Tim Tracker advised not to take selfies with guests at Magic Kingdom

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know too Tm and Jenn have all along, since I started watching, clearly stated in their YouseDay mail vlogs I've seen that you DON'T have to send them anything, or buy them anything. They have also said they do not do meet and greets (answering questions/requests for this), because "Disney does not like them".
Now THIS is really silly of Disney and their marketing dept. If they were smart they'd try to work with them as they represent a gold mine of marketing and advertising for them. I'm biased of course, I rather enjoy a lot of the different vloggers work.

As far as the discussion about vlogger income and how they spend it...who the heck cares. It is ridiculous to judge someone for working hard, and getting paid unless they are immensely greedy jerks who steal from the poor and that's probably definitely not the case with vloggers. lol.

I'm not convinced this is true to be honest, it could easily be a case of "I don't want to take selfies anymore, lets lame Disney"

What leads you to doubt it? Or to think they'd be lying?

Tim and Jen are not the first to have reported being asked not to do meet and greets with guests. Also, Disney's own site states:
  • All Guests may dress as their favorite character, but may not pose for pictures or sign autographs for other Guests.
While a YouTube personality is not technically "in costume", it's functionally the same thing. Disney does not want to have non-Disney-employees in any way appearing to represent them, for obvious liability reasons.

What leads you to doubt it? Or to think they'd be lying?

Tim and Jen are not the first to have reported being asked not to do meet and greets with guests. Also, Disney's own site states:
  • All Guests may dress as their favorite character, but may not pose for pictures or sign autographs for other Guests.
While a YouTube personality is not technically "in costume", it's functionally the same thing. Disney does not want to have non-Disney-employees in any way appearing to represent them, for obvious liability reasons.

It's just my personal feeling on the matter.

I'm not convinced this is true to be honest, it could easily be a case of "I don't want to take selfies anymore, lets lame Disney"

I am pretty sure there was a vlog of it when it happened. Not the actual interaction with the guard but while he was in the park he said he had just been approached by management after being followed for a bit and then told.

FWIW, Dh said he has seen pics of him and guests online since so Tim may be treating this as a one-off from a single manager or perhaps he was contacted by managment or PR and said it's okay just keep it toned down/on the down-low.

It's just my personal feeling on the matter.

Tim doesn't come across as that type Sean, maybe I'm just limiting my scope to believing what he's actually saying. I would think he would address it differently if he didn't want to take the selfies than blame Disney for it.

why does Disney or anyone care?

Because any "celebrity" (or other recognizable person, even if they're not strictly celebrities) who is in the park, and doing meet-and-greets with guests, can be perceived as representing Disney. If the celebrity acts badly, that reflects on Disney and puts them in a position of liability.

Disney controls the "show" (namely everything the guest experiences while on Disney property, including rides, characters, meet-and-greets and general atmosphere) very tightly, in order to ensure a consistent, predictable experience for every guest. Every meet-and-greet opportunity on Disney property is carefully planned and orchestrated.

From Disney's perspective, this is less about Tim and the chaos he probably wouldn't create, and more about being strictly consistent in protecting their image and their product (which is the experience guests have of visiting the parks).

I think we forget sometimes that Disney parks are private property, and not public spaces. We're basically walking around a giant stage set, with actors on every side. It's understandable if the company would prefer guests didn't start playing the part of castmembers.

Since you posted this publicly, I'll chime in.

I have watched this vlogger team for well over a year. Over the course of that time, I've seen he and his wife add new vinyl fences, new EV/HEV vehicles being purchased and many other luxuries being discretely touted. In so much that even my beloved Fox 35 news has pulled them onto the set for a prime time interview (even though I asked for parity and for DU to share an equal spot).

With that being said, I very truly admire the ingenuity and artistic ability that once was prevalent with them, but has now been so saturated to the point of drowning. This has become so abundantly clear to me when I personally witnessed the many thousands of local families looking for some sort of assistance to help pay for their food damages during the hurricane that hit here (specifically Irma). Perhaps the local vloggers do donate beyond what is publicly declared?

This is not a case of sour grapes, but a perspective builder for me. I could no longer support an individual/entity/anomaly that capitalizes (or provides a "service") on a luxury expense for most (I raise my hand as well).

I guess that is why I see DU as a viable company; they have much more overhead and should/are looking at quarterly/monthly P/E reports. But, they are an incorporated entity armed with a solid business plan/model and, apparently, the credentials to justify my support.

Fire away.....
The ev you're talking about is around 30-35k its not an expensive car by any means also means the payment is probably around $350-400 a month which again isn't a lot when you dont have kids he has a job outside YouTube and after seen some of the beaters theyve went through they deserved a good car, and the small vinyl fence also doesnt cost a ton on their small lot but someone seems jealous of seeing other upgrade their property little by little to make it more efficient, ive never heard of anyone doing that before lol. Why would they donate when they themselves were without power for over a week and ended up in a hotel?

Because there is a rule about non-Disney sanctioned meet-and-greets, I bet some previous non-Disney meet-and-greet ruined this for everyone else. That's usually why these rules are in place.

Yes and thats a real shame but understand why they did it.

I just saw on Tim Trackers twitter Disney security advised him to not accept picture requests with guests. I'm not sure if the Dis Unplugged team has been contacted as well? The Dis team is out there visible on social media. They have a big following. Why single out Tim? There are other Disney vloggers out there too? I'm sure the Dis team gets asked for some photos when spotted in the parks. Could Disney be putting the hammer down now?

Im sorry but this really chaps my hide. If I paid to enter the park and Tim Trackers paid to enter the park, why on earth am I not allowed to take a photo with him? Disney can't discriminate against one man. Or better yet what if I wanted to use my photo pass and have one of those guys take our photo? You can bet the farm that Disney World capitalizes on all this free publicity from all these bloggers.

Its really a symbiotic relationship. Disney draws customers to visit the parks. Customers that long for more WDW in their life. Bloggers meet that disire by producing videos. The bloggers long to live the dream of getting paid to go to WDW. Disney draws even more customers because of all the promoting the bloggers do on you tube. Disney World makes billions off the entire process.

I would NEVER thought of going to Disneyland if Pete hadn't been raving about how good the weather, food and location was.

Im sorry but this really chaps my hide. If I paid to enter the park and Tim Trackers paid to enter the park, why on earth am I not allowed to take a photo with him? Disney can't discriminate against one man. Or better yet what if I wanted to use my photo pass and have one of those guys take our photo? You can bet the farm that Disney World capitalizes on all this free publicity from all these bloggers.

Its really a symbiotic relationship. Disney draws customers to visit the parks. Customers that long for more WDW in their life. Bloggers meet that disire by producing videos. The bloggers long to live the dream of getting paid to go to WDW. Disney draws even more customers because of all the promoting the bloggers do on you tube. Disney World makes billions off the entire process.

I would NEVER thought of going to Disneyland if Pete hadn't been raving about how good the weather, food and location was.
The compensation the mom bloggers get for all the work they do is a pittance and most of them are so desperate for any type of sponsorship they willingly work for it to be an official blogger for them.

15-30 get picked to go to the red carpet events and such...I'm not talking about the official Disney panel...I mean your average mom bloggers/lifestyle bloggers. But, for the most part, they are happy to accept whatever box of swag Disney sends them and post away!

Just so everyone is aware this was a one time thing. Tim and Jenn have said it must’ve been an angry CM because they’ve been allowed to do it since.
I thought I'd heard them say they'd taken pics with folks since then, but wasn't sure; Thanx very much for clarifying, Ryan!!

I love Tim and Jen Tracker and very much enjoy the content of their vlogs. They deserve whatever income it generates. It is evident that they put a lot of time and energy into what they do and we get to enjoy it for free. I hope they continue to be successful because that means they are giving the fans what they want...more Disney. They are real people, with great personality, sharing the love of Disney. Kudos to them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter