Time of Year to Visit

stardust190

Earning My Ears
Hello! I'm planning a stay at Aulani for my 40th birthday. I'm thinking anywhere from 10-14 days. For some reason I really want to spend my actual birthday in Hawaii. Maybe to soften the blow of hitting 40. My birthday, however, is in mid-July. Will that be a bad time to visit Hawaii? We're from Minnesota and part of me wants to delay our trip until it is FREEZING here so we can escape to someplace warm, but then I won't be spending my actual birthday IN Hawaii. What would you all do? It will be me, my husband and our two kids (12 and 10 at the time of the trip).

Summer is my favorite time to visit Hawaii simply because I get super chilled when I swim and the ocean waters are warmer in the summer.
The winter is great time to go too, I would not complain if I was on a plane right now to Hawaii but I just find the water a bit too cold to enjoy for too long in the winter and I love to snorkel

Summer can get pretty busy at Aulani, just keep that in mind.

When does the resort start decorting for Christmas? Thinking about mid Nov or early Dec trip. TIA

Any time is (weather) perfect for Oahu IMO - but Summer is more busy as mainlanders all tend to visit. For that reason I would pick another time. Are you restricted to school holidays? We like April and September for our visits but have also been January / March / June / October / November / December.

I’ve taken trips to celebrate my birthday that were both over my birthday and before or after it. However, I much prefer when the trip is over my birthday. That being said, I love Hawaii and normally go during the summer. Crowds don’t bother me because I can only travel during high peak times. Turning 40 is a pretty big deal, do what makes you happy.

We live in NY and the problem with going in the winter months is that poor weather can impact air travel so much. We have to fly cross country so if something gets thrown off virtually anywhere in the U.S., it could impact our flight. Its also still winter in Hawaii - while that doesn't equate to snow and ice, there can still be sometimes cooler temperatures (i.e. 70s) and rougher waters too, depending on what storms are happening.

I agree with PP that July and August will be busy with families with school age children taking their summer vacations. Its like that anywhere that's a vacation destination in the summer. But I would still opt for this time of year over the winter months.

We visited in mid-late September, which was perfect. We were on the tail end of summer season but kids had already gone back to school, so crowds were very manageable. Temperatures were also in the 80s the whole time and we experienced zero rain the entire 16 days we were there.

The summer is beautiful in Hawaii, but it will definitely be more crowded. We go every November and it's awesome!

We went in June when schools were out and we really didn’t have any issues with crowds. I would personally though not want to spend that much time at Aulani (not that it’s not beautiful). I’d want to do at least 2 islands if I stayed 14 days; we did 4. Thinking two for next trip, prob 10 days.

When does the resort start decorting for Christmas? Thinking about mid Nov or early Dec trip. TIA

To the OP - Congrats on the 40th! Personally, I would rather escape to Hawaii for the winter as opposed to the summer, but that's just me. Maybe just decide to be 39 for a few more months, then let the 4-0 roll around during the winter time? ;)

Christmas is a lot of fun - a few people decorate their balcony with lights and such as well. I snapped a photo from the lobby on a rare moment that nobody was around. We're already booked for Christmas 2020.

We went in June when schools were out and we really didn’t have any issues with crowds. I would personally though not want to spend that much time at Aulani (not that it’s not beautiful). I’d want to do at least 2 islands if I stayed 14 days; we did 4. Thinking two for next trip, prob 10 days.
I know here in NY, schools aren't out until the last week of June and with all different end days that week. So people from my area generally will travel in July and August, making that the height of summer travel season.

I do agree that 14 days at Aulani would be too much for us, too. We did 6 days at Aulani and thought it was perfect. I think its enough time to visit another island, or at least stay on a different part of Oahu for some of it.

We go every other year in February. 1. the escape from winter, 2. our anniversary, and (most important) 3. THE WHALES. You will see so many whales during their migration. We were once fortunate enough to see dozens, AT ONCE, breeching. 50 or so. One of the most amazing sights we've even seen.

We were there during thanksgiving week and they had the decorations up at some point early in the week. Nov is nice time to visit with low crowds, but it felt windier to us; although no rain. The chill factor is variable to someone from Minnesota to us who live in warmer places. So, I would not deter that from being a reason to not visit during the winter months. We love stays during end of May/early June.

Hello! I'm planning a stay at Aulani for my 40th birthday. I'm thinking anywhere from 10-14 days. For some reason I really want to spend my actual birthday in Hawaii. Maybe to soften the blow of hitting 40. My birthday, however, is in mid-July. Will that be a bad time to visit Hawaii? We're from Minnesota and part of me wants to delay our trip until it is FREEZING here so we can escape to someplace warm, but then I won't be spending my actual birthday IN Hawaii. What would you all do? It will be me, my husband and our two kids (12 and 10 at the time of the trip).
We visited Aulani in January and it was perfect for escaping the winter weather. However, I think that it would be worth it to spend your actual birthday there in July.

Are the pools heated in December?
Pools are heated; however, it does get chilly after sunset, which is earlier during the winter months. I recommend doing all of your water activities done prior to that. Still good to be out and about in the evening as there are plenty of other things to do.

This is me, except my birthday is two days after Christmas. The pricing at that time is unbelievable! :( I had really hoped to be in Hawaii on my actual birthday as it's really never been celebrated in a "big" way and I thought my 40th would be a good excuse for something special. Even looking at other destinations the prices are just sky high. We have never been to Hawaii so not sure how best to answer your question, but have heard it is nice in the spring so I'm thinking of postponing my bday celebration until the Spring of 2021.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I have a while to decide what to do. I'm gong to look into visiting multiple islands. Not sure where we would stay on the other islands. For those who have done this how do you get to the other islands? I'm not a huge fan of flying and having to take a puddle jumper freaks me out. Will this be an issue? Can you travel by boat? I've sailed on several Disney ships, but I imagine if there are boats they aren't that big. I guess I'm clueless about all of it. :)

I think I'm leaning more towards going on my birthday as I just want to celebrate over my 40th. My b-day is on July 19th and my son's is on the 16th so we really could both celebrate. My daughter, however, hates this idea s she NEVER (her over dramatic words) gets to do stuff on her birthday. She's the youngest and always looking for fairness so I worry about that a bit. We spent my husbands birthday last year on Castaway Cay. And if we spend mine and my son's in Hawaii my daughter will have an issue. Even though she spent her last birthday at Great Wolf Lodge - must not count because there is no Mickey Mouse.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I have a while to decide what to do. I'm gong to look into visiting multiple islands. Not sure where we would stay on the other islands. For those who have done this how do you get to the other islands? I'm not a huge fan of flying and having to take a puddle jumper freaks me out. Will this be an issue? Can you travel by boat? I've sailed on several Disney ships, but I imagine if there are boats they aren't that big. I guess I'm clueless about all of it. :)

I think I'm leaning more towards going on my birthday as I just want to celebrate over my 40th. My b-day is on July 19th and my son's is on the 16th so we really could both celebrate. My daughter, however, hates this idea s she NEVER (her over dramatic words) gets to do stuff on her birthday. She's the youngest and always looking for fairness so I worry about that a bit. We spent my husbands birthday last year on Castaway Cay. And if we spend mine and my son's in Hawaii my daughter will have an issue. Even though she spent her last birthday at Great Wolf Lodge - must not count because there is no Mickey Mouse.
There is a Norwegian cruise that leaves from Hawaii and stops at quite a few different islands. I’ve been looking into this cruise myself.

There is a Norwegian cruise that leaves from Hawaii and stops at quite a few different islands. I’ve been looking into this cruise myself.

Pride of America. It’s a fine cruise, although the ship itself, despite a recent renovation, is getting a bit dated. Very convenient way to see the islands, and since it’s US flagged, it doesn’t need to waste time sailing to a foreign port simply in order to comply with the Jones Act.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!