Tipping a party host for a kids birthday party?

LoveMyBoys

DIS Veteran
When you have a kids birthday party outside the home at some kids venue, and they provide a host (usually a teenager) do you tip them, and if yes how much.

The reason I am asking is because I just had DS's 8th birthday at a local bowling place, and we had a young girl as our host (she was maybe 16 or so). She brought out the pizzas and cut the cake. I myself did the serving and the drinks. At the end of the 2 hours we got the bill and on it they had suggested tipping amounts of 15%, 18%, and 20%. I was kind of taken aback. I was planning on tipping her but wasn't thinking about that much. The total bill was about $300. I did tip 15%, but now am wondering for future if this is really the norm. I mean she is not a waitress, so she doesn't get paid below minimum wage, and the food portion of the bill is not that much. I don't want to be cheap, and would like to tip an appropriate amount, but am trying to figure out what it is.

I would not have tipped what they suggested....that is too much for the amount of work that she did.

I always have my kids party @ Chuck E. Cheese and there is one guy there that we have had several times and I will tip him $20-$25. The only thing that he does is bring out the pizzas, drinks & cut the cake (also cleans up afterwards) but I feel that is more than enough of a tip for him and he always seems very appreciative, so he must be okay with it. At my DD's last party, we went to a different Chuck E. Cheese and it was awful. The tables weren't set up at all, I had to keep going to get things myself and I could never find the girl that was supposed to be helping me. It was just an awful experience. I didn't tip her a thing b/c she didn't deserve anything.

Also, I worked at a skating rink in college (17 years ago) and on Saturdays the only thing I did was host birthday parties. My duties were to set up party, serve pizza, drinks, ice cream, cut & serve cake, bag up presents while the b'day child opened them and clean up afterwards. We were hardly ever tipped and we didn't expect it either. We were paid at least minimum wage and that was fine with us. When we were tipped, we were really floored and actually tried to give it back several times. It just wasn't expected.

I think you tipping them 15% was way more than I would have done for what it sounds like you got. I also don't like that it told you on the bill what suggested tip percentages were.

Sorry my reply was so long.

It never even occured to me to tip. Especially given that I pay $200-$300 for 1 1/2-2 hours. I think at those rates the business should be paying the staff adequately, they shouldn't leave it up to us to pay their staff. Tipping is getting outrageous these days. They want you to tip for everything and the percentages are getting quite high IMO. and I actually like giving good tips, or at least I used to.

Thanks everyone, I usually tip about $20 a person. My younger DS had a party earlier this year at a gym type place, and there were two hosts, so I tipped them both $20 each. This time around I only had 10 kids, 2 lanes and a lane for adults, I was going to give her $20 as well, but was shocked to see their suggested tipping amounts.

I agree that tipping is getting out of control. I can't keep up! Everyone is looking for more and more and they are only doing the job they are hired to do. Unless they go above and beyond the minimum expectations at a birthday party I do not tip - their service was already included in the cost of the party.

I wish the expectation to tip would go away unless it is a service industry job. I can't keep up and I would prefer to include the "tip" in the cost.

I tip $20. We just had a party at Skate Nation, and they were really helpful with gathering up gifts, helping the kids into their skates, plus the usual help with food and drinks. I probably should have tipped more, but just went into auto-pilot and tipped what I always do for this type of party.

We tip $20 per person. The host is usually responsible for decorating and cleaning up the area, in addition to cutting and serving the cake, bringing out any food and beverages, and making sure the kids are set for the activity -- and they usually have more than 1 party to work simultaneously. I want to reward good service.

I tip what I see fit...Case in point.My DD had her birthday at an inflatable place.We had 2 teen hosts. I never saw them at all...except when it was time for cake,pizza- and I had to track them down.I served the cake and pizza/drinks myself.I had one child get sick and vomit on the floor, the host handed me clean up supplies and walked away.They also were supposed to keep a list of gifts received etc( part of the party pkg) I did that as well because they were too busy talking in the back of the room.So when I was given a suggested tip of 20%( the party was $400) ..I balked and went to the mgr to explain exactly why I wasn't tipping that.

Yes you are supposed to tip. My BFF is the manager of parties at her bowling alley and she does quite a bit of work for the parties before during and after. I would tip the same as I would any other waitress. If the service is good 20% if the service was bad well less much much less.....

Yes you are supposed to tip. My BFF is the manager of parties at her bowling alley and she does quite a bit of work for the parties before during and after. I would tip the same as I would any other waitress. If the service is good 20% if the service was bad well less much much less.....

Do they get paid the same rate as a waitress, like $3 an hour?

