Tickets at work upgrade to AP questions

left210

DIS Veteran
I previously asked about upgrading tickets from Tickets at Work to an AP. I have a few more specific questions.

The current promo is buy 2 get 2 days free. I am looking at the 2 day+2 free park to park which is $239 at TAW with a gate value of $569.98. Questions are:

1. If I buy the above pass can I upgrade it to a 3 park AP since it was only a 2 park ticket to begin with?
2. If I do this, the value of 3 park preferred pass is $483.99 and my gate value for this ticket is $569.98. Would I get a refund for the difference or would it just be a wash? I have looked it up and am not sure as I saw some people say they did get money back.

I do not know if we will get to come back within a year but it sure would be nice to have that option.

1. If I buy the above pass can I upgrade it to a 3 park AP since it was only a 2 park ticket to begin with?

I would think Universal would be happy to take your money when moving from a 2 to 3 park ticket.

The current promo is buy 2 get 2 days free. I am looking at the 2 day+2 free park to park which is $239 at TAW with a gate value of $569.98. Questions are:

it depends on what you're actually getting from TAW. Be careful as you may only be getting a 2 day ticket with 2 days considered promotional vs an actual 4 day ticket. If that's the case, then you're only looking at getting the value of a 2 day ticket when upgrading.

I would think Universal would be happy to take your money when moving from a 2 to 3 park ticket.

it depends on what you're actually getting from TAW. Be careful as you may only be getting a 2 day ticket with 2 days considered promotional vs an actual 4 day ticket. If that's the case, then you're only looking at getting the value of a 2 day ticket when upgrading.

I am not sure about TAW. Maybe someone here could add if they have done this to know if you get the four day vs. 2 day value. Worst case scenario is I still get my four days as I need for less and I could just upgrade to a seasonal pass (vs. 3 day park preferred pass) for no additional money as a 2 day is valued at $284. Thank you!

Yes, be aware of promotional tickets. You won't lose money by buying them, but you won't gain anything either. We purchased buy 2 get 3 free 3 park non park to park tickets and used them in April. They were considered a promo ticket and we were given credit for what we paid vs the perceived value when upgrading to the seasonal AP. They knew just buy looking at the ticket where we purchased them and how much we paid. We had to pay $45 / ticket to upgrade to the seasonal passes and didn't save any money. Should have just bought the seasonal pass to start and not had to deal with the extra time at guest services.

Yes, be aware of promotional tickets. You won't lose money by buying them, but you won't gain anything either. We purchased buy 2 get 3 free 3 park non park to park tickets and used them in April. They were considered a promo ticket and we were given credit for what we paid vs the perceived value when upgrading to the seasonal AP. They knew just buy looking at the ticket where we purchased them and how much we paid. We had to pay $45 / ticket to upgrade to the seasonal passes and didn't save any money. Should have just bought the seasonal pass to start and not had to deal with the extra time at guest services.

Did you buy your promo ticket through Universal or Tickets at Work?

I was wondering if the tickets at work ones were upgradeable too

Purchased from UT: Universal 2-Day Park-to-Park Ticket - Plus Extra Day FREE (E-Ticket)

& was hoping to upgrade next week to an APH for my DS but @ 3 day P2P value. Guess I’ll find out then which amount U will credit.

I was wondering if the tickets at work ones were upgradeable too

Purchased from UT: Universal 2-Day Park-to-Park Ticket - Plus Extra Day FREE (E-Ticket)

& was hoping to upgrade next week to an APH for my DS but @ 3 day P2P value. Guess I’ll find out then which amount U will credit.
Ours were from Undercover Tourist and they were paper tickets, not e-tickets. If they are actual 3 day tickets that Undercover Tourist is selling for the price of a two day ticket you will get the value of three days applied. If they are truly a buy 2 get one free ticket you will get the value of what you paid applied to the AP. We tried at guest services both in and outside the parks at both Universal and IOA and got the same answer.

So disappointed. Went to guest services after we used TAW tickets today. We had 4 day base tickets. They said were valued at $271.50 but said it would be $99 to upgrade to seasonal pass and $60 to change to Parker hopper. Wish I had just bought the park hoppers and had what I needed. Now trying to save a buck is going to cost me more if we want to get park hoppers and now no AP for us . I didn’t do anything with the hopes to get a different answer tomorrow.

So disappointed. Went to guest services after we used TAW tickets today. We had 4 day base tickets. They said were valued at $271.50 but said it would be $99 to upgrade to seasonal pass and $60 to change to Parker hopper. Wish I had just bought the park hoppers and had what I needed. Now trying to save a buck is going to cost me more if we want to get park hoppers and now no AP for us . I didn’t do anything with the hopes to get a different answer tomorrow.

That doesn’t make any sense, a seasonal pass is only $305 plus tax, if they valued your ticket at $271, you should only be required to pay the difference ($34+tax). I would speak to a manager and they can explain the math to you.

Posted this on the other thread but want to make sure you see it.

The price of one park per day tickets is quite a bit lower than park to park tickets.

Price of a one park per day, 4 day pass on their website is $235 --- $255 gate (not including tax)
Price of a park hopper, 4 day pass on their website is $300 --- $325 gate (not including tax)
Price of a seasonal pass on their website is $305 (not including tax)

So, yes it is about $70 to upgrade to a parkhopper or about $50 to upgrade to a seasonal AP.

Check with another guest services. The price they quoted you for the AP might be high but otherwise, I think they are correct. Perhaps they were quoting you on a power pass.

Did you go to Volcano Bay with the tickets? That locks you into the 3 park pass if you try to upgrade.

I talked to two different people at IOA guest services and another at Cabana Bay today. They all said the same thing. They couldn’t explain why they value my ticket at $271 but are charging me $100 to upgrade to AP. So frustrating but in the future I will just buy what I need in the first place instead of trying to upgrade to save money that would end up costing me more. I just added park hopper and it ended up costing me $11 more per ticket vs me just buying them direct from TAW. Lesson learned.

I talked to two different people at IOA guest services and another at Cabana Bay today. They all said the same thing. They couldn’t explain why they value my ticket at $271 but are charging me $100 to upgrade to AP. So frustrating but in the future I will just buy what I need in the first place instead of trying to upgrade to save money that would end up costing me more. I just added park hopper and it ended up costing me $11 more per ticket vs me just buying them direct from TAW. Lesson learned.

Now that it is a parkhopper, I'd go and ask Guest Services how much to upgrade to AP. I've had the best luck inside the park at Universal Studios.

They already told me. $40 which is essentially the same as before of $100 ($60 plus $40).

Your original post said you were buying 2 day get 2 days free park to park tickets.

But it seems you bought 4 day base tickets, so yes, UO is correct in the additional price.

There is approx a $60 difference in base tickets to park to park tickets. You had base and wanted park to park or an AP. Buying the base tickets is a lot of the disappointment you have experienced. I agree with the above poster. Try to upgrade your park to park tickets now to AP with no mention of having base tickets to begin with. I am sure their screen will tell the tale, so it may not work, but you will not know unless you make another attempt.

It is a tough game to play and you have to fully understand the ins and out of each ticket purchase. They seem to get you, one way or the other.

They were buy two get two from TaW but show up as 4 day base tickets when printed out. I did make the mistake of buying base vs hopper as I thought it would still go off total value which was my first mistake. Thanks all. Just sharing so no one else makes my same mistake and/or learns the proper way to do it.

So it sounds like they are basing your upgrades on your tickets being 2 day, one park passes, which are valued at $204 on their website. This is normal for a promo buy 2 get 2 free ticket. The parkhopper version of those tickets are $265, so that is why upgrading to a parkhopper was $60. The AP is $305, so their quoted price is correct as well.

What Bethany said might happen in the first response to your question, is exactly what happened.

So, I am still a little confused by all this... Our trip is planned for this November around Thanksgiving. We are planning to purchase 2 Day Park to Park, 2 Parks, plus two days free from TaW for $239.00 each. We would like to upgrade at least one of our tickets to a 2 park preferred AP, maybe all of them. Is there any cost savings in doing this, or should we just buy the AP directly?

Thanks.

So, I am still a little confused by all this... Our trip is planned for this November around Thanksgiving. We are planning to purchase 2 Day Park to Park, 2 Parks, plus two days free from TaW for $239.00 each. We would like to upgrade at least one of our tickets to a 2 park preferred AP, maybe all of them. Is there any cost savings in doing this, or should we just buy the AP directly?

Thanks.

There is a chance if you activate the ticket and it reads as a full 4-day pass you can get the full value. However, prepare yourself to only get the $239 value that you originally paid. You won’t lose money with this option, but you might not save any either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter