If I want to upgrade my 7 day date based ticket to an AP at the end of our trip so as not to deal with park reservations, is the only drawback that I would have to pay extra for the memory maker instead of getting the $99 AP add on deal?
Discounts on dining / merch, potentially on your on-property stay.

Discounts on dining / merch, potentially on your on-property stay.
I have the Disney visa for those so all good. The memory maker is the only thing I’m thinking would be a disadvantage. In effect would it be like me paying about $90 more as a trade off for not making reservations? They won’t credit me for the Memory maker right?

I have the Disney visa for those so all good. The memory maker is the only thing I’m thinking would be a disadvantage. In effect would it be like me paying about $90 more as a trade off for not making reservations? They won’t credit me for the Memory maker right?
That seems right - I could be missing something but I need coffee. :-)

And no, they won't credit that.

Disney Visa is 10% on merch and AP is 20%. Some restaurants also offer additional savings for AP up to 20%. I am not sure how much you plan on purchasing or dining.

I am pretty sure you can just skip Memory Maker altogether. Take the PhotoPass pictures like normal. Upgrade to the AP with PhotoPass downloads and poof... watermark is gone. Regular PhotoPass pictures should last 45 days. APs get an entire year.

If you are too hesitant and still purchase Memory Maker I would ask about a refund. Never hurts to try.

Are you worried about securing the park passes last minute and selling out? Or do you not want to deal with the restriction of park passes? If it's the sell out reason I would upgrade before I got there to have my park passes set.

Disney Visa is 10% on merch and AP is 20%. Some restaurants also offer additional savings for AP up to 20%. I am not sure how much you plan on purchasing or dining.

I am pretty sure you can just skip Memory Maker altogether. Take the PhotoPass pictures like normal. Upgrade to the AP with PhotoPass downloads and poof... watermark is gone. Regular PhotoPass pictures should last 45 days. APs get an entire year.

If you are too hesitant and still purchase Memory Maker I would ask about a refund. Never hurts to try.

Are you worried about securing the park passes last minute and selling out? Or do you not want to deal with the restriction of park passes? If it's the sell out reason I would upgrade before I got there to have my park passes set.
I'll look into the restaurants we made ADRs at to see if any of them give the 20%. I guess enough of those and it could move the needle as we will be eating out a lot. We also get the memory maker each trip. I'm one of those constantly looking for the photographers and stopping for pics! I like your idea about just dealing with the photo pass pics and getting them at upgrade.

Yeah I kinda just don't want to be beholden to reservations for the first time in a long time as we're planning a more relaxed trip this time where we want to be a little less structured about the parks. We still know which ones we're going to attend but would like flexibility. Plus it'll be spring break for my state and I do worry that a park will "sell out" by the time I decide and I don't want that anxiety. But we have a few trips planned this year so definitely going to be upgrading at least by the last day. I may also just be overthinking this lol

I'll look into the restaurants we made ADRs at to see if any of them give the 20%. I guess enough of those and it could move the needle as we will be eating out a lot. We also get the memory maker each trip. I'm one of those constantly looking for the photographers and stopping for pics! I like your idea about just dealing with the photo pass pics and getting them at upgrade.

Yeah I kinda just don't want to be beholden to reservations for the first time in a long time as we're planning a more relaxed trip this time where we want to be a little less structured about the parks. We still know which ones we're going to attend but would like flexibility. Plus it'll be spring break for my state and I do worry that a park will "sell out" by the time I decide and I don't want that anxiety. But we have a few trips planned this year so definitely going to be upgrading at least by the last day. I may also just be overthinking this lol
I remember reading Tutto Italia was recently added to the 20% list, but I am not sure of the other restaurants off the top of my head.

I understand, I flag the photographers down as well! I am a sucker for all the new magic shots and you can really get some nice photographers and great pictures. I remember the first time I upgraded to an AP I got access to all the photos my linked friends had taken on previous trips. I was honestly surprised. I think it would still work today.

I don't blame you for wanting flexibility! You can check the AP availability calendar to look at reservations. So far the only day I see restricted is 5/4 in DHS. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/passes/calendar/disney-incredi-pass

Yes! Feel it's one of the better values at DW especially if staying for a longer time frame. I make sure I get my money's worth lol. I just did a quick scan of AP discounts for restaurants and no difference from Visa so all quiet on that front. Maybe I'll just wait and see what happens when I get down there. I'll check out the reservation situation and if it looks wide open maybe I'll just upgrade there and then. Staying at your namesake hotel and was told to do it at the ticket booths at the TTC as there's no wait.

Yes! Feel it's one of the better values at DW especially if staying for a longer time frame. I make sure I get my money's worth lol. I just did a quick scan of AP discounts for restaurants and no difference from Visa so all quiet on that front. Maybe I'll just wait and see what happens when I get down there. I'll check out the reservation situation and if it looks wide open maybe I'll just upgrade there and then. Staying at your namesake hotel and was told to do it at the ticket booths at the TTC as there's no wait.
Sounds like you have a good plan! Enjoy the trip!

We purchased APs through Shades of Green a few months back. I was under the impression that they are "gate ready" meaning they would automatically activate when we tapped in to our first park. However, today I viewed the passes in the app and I'm getting a message that says "NOT VALID FOR ADMISSION - Must Show ID at Ticket Window Before Using". I would like to take care of this the day before our first park day at Disney Springs, but don't want the countdown to begin until the enter the park the following day. The reason is because I have a return trip booked for a year later on the back end of the AP and want the last day of our trip to be the day before expiration.

My question is, can I get the AP verified at DS the day before, without it counting as my first day of AP usage?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!