Ticket Price Increase - Fall 2018?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short term greed is good, long term not so good

This is not “greed”, this is business. Disney has a fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders to make a profit. They are not a national park or a federally subsidized institution. If and when the market balks or their brand begins to falter, then they will have to make adjustments and/or suffer the consequences.

But let’s be honest, with all the new experiences that have opened or will be opening in the next two-three years (which have to be paid for, by the way), do we really expect prices to stay the same? And, I *really* don’t like the idea of tiered ticketing. However, my guess is that Disney HATES having to “close” the parks. If it happens multiple days, or even every day in the case of DHS when SW:GE opens, that is not good PR for Disney. First, it means that the in-park guest experience is probably not going to be great. And, maybe more importantly, the public hears about this, and immediately will think, “Well, I’m not going to Walt Disney World! It’s WAY too crowded if they are having to close the parks!” And Disney does not want to scare away potential new guests. Could the prices scare them away? Potentially. But, at the same time, people already think a trip to WDW is expensive and know they will need to save up for it.

Yes, I hate price increases; I, too, am trying to figure out how to work the system to get the best deal and avoid paying money I don’t have to. But, the reality is that Disney HAS to raise ticket prices.

when will hotel tiered over night parking go into effect?
That was put in place back in the spring.
I think the key word here is tiered, implying different overnight parking rates at different times of the year (peak season, off-peak, etc.).

Currently, these are the guest parking rates at resorts, all rates being the same, year-round.
  • Disney Value Resorts: $13 per night.
  • Disney Moderate Resorts: $19 per night.
  • Disney Deluxe and Deluxe Villa Resorts: $24 per night.

I get back online after Hurricane Florence and see this? Ugh.

My plan is for getting APs in November .. hopefully those prices aren't affected.
(I am waiting to get them until then because I have some unused 5-day tickets to just convert into APs to help make the cost not so much at once), but if there will be an AP price increase, I may as well just grab them now and save those 5-day tickets (that were bought before they had expiration dates) for a future future trip!

This is not “greed”, this is business. Disney has a fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders to make a profit.

Yeah. But it's still driven by greed. Disney or it's shareholders are in no way hurting for money and make well more than necessary. It's greed, and greed only, that keeps driving the desire for more.

Yeah. But it's still driven by greed. Disney or it's shareholders are in no way hurting for money and make well more than necessary. It's greed, and greed only, that keeps driving the desire for more.

I’m sorry, but I am a Disney shareholder and many DIS’ers are too. I would hardly describe myself as greedy. But, I also didn’t put my money in Disney stock as a charity or without the expectation that I won’t get a return on my investment.

ETA - And who are you (or anyone else) to determine what constitutes as “way more than necessary“?

I’m sorry, but I am a Disney shareholder and many DIS’ers are too. I would hardly describe myself as greedy. But, I also didn’t put my money in Disney stock as a charity or without the expectation that I won’t get a return on my investment.

ETA - And who are you (or anyone else) to determine what constitutes as “way more than necessary“?

No one needs millions of dollars. And it's not the small stockholders they care about (or that I'm referring to) but the big guns.

No one needs millions of dollars. And it's not the small stockholders they care about (or that I'm referring to) but the big guns.

Not wanting to go to far into this, but yes, the top 20% of Americans own 92% of the stock market......

So you are correct, it's not the 80% owning an 8% share in the market they are concerned about. It's the top 20%, who also have all the wealth, but I digress...

Back on topic, IMO they are already pushing it as is. An large increase now wouldn't be that strategic, as nothing new besides TSL is ready. If it was me, and I was determined to raise/tier pricing, I would wait until SWGE and all the other new projects were about 30 days out from opening. But they've got the data to run the scenarios.....I'm expecting an average of 5-7% across the board increase when it happens, but last time they hit some with 15% and I was a little shocked....

I get back online after Hurricane Florence and see this? Ugh.

My plan is for getting APs in November .. hopefully those prices aren't affected.
(I am waiting to get them until then because I have some unused 5-day tickets to just convert into APs to help make the cost not so much at once), but if there will be an AP price increase, I may as well just grab them now and save those 5-day tickets (that were bought before they had expiration dates) for a future future trip!

We're at the park next week and I'm going to upgrade our tickets to APs as we're planning a January trip. I suspect we'll be good as they will probably announce the increase before they actually do it.

I just hate how every time Disney raises prices, it suddenly becomes all about greedy (evil) corporations sticking it to the “little guys.” It drives me crazy. We live in a capitalist society. We invest in companies so that they grow and ultimately provide more jobs for people. People have pensions, 401ks, mutual funds, IRAs, etc. Even if they are not significant stakeholders in the market, as @dlavender said, they all benefit from a company’s profits. And yes, along the way, some people get very wealthy.

@mshanson3121 - If I remember correctly, I believe you are Canadian? So, I recognize this impacts you more - you suffer from exchange rates and you don’t directly benefit from the American markets. But, I will always defend our market system, even if it isn’t perfect.

I can't believe they would raise the tickets more than 5%. But who knows.

I won't comment on the greedy or not greedy part of the conversation. My contribution to another thread is more than enough!

So, here's my game plan. Please let me know if this will work.
1. Purchase tickets on undercover tourist to save $80.
2. Book a quick weekend trip to convert tickets to APs before increase. I have tons of SW points and flights are cheap so no biggie. If increase occurs before I get there, I can always get points refunded.
3. Activate AP in January.

So, here's my game plan. Please let me know if this will work.
1. Purchase tickets on undercover tourist to save $80.
2. Book a quick weekend trip to convert tickets to APs before increase. I have tons of SW points and flights are cheap so no biggie. If increase occurs before I get there, I can always get points refunded.
3. Activate AP in January.

Here's my plan
Sit by the pool and watch the bathing suits walk by.

This is not “greed”, this is business. Disney has a fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders to make a profit. They are not a national park or a federally subsidized institution. If and when the market balks or their brand begins to falter, then they will have to make adjustments and/or suffer the consequences.

But let’s be honest, with all the new experiences that have opened or will be opening in the next two-three years (which have to be paid for, by the way), do we really expect prices to stay the same? And, I *really* don’t like the idea of tiered ticketing. However, my guess is that Disney HATES having to “close” the parks. If it happens multiple days, or even every day in the case of DHS when SW:GE opens, that is not good PR for Disney. First, it means that the in-park guest experience is probably not going to be great. And, maybe more importantly, the public hears about this, and immediately will think, “Well, I’m not going to Walt Disney World! It’s WAY too crowded if they are having to close the parks!” And Disney does not want to scare away potential new guests. Could the prices scare them away? Potentially. But, at the same time, people already think a trip to WDW is expensive and know they will need to save up for it.

Yes, I hate price increases; I, too, am trying to figure out how to work the system to get the best deal and avoid paying money I don’t have to. But, the reality is that Disney HAS to raise ticket prices.

eventually (many times than you think) you reach too far and then the house of cards fall.

I think greed is a perception as well, companies like disney can run the risk of coming off as "greedy" to its customer base. Sure i get it, its a public company and its main goal is to make as much of a profit as it can, and i have zero issues with that. However, they have to be careful about coming across as too greedy and upsetting the consumer.

The last ticket increase was 02/11/2018, with increases, on average between 4% - 11%. If Disney raises prices within the next month, or so, two smaller increases within about 8 months "seem" less than one larger increase in a year. Plus, the second increase is based on an already higher cost, so, it's compounded. A $100 ticket raised 5% (increase #1) + another 5% increase later in the year has a cost of $110.25; with a single increase of 10% in one year's time, that ticket's cost is $110.00. That minuscule difference would earn Disney hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not more, in additional revenue.

Last edited:
I think greed is a perception as well, companies like disney can run the risk of coming off as "greedy" to its customer base. Sure i get it, its a public company and its main goal is to make as much of a profit as it can, and i have zero issues with that. However, they have to be careful about coming across as too greedy and upsetting the consumer.

I totally agree what @manning said and with this, and that shows market forces at work. In fact, a few years ago I received a survey from Disney where I was asked to what extent I agreed with the statement, “Walt Disney World is greedy.” I was really surprised! I stated this in an earlier post, but yes, they certainly can run the risk of injuring their brand at some point, especially if Guest Satisfaction goes down, i.e., people stop feeling like their WDW trip was “worth it.”

You're going to need an MBA to plan your disney trip......

I still am picturing some nightmare scenarios of some nice family turn up at a park and being told "oh, this ticket isn't valid today as today is a different level than yesterday or tomorrow ... though EPCOT has a lower zone today so you could go there today, but not tomorrow as that has a higher zone tomorrow. However, if you'd like you can pay and extra $20/ticket to get in today"

I can't believe they would raise the tickets more than 5%. But who knows.

Perhaps on average it would be in the 5% range - but with the tiering it might be: value -1% (just for good PR); regular +5%; peak +15%

And then if they do get into the different parks costing different prices DHS could see +25% or more due to Galaxy’s Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter