Tipping is out of control!

Definitely!! One of my good friends has a degree in Social Work and just left a job "in her field" at a hospital to be a full time server at Texas Roadhouse because she makes more money and has much less stress.

i had a number of coworkers at dshs who complained how much less they made in the profession than they had at their college server's jobs. i think they largely stayed just b/c of the benefits (had some resign and go back to it when they married and got on their spouse's benefits though).

The whole tip jar issue has never bothered me. I mean, I hardly ever put anything in them, but the mere presence of it doesn't really affect me. Heck, I could stick a tip jar on my desk, just to see if anyone would put anything in it - doesn't mean I would expect anyone to contribute to it, but if someone does, bonus! :D

I put a piece of paper in the tip jar that says "Go to college or get educated in another profession"

Tip jars for no real service, restaurant industry for a LOOOONG time so tip very well there. Getting me a cup of coffee, sorry, no tip

Your note seems like a lot of effort just to insult hard working folks trying to provide you with coffee. I don’t always tip the barista (but often do), but there’s no need to be nasty to people for the just the hell of it. Yikes. Are you ever with other people when this occurs? I’d be embarrassed frankly.

Starbucks (and a number of other fast food places) have a program for their employees - a stipend or a scholarship, not sure which, that actually provides for the employee to be in post-secondary school. So a tip jar note about, "Go to college," is twice as condescending in this instance.

I put a piece of paper in the tip jar that says "Go to college or get educated in another profession"

Tip jars for no real service, restaurant industry for a LOOOONG time so tip very well there. Getting me a cup of coffee, sorry, no tip

Tipping shouldn’t be a function of what the person is paid but a function of how well they did their service job.

If you tip based on whether they get paid a living wage you should really look into what is a living wage.

San Francisco has a $15 minimum wage, what many consider a living wage.

The average rent for a 1 bedroom apartment is $3294 a month.

That means you need to make $19 an hour just to pay rent. No taxes paid, no food, no power, nothing else. In San Francisco a true living wage would be about $70 an hour. That way only 50% of your monthly take home goes to rent. Still way above recommended levels. So maybe more like $90 an hour for San Francisco.

If you want to tip based on a living wage you should probably be tipping in the tens of thousands of percent range.

I agree with the bolded. I don't care if a server makes $2 an hour, or $15 I will still tip them standard 20% if their service was good.
I am tipping them because they offered me a more personal service than someone that just stands at the counter and takes my order and hands me a bag or tray when it's ready. I don't tip them but it isn't because they already make minimum wage, it's because I don't see their job as one where they are giving me "personal" service, they are giving me general customer service same as the cashier at the grocery store and I wouldn't tip them.

On an added note I just read an article this morning about waiterstaff in San Francisco can't afford to live there even when making a "living wage".
https://www.sfgate.com/g00/technolo...uZHJ1ZGdlcmVwb3J0LmNvbS8=&i10c.ua=1&i10c.dv=6

Right. And I would not say that as my tip, solely in response to someone who says "get your own coffee". As mentioned earlier, you don't tip the bank teller, the auto mechanic, the plumber, etc. They're all doing services for you.

Using the example of a tip jar (or tip line) at Panera... you collect your food, make your own drink, bus your own table. What exactly are you tipping FOR?

Ok, maybe its just your examples but do you have any clue what an auto mechanic or a plumber actually make? I am fairly sure it is high above what a lot of college grad professionals make.

Tips are for service well done but tipped positions are those that make below a certain amount. The idea is that they work harder to give you excellent services so that you will tip them and give them a living wage. Its a dumb way to do things, but here we are.

I am not tipping the tow truck guy, he makes darn good money. If dh tried to tip the tow truck guy for his 18 wheeler the guy would laugh at him--they make a very good living and then some. Or the plumber, electrician or the a/c guy!

Definitely!! One of my good friends has a degree in Social Work and just left a job "in her field" at a hospital to be a full time server at Texas Roadhouse because she makes more money and has much less stress.
Lol! I’m a social worker! Maybe I should look into this! I do ok, but you definitely have to work in the “right” area of the field & have your clinical license.

Ok, maybe its just your examples but do you have any clue what an auto mechanic or a plumber actually make? I am fairly sure it is high above what a lot of college grad professionals make.
Sigh. The point is if you pay wait staff more, then tips would not be expected.

Tips are for service well done but tipped positions are those that make below a certain amount. The idea is that they work harder to give you excellent services so that you will tip them and give them a living wage. Its a dumb way to do things, but here we are.
Sure, that's the idea, but that's not what's happening. It's EXPECTED that you give x% regardless of how hard they work.

Sigh. The point is if you pay wait staff more, then tips would not be expected.

Sure, that's the idea, but that's not what's happening. It's EXPECTED that you give x% regardless of how hard they work.

By whom? The tip I give is based on the service I receive and goes all the way down to $0. WE as society have changed what a tip is. All we have to do is change it back.

On the first part, ok. I misunderstood.

I was a waitress for years and would be surprised that any that work in the industry would actually want their hourly pay to go up enough for tips to not be expected. They can make too much more the way it is.

Cool. So barista who is working at Starbucks to help pay her way through college finishes a double shift where she made drinks for impatient people all day, burn her hand on the steam a few times because she was moving faster than she should have to keep up with everyone, gets asked to deal with the tip jar before she leaves for the night and gets to read your thoughtful note. I'm sure you made her day.

The whole tip jar issue has never bothered me. I mean, I hardly ever put anything in them, but the mere presence of it doesn't really affect me. Heck, I could stick a tip jar on my desk, just to see if anyone would put anything in it - doesn't mean I would expect anyone to contribute to it, but if someone does, bonus! :D
That’s me. If you want a tip jar knock yourself out.

Why are we tipping people for doing the most basic part of their job? A tip jar is simply begging, no different than the homeless person on the street. If you feel inclined to get someone something extra, by all means, go ahead. But for me putting out a tip jar is a rude act.

Why are we tipping people for doing the most basic part of their job? A tip jar is simply begging, no different than the homeless person on the street. If you feel inclined to get someone something extra, by all means, go ahead. But for me putting out a tip jar is a rude act.

So because you find something you could easily just ignore (don't want to drop anything in the jar, just don't!) rude, you have to match the rudeness?

I think a jar is a perfect way for people to drop their change if they pay with cash, leave a dollar for exceptional service, etc. You're under no obligation to use it. But what do I know, I'm giving my coffeeshop employees a holiday tip for making my coffee exactly as I like it every day all year, often without me even needing to order it first.

Yes I said tip jars in fast food places are tacky. But that kind of behavior is far worse. If you don't want to tip, don't tip. But don't put things in the tip jar to insult someone. That's just a terrible thing to do.

I would just like to say, I thought of this thread yesterday when my car broke down. I was glad I had a twenty in my purse to tip the roadside assistance guy who changed my flat tire. :)

Also just to add, we have Geico and their roadside assistance app worked like a dream. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter