Tipping for luggage transfer during split stay

CarolinaBlue99

Mouseketeer
We are doing a split stay at AKL then Swan and planning to ask bell services to transfer our luggage while we are at MK. What do people usually tip for this? I am assuming we tip on both ends of the transfer. Thanks!

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think you could transfer luggage from a disney resort to a non-disney resort.

ETA: To answer your question, we usually tip $1-$2 per bag.

We were told by the bell man we could not a few weeks when we moved from Poly to the Dolphin. We were planning to take an Uber anyway so it was fine but I decided to ask anyway and see what answer I would get. Using Uber was Fast, easy and not expensive. Needed bell service anyway as we have an owners locker that has to be brought to the front desk. So we tipped the bellman and then handled our own bags at the Dolphin. If we didn’t have the owners locker we could have brought our own bags since I find it so easy to get to the pick up area at Poly. We also pack light.

I'd heard on the Swan/Dolphin and the AKL boards that people had successfully transferred bags both ways between those two resorts. But appreciate for the heads up. We will check when we arrive at AKL and plan on Ubering if necessary. Thanks!

I believe I transferred on at least 1 prior trip to/from the Dolphin. Maybe better to check directly with the bell services number or the front desk than rely on a response from a single bell man.

When I’ve done this, I tip $1 to $2 per bag. I tip when they take the luggage as well as when I’m at the new resort. I find it easier, though, to just transfer it myself in an Uber. I’ve waited a very long time ( 5pm or later) to have our luggage delivered using the luggage transfer service. If you’re the type to stay at the park until late or just not need access to your bags, though, the luggage transfer is very convenient. We tend only stay in the park until 12 or 1 and then like to swim. It’s a little inconvenient (although I’ve done it) to bring a bag with swimsuits and anything else we might want along to the park.

Agree with the 1-2 $ a bag and I have definitely had my bags moved from and to the Dolphin, most recently in April from Dolphin to the Boardwalk.

Do you take your bags to and from Bell Services yourself? Or can they be taken and delivered directly to your room?

Do you take your bags to and from Bell Services yourself? Or can they be taken and delivered directly to your room?
You can call Bell Services to pick up your bags from your room (I’ve even called the day before and scheduled a pick up time on a GF/YC split) and you can call Bell Services to deliver your bags at your second resort once you are in your room. But you must be in your room both times, unlike DME where they deliver your bags from MCO to your room even if you aren’t in it.
I travel light, so I tend to just wheel my suitcase & carry on down to Bell Services myself & then stop by to collect them at my second resort on my way to my room.

We tip on the front end if they come to our room to pick up the luggage from us. If not, we take it down and only tip on the receiving end of resort transfer. 1 to 2 dollars a bag each way.

We are doing a split stay at AKL then Swan and planning to ask bell services to transfer our luggage while we are at MK. What do people usually tip for this? I am assuming we tip on both ends of the transfer. Thanks!
A good rule of thumb is, if they touch your luggage, you tip. I tip $1 per bag if I have a lot. Usually $5 is the least I'll tip so some of it depends on how much luggage I have.

Thanks, everyone! I was planning on tipping -- just wanted to hear the "going rate" at Disney. It's good to hear that everyone is in roughly the same range.

You can call Bell Services to pick up your bags from your room (I’ve even called the day before and scheduled a pick up time on a GF/YC split) and you can call Bell Services to deliver your bags at your second resort once you are in your room. But you must be in your room both times, unlike DME where they deliver your bags from MCO to your room even if you aren’t in it.
I travel light, so I tend to just wheel my suitcase & carry on down to Bell Services myself & then stop by to collect them at my second resort on my way to my room.
Thankyou. Sorry to hijack the post.
This won't work for us, so do they let you "borrow" luggage carts at the deluxe resorts? We've always been able to at Pop Century but we're staying Deluxe this time.

Thankyou. Sorry to hijack the post.
This won't work for us, so do they let you "borrow" luggage carts at the deluxe resorts? We've always been able to at Pop Century but we're staying Deluxe this time.

There are reports of them not allowing guests to borrow their luggage carts anymore.

Just wanted to add that you might want to tip twice, when they take your luggage, and, at the new resort, when they bring it to your room.

We find using Bell services is convenient, never had to wait too long, and the luggages are not kept in the Florida sun. Always useful if you have chocolate and/or medication with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!