Throwaway Room - Offsite to Onsite Stays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks CKelly14, I will keep an eye on the site. I'm so excited to be taking my grandkids for the first time. This throw away room gives me so much to work with

With this reservation, am I able to do 5 days fastpasses? It is 4 nights of room reservations. Can't believe how much I am not up to speed on fastpasses.

Check In: Wednesday, August 16, 2017
Check Out: Sunday, August 20, 2017

With this reservation, am I able to do 5 days fastpasses? It is 4 nights of room reservations. Can't believe how much I am not up to speed on fastpasses.

Check In: Wednesday, August 16, 2017
Check Out: Sunday, August 20, 2017
Yes, Dan. All 5 days! :)

I am considering reserving, paying for and keeping a throwaway reservation just to help our chances of getting the FP's we want. We were only going to go to a theme park one day (our 4th day of our current reservation), and only have a 1 day MYW ticket linked to MDE. So, considering that you can schedule FP's starting 60 + 10 days out (if I understand that correctly), should I book this throwaway room 7 days before our current reservation? Will it let me book our one and only day of FP's 70 days out? Or does the throwaway reservation need to be contiguous (booking a room for the entire week prior to current arrival)? I'm not sure I am explaining this clearly, so bare with me. Thank you.

Last edited:
I am considering reserving, paying for and keeping a throwaway reservation just to help our chances of getting the FP's we want. We were only going to go to a theme park one day (our 4th day of our current reservation), and only have a 1 day MYW ticket linked to MDE. So, considering that you can schedule FP's starting 60 + 10 days out (if I understand that correctly), should I book this throwaway room 7 days before our current reservation? Will it let me book our one and only day of FP's 70 days out? Or does the throwaway reservation need to be contiguous (booking a room for the entire week prior to current arrival)? I'm not sure I am explaining this clearly, so bare with me. Thank you.

I would reserve for the night before your park day. Then you would be able to book FP+ 61 days before your park day and get free parking.

I should have mentioned that we are already staying onsite, so I was just wanting to book a throw away room earlier just to get a better selection of FP's. Do I book the room a week ahead of time for one night, or does it have to be a continuous stay (every day the week leading up to our current reservation)?

I should have mentioned that we are already staying onsite, so I was just wanting to book a throw away room earlier just to get a better selection of FP's. Do I book the room a week ahead of time for one night, or does it have to be a continuous stay (every day the week leading up to our current reservation)?

It would have to be continuous. There's no point in doing it in your case.

Okay. Thank you. I just wanted to make sure I understood. I guess in the future, if we decide to stay offsite, we will re-look into this. I appreciate your quick responses.

Hi, Not sure if I've done the throw away room booking correctly. Hopefully someone can help....
I booked a throw away room for Wednesday, Nov 22 and Thursday (Thanksgiving) Nov 23. We will be going to the parks on both of those days.
Should I have booked starting on Tuesday, Nov 21 in order to get a jump (61 days) on our FPs? I'm really worried about getting the FPs we need since it will be such a busy time.
I'm willing to spend a little more money on booking extra days if need be to get the FPs we need, should I book a throw away room earlier than what I have in order to get a jump on getting the FPs we need?
Or, can I only make my FP selections starting 60 days from the first day we will enter the park, no matter when my room ressie starts? That's really the bottom line question that I have.

Thank you so much, I thought I had this down pat but now I'm over thinking this and getting confused.

Last edited:
Ugh. I just popped on this thread and I really don't know how I feel about the whole "throwaway" room thing. Don't want to start flaming but the FP and ADR thing makes me crazy. So, if I am correct the FP's were designed for guests staying on property... and the throwaway rooms are a way to get around that by making a phantom room reservation to get the MB sent to your home. Did I just read that Disney was on to this and refused some FP ressies because the Magic Bands were not activated with a valid check in? Totally not judging anyone. I have worked WDW as many ways as I can to maximize my time there. That said, I have always taken the hit to stay on property. Like I said, not judging..but I gotta get something for spending all that money to stay on property.

What is a "valid" check in? (or a "non-valid" check in?)
Apparently, the whole basis of a throwaway room that the room can be cancelled after getting FP's but before any penalty for cancellation would incur. It is my understanding the OPers never check in - please correct me if I am wrong...

Apparently, the whole basis of a throwaway room that the room can be cancelled after getting FP's but before any penalty for cancellation would incur. It is my understanding the OPers never check in - please correct me if I am wrong...

This thread is for people who book and pay for a room or campsite for one night for the benefit of magic bands, 60 day fast passes, extra magic hours, and free parking at the parks on the check in and check out day. Many people don't physically go to the room or campsite because you can do online check in which negates the need to be physically present at the resort if you aren't going to be sleeping there that night.

This thread is for people who book and pay for a room or campsite for one night for the benefit of magic bands, 60 day fast passes, extra magic hours, and free parking at the parks on the check in and check out day. Many people don't physically go to the room or campsite because you can do online check in which negates the need to be physically present at the resort if you aren't going to be sleeping there that night.
Ahh. So they keep the room. I thought they cancelled it and still got to keep the FP's. I stand corrected. Still don't know how I feel about it. Like I said in my original post - I've worked savings at WDW as much as anyone. I'm a kids meal girl lol. So tell me how this works...you book a room and get FP's. Do people pay for a phantom room for their whole stay offsite? If so, are you are paying for what is basically the same as at Universal a "front of the line" pass which goes for I think approximately $80 pp so booking a room or campsite makes sense if you are a big party. I guess I'm just not getting it. Not judging and I love my FP's (I was one of the beta testers) but other then a campsite I dont' think it would be worth it just for FP's. My Disney babies have always been able to hang until the Parks close and we always do the late EMH's (we are not morning people so the idea "rope drop" is appalling) and we have always just walked on the rides late at night. I think FP's are wonderful for folks with kids who can schedule their ride time around nap time. Thanks for clearing up the details of a phantom room. Still a little confused but not judging.

What happens if you book a room, (like I have done) with the intention of staying there...have booked my fp, now I'm in the 30 day window and my DH just told me that we can stay a week earlier off site. Can I cancel my 1 night and yet still keep my FP? The Disney lady said I could when I called, but I'm not so sure...

Ahh. So they keep the room. I thought they cancelled it and still got to keep the FP's. I stand corrected. Still don't know how I feel about it. Like I said in my original post - I've worked savings at WDW as much as anyone. I'm a kids meal girl lol. So tell me how this works...you book a room and get FP's. Do people pay for a phantom room for their whole stay offsite? If so, are you are paying for what is basically the same as at Universal a "front of the line" pass which goes for I think approximately $80 pp so booking a room or campsite makes sense if you are a big party. I guess I'm just not getting it. Not judging and I love my FP's (I was one of the beta testers) but other then a campsite I dont' think it would be worth it just for FP's. My Disney babies have always been able to hang until the Parks close and we always do the late EMH's (we are not morning people so the idea "rope drop" is appalling) and we have always just walked on the rides late at night. I think FP's are wonderful for folks with kids who can schedule their ride time around nap time. Thanks for clearing up the details of a phantom room. Still a little confused but not judging.

We have a throwaway room booked - we did it partly for the fastpasses at 60 days instead of 30 days, but also to get free magic bands and free parking for 2 days. The throwaway room is cheaper than buying 5 MBs and 2 days of parking. Well worth it for us.

Here's our specific scenario. We are DVC and AP holders. We are planning a trip end of Jan. We can not book DVC until Dec 1 because of use year limits. Can we book a throwaway room for the first day of our trip and take advantage of the 60 day window? And when we book our DVC room, still have those FP in place? Would we be able to at that point cancel the throwaway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!