I had my DS and DD's party at an inflatable place this year as well. We had 4 teen helpers and tipped them $20 each. However, they were great! They kept the kids entertained by starting games in the larger inflatables and monitored the room well. They also unloaded/loaded my car, got everything organized and ready, served the food and cake, kept a list of gifts and cleaned everything up. It was by far one of the best parties we have had for the kids. It was over $400, but it was for 2 kids and like I said it was great. If the service was poor we would have tipped much less.

I agree with the PP who said tipping is getting out of hand. I also think parties are getting out of hand in general. Some of the parties we have been to are outrageous. I was driving by a house in my neighborhood this weekend and they had an outside party with a bounce house and a guy with a huge snake around his neck. It looked like something off of a movie. I guess to some my party might have seemed overboard. To each their own I guess :goodvibes

I guess it depends on the place, and the job they do- I worked at Chuck E Cheese (for too long) first as at showroom party hostess- we were usually given tips (always take the bill to the Dad;)) sometimes it was 10-20% of the bill others it was $20 or so it just depended on the people. Most of the time anymore at these types of place the kids are making minimum wage not like the $200 an hour waitresses used to get so it is really up to you.

I am a party host at a bounce house facility. I set up the party room, watch the children for an hour(make sure everyone is safe etc) serve pizza or whatever kind of food, serve and cut the cake, help with presents, bring everything to the car, clean the room and then do it about 3 more times that day. My boss pays me minimum wage expecting us to receive $30-$50 tips. I agree that we should origionally get paid more but it is not the hosts fault that this is their situation. I understand that some party hosts are awful, but a good party host should be polite, happy, verifing, on task and be there to help you. If one meets all of those commitments, please tip! Even if it is $5 it will mean a lot to us! I promise!

If we had a party someplace where I knew the hosts were really waitresses and made waitress wages I would definitely tip.
ChuckECheese...no. They are paid about minimum wage if not more and that is their job. As someone else said, tipping is getting completely out of control. You tip people who are paid less than minimum wage. It is also nice to tip when you receive exceptional service.
Honestly the only times we have had a ChuckECheese party (twice) we have had quite awful 'service' anyways. Cold food, broken up tables because they overbooked, had to go up and get cups because the hostess 'forgot'. Maybe our location is just unorganized but I haven't been impressed and I wouldn't have thought to tip either one.

When you have a kids birthday party outside the home at some kids venue, and they provide a host (usually a teenager) do you tip them, and if yes how much.

The reason I am asking is because I just had DS's 8th birthday at a local bowling place, and we had a young girl as our host (she was maybe 16 or so). She brought out the pizzas and cut the cake. I myself did the serving and the drinks. At the end of the 2 hours we got the bill and on it they had suggested tipping amounts of 15%, 18%, and 20%. I was kind of taken aback. I was planning on tipping her but wasn't thinking about that much. The total bill was about $300. I did tip 15%, but now am wondering for future if this is really the norm. I mean she is not a waitress, so she doesn't get paid below minimum wage, and the food portion of the bill is not that much. I don't want to be cheap, and would like to tip an appropriate amount, but am trying to figure out what it is.

The couple of times that I had a kids party at a venue that provided a teenage party host, the venue automatically added an 18% gratuity on to the bill, so there was no question that it was EXPECTED at at least 18%. The paperwork stated that they gratuity would be added onto the final bill for the (entire) cost of the party and that you were free to tip extra if you wished. This was true of our parties at the rock climbing gym, the gymnastics studio and the local ice cream parlor.

So yes, it's expected.

At my sons last birthday party I tipped two party hosts $30 each. The one guy was AWESOME, the other just okay (but probably better than average, just not with the guy he was with). I would have tipped the better guy more, but wanted to keep it the same and not break the bank.

While I agree that tipping is expected, it doesn't seem to me that it should be a portion of the bill. If you are tipping 20% I have a hard time believing that all of that goes to the server - otherwise every teen would want to work in a bowling ally - while I do think the kids are probably the $20 cash I'm giving them.

We had DD's party at the zoo last summer. I did tip the hosts (there were 2 girls). I have them $25.00 each. The total cost of the party was about $350. I guess that was about 15%.

I have five kids, so I always have birthday parties at some kind of venue. Most of the time, our party hosts are teenagers but I always tip at least $30, sometimes more depending on how well the host did. The places I tend to go, the host sets up party room, helps me with decorations, serves the kids and cleans the room. Yes, they are teenagers but that's a lot of work for one person. I usually tip generously compared to a waiter just because that host is specific to your party.

I have never been tipped in the 11 years I've been a party host. I do get to eat what every they are eating though (Cake, Pizza, ext.).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts