a mask on and could be really restless and sometimes a bit agitated so we wanted to minimize her time with others. The woman checking me asked me to wait and went to talk to a nurse. I thought they were going to turn us away, but the nurse came over and asked a few questions and then told me she would go to the car and vaccinate my mom there. I burst into tears when she said that and am tearing up now typing it. I told her on the way to the car that my mom was a nurse and this nurse led with that and was so good with her. Even got my mom to consent on her own. I asked for her name because I wanted to write to her employer and explain how grateful we were but she asked me not to. Said it was really against the rules to go to the car, but she decided to make an exception.
3. When we went back for dose 2, much the same. Mom refused to get in the car. Swearing and yelling at me. We gave her the “emergency medicine” we had for when she was combative, but it needed time to take effect. My sisters and I wanted my dad to give it to her earlier, but he was always reluctant to use it. We were a later appointment and worried they would close. We couldn’t find a phone number for the pop up clinic so I went ahead to find out the hours while my dad stayed with mom trying to get her in the car. I got there and they were almost done, but said if we got her there, even if they were packing up, they would do it. My dad somehow got her in the car quickly and the nurse went out in the pouring rain on a cold day and gave her the second dose. They were amazing and so kind. Angels on earth.
very nice!

The outstanding ICU nurses at the U of W that cared for my DD24 before and after her brain surgery.

The thoughtful and caring fellow DIS'ers who have been have been so supportive of me and my family.

Cheers!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter