Time for a Mary Poppins attraction

GatorChris

Not of This World
Yip. For me, the greatest film Walt Disney ever produced was Mary Poppins. It's just amazing....or practically perfect in every way. Add that "Saving Mr. Banks" was a success, and a new Mary Poppins film is coming out soon, it's time for Disney to cash in on yet another IP.

So, now it's your turn. What should it look like? Live show or dark ride? Where should it be? And should we ban all references to Yondu on this attraction?

The dark ride seating is the dancing penguins, clam shell style, but will have to not follow the story line per say, have the clam shells climb they fly over the night chimneys with bits of sparkles coming out then over the roof top of the cannon and sky filled kites then down to park plazza, where the clam shels turn and swivel to the various sights of the carousel ride and ride ends with laughing room. Location lagoon north dock, taking up the ugly bend in the track and parts of Autopia and over the lagoon. Flat wall facing Small world allows for space for projections. a 43 second ride like gadget coaster!!!!

Unfortunately for me, Old Yeller was my first memorable film, to young to have been a Poppins fan, so I am somewhat jaded.

I was 8 when the first MP film was released. I loved the songs, the characters, and the idea. I'd enjoyed the book, but I just didn't love the movie. I've since played it for 2 subsequent generations of kids and they've pretty much had the same reaction; there are fantastic parts to it but a lot of it is...I don't know. Silly? Overdone? I never liked the animation scenes. The movie is too long; the first half is great but then it goes downhill and never fully recovers, though I liked the ending. I thought the character actors were wonderful but IMO some of their scenes were of questionable value in the movie (better suited to a book). OTOH, it has what it takes to make a great ride with catchy songs, fun characters and lots of action to choose from, so there is that. I mean, I LOVED the Haley Mills movies but I don't see Pollyanna or the Parent Trap as making for a fun ride :)

...plus today's kids would have no idea who Haley Mills was and if they knew the movies at all, it would probably be the Lindsay Lohan version of Parent Trap LOL.

Dang, I just realized how old I am. Even today's kids' parents probably wouldn't know those movies!

...plus today's kids would have no idea who Haley Mills was and if they knew the movies at all, it would probably be the Lindsay Lohan version of Parent Trap LOL.

That would be the worst...Lohan forever immortalized at a Disney Park. My mom raised us on Haley Mills films....I could practically quote the entire screen play to Summer Magic. But yeah, probably wouldn't make for great films. The Mary Poppins movie has so many sequences that could lend itself to a great ride.

I'd love to hear more. Unfortunately, this post has been moved into the black hole of the DL Community Board. Where all great posts meet a premature death. Bummed.

Since the Mary Poppins author very vocally didn't want the story to be over-commercialized, it wouldn't look great for Disney to turn it into a theme park ride. Not saying that would be right or wrong, but a little distasteful, perhaps.

While I agree with @Shanti, the selfish part of me would love to see Pinocchio removed and a Mary Poppins ride instead. Actually, I think a walk through could be more fun where we go through the chalk paintings, but it's probably better to just do a ride that goes through the story.

I didn't know that a new movie was coming out. I hope it will be as magical as the former.

Dang, I just realized how old I am. Even today's kids' parents probably wouldn't know those movies!
OMG I LOVED Parent Trap so much! I watched that movie over and over and over (they Hayley Mills one, obviously).

Did anyone watch The Trouble With Angels? Loved that one too.

Last edited:
This isn't an attraction as much as a character meet... I always wondered why there was no Robin Hood? Robin Hood was my favourite film when I was a kid and I always felt that he should be at Disneyland with Marion. Maybe he was at some point?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!