tip or recommendation

teachbrooks

Earning My Ears
We've been to WDW the second and third weeks of March and the first week of June. (four trips total) In planning another trip, I'm trying to decide between the second week of August, week after Christmas (26th-31st), Dec. 31-Jan. 5, or the second week in March. What are your best recommendations. My husband hates the big crowds.
Thanks.:confused: :confused: :confused:

The week between Christmas and New Year's is supposed to be the most crowded of the whole year. I would definitely avoid it.

We have been there for that time period several times. It is crowded from the weekend before Christmas until New Years Day and then the crowds leave and it is great. The weather is usually wonderful. The crowds are light. I personally would go then.

Thank you for the help. I was leaning to the Dec. 31-Jan. dates, but I was afraid it might still be crowded and cold. I don't like weather under 60 degrees very well, but my husband does.

Keep in mind that you get a trade-off when you go in the Value Season time periods, or any other time that is not as crowded as others.

Disney watches their hotel bookings and they also take a poll of some of the off-site hotels and when they feel they can accurately predict a lower than prime attendance and it matches with their historical records, they close the parks earlier. The only exception is Epcot, which is almost always open until 9pm. For instance, there are times when the Magic Kingdom closes as early as 6pm. They also cut down or eliminate the number of night time parades. There are many weeks during the year when the Magic Kingdom has the Spectro Magic parade on Saturday evenings or Friday and Saturday evenings.

So my conclusion is, it's good to try to avoid the crowds but you should pre-plan your days so that you visit a park when it has the events you're interested in.

A good place to check the hours and events at the parks is at the UN-Official Disney Site at Un Official DIS Site and then look at the 'Park Hours' section. Note: this site is also maintained by the Hosts of this board.

It seems like the parks are going to be very crowded during each week that you suggested. Is it possible for you
to go at other times? My ultimate favorite is the first week in December... all the decorations and special activities
really get me in the mood for the holidays.

Kristy

It was very cold last year Dec 25-Jan 4. The parks were extremely crowded until New Year's. We had a terrific time though!:earsgirl:

If I were you I would choose the Dec. 31-January trip. Although it may be cold, it's worth it! The parks are usually empty in the early afternoon New Year's Day. The next day is when people tend to go home. I went to Busch Gardens on January 3 and could walk right on to the most popular coasters.:bounce:

If you had to choose between those I'd choose the 2nd week of August, because school usually starts for some schools. But probably the end of January and start of February is the best, at least that's what I've found out.

Hey Teachbrooks (Karen right?),
Long time no see. Welcome back. I personally would choose the week starting December 31st. I'm always too broke from Christmas to go then, but it would be fun to be at WDW for New Years Eve.:bounce: The beginning of March is Spring braek for a lot of schools and the week after Christmas is supposed to be THE WORST time crowd wise.

See you around,
KarenT

I am amazed that you remembered.
It looks like a December trip. Our children want to go then as opposed to March.
My oldest DD is trying to convince her husband (who has never been) that it will be the trip of his lifetime. I'm not sure if he has ever been any farther east than Ft. Smith, Ar. or Kansas City, Mo. He wants to know what the deal is with a cartoon character. We feel sorry for him, but we hope to facilitate his education soon.
I'm teaching days and night school also so I think I need a dose of pixie dust in December.Thanks for your replies.
Karen

I went Dec 27th - Jan1st 2000-2001 and I have to say it was REALLY REALLY crowded. Plus the weather is so unpredicatable that time of year. It was 70º when we got there and a cold front moved through and it didn't get above 45º the rest of the trip. Mickey Mouse made a ton of $$ off me that week. I brought short sleeve shirts and ended up having to buy sweatshirts and jackets. Oh well. Anyhow the crowds are horrible that time of year. Over a 3hr wait for SM in the MK everyday we were there.
We are going in late august this time so i hope things will be calmer. LOL at least I know it'll be warmer LOL
Tina

I'd definately go with the December/January dates. I was in WDW from Jan. 7-12, and had a great time! Crowds were more than managable. As other posters have mentioned, it tends to get cold this time of year, but if avoiding crowds is your main goal, then this is the time to go. Make sure to check guide maps for park hours, because parks do close early at this time of year.

We were there Dec. 28-Jan.2 this year. The days just before New Year's were very, very crowded, but on New Year's Day it magically thinned out. I would opt for first week in Jan. Last year, though, it was very cold. Unlike anything in years. I wore all the clothes that I took--at the same time!

They will keep the decorations up for a few days after New Years, but the parks don't stay open very late that week.
'
Have fun......
JB

Since I go to WDW year round I must say the least crowded time is actually in late Febuary and early March. A friend and I managed to go to all 4 parks in one day and ride all of the major thrill rides at each one and even manage to get in Rockin' Rollercoaster 4 times. The weather is nice then too. And the hotel prices are really good. We have looked into staying overnight around that time but unfortunately with school and work it makes it hard. That also means it makes it hard for others so it is less crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